Saints 1 Arsenal 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

great point really...we had the better chances but they very much dominated the game..

brilliant defensive display, I thought

can the morons please stop saying Austin is championship level...he clearly is not.

the whole team were good.....Romeu my MoM

PEH excellent.

Austin is a real goal-scorer.

Bertand is getting back to his best.

Stephens did well.

But:

Redmond? Why do we pick him?

Where was Long? That's the sort of game he's made for.

Lemina benched?

Decent result.

Things are improving. But some things still strange.

Hoj MOTM again. Amazing the way Puel treated him. Redmond a complete waste of space yet again. A better game from Tadic but should have come off earlier as he was giving the ball away endlessly towards the end which brought more pressure on to us. Good all round performances otherwise.

I've no idea why Lemina didn't get a run out towards the end to stretch the ponderous Arsenal defence.

Hojbjerg had a great game again. He's really starting to play well now. Bertrand, Forster and Austin all had good games too. Fraser is starting to build some confidence now. Hopefully he kicks on.

Definitely 2 points dropped there. Two games in a row now and it's cost us 3 points. Gutted.

That is truely gutting...hurts more than the man city late winner

Thought wed finally ended that long run of no wins against the top 6 in the league!

Performance better, thought VVD, Bertrand, Austin, Hoj and Romeu played well. Redmond horrible again!

Worryingly thats just one win in 7 now. Relegation form for sure.

When it was 1-0 and we had a number of chances to make it more, I was going to write in the match thread, but didn’t want to jinx it, “watch us draw 1-1, everyone will say “we played well” and “a point vs Arsenal is decent””.

A draw feels very disappointing, yet somehow inevitable. It makes Leicester another big game for us.

too defensive 2nd half. We ceded too much time and space whereas every time we attacked Arsenal looked dodgy.

Poor finishing the difference between 1 and 3 points.

But much improved displayes last 4 games.....just wish we did not go quite so defensive.

JWP was immense 2nd half and PEH, Romeu, Stephens, Bertrand all excellent.

Very annoying to concede late on yet again. Arsenal had been overall the better team, but up to that point the only real chance we allowed them was the one that Forster saved very well in the first half, so we were good value for the win in that respect. But a draw is probably a fair result.

PEH my MOTM. Excellent again today.

Redmond an utter waste of space again . Prowse slightly better .

We scored early and then just sat back and invited Arsenal to attack and typically threw it away.

Mopo really doesnt seem to know what he is doing . Austin was knackered after an hour yet Gabbi doesn't come on til the 85th minute .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

too defensive 2nd half. We ceded too much time and space whereas every time we attacked Arsenal looked dodgy.

Poor finishing the difference between 1 and 3 points.

But much improved displayes last 4 games.....just wish we did not go quite so defensive.

JWP was immense 2nd half and PEH, Romeu, Stephens, Bertrand all excellent.

JWP was average - not to mention he should have closed down the cross for the equaliser.

Arsenal were there for the taking. I blame the Manager for the team playing so deep and inviting Arsenal pressure. Why, oh why was Lemina not brought on to shore things up and rebalance the midfield? Tadic and Ward-Prowse were defensive liabilities in the second half and JWP afforded Sanchez much too much space and time to cross for the equaliser.

Very impressed with Hojbjerg, Romeu, Stevens in the second half, Bertrand and Yoshida. Another nice little cameo from Boufal.

The French commentators kept calling Redmond our most dangerous player, he was better than he has been, but still makes odd decisions.

We really should have been 2 or 3 up in the first 10 minutes, if Charlie would watch the line a bit more. Also , once Betrand got on the end of that Tadic throughball, I thought that was in.

Great team shape, very well organsied, just a shame that our wide defenders tuck in too much near the end of games. The same thing happened at Man City. That was one of the few times that Sanchez got a cross in the whole game.

Redmond good defensively but Christ he's annoying in attack. Lazily waits for the pass from Tadic (I think) on the edge of their box while under no pressure. Could have stepped into it and leathered it.

