Saints fan banned

doddisalegend

It's a complete joke they even took him to court, let alone gave him a 3 year ban. Just another reminder for me why I'm gradually giving up going to games, the state of football / this country does my head in.

It's a complete joke they even took him to court, let alone gave him a 3 year ban. Just another reminder for me why I'm gradually giving up going to games, the state of football / this country does my head in.

You are thinking of stopping going to games because this guy got the book thrown at him for homophonic chants? Crikey. That is some sacrifice...

There's a World Cup coming up. That's the one and only reason why he was in court. Police will be looking to get their numbers up for their free jolly to Russia.

Not really, the whole hate crime thing has been an obsession for those on the left for a while and won't be stopping with the World Cup.

Pointless bans have been handed out consistently for the last few years, world cups don't make a difference.

What a drip you are Saint Charlie.
Its not about being a drip, its easy to have a good atmosphere without homophobic chants in my opinion. I was at the game and didn't join in with that chant as I disagree with it and as someone who lives in Brighton find it tired and cliched. If you did chant it then thats up to you.

There are various other instances of homophobic chants to Brighton fans where people have been punished, at Leicester especially - so there is a clear precedent.

The article also alludes to there being a number of chants, not just the one printed, so the content of others may have been less tasteful.

Hugo Schekter, who recently came out, specifically asked Saints fans ahead of this game not to sing those chants as they are homophobic and do cause offense.

We have gay supporters who might have had to stand next to this person, and would have likely taken offense at his homophobic chants.

It may not offend you, nor me, but clearly would cause offense to some on the grounds of their sexuality which is nothing to do with a football match, in my opinion.

There are good, witty chants at football without getting near to homophobia. If people choose to do what they are told not to, then you open yourself up to the consequences. This guy made a poor decision.

Don't see what is wrong with that?

Spot on imo.

Kids got to those games, they shouldn't be hearing hate speech. Seen similar excuses said about all the hate speech and songs between Rangers and Celtic, yet what happens on the stands often spills out into the streets and people think it's fine to start abusing and shouting at people (and worse) in the street.

Just go watch and sing for your team, I have never understood football 'fans' who just go to matches to shout abuse at other fans.

the way you say this would basically get rid of every chant going!

I personally think the punishment was over the top- a warning would have been at best but unfortunately this is the 21st century where people can give but can't take.

Its not about being a drip, its easy to have a good atmosphere without homophobic chants in my opinion. I was at the game and didn't join in with that chant as I disagree with it and as someone who lives in Brighton find it tired and cliched. If you did chant it then thats up to you.

There are various other instances of homophobic chants to Brighton fans where people have been punished, at Leicester especially - so there is a clear precedent.

The article also alludes to there being a number of chants, not just the one printed, so the content of others may have been less tasteful.

Hugo Schekter, who recently came out, specifically asked Saints fans ahead of this game not to sing those chants as they are homophobic and do cause offense.

We have gay supporters who might have had to stand next to this person, and would have likely taken offense at his homophobic chants.

It may not offend you, nor me, but clearly would cause offense to some on the grounds of their sexuality which is nothing to do with a football match, in my opinion.

There are good, witty chants at football without getting near to homophobia. If people choose to do what they are told not to, then you open yourself up to the consequences. This guy made a poor decision.

from the article

District Judge Tessa Szagun said she banned Coombs from football matches for three years to "prevent him from causing violent disorder at football matches".

The guy is a dweeb who goes to the football with his mum normally. One time he goes to a game without his mum, he has a bit to drink and does something stupid. As someone pointed out above in a case like this it would make more sense to treat it like a minor driving offence and send him to an education program to understand where he went wrong. A three year banning order is ridiculous, he isn't some hardcore football hooligan, he's just stupid.

You are a proper oddball.

from the article

District Judge Tessa Szagun said she banned Coombs from football matches for three years to "prevent him from causing violent disorder at football matches".

The guy is a dweeb who goes to the football with his mum normally. One time he goes to a game without his mum, he has a bit to drink and does something stupid. As someone pointed out above in a case like this it would make more sense to treat it like a minor driving offence and send him to an education program to understand where he went wrong. A three year banning order is ridiculous, he isn't some hardcore football hooligan, he's just stupid.

