Guardiola's Comments

Dusic

Good statement from Redmond on this, confirming he was just doing what his Manager asked for.

Going back to the OP, which has been misinterpreted by some as being specifically about last nights game...do we think that maybe the reason Tadic and Redmond have struggled this season is because they have been given less license, similar to what Romeu said in the Echo.

Under Pochettino, and also Koeman, we often played in a similar way against the top sides as we did against others and backed our ability.

Fair enough doing what we did against City, absolutely the right decision. But against the likes of Stoke, Hudds, Brighton etc are the creative players being restricted?

Thought our performance under Puel last season was much better than last night’s performance - we showed more ambition on the ball that’s for sure. Certainly this season’s City team has clicked in ways that it didn’t last year, even if the personnel is pretty much the same (note Sané was a big miss).

That said, I do think we could have been a tad bit more adventurous, especially with Redmond’s positioning which basically made us a 5-4-1. Long also dropped deeper and deeper -and made the threat of a counterattack less and less credible as the game wore on. Pellegrino also had the likes of Lemina, Hoedt and Gabbi at his disposal that are an upgrade on last season’s squad.

I only point this out -as you note- because last night’s performance was not a flash in the pan or an outlier but more a point along a continuum, an extension of existing principles and its worth whether asking whether those underlying principles are appropriate for the likes of Stoke, Brighton and Huddersfield.

Edited by shurlock

Total bull**** from Redmond as they said on the radio. If it was all nicey nicey then why did he cover his mouth with his hands? You only do that if you don't want to get done for something you said. And I doubt you would get done for saying 'cheers I appreciate the compliments." Add to that nobody acts like Pep did when they are complimenting someone. Especially someone who just won a game in the last second. To believe what Redmond or Pep said you have to be ****ing stupid.

If he wants to get his paymasters to send us a £300m (conservative estimate) transfer kitty, plus a similar amount for wages each year over the next five years, maybe then we'll be in a position to go to the Etihad and play an open, attacking game against them.

Spot on. Wenger used to moan that away teams didn’t open up at the Emirates. Why the hell should they?

Redmond too scared to make a complaint !

Forget all this lip syncing stuff in the sun, Redmond responds to Guardiola covering his mouth.

Ranting and waving his arms in his face other than on the pitch would have seen a full on ruck.

Total bull**** from Redmond as they said on the radio. If it was all nicey nicey then why did he cover his mouth with his hands? You only do that if you don't want to get done for something you said. And I doubt you would get done for saying 'cheers I appreciate the compliments." Add to that nobody acts like Pep did when they are complimenting someone. Especially someone who just won a game in the last second. To believe what Redmond or Pep said you have to be ****ing stupid.

That's always done when the stadium is very loud. As at the time it obviously was.

I don't think you have to be ****ing stupid to believe that Pep being as high as a kite after the win would act that way. Also that Redman covered his mouth because he didn't want to get lip read saying something about his boring manager.

You lot can make a story out of **** all.

That's always done when the stadium is very loud. As at the time it obviously was.

So why don't they do that with the ref when they get a decision wrong and the crowd is going mental? If it is simply down to making sure they are being heard wouldn't that scenario be a perfect situation to do that?

I find both Redmonds and Peps comments bull shot and cringeworthy.
if you notice watching it back, that at first they slap hands in a respectful manner. Then Pep who was very emotional then let his feelings run. I also believe that Nathan should be let to run up alongside a central forward.it is a waste the way he is being asked to playg

the bellyaching I have read from many city fans at their disgust for Saints parking the bus is hilarious.

remember countless games before their Thai/Arab money where they parked the bus at Old Trafford and such places....or when they did go toe-to-toe, they got trounced

as for 'redz'..don't think he is a fan of Pellegrino

Edited by Batman

Redmond clearly dissed MP by covering his mouth, I suspect his words was not as nice i played how my manager asked me too.