Bertrand's miss seemed poor as all he needed to do was round Cech and roll it in.

I thought we defended superbly, helped a bit by their ****ing about. Can't say they didn't earn their goal though. JWP probably too buggered to close down Sanchez at the end.

Another point.

My goodness talk about being the harbinger of doom. We played well overall. Certainly room for improvement and some players lack the finesse of Arsenal but they at least gave everything they had and work as a team. Frustrating yes, but certainly don’t need yet another change of manager as we’re starting to see progress.

Worst of all worlds. No win, frustration but enough to keep MP in a job a while longer.

Arsenal were there for the taking, classic winter Arsenal attitude. Yet we sat back for the last hour or more. Can't really say we deserve to win when we're defending like it's injury time from the 46th minute. Too negative. Tried it v man city and got punished in the end. Same here. Good teams will do that. Far more chance of winning if you keep going for them.

Oh well. Hojbjerg excellent, Romeu good, Stephens decent. Tadic same old rubbish. I find it hard to get excited as the team will change again next week, there won't be any cohesion or consistency. We won't go down, but it's not going to be fun to watch. Shame as despite what some say, we actually have a really good squad.

Personally thought Redmond was frustrating. Very diligent defensively. His pace caused them all sorts of problems but his final ball was either poor or he chose the wrong option. I personally was very surprised he was the one to come off instead of Tadic who was very sloppy twice before their goal after having a very bright start.

I thought the first substitution gave them the chance to get back into the game. We needed more pace, not less. Taking off fast Redmond for ponderous Boufal meant they weren't as worried about us on the break. It was a game made for Shane Long to come on.

I thought the first substitution gave them the chance to get back into the game. We needed more pace, not less. Taking off fast Redmond for ponderous Boufal meant they weren't as worried about us on the break. It was a game made for Shane Long to come on.

ponderous boufal?

I thought I chatted shyt

who would you have bought Long on for, today?

Too much Guinness.

The Mummy did what he had to do-no frills saves, but VVD's non challenge for Giroud's header, well, talk about lacksadaisical??

Everyone imo else put in a shift, 2nd half was decent performance against a top 6 team on the front foot.

Austin-championship? Behave yourselves ffs!

Wasn’t vvd fault

Long wasn't on the bench.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would have taken a point today if offered it before the game, but I thought we were too negative, too withdrawn and that game was there for the taking.

I find Redmond and Tadic very frustrating, would definitely have played Davis and Boufal ahead of them.

I think we're now as close to West Ham in the relegation box as we are to Leicester in 8th, given the players available to us, we shouldn't be lagging behind Burnley by 10 points.

You're taking the ******...aren't you. Boufal is the most direct, pacey runner with the ball we have - and played a neat cameo today.

Long was injured.

ponderous boufal?

I thought I chatted shyt

who would you have bought Long on for, today?

I think he is ponderous yeah. I don't dislike him. I just think he takes too long on the ball when he gets it, especially when running at players.

I'd have brought Long on for Austin towards the end of the game, but maybe for Tadic at the point Boufal came on.

I think he is ponderous yeah. I don't dislike him. I just think he takes too long on the ball when he gets it, especially when running at players.

I'd have brought Long on for Austin towards the end of the game, but maybe for Tadic at the point Boufal came on.

you do realise Long is injured*?

*awaits witty reply that you knew that

Would have taken a point today if offered it before the game, but I thought we were too negative, too withdrawn and that game was there for the taking.

I find Redmond and Tadic very frustrating, would definitely have played Davis and Boufal ahead of them.

I think we're now as close to West Ham in the relegation box as we are to Leicester in 8th, given the players available to us, we shouldn't be lagging behind Burnley by 10 points.

We have a negative manager who was intent on getting the 1-0 from half time. After that Tadic AND Redmond in the same side was a luxury we could not afford in order to get that.