Also bet the stewards/OB singled out the gimpiest, dimmest-looking, least likely to defend themselves fan to make an example of. The idea that only one of our fans was singing this -after it being a crude, if innocuous staple for so many years- strains belief.

I'm for the ban. Homophobia is up there with racism in that it's not someone's choice, it's how they're born. The sooner it's back out of society the better (plenty of cultures in history have accepted it as commonplace). A hundred other ways you can have a dig at someone.

The people on here that don’t ‘get it’ are also part of the problem. People don’t realise this stuff is being said to belittle and mock Brighton. What does that say to gay people? It’s unacceptable and appalling that people think this behaviour is harmless.
It's a couple of songs that play on stereotypes about Brighton being full of gay people. The vast majority of people of all sexual persuasions would see it for the harmless unoriginal and boring songs that they are and either ignore them or chant back. In exactly the same way that Cardiff fans react to sheep ****gers or northerners react to songs about eating off the floor. All these songs are absolute cr*p but if anyone is actually offended by a generic chant like that then they need to take a long look at themselves and probably refrain from going out in public lest a sideways glance upset them.

The people on here that don’t ‘get it’ are also part of the problem. People don’t realise this stuff is being said to belittle and mock Brighton. What does that say to gay people? It’s unacceptable and appalling that people think this behaviour is harmless.

You are probably a little delicate for football mate.

Spot on imo.

These sort of things in football are stupid anyway, 'it's only a song', yeh the Nazis started by singing lots of songs it creates a culture where people start making excuses poor behaviour, it's about acceptable behaviour towards other human beings and creating a culture of acceptance.

Kids got to those games, they shouldn't be hearing hate speech. Seen similar excuses said about all the hate speech and songs between Rangers and Celtic, yet what happens on the stands often spills out into the streets and people think it's fine to start abusing and shouting at people (and worse) in the street.

Just go watch and sing for your team, I have never understood football 'fans' who just go to matches to shout abuse at other fans.

"does your boyfriend know you're here" does not in any way constitute hate speech. It's a crime for its lack of wit and originality and should be discouraged for that primarily but lumping that sort of innocuous chant in with actual hate speech and offensive chanting just undermines the times that action should be taken to punish real crimes.

It's a couple of songs that play on stereotypes about Brighton being full of gay people. The vast majority of people of all sexual persuasions would see it for the harmless unoriginal and boring songs that they are and either ignore them or chant back. In exactly the same way that Cardiff fans react to sheep ****gers or northerners react to songs about eating off the floor. All these songs are absolute cr*p but if anyone is actually offended by a generic chant like that then they need to take a long look at themselves and probably refrain from going out in public lest a sideways glance upset them.

What a disgraceful attitude. You obviously have never suffered prejudiced comments aimed your way. Casual predudice is the biggest problem. Nobody would accept racist chanting as harmless.

You are probably a little delicate for football mate.

That’s really depressing. The attitude that you can be ‘delicate’ for football. Hahaha what a joke. Are you living in the dark ages. It’s NOT ACCEPTABLE to imply that football is for ‘laddy’ types only. I’d laugh if it wasn’t actually so depressing.

What a disgraceful attitude. You obviously have never suffered prejudiced comments aimed your way. Casual predudice is the biggest problem. Nobody would accept racist chanting as harmless.
Not giving a sh*t about some generic and boring song isn't a disgraceful attitude, but suggesting that singing does your boyfriend know you're here is tantamount to hate speech absolutely is. I've often attended football with a mate of mine who's gay. I just asked him what he thought of those chants and his response was as I expected- he couldn't care less about rubbish like that unless it is some offensive slur aimed at him personally. The vast majority of people don't tend to overreact and call for three year banning orders for a generic chant aimed at a rival city though. I assume you were calling for similar bans when that ji sung park song was being sung by United fans a few years back?

That’s really depressing. The attitude that you can be ‘delicate’ for football. Hahaha what a joke. Are you living in the dark ages. It’s NOT ACCEPTABLE to imply that football is for ‘laddy’ types only. I’d laugh if it wasn’t actually so depressing.
I can confidently say that football should never be for types like you who work themselves up into an absolute state about some morons singing an unfunny chant about the population of a city. If you're genuinely as upset as you seem over something so minor then he's absolutely right- you appear much too sensitive to subject yourself to the torment of a live football match. In fact, if I were you I'd probably steer clear of the majority of social interactions to avoid any sort of offence.

