Saints v Arsenal - Build up and Match

Batman

Usually when I see a team and wonder what on earth is going on I'm proved wrong - and I hope I am today' date=' but that team is just really very peculiar. Are we really still in a place where we need to play players out of position :?[/quote']

Yeah, I am hoping that Pellegrino has identified specific weaknesses (or strengths) of Arsenal and picked a team accordingly, though I’m not sure in what circumstances that would involve leaving out Lemina...

If it goes wrong today that line up certainly tees up criticism though. And he better play Redmond left and Tadic right, that would demonstrate he hasn’t learnt.

Can only assume Pell thinks we will lose today and that we are saving our best for Leicester on Wednesday. Still, we basically rested Lemina on Sunday as well and (IMO) that cost us. If we lose badly today with that line up then MP better pray for a result against Leicester as if we don’t get one this will have been a ridiculous move.

Redmond back on the left after looking so good on the right. Boufal back out of the team.

At least he's playing what I think is our best formation.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Honestly don’t think MP has a clue. Was hoping for him to come good after Everton and then a good performance against City but two poor sets of selection v Bournemouth and now today have made me doubt him seriously again. Large plate of humble pie waiting if we get a result but could see a 3/4-0 defeat now.

Redmond must have some dirt on Les Reed to keep being picked after playing so consistently poorly.

Greetings from St Mary's

Has to be said, that's a fairly perplexing line up. Either Pied is Cedric's understudy or he isn't. Why shuffle he defence more than you need to just because one player is injured?

And the absence of Lemina is a bit of a mystery. The only logical explanation is that he's still not 100% fit after his injury so we're eating him back into the squad....?

Oh well, it's 11 v 11 so you never know....

Edited by trousers

Where is the consistency in selection? Pied had a good game filling in for Cedric and is dropped. Ward-Prowse had an abysmal half against Bournmouth and is re-instated; Boufal has been an improving attacking spark, and is left out. Redmond and Tadic who have been so patchy continue to be picked. A class attacking player like Gabbiadini can't get a look in. It's just crazy.

Where is the consistency in selection? Pied had a good game filling in for Cedric and is dropped. Ward-Prowse had an abysmal half against Bournmouth and is re-instated; Boufal has been an improving attacking spark, and is left out. Redmond and Tadic who have been so patchy continue to be picked. A class attacking player like Gabbiadini can't get a look in. It's just crazy.

This. He has absolutely no clue. Angry about this. Really thought we had a chance today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno what is up with the line up, more worrying is seeing Tadic and Redmond ahead of Boufal. JWP has had chances to make an impact and simply isn't, other than his excellent set pieces he offers very little and when you have a player like Bertrand who can also hit nice set pieces his inclusion doesn't add much. Romeu and Holberg is a decent pairing, but only one of them needs to sit, i'd like to see Hol go further up and become more of a box-to-box midfielder.

Looks like our game plan is very much centre'd on scoring from set pieces and hitting Arsenal on the break, i think Pellegrino thinks Boufal is likely to make mistakes or slow us down, but Redmond is FAR worse for that.

The service to Gabbiadini has been ****e all season , let's stop pretending!

Corrected for you!

The guy does absolutely nothing for the rest of the team unless it's put on a plate for him.

I reckon ward prowse will be right wing back, not hojberg.

This. He has absolutely no clue. Angry about this. Really thought we had a chance today

Why not wait until after the game before getting angry? At least then your observation would be based on reality rather than a possible reality.... Unless you've got your "told you so" and "glad I was proven wrong" cards lined up to play later on....? ;) Edited by trousers

I had a feeling there was going to be some weird selection choices today after MP's club interview Friday. He said that players really had to want to play for Southampton. That's saying to me that theres been some unrest in the camp. And it's obviously BS cos he still picks VVD.

I had a feeling there was going to be some weird selection choices today after MP's club interview Friday. He said that players really had to want to play for Southampton. That's saying to me that theres been some unrest in the camp. And it's obviously BS cos he still picks VVD.
I think he's talking about Lemina. Was poor when he came on V Bournemouth.

Why not wait until after the game before getting angry? At least then your observation would be based on reality rather than a possible reality.... Unless you've got you're "told you so" and "glad I was proven wrong" cards lined up to play later on....? ;)

Meaow. I'm angry that we're starting at a disadvantage. Even the BT reporter said why 4 changes to a team playing well? I would indeed be glad to be proven wrong

Meaow. I'm angry that we're starting at a disadvantage. Even the BT reporter said why 4 changes to a team playing well? I would indeed be glad to be proven wrong

I'm as perplexed as the next man re: the starting line up, but I'll reserve judgement until I know the outcome. Call me old fashioned.... :)

The guy does absolutely nothing for the rest of the team unless it's put on a plate for him.

I reckon ward prowse will be right wing back, not hojberg.

his goal against newcastle was pretty far from put on a plate for him, the guy also has a hammer of a left foot .. if this formation is 3421 he could of also been used as the right sighded attacker allowing him to cut onto his left foot. probably wont be any worse then tadic ?

Peter Bosz has just been relieved from his duties at Borussia Dortmund. Now that’s a manager that I think could do very well here.

(Sorry to bang on about him being a good replacement, sound like Dalek and his obsession with Hoddle).

Let’s hope we can get a result today, however odd the line up looks.