Bucket Rattlers 1 Saints 1

St Chalet

Meh, it's a point. Decent away performance although i still think we should be winning these games. Bertrand very good going forwards, but big shout out to Fraser, made good saves today again.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Would have taken a point at half-time after that disappointing first-half performance.

Thought we looked pretty good for much of the second half, and it's a relief to see Forster, Romeu, VVD, Bertrand and Tadic performing much better than they did earlier in the season.

Agree with Simon3737 (above) that Boufal and Bertrand seem to be forming a good understanding and effective partnership.

Should have won it, we gave them their goal and aside the Defoe shot that Forster saved (which was a scuffed shot anyway) they didn't create much, especially second half. Austin could have had a hat trick another day, Boufal should have scored just before the break as well, Bertrand somehow didn't pull it back when Austin was waiting for a tap in and we had a good 2-3 chances from set pieces as well.

Better. At times much, much better.

Though at times we reverted to sideways/backwards.

Encouraging signs. The left side with Boufal, who is growing into a player, and Bertrand, who seems to have found his enthusiasm again, looks very strong.

Why was Davis given a run up close to Charlie before Barry came on?

Still not convinced by MoPe.

Been saying all season that Redmond on the right wing, crossing with his stronger foot instead of cutting inside and going backwards, would pay dividends. Stick with it please and don't just put him out on the left wing again.

Progress is being made.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Yeah, Redmond should be on the right, and Tadic should be on the left. Not Boufal - he should be central.

Managers seemed to be indicating a desire to win with positive substitutions, but I think the players had decided to call it a draw on 75 mins. Disappointing in my view, I think we could and should won that. If Bertrand had rolled that one across to Charlie to knock in rather than whacking it too hard too fast too far in front, we would have been 2-1 up and I think that would have been the end of it. At 1-1 only Bournemouth seemed to want the win.

Meh, it's a point. Decent away performance although i still think we should be winning these games. Bertrand very good going forwards, but big shout out to Fraser, made good saves today again.

Should have saved the Fraser one that was a goal, but generally he played well today, as he did vs City.

Prettt fair result, maybe we should have nicked it. Bertrand man of the match for me, best performance this season . Forester did well, and well played Redmond. Special mention for Pied, solid despite hardly playing. Manager spot on again with tactics and substitutions. All in all, a 7/10 day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A game we needed to and should have won, IMO. On the balance of play they’ll probably be happier with a point than us.

Boufal didn’t have his best game but linked well with Bertrand and his ability to beat a man showed why he needs to be in the team.

I’ve been slightly critical of Austin as I don’t believe he is as fit as he should be, but him starting really shows the benefit of playing an out and out no9 and it helps he knows where the back of the net is.

Can’t really fault the players (other than Hoodt for the goal) or the manager on today’s display and it appears our style is changing.

From where I was sat it looked like Boufal, VvD and Austin missed ‘sitters’. was this the case?

Point is fine, not the end of the world as many on here seem to suggest.

Tricky away game in which we played well. We were more open and got caught on the break a bit but I’d rather that than what we were serving up at the start of the season.

Boufal and Bertrand looking like they could be a real threat, Hoedt (mistake aside) and Van dijk coming along nicely too.

Signs of improvement continuing so I hope we’ll now give Arsenal a go because they look fragile as ever.

Play sides like that at home and we’ll win more so not worried by what’s ahead

Lemina has to start and we need someone better than Romeu brought in January as he just doesnt do enough for me.

Granted he might not be in the form of his life, but I think it's more than a little harsh to say our player of the season from last year needs replacing.

I thought a draw was a fair result in the end. Both teams had good opportunities to score, we maybe shaded it. We looked liked the better team going forward but we looked a bit shaky at the back.

Stood in a field watching my nipper play while trying to listen to a poor radio five live signal. Only managed to catch the first half before giving up taters main comment was the poor quality of both sides but in general Bournemouth had the better off it good to see we had a better second half. BBC write up biging up Redmond I see.

It wasn't a foul throw though. If it had been Bos Ombersley would have got it. It never crossed the line hence why Bert got to have another go.

Apols if already asked and resolved but who is Bos Ombersley?

Edited by stknowle

Been saying all season that Redmond on the right wing, crossing with his stronger foot instead of cutting inside and going backwards, would pay dividends. Stick with it please and don't just put him out on the left wing again.

Progress is being made.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Yes!Everyone has been asking for that. It was so obvious that Redmond would be better on the right.

Amazing how managers often over-think and over-complicate things.

One thing that was present today was movement and it's something we are slowly starting to see.That was pleasing.

The 4-3-3 is a very balanced formation and could be very good for us. I would like to see again the PEH-Romeu-Lemina trio and then a lot of freedom for the 3 at the top to roam and find space. Earlier in the season they were stagnant, it was too easy to mark.

So much better when JWP came off. Forster made some good saves but why oh why does he even palm out the tame shots that he should be keeping hold of? We should have won really, Austin had that great chance on the 80th, and Bertrand should have squared it to him a bit earlier rather than shooting but a point away from home isn’t not to be sniffed at.

