The Friendly Derby

Noodles34

Massive game really, will be the game whereby we really will see what we really are.

Bournemouth are there for the taking if we actually take it yo them.

Like to see the same team as tonight with Austin up front and Boufal just behind him. The width can come from the FB's so Stevee D just in front of Lemina and Romeu

They're getting a bit restless down there. Seems like Howe has his favourites and is refusing to drop players who are badly out of form.

For us though, Pellegrino has a few selection dilemmas too, which is a plus.

Forster

Cedric Hoedt VVD Bertrand

Romeu Lemina Davis Hojbjerg JWP

Boufal Austin Tadic

Defence and Attack picks itself but that midfield is a tough one, two players have to be dropped but none of them deserve it really. JWP is the most likely I'd imagine, and possibly Hojbjerg too.

They're getting a bit restless down there. Seems like Howe has his favourites and is refusing to drop players who are badly out of form.

Forster

Boufal Austin Tadic

Defence and Attack picks itself but that midfield is a tough one, two players have to be dropped but none of them deserve it really. JWP is the most likely I'd imagine, and possibly Hojbjerg too.

A 453 formation... nice :)

Massive game really, will be the game whereby we really will see what we really are.

Bournemouth are there for the taking if we actually take it yo them.

Like to see the same team as tonight with Austin up front and Boufal just behind him. The width can come from the FB's so Stevee D just in front of Lemina and Romeu

You going to have a half and half ‘friendly derby’ rosette?

Assuming Cedric will be injured (big loss)

Forster

VVD

Hoedt

Yoshida

JWP

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Hodjberg

Boufal

Austin

Please not Yoshida at RB. He was an absolute disaster when Koeman played him there.

I've not seen enough of Pied to make a sound judgement but he surely has to be a better option.

Please not Yoshida at RB. He was an absolute disaster when Koeman played him there.

I've not seen enough of Pied to make a sound judgement but he surely has to be a better option.

I think LGTL has him in a back 3 with JWP as RWB. Either that or he's got Forster playing left back.

Forster

Cedric/Pied - VvD - Hoedt - Bertrand

Romeu - Lemina - Hojbjerg

Boufal - Tadic

Austin

Subs: McCarthy, Yoshida, Davis, JWP, Redmond, Long, Gabbiadini

this is the Christmas tree formation!

fitting for our first game in December! I vote this one!

I think LGTL has him in a back 3 with JWP as RWB. Either that or he's got Forster playing left back.

Yes, I see that now. Although I'm not convinced that's the right setup in a game that we should realistically expect to be winning. And I'm not convinced about JWP's suitability for the RWB role. He's not really quick enough to get up and down the line that much, and would leave Yoshida quite exposed as the RCB.

Yeah I'm not sure we will see Cedric after last night. Pied is a massive step down. Unless we shift McQueen or Bertrand to play at right back (not ideal granted) I guess it will be Pied. Anyone know if we have any decent RBs in the youth set up who could step up?

Yan Valery. Big step for the lad though, but s good player.

Cedric's injury was to his arm right? Maybe he'll do a Vardy and play with a wrist cast (and bang in goals in 11 consecutive games?). Otherwise it would be good to see Yann Valery, he's been touted as The Next Big Thing for a while now.

Assuming Cedric will be injured (big loss)

Forster

VVD

Hoedt

Yoshida

JWP

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Hodjberg

Boufal

Austin

JWP as WB isn’t a bad shout.

For me, that’s probably what I would go for, but I suspect we’ll go back to a back 4 and SD will come in (probably at the expense of PEH).

Cedric's injury was to his arm right? Maybe he'll do a Vardy and play with a wrist cast (and bang in goals in 11 consecutive games?). Otherwise it would be good to see Yann Valery, he's been touted as The Next Big Thing for a while now.

I'm a bit late to the party, but Valery has looked good in the games i've seen at u23 level. I imagine it'll be Pied though, but if he gets released / moved on next summer (not sure when contract is up), we probably wont sign a replacement and plan to use Valery.

I think we should go back to a 4231.

If Cedric isn't fit then we just need to make a call between Pied, a young right back or playing one of our decent left backs at right back. JWP might be OK as wing back but he's too slow really to be playing full back nowadays. Also, one decent performance against a useless team doesn't suddenly lift him above his usual underwhelming standard.

Yeah I'm not sure we will see Cedric after last night. Pied is a massive step down. Unless we shift McQueen or Bertrand to play at right back (not ideal granted) I guess it will be Pied. Anyone know if we have any decent RBs in the youth set up who could step up?

I thought that’d be what we’d have done last night Bertie to RWB and McQ on the left, but we switched to a back 4.

For me, this fixture will forever be associated with Oscar Gobern's kung fu tackle in 2011. Long may it live

Same. Tackles you see and think "20 years ago he'd have got a new contract for that. This was not one of those. He was lucky not to be arrested for that!!

Same. Tackles you see and think "20 years ago he'd have got a new contract for that. This was not one of those. He was lucky not to be arrested for that!!

