Pellegrino in

Nordic Saint

He's beginning to show us what he can do now.

We'll see. Will need to see a run of decent attacking performances against poorer opposition before before being swayed. Obviously has done well last 2 matches though and sincerely hope it continues. Would love him to be a huge success.

Two steps in the right direction after about 14 the wrong way!

Encouraging though not enough to change my mind...yet. I hope he can.

We've beaten a dog**** team and played really well in a defensive set up. Last season we did the latter 4 times against Liverhampton.

Much more enjoyable watching now......I want it to develop and not be a flash in the pan.

Been screaming for that back 8 for months now.

Just need the likes of Gabby, Austin, JWP, Hoiberg, Long, Tadic, Boufal, Davis and Redmond fighting for the last 3 places.

Why the bloody hell has it taken so long to try it?

Thé team changes have been forced upon him by the suspension of Romeu. I wonder if there would have been a difference in our play had Romeu not been suspended.

I still withhold judgement to see how things go over the next few games. I wonder how we'll do over the festivities

I am one of the few who said "no" on the initial poll, everyone is far too quick to pull the trigger nowadays, it takes a few months just to acclimatise to a new job, country, life, colleagues etc. let alone getting across his philosophy, I think the 3-0 at the 'pool was the kick up the arse the team needed and we will go on and start to play the MoPe way from this Sunday... Or I could be wrong and we'll get spanked 4-0 and be back to square 1?

I'm no fool and fail to be blinded by two lucky performances. Moyes, Allardyce and Pardew may not be available now, but if we hurry I reckon we could get Tony Pulis in to shore up the ship. Get rid of this tactical clown now.

Perhaps we could get Moyes after W. Ham fire him later on this season...

The performance against Liverpool was genuinely troubling for me. I am still baffled by some of his team selections. The last two games suggest a recovery, which has pushed me back on the fence, especially in light of the lack of decent managerial options out there.

Love how those hating MoPey and were so quick to; judge him, condemn him, and condemn those of us who saw his potential, are now starting to see light at the end of the tunnel (technically still the start!).

The fact is that there was some frankly laughable/embarrassing knee jerkiness from the majority of the fanbase after LESS THAN TEN GAMES. I maintain that he shows promise and deserves time and backing to prove it.

Sadly we have a lot of impatient fans and I hope the recent matches show them that we have an intelligent and tactical manager who will get the best out of what he has available. And more importantly that he needs backing!!

Unfortunately I know that some of them are probably the same fans that will bemoan his lack of loyalty if he were to leave us after a season of success. To call this hypocritical would be one spectacular understatement.

The main reason I wanted Pellegrino gone was that he seemed reluctant to make the changes that most people could see were necessary. And then after some poor displays, he seemed to be happy with the performance. That all pointed to someone who couldn't identify where it was going wrong or what needed changing. Maybe with enough time he might have hit upon the right combination, but how long do you wait before that lightbulb moment? 5 games? 10 games? 20 games? Because it didn't appear to me that he was getting closer and closer to the right solution, just that he was trying different things on a bit of an arbitrary basis.

If he has now started to work out the right changes, then credit to him, I would no longer want him sacked. I might still question why it took so long, and question certain team selections (though I largely agreed with the one at Man City), but as long as he has addressed the problems we've had up to this point, I'm happy.

But at the same time, a few goals against a woeful team and a competent display at Manchester City, while encouraging, do not necessarily erase all the concerns from previous matches.

Initially voted for him to go, I am still not thoroughly convinced even though the last couple of games were much much better, perhaps he should have a bit longer on reflection and see what the transfer window brings. Bournemouth game will have a good bearing on the direction we are going.

Romeu talking to Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph mainly about Pep’s antics on Wednesday but he has a few interesting comments about Pellegrino’s tactics towards the end of the article. Pellegrino apparently wants more forward, line-breaking plays from his team...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/02/southamptons-oriol-romeu-handed-lasting-impression-pep-guardiola/

Romeu talking to Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph mainly about Pep’s antics on Wednesday but he has a few interesting comments about Pellegrino’s tactics towards the end of the article. Pellegrino apparently wants more forward, line-breaking plays from his team...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/02/southamptons-oriol-romeu-handed-lasting-impression-pep-guardiola/

now taking more risks and not pass sideways!

So why was Redmond instructed to defend? Not convinced yet. Think we may regret not getting Allardyce in. Watch them shoot up the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why was Redmond instructed to defend? Not convinced yet. Think we may regret not getting Allardyce in. Watch them shoot up the table

Those instructions were probably for the City game, against one of the most dangerous sides in Europe, where he lined up with a defensive formation. I hope and expect that he approaches Man City differently to Bournemouth.

Almost like different teams call for different tactics.

They played a diabolical West Ham, and a Huddersfield side with its wheels beginning to fall off. Let's wait a bit.

I'm still not convinced but the last 2 games have been encouraging. I really want him to succeed. Bournemouth game will have a big say on his future and the fans opinion of him. As long as he continues to pick the right team, make the right subs and generally try to win games of football, I'm happy. Up to the Everton game that really wasn't the case.

How do you know that isn't a residual effect from last season? As far as I'm concerned (hence voting in), he's always been pragmatic about a side whose goal scoring confidence was abysmally low, variations when things didn't work/etc. I remember all the stick after the Brighton result, Adam Blackmore asked him if he instructed the players to defend (after going 1 up) and he was categorical that he didn't...which suggests residual effects/low confidence/failure to communicate ideas to me. Which isn't to say he shouldn't have corrected these issues/etc, but I don't buy into the negative manager spiel.

How do you know that isn't a residual effect from last season? As far as I'm concerned (hence voting in), he's always been pragmatic about a side whose goal scoring confidence was abysmally low, variations when things didn't work/etc. I remember all the stick after the Brighton result, Adam Blackmore asked him if he instructed the players to defend (after going 1 up) and he was categorical that he didn't...which suggests residual effects/low confidence/failure to communicate ideas to me. Which isn't to say he shouldn't have corrected these issues/etc, but I don't buy into the negative manager spiel.

Residual effects from last season :lol:

Are you a believer in post-puel-stress-disorder too, like our quack Glasgow?

Romeu in interviews has spoken about the conservative/defensive tendencies of the manager which would partly contradict your claims.