I dislike Redmond for his attitude, he's been crap 70% of his career with us, he moans and doesn't have the work rate I would expect from someone having a bad game bar Wednesday night.

However I hope Redmond has gained some confidence and worked hard this week, we need him to be on form this Sunday, Austin and or Gabba need the midfielders to supply them, he has a crucial role to play, Boufal Tadic and Redmond will all probably start this weekend.

They cover their mouths all the time and are trained to. The subs often do it, and loads do it after the game when cameras follow them around and they are talking to the opposition.

Redmond did it on the bench during the Everton game when talking to someone, I think Austin.

They, rightly, don't want private conversations being lip read by everyone.

Nothing special about that. In fact you can see exactly why they do it regularly.

the bellyaching I have read from many city fans at their disgust for Saints parking the bus is hilarious.

remember countless games before their Thai/Arab money where they parked the bus at Old Trafford and such places....or when they did go toe-to-toe, they got trounced

as for 'redz'..don't think he is a fan of Pellegrino

City fans are among the worst - proverbial Micky Carrolls who if they hadn't won the lottery would be like the dopey, deluded Geordies albeit without the support.

Perhaps deep down they realise soul of the club is a shrivelled husk but best to double down and embrace it.

Edited by shurlock

Most of our regular starters are pretty unlikeable with the exception of Romeu, Davis and Yoshida.[/quote

most footballers are pretty unlikable.

Very true, though you try to remain indifferent to your own players yet I've ended up actively disliking a lot of them.

So Redmond's excuse for being so utter sh!te on Wednesday is that he was instructed to play that badly by his manager?

Utter, utter b*llocks.

What's utter b*llocks is that he was utter sh1t on Weds. He contributed to a good team performance & performed the role asked of him well. Had Wes & Yoshida finished their simple chances we'd have won. I'm betting you didn't call them shiete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's utter b*llocks is that he was utter sh1t on Weds. He contributed to a good team performance & performed the role asked of him well. Had Wes & Yoshida finished their simple chances we'd have won. I'm betting you didn't call them shiete.

You must have been watching a different game from me then. What I saw was a hesitant player who consistently gave away possession when trying to make simple forward passes and put our defence under pressure on numerous occasions with some awful backward passes. The only contribution I remember him making in an attacking sense was his involvement in the move that led to Lemina bursting into the box, but even that only came about because Redmond's attempted through-ball got a lucky ricochet off a defender. And don't get me started on how he criminally ducked out of the way of the FK that led to their first goal. He was supposed to be the one-man wall and he made no attempt to even jump, let alone get his head to the ball. That's unforgivable IMO.

None of these things have anything to do with how he was instructed to play.

But Redmond was a stand out fizzer on a night where every other Saint's player put in and contributed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42196427

He's been asked to give his version of events.

Even if Guardiola and Redmond are both telling the truth (and I have no reason to think otherwise), its just completely inappropriate for Pep to storm onto the pitch at the end of the game and act so animated at an opposition player. He just needs to be told to act with responsibility and awareness of his own actions - and remarkable that someone on such a huge unbeaten run managing the best team in the country needs to be reminded that. Turns out he can't even differentiate himself from many of his peers by not being a knobhead.

Thought our performance under Puel last season was much better than last night’s performance - we showed more ambition on the ball that’s for sure. Certainly this season’s City team has clicked in ways that it didn’t last year, even if the personnel is pretty much the same (note Sané was a big miss).

Different City side this year, they've got a keeper behind them they can trust to mop up everything which allows them to play much higher up the pitch. Last year, they had Claudio Bravo who has been a shambles for them, and it was also a period when John Stones was making a lot of mistakes. They're simply not as vulnerable defensively this season, which means they can play with more freedom going forwards.

To me it was total mind games from Pep - just saw a team come to their place and implement a system that largely denied them their usual rampant attacks. A better team than us (Man U, Chelsea, Spurs) could implement the blueprint we laid down and get something against them. Pep doesn’t want that so he rips into an opposition opponent in some massive publicity stunt to try and get teams to come out and attack them like Liverpool did so that they can run riot.

