Saints v Arsenal - Build up and Match

Batman

Tough one, gonna predict a 1-0 defeat- they can play a strong team given they have already qualified for Europa League knockout and their final fixture is at home.

Austin

Boufal Redmond

Lemina Romeu Hojbjerg

Bertrand Yoshida VVD Cedric

Forster

Bench: McCarthy, Hoedt, Pied, JWP, Davis, Tadic, Gabbiadini

Lemina has to play, Romeu should play, Austin and Boufal have to play and defence and GK is settled.

So it's basically two from PEH, Davis, JWP, Tadic and Redmond.

Redmond makes sense against Arsenal as we need to press them aggressively and get in their faces. I'd go with Redmond and Davis.

4231 with Romeu and Lemina holding, Davis in front, Redmond right and Boufal left.

Tadic had a very good game today through the middle, no way should he be dropped.

---------Forster

Cedric VVD Hoedt Bertrand

-----Romeu Lemina

Redmond Tadic Boufal

---------Austin

Lemina in my eyes is the replacement and upgrade for Davis as his career starts winding down. Both press forward with the ball and keep it well under pressure - Lemina is obviously just better at it.

Whilst I have been crying out for Tadic to be dropped all season, he tends to always play very well against Arsenal if I remember rightly, so would probably play him. Absolutely have to play Boufal too, a nice team who like to overplay is the sort of side he could thrive against, tore them apart at the Emirates in the cup last season.

Tadic had a very good game today through the middle, no way should he be dropped.

---------Forster

Cedric VVD Hoedt Bertrand

-----Romeu Lemina

Redmond Tadic Boufal

---------Austin

Lemina in my eyes is the replacement and upgrade for Davis as his career starts winding down. Both press forward with the ball and keep it well under pressure - Lemina is obviously just better at it.

To say Tadic was "very good" today is pushing it a bit I think..

To say Tadic was "very good" today is pushing it a bit I think..

It's really not, feel free to rewatch it - he received the ball in the middle of the park, held off his man and spun round him on a number of occasions, as well as playing in the fullbacks with excellent passes and getting an excellent ball into the box from the byline. I've been critical of him all season but he was very effective for us today.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Pellegrino reverts to a back three and employs the same conservative system and a similar line up as the City game, with the only change being Pied for Cedric if he’s still out injured. I think that he will start Long, if he has recovered from his knock.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Pellegrino reverts to a back three and employs the same conservative system and a similar line up as the City game, with the only change being Pied for Cedric if he’s still out injured. I think that he will start Long, if he has recovered from his knock.
Lemina has to start.

Interesting to see if MP does a City against Arsenal, even at home -or at least, employs a back three.

Would opt for Davis over Hoj to partner Romeu and Lemina.

Biggest questions are which two pick to from Redmond, Tadic and Boufal and who to start between Hoedt and Yoshida, assuming we play our normal formation (id go for Yoshida against Arsenal's movement and pace).

The rest of the side picks itself.

--------------Forster----------------

Cedric-----VVD------Hoot-----Bert

--------Romeu------Lemina--------

Redmond------Boufal---------Tadic

----------------Austin---------------

Can see the attractions of this but don’t think MP will chance it.

I'd go with with 3 CBs for this one....

---------------------- Forster -----------------------

------ Yoshida -------- VvD --------- Hoedt -------

Cedric ------------------------------------ Bertrand

--------------Romeu ------- Lemina ---------------

------- Tadic ---------------------- Boufal ---------

---------------------- Austin -----------------------

Subs: McCarthy, Hojbjerg, Davis, JWP, Redmond, Gabbiadini, Long

(yes, I know I've not put any defenders on the bench..... but with 5 defenders in the starting 11 it's difficult to sacrifice one of Hojbjerg, Davis or JWP to accommodate a 6th defender in the match day squad. If one of our defenders were to get injured we can always revert to a back 4 or JWP could fill in)

(yes, I know I've not put any defenders on the bench..... but with 5 defenders in the starting 11 it's difficult to sacrifice one of Hojbjerg, Davis or JWP to accommodate a 6th defender in the match day squad. If one of our defenders were to get injured we can always revert to a back 4 or JWP could fill in)

Like this too

I'd prefer that as well

Like that ,Trousers

Sunday midday kick off, will be a quiet atmosphere for this one I think.