All this post match talk on NBC of whether Bournemouth should have had a penalty for the dive, yet no mention of the clear handball block from Tadic not long after....

Not to mention the two occasions at corners where Josh King man-handled Hoedt and dragged him to the ground.

Some referees -Mike Reilly for example - regularly sporscand gives those.

Fair result, Charlie should have buried his 2nd chance, he buried 2 of them last week ffs!

We might regret dropping 2 here with our upcoming fixture list. Probably though it's more about 2 mid table sides playing each other who are going to end up mid table.

VVD was exceptional.

Boufal, whilst wasteful is getting better and better every game he starts. He's probably my 1st pick on the team sheet.

Hoedt was excellent aside from the mistake.

Oriol was Oriol.

Edit: Forster was good.

Edited by Chris27687

Fair result, Charlie should have buried his 2nd chance, he buried 2 of them last week ffs!

We might regret dropping 2 here with our upcoming fixture list. Probably though it's more about 2 mid table sides playing each other who are going to end up mid table.

VVD was exceptional.

Boufal, whilst wasteful is getting better and better every game he starts. He's probably my 1st pick on the team sheet.

Oriol was Oriol.

Boufal will make mistakes and lose the ball but for me it is imperative he starts as he is truly creative

Satisfactory result ultimately. We were the better side but they had the better chances.

On the top of my head I counted 4 clear cut chances for us, free headers for VVD and Austin, Boufal's clear shot at goal (which he skied), and Bertrand's cross which should've given Austin a tap in. What are Bournemouth's 5 better chances that I missed?

Lemina has to start and we need someone better than Romeu brought in January as he just doesnt do enough for me.

I must've watched a different match. Today Romeu was superb, maybe only eclipsed by Bertrand. He was also excellent against City, and is finding his form from last season.

On the top of my head I counted 4 clear cut chances for us, free headers for Austin

Pony, it was fired across the box, he was brave and strong and another day it would have flown in. If you think that was a " free header" you're a ****ing plum.

I'm still in Holdenhurst road drinking with the enemy and the whole pub think a draw was a fair result. I tend to agree , although we were slightly better , we didn't do quite enough to win it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird now the Ref thinks he got it wrong and thinks it was a pen, was a clear dive, they replayed it on Sky and as Henry said if he'd just kept running he'd have got a penalty, instead he does a super man dive, very clear dive IMO and the Ref's instinct was right.

Weird now the Ref thinks he got it wrong and thinks it was a pen, was a clear dive, they replayed it on Sky and as Henry said if he'd just kept running he'd have got a penalty, instead he does a super man dive, very clear dive IMO and the Ref's instinct was right.

He exaggerated the fall but it was clearly a foul. Don't be so ridiculous.

Boufal will make mistakes and lose the ball but for me it is imperative he starts as he is truly creative

Agree. Most of his mistakes are just poor decision making. He’s improving with every game and when he learns when to do his tricks and when to keep it simple he will be a hell of a player.

We really should have won that, although having gone behind before the break, then a point away was just about acceptable. Did Pellegrino buy himself much more time following the win against Everton and the team's good performance against City? This seems like a bit of a reverse, as it is a match that would have been viewed on the fixture list at the start of the season as a probable three point banker. We have the better team on paper, but I can't help but feel that Howe is the better manager and would relish having our players at his disposal.

I watched the match and afterwards was interested to listen to the analysis on Radio Solent. It appears that Pellegrino won't play two up front because most other teams don't. As Merrington rightly responded, surely the best formation is the one that plays to the strengths of the players you have at your disposal. In our case, we have two fast wing backs in Bertrand and Cedric, and a solid three CBs in V-VD, Hoedt and Yoshida. We have as solid a midfield as any in Lemina, Romeu and Hojbjerg. We have a surfeit of nippy, fast intelligent play-makers in Boufal, Tadic and sometimes Redmond, and a mix of strikers who could work together as a pair if the best combination of them could be worked on to provide a conclusive choice depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents.

Pellegrino is credited by some as slowly getting to realise what the strengths of the team are, having belatedly recognised the eye for goal that Austin has, the flair that Boufal can bring and that Hojbjerg can be effective in midfield with a good range of passing too. Perhaps today he will have realised that Redmond is better coming in from the right. But despite the number of matches played so far, he doggedly refuses to experiment with two up front for any sustained part of a match. Long and Gabbiadini have both been firing blanks for a long time, but just how effective could each be if they were partnering each other, feeding off each other's movement in the box, holding up play until support arrived, pulling defenders around to create space? And how much better would either be, or how much more successful still would Austin be, if one or the other played alongside him?

In this match, plaudits to Bertrand, V-VD, Forster, Romeu in particular. Boufal was generally good, but frustrating when he overplays and then loses the ball trying to dribble past three defenders when he should have passed the ball immediately before being closed down. Redmond was decent when he came on for J W-P. Hoedt OK apart from farting about and gifting them the goal-scoring opportunity by fannying around instead of leathering the ball clear.