I was showing this to a work colleague on YouTube the other day. We concluded that poor Oscar couldn't make up his mind to go for the ball with his left foot, his right foot or his head, and he ended up trying to play it with all three simultaneously.

I'd go for:

--------------Forster--------------

Cedric*---Yoshida---VVD---Bertrand

--------------Romeu---------------

------Højbjerg-------Lemina--------

----Boufal-----------------Tadić----

--------------Austin---------------

*or Pied if Cedric's not fit. He'll be a big loss if he can't play.

Bench:

McCarthy, Stephens, Hoedt, Davis, JWP, Redmond, Gabbi

Romeu seems at his best as an anchor man, Højbjerg and Lemina can shuttle forward and back. Those three should be able to dominate midfield with their strength and technical ability.

Tadić and Boufal can drift in from wide to link play or try to create overloads out wide so the fullbacks can swing in crosses. Try to get at least one of Højbjerg and Lemina into the box to support Austin.

If it's not working, maybe bring on JWP for one of the midfielders and switch to him on the right in a 4-2-3-1 with Tadić going central. Swap Austin for Gabbi after 60-70mins.

MP presser..

Cedric wont be available on sunday, shane long has a calf strain

we will review Shanes injury tomorrow

the city game was important as we competed well

we showed we can be really competitive against the best side in the league

we have to be better with the chances we get

every game is competitive just like sunday, it will be tough

Charlie has the possibility to be in the team.

it will be a different game to city and nearly all players are available and ready

I did not see what happened with pep and nathan at the time

I do not know for sure what happened, not seen the video

have not spoken to nathan about it

when you are in games, you have to manage your emotions

no matter what the result it, emotions are high.

I did not see any lack of respect. I left the touchline early so missed it

Bournemouth are a growing side and always looking to get better

it will be a tough game, never been to this ground and looking forward to it

everyone wants to win, we have worked on how we attack and defend against this side

MP presser..

Cedric wont be available on sunday, shane long has a calf strain

we will review Shanes injury tomorrow

the city game was important as we competed well

we showed we can be really competitive against the best side in the league

we have to be better with the chances we get

every game is competitive just like sunday, it will be tough

Charlie has the possibility to be in the team.

it will be a different game to city and nearly all players are available and ready

I did not see what happened with pep and nathan at the time

I do not know for sure what happened, not seen the video

have not spoken to nathan about it

when you are in games, you have to manage your emotions

no matter what the result it, emotions are high.

I did not see any lack of respect. I left the touchline early so missed it

Bournemouth are a growing side and always looking to get better

it will be a tough game, never been to this ground and looking forward to it

everyone wants to win, we have worked on how we attack and defend against this side

He didn't see what happened with Pep , hasn't watched it back and hasn't spoken to Redmond about it ? That's great management there !

seems a fair point

It's just pandering to their fanbase who are desperate for it to become a derby game. It isn't and will never be our derby, and i think most Bournemouth fans know that which annoys them further. Howe feels he has to talk it up because it's what they expect, i'd prefer it if our club made no reference to it to be honest.

It's just pandering to their fanbase who are desperate for it to become a derby game. It isn't and will never be our derby, and i think most Bournemouth fans know that which annoys them further. Howe feels he has to talk it up because it's what they expect, i'd prefer it if our club made no reference to it to be honest.

but it is a fairly local derby.

I want 2 up top

FF

Cedric VVD Yoshida Bertrand

Lemina Tadic Davis Boufal

Austin Gabbi

Even against Bournemouth that midfield would get torn apart. Too many creative players and not enough ball winners. Also, Cedric is confirmed out and Long is doubtful. I doubt MP will want to play 2 up top if there's no striker cover on the bench (except maybe Redmond if you can count him as one).

Think the only way we'd go 2 up top is in a 4-4-2 diamond with Romeu, Lemina, Davis/Hoj and Tadic/Boufal as the no. 10, or a 3-5-2 with Lemina and Romeu being two of the CMs.

I want 2 up top

FF

Cedric VVD Yoshida Bertrand

Lemina Tadic Davis Boufal

Austin Gabbi

1) I remain puzzled with some fans obsession with 2 upfront. Playing 4-2-3-1 can be very attacking, it was how we beat Everton last week.

2) Tadic and Davis in central midfield is a very strange combination

3) Using Lemina on the right is an odd choice

4) Hoedt & van Dijk is the best partnership, if it were to be Yoshida & van Dijk then van Dijk would be on the left

It is a derby, there is no point denying it. There are degrees of derby and rivalry, of course it isn't remotely at the level of a Saints vs Pompey game. But there is still more spice to a Saints vs Bournemouth game than there is when we play Swansea or Burnley etc etc. It is also more from the Bournemouth side than Southampton, but again that doesn't make it not a derby it just makes it a minor derby/rivalry.

Forster

Boufal Austin Tadic

See you have dropped Redmond perhaps it is because he had his head turned by Pep on Sunday.Or is it because he hasn't put a decent shift in for weeks?No prizes for the answer.