Game almost sold out with 3300 coming from Arsenal, I saw a sign at Southampton central station last night saying it will be closed on Sunday with bus replacements from various places like Brockenhurst / Eastleigh / Southampton Airport parkway. Not sure they've thought that through as trains will be much busier than a normal Sunday morning, hope they have enough buses on.

Saw this earlier

Last 23 matches between Premier League’s current top five team and non-top five teams:

P – 23

W – 23

D – 0

L – 0

For – 59

Against – 12

The noses of the bigger teams can be bloodied, but they can rarely be broken. Newcastle and West Ham both took the lead against big-five opposition this weekend but their eventual defeats felt pretty much inevitable. Good luck West Ham, Southampton and Everton next week.

Sunday midday kick off, will be a quiet atmosphere for this one I think.

Game almost sold out with 3300 coming from Arsenal, I saw a sign at Southampton central station last night saying it will be closed on Sunday with bus replacements from various places like Brockenhurst / Eastleigh / Southampton Airport parkway. Not sure they've thought that through as trains will be much busier than a normal Sunday morning, hope they have enough buses on.

They have money to burn.... and waste! There will be 50 busses more than needed at each station, no organisation and everyone will arrive at the ground at 4 o’clock in the morning!

They have money to burn.... and waste! There will be 50 busses more than needed at each station, no organisation and everyone will arrive at the ground at 4 o’clock in the morning!

Rail replacement between Eastleigh and Southampton Central, plus for some unknown reason SWT have only been running 5 car trains on that line on a sunday recently. Going to be an utter nightmare for anyone coming from London.

Our money - passengers and taxpayers - not least with the appalling inflation-busting rise just announced. I'm not against privatisation but even Thatcher thought the railway should be left alone.

Onto the game. 1-1 I reckon, Austin again.

Arsenal will probably rest a few players for this one not that that will improve our chances. Pied will be put under enormous pressure from Ozil, that alone scares the life out of me. Nothing in this for the current version of Saints. I'm not expecting a spanking but probably something like 0-2 will be the best we can hope for.

Saw this earlier

Last 23 matches between Premier League’s current top five team and non-top five teams:

P – 23

W – 23

D – 0

L – 0

For – 59

Against – 12

The noses of the bigger teams can be bloodied, but they can rarely be broken. Newcastle and West Ham both took the lead against big-five opposition this weekend but their eventual defeats felt pretty much inevitable. Good luck West Ham, Southampton and Everton next week.

Don't tell Heisenberg

I like it too.

Halidays tea room on Bedford Place is awesome.

Yes it's very nice there, and if you can't get a table there's always the Giddy Bridge around the corner open early for a full English and a pint (in fact probably one of the few pubs in town open before midday on a Sunday )

PEH put in a man of the match performance vs Everton, played really well for the hour he was on vs City, and was then rested at Bournemouth... I feel like that was in preparation for this game.

If Cedric isn't fit then Sanchez and Özil will cause all sorts of problems down the right edge, particularly if Dusan "I never come back behind halfway" Tadic plays on the wing.

Forster

Pied VVD Hoedt Yoshida Bertrand

PEH Lemina Romeu

Long Redmond

Best way to play Arsenal is on the low block, they thrive when there is space to run into on the counter but struggle when teams set up deep and look to break against them... Particularly because Xhaka, Ramsey, Bellerin, Kolasinac all push high up the pitch leaving them very vulnerable to quick counters. With Mustafi out they will also be slow at the back (Monreal, Mertesacker and Koscielny) ... Opportunity calls if Southampton employ a defensively solid base.