I fully expect to see the City match tactics against Arsenal and it would be typically Saints to make hard work of the likes of Boscombe and then hold our own against a glory team.

Pony, it was fired across the box, he was brave and strong and another day it would have flown in. If you think that was a " free header" you're a ****ing plum.

I'm still in Holdenhurst road drinking with the enemy and the whole pub think a draw was a fair result. I tend to agree , although we were slightly better , we didn't do quite enough to win it.

Whatever, it was a clear chance, which was my point. Not a criticism of Austin, he did well to get to it. VVD's was a free header, he should've buried it.

A draw was probably fair thought wouldn't of complained if we had nicked it as we played well in patches. The one major complaint is that our midfield too often look for a backward pass. Romeo had an opportunity to pass forward to Tadic in the build up to their goal but he chose to pass backwards inviting pressure on Hoedt. Wouldn't it be better to pass the ball forward and maybe lose possession on the edge of their box rather than pass the ball back and invite pressure? Eventually it goes back to Forster who generally smashes it out for a throw-in or aimlessly upfield giving up possession anyway. We were so much better in the 2nd half in that respect and looked like a decent team again.

A game we should have won easily but somehow yet again stumbled our way through to a squeaky and unconvincing draw against a very poor team that will surely feature in the relegation battle. All our lads with the obvious notable exception who was put out of his misery at HT, put in the work and on the whole played well but as usual we seem unable to create any other idea in the box than hopeful crosses to Charlie's head. This will not win many matches and one wonders how many lives this manager has already used up even if still no reaction from upstairs.

What happened to JWP today, he was unspeakably awful and never got into the match? He gets a load of stick and abuse on here and other social media so maybe all of that negativity has really got to him but on this showing he won't pulling on the shirt again anytime soon. Will Pellegrino even pick him again?

Hoedt made a giant sized cock-up but was otherwise pretty solid and composed; those on here calling for his head should remember the vulnerabilities of the alternatives. Nobody is perfect and all are allowed a few mistakes.

He exaggerated the fall but it was clearly a foul. Don't be so ridiculous.
This, it can be a foul and a dive. He exaggerated going over which I think went against him, but Boufal was nowhere near the ball, it was a pen.

Enjoyed that, and by the way parking in AFC Bournemouth car park for just one pound!!! Close enough to kick a ball to the stadium too!

Back to the football thought it was an excellent game with unusually high number of clear cut chances for both teams. I thought Forster, Bertrand, VVD and Romeo were all excellent. Well done Pied after an understandably shaky first ten minutes.

I was very critical of MP before the Everton game. Irrespective of the results, these last three games show some evidence of a coaching pattern and coherent tactics which I wasn’t seeing earlier in the season. Let’s hope we have turned a corner.

VVD was exceptional.

Oriol was Oriol.

You missed Ryan as MotM otherwise spot on.

Every good team has a player like Boufal to do the magic stuff & players like Oriol to do the ugly stuff.

Interesting way of looking at it, that. Boufal does track back but obviously isn't defensively minded, and gets a lot of criticism for it. But you never hear people criticise Romeu because he's solid defensively but "needs to be doing more when attacking".

Yeah, Redmond should be on the right, and Tadic should be on the left. Not Boufal - he should be central.

Managers seemed to be indicating a desire to win with positive substitutions, but I think the players had decided to call it a draw on 75 mins. Disappointing in my view, I think we could and should won that. If Bertrand had rolled that one across to Charlie to knock in rather than whacking it too hard too fast too far in front, we would have been 2-1 up and I think that would have been the end of it. At 1-1 only Bournemouth seemed to want the win.

So why did Mope bring Gabbiadini on for Davis?

As soon as it happened I thought it was a positive move ftom a manager who wanted to win the game.

And I hope the tv pundits saying Bournemouth should have had a penalty will replay the two occasions when King manhandled Hoedt at set pieces.

When will ref's start penalising that?

MP reaction to the game....

Game was tight, both teams tried to win

at the end of 1st half, they were probably the better side

2nd half we are far better

after we equalised, both sides went for the win, we tried to go forward more

it was a positive performance after a busy week

all 3 games were very different

Forster helped get us a point but pleased with all the squad

Pied did well for example

Really good from Charlie, 3 goals in a week

Charlie is now really confident

we have to use the performances this week as our base and moved forward to the next set of tough games

Bournemouth were “probably better” in the first half. Jesus, we made them look like Barcelona at certain points..!

This, it can be a foul and a dive. He exaggerated going over which I think went against him, but Boufal was nowhere near the ball, it was a pen.

Agree. Boufal got nowhere near.. clear penalty... but think he should have still have given the yellow card, as the lad had both his legs together going for his triple pike, so deserves all he got there..

Agree. Boufal got nowhere near.. clear penalty... but think he should have still have given the yellow card, as the lad had both his legs together going for his triple pike, so deserves all he got there..

Interesting one, ref could've booked the player for diving and still given a pen...!