I can confidently say that football should never be for types like you who work themselves up into an absolute state about some morons singing an unfunny chant about the population of a city. If you're genuinely as upset as you seem over something so minor then he's absolutely right- you appear much too sensitive to subject yourself to the torment of a live football match. In fact, if I were you I'd probably steer clear of the majority of social interactions to avoid any sort of offence.

Genuine question: would you feel the same if we went to, say, Bradford away and chanted about how many Muslims lived in the city?

Genuine question: would you feel the same if we went to, say, Bradford away and chanted about how many Muslims lived in the city?
I assume you mean something along similar lines such as "does your imam know you're here?" If so then yes. Offensive chanting about being a Muslim is clearly very different and should obviously be banned in the same way that homophobic chants should.

Tell us how you'd phrase the chant and then we can decide if it's offensive. Would you get upset if someone chanted "Does your misses know your here?" At a football match?

Edited by doddisalegend

It’s the reality. You want to call everyone Neanderthals but seem unaware it’s a tribal working class game at its heart, Lots of fans behave in a way that reflects what scum they may be in real life and so will behave accordingly. The chant in question is quite tame compared to vile stuff about Hillsborough, gas chambers, etc. You seemed to have joined lately. Do you cope with the swearing? Are the refs allowed to be abused? Did you campaign to get John Inman off the telly? Bloody stereotypes.

Look at all the 'lads' getting themselves in a lather because some people don't agree with them. It doesnt matter where it is on the bantz scale people were warned beforehand, they know other fans have been done for it yet they still sing it. And people on here saying fans that moan are snowflakes and the professionally outraged whilst bleating on and being outraged that this morons life being ruined.

Well I've spoken to a couple of gay friends since this happened and they both said "seriously?" and commented how ridiculous it was.

As already mentioned he was the only one among all the Saints fans singing that at one particular moment to get hooked out and done for it was he ?

Three years for that is totally over the top. People come on here and moan about no atmosphere at football. Might get worse as people will be frightened to open their mouths in case they say something that someone takes offence at.

Look at all the 'lads' getting themselves in a lather because some people don't agree with them. It doesnt matter where it is on the bantz scale people were warned beforehand, they know other fans have been done for it yet they still sing it. And people on here saying fans that moan are snowflakes and the professionally outraged whilst bleating on and being outraged that this morons life being ruined.

Ahh the hypocrites getting outraged about outrage. Thick people thinking they’re smart.

a load of precious nonsense, what about the hurt to people who are overweight with the 'who ate all the pies' 'you fat b'stard' etc or the big nose songs, etc etc.

I know quite a few gay couples and they are the biggest *****es and put downs of their fellow gay friends than any straight person would say. They are allowed to it seems,the same as Jews are allowed to use anti Jew humour and Black people are allowed to say the awful N word.

Get a life,it was a chant by someone who was in the mob mentality and whipped up by football passion,and not aimed at one person. People like you are sanitising our society and its getting tiresome.

'He touched my arm' =Sexual assault

'He sang a song about a perceived city that has a lot of gays living there = He may cause violent disorder at football matches".

Not giving a sh*t about some generic and boring song isn't a disgraceful attitude, but suggesting that singing does your boyfriend know you're here is tantamount to hate speech absolutely is.

The Echo and Argus articles indicated more than just that generic comment.

Presumably lots joined in with that so highly likely he was shouting worse, which significantly changes the situation.

The Echo and Argus articles indicated more than just that generic comment.

Presumably lots joined in with that so highly likely he was shouting worse, which significantly changes the situation.

If he sung something offensive then it may be that he deserved a three year ban but the example used in the article was "does your boyfriend know you're here." presumably if they knew he sung something worse then they would have printed that.

Most of the comment on here about how disgraceful and disgusting these comments are and how it amounts to hate speech and prejudice I imagine are talking about some imagined slur of which we have no knowledge. Of it later comes to light that he was singing something fill of hate filled rhetoric than clearly that changes things but from what we know now it's an absurd overreaction.

If he sung something offensive then it may be that he deserved a three year ban but the example used in the article was "does your boyfriend know you're here." presumably if they knew he sung something worse then they would have printed that.