It’s a subtle way of digging us for our defensive approach - approaching one of our young players and criticising them for wasting their talent rather than criticising our approach directly.

It’s a seriously cheap shot and I’ve lost a lot of respect for Pep. Has made me quite angry to read the general media love in about how Pep so loves the game that he is on some sort of divine mission to improve players even when they play against him. I mean seriously, do me a favour. Pep is as bad as Fergie and Mourinho in the mind game stakes but seems exempt from criticism as he’s a trendy, likeable guy that wears bomber jackets etc. all the hipster journalists etc absolutely love it.

Not to mention that getting in an opposition players face when they’ve just conceded a last minute goal is totally unprofessional and ungracious.

Nice of Pep to provide free coaching advice to opposition players. He must be confident of the quality of his team and of winning the league to do that. I would have thought that City would be expecting him to concentrate on giving suitable feedback to his own players. They nearly failed to win against a relatively poor side! Surely it should be his own players that need a kick up the backside, rather than Saints.

To me it was total mind games from Pep - just saw a team come to their place and implement a system that largely denied them their usual rampant attacks. A better team than us (Man U, Chelsea, Spurs) could implement the blueprint we laid down and get something against them. Pep doesn’t want that so he rips into an opposition opponent in some massive publicity stunt to try and get teams to come out and attack them like Liverpool did so that they can run riot.

There might be something in this, though I'm not sure why he'd think ranting at Nathan Redmond would influence other managers. If anything I'd be more tempted to sit deep.

Redmond's performance wasn't dire yesterday because he was shackled and playing within himself, it was dire because he was slow to make decisions on the pitch and generally allowed himself to be crowded out before he'd decided to either run or pass.

I suspect that if Pep really did have an axe to grind about our negative approach, he just grabbed the only non-defensive player he knew anything about and directed his comments at him.

Redmond's performance wasn't dire yesterday because he was shackled and playing within himself, it was dire because he was slow to make decisions on the pitch and generally allowed himself to be crowded out before he'd decided to either run or pass.

I suspect that if Pep really did have an axe to grind about our negative approach, he just grabbed the only non-defensive player he knew anything about and directed his comments at him.

One things for sure he wouldn't have done that with Davis , Bertrand , Long , Yoshida etc players a bit older and more experienced!

It’s a subtle way of digging us for our defensive approach - approaching one of our young players and criticising them for wasting their talent rather than criticising our approach directly.

It’s a seriously cheap shot and I’ve lost a lot of respect for Pep. Has made me quite angry to read the general media love in about how Pep so loves the game that he is on some sort of divine mission to improve players even when they play against him. I mean seriously, do me a favour. Pep is as bad as Fergie and Mourinho in the mind game stakes but seems exempt from criticism as he’s a trendy, likeable guy that wears bomber jackets etc. all the hipster journalists etc absolutely love it.

Not to mention that getting in an opposition players face when they’ve just conceded a last minute goal is totally unprofessional and ungracious.

The media love in reaction is just as pathetic as your reaction. Take it at face value and calm down.

Pellegrino needs to use this to our advantage. Pep has given Redmond a massive kick up the backside, something which it appears he's not had by our coaching staff, and needs to respond. I expect him to start against Bournemouth, and hopefully, run them ragged.

Why would we not start with the frontline that scored 4 against Everton? Did Redmond really do enough on Wenesday to replace any of those against weaker opposition than city in a game that we should have a more equal share of possession?

He played for a tatical reason against City.

I will be disappointed if he starts in front of Tadic or Boufal, I'd expect to see Austin starting as well.

The media love in reaction is just as pathetic as your reaction. Take it at face value and calm down.

Oh I’m sorry, I thought this was a forum where you could express your thoughts and opinions. Thanks for your patronising counsel.