Most of the comment on here about how disgraceful and disgusting these comments are and how it amounts to hate speech and prejudice I imagine are talking about some imagined slur of which we have no knowledge. Of it later comes to light that he was singing something fill of hate filled rhetoric than clearly that changes things but from what we know now it's an absurd overreaction.

The article says:

Former*Southampton*FC retail worker Jonathan Coombs, 28, shouted "does your boyfriend know you’re here" and other foul-mouthed abuse at Brighton and Hove Albion fans, as he watched his team play away at at the American Express Community Stadium.

Nobody thinks he would have got a three yesr ban for just singing "does your boyfriend know you're here."

It clearly went beyond that, hence first being identified out of the entire away end and then being given a banning order.

I actually don't see how it can be received as anything other than banter... there is no offensive phrase in it... (I am talking about, "does your boyfriend know you're here", not anything else that may have been chanted).

Its not like the hissing that goes on against Tottenham for example, something that is truly shocking.

Edited by Saint86

The football community are trying to get Homophobia out of football.

If you can't see the problem with this sort of behaviour, then you are part of the problem.

Not really. People just need to stop being snowflakes. Its getting pretty embarrassing these days. "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" is not homophobic. In fact the ones who make these issues and highlight divisions unnecessarily are the ones that help worsen discrimination. I wonder how many Brighton fans were actually upset by that particular chant?

When fan's come to sms and chant, "your support is ****ing ****" - that is more offensive. grow a pair.

Edited by Saint86

The article says:

Former*Southampton*FC retail worker Jonathan Coombs, 28, shouted "does your boyfriend know you’re here" and other foul-mouthed abuse at Brighton and Hove Albion fans, as he watched his team play away at at the American Express Community Stadium.

Nobody thinks he would have got a three yesr ban for just singing "does your boyfriend know you're here."

It clearly went beyond that, hence first being identified out of the entire away end and then being given a banning order.

It doesn't mean that abuse was homophobic in nature - it may just have been general swearing and foul language. Which people do everyweek at every ground at every fan, drawing no distinction between sexual orientation, race, religion or any other characteristic.

The authorities may have used his general abusive behaviour as context for his holding hands chant, concluding it made it worse; others would argue that this was further evidence of a moron who was mindlessly rattling through every footballing cliché in the book rather than being particularly homophobic towards Brighton fans.

Ultimately, I don't think the authorities engaged in such semantic niceties and as such much of the discussion on this thread is moot and masterbatory hobbyhorsing.

Rather the authorities took a very practical and procedural position. They made it clear after Brighton was promoted that they would be enforcing a zero tolerance policy, no matter how low-level the chant. Fans had prior notice, the defendant still took no notice and now is paying the price.

It's no more complicated than that.

Edited by shurlock

Not really. People just need to stop being snowflakes. Its getting pretty embarrassing these days. "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" is not homophobic. In fact the ones who make these issues and highlight divisions unnecessarily are the ones that help worsen discrimination. I wonder how many Brighton fans were actually upset by that particular chant?

When fan's come to sms and chant, "your support is ****ing ****" - that is more offensive. grow a pair.

I just leave this forum gold here.

I refer you back to my first post.

That chant might be more offensive to you, but it’s not about you.

I just leave this forum gold here.

good lord, do you actually think abusive chants are not more offensive? :lol:

The worst word is one in "boyfriend", but people will spend time on social media crying about that rather than chants that include frequent swearing. The mind boggles.

Edited by Saint86

good lord, you think abusive chants are not more offensive? :lol:

The worst word is one in "boyfriend", but people will spend time on social media crying about that rather than chants that include frequent swearing. The mind boggles.

How are you assessing these chants? You decided that because one chant uses a couple of swear-words. it must necessarily be more offensive. Good lad.

Holding hands is a low-level chant but the context in which it is sung isn’t - it still plays on the idea that gay people are different, this in a society where deeper homophobia still exists and sexual orientation goes to the heart of people’s identity and self-worth.

It doesn’t mean that all these chants amount to hate speech but there are sensitivities around them that will never exist in a million years about a team’s support. F**king s**t or not.

You should stick to lecturing people about the Chinese flag pal :lol:

#notthesharpesttoolinthebox

Edited by shurlock

If you don't understand the difference then heaven help us all. You can w*nk at home all you like, but in public you can't..

Because big brother, the thought police, and the snowflake melting world of twitter have taken over the asylum.