Prowsey

washsaint

Hahahahaha

Unless he's got Panamanian ancestry, he won't be going to this or any World Cup.

Who's going to sign him? A premier league side? Come on...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Man City were keen a couple of years ago. Arsenal like him. Everton fans wanted him when Koeman went there, and Liverpool fans marked him as a followup signing after VVD. It's only really saints fans who don't rate him.

Man City were keen a couple of years ago. Arsenal like him. Everton fans wanted him when Koeman went there, and Liverpool fans marked him as a followup signing after VVD. It's only really saints fans who don't rate him.

:lol:

People still falling for that one-off clickbait city link in the Sunday People. Sad!

Edited by shurlock

That's how I saw his game too. Quite how anyone can describe his game as brilliant is breathtaking. One of the problems with playing him wide right is he doesn't run with the ball or drive at defenders - it's just neatish and tidy with good work rate which doesn't really impact the game.

His job against Arsenal appeared to be to back up Stephens at right back to negate the threat of Sanchez - which he and Stephens did very well indeed. If it was a sparkling attacking performance expected, wrong opposition for that. Actually it is becoming more and more evident that his Schneiderlin-lite water-carrier role from last season was the closest he's come to consistently reaching the standard expected of a first team regular (Leicester performance excluded, we'd have half the crowd in the team in that case). With that in mind it's a bit strange that Pellegrino tried to play him as a support striker in pre-season and again at one point after the season began.

He has a good touch and excellent delivery from wide. He's not a flair player and isn't going to get past many players with skill or pace.

He's not quite physical enough and lacks a bit of aggression, and isn't likely to carry the ball forward from midfield.

When Puel played him as a RM with liscence to drift centrally when the 10 went wide he looked good and even scored. He doesn't look like a real 10 though.

At times he's lookes OK as an 8, but doesn't really have the pace to recover from advanced areas quickly if the ball turns over.

His movement off the ball is quite clever to get himself into positions to receive the ball.

He has the ability to play clever passes forward, but rarely seems to early enough. I don't know if this is lack of confidence in himself or his team mates. Needs to work on the range of his first time passes a bit, and move the ball forward faster. He can do it, and did it regularly for England U21, but doesn't seem to in the Premier League.

I think he would be brilliant in Spain or Italy as a deep lying playmaker.

tl/dr he has some excellent attributes, but his best position is probably one we don't have the personnel to play him in.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought JWP was very good yesterday, always looking for the ball and keeping us moving. His pass for Long’s shot was something we’ve lacked all season, a midfielder spotting a run early and picking out the right pass rather than dithering.

He played well, but how are they rating ashley young a 9 while PEH is only a 6?!

Because everyone loves an old boy footballer who is still being a scallywag who, in the modern game, still sneaks in the little cheeky sly digs on opposition players, how can you not fail to love a little feint to make it look like you have had a shove in the back to mask an elbow in the guts of an oppo player, and having gotten away with that leaving one on Shane Long as you leave the scene of the crime!! All while wearing a Man U shirt is top sport.

Thought JWP had a good game, if he has the space to whip one in more of our players should be breaking their necks to get into the box and get on the end of it.

Prowsey has been outstanding recently growing in stature with every game. Proud of you James

Agree, but....and it is a big but. He doesn't get goals and the position he takes, he really has to. So do others in attacking MF positions, so he's not alone in that. A smaller problem is that he is so slow (but no slower than MLT).

As I said the other day, the lad is perfect in a tactical containing away game, where he sheilds and tracks. But in games where we need to be on the front foot and win, he's just not the right player to have in the side.

Let's assume your first sentence is true - that he helps in a tactical containing away game, played in that right wing/wing back role - how would he offer anymore than a player like Lemina, or PEH or even Davis in such a role? I see no tackles or interceptions - no runs withe ball; very few crosses unless he is teed up for the one trick pony right to left curler. Tonight he didn't influence the play wide right one jot; no runs with the ball, no crosses, no meaningful passes in advanced positions, little defensive support for Pied - yet PEH was taken off instead. I find his continued selection in that wide right role - home or away, completely exasperating.

Let's assume your first sentence is true - that he helps in a tactical containing away game, played in that right wing/wing back role - how would he offer anymore than a player like Lemina, or PEH or even Davis in such a role? I see no tackles or interceptions - no runs withe ball; very few crosses unless he is teed up for the one trick pony right to left curler. Tonight he didn't influence the play wide right one jot; no runs with the ball, no crosses, no meaningful passes in advanced positions, little defensive support for Pied - yet PEH was taken off instead. I find his continued selection in that wide right role - home or away, completely exasperating.

He's your typical teacher’s pet kind of player, a reliable, trustworthy member of the side who you know will stick to your instructions and not wander off gallivanting.

He shouldn't play in games we need to win though.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely think the RM slot is his best position and he should work on improving there. Strangely, his lack of pace seems to hinder him more in the middle than it does out wide, even though as a rule you don't need to be quick to play centrally but as a wide player it really helps! Centrally he just seems to struggle to get to that second ball, which is then compounded (or maybe this is the real issue) by his lack of strength to hold people off in the way that Romeu and Lemina do. I always think he plays like the piggy in the middle, always chasing down the ball but never quite getting to it, whereas out wide it helps him having less to do.

Never been a fan.

However, he is winning me over. I think there's a really good player in there that is starting to emerge. Hard working, good dead ball delivery, the odd goal or two.

Wonder if he could take a kind of Marsden role, supporting an attacking right back......or perhaps take on the Steven Davis role?

Yep.....I'm starting to appreciate him.

Never been a fan.

However, he is winning me over. I think there's a really good player in there that is starting to emerge. Hard working, good dead ball delivery, the odd goal or two.

Wonder if he could take a kind of Marsden role, supporting an attacking right back......or perhaps take on the Steven Davis role?

Yep.....I'm starting to appreciate him.

If he ends up as half the player Chris Marsden was, JWP will be nearly as good as Messi. :)

listening to Ian Wright on 5 on way home , he cant understand why JWP doesn't play every game

He’s right. And he’s ‘one of our own’, so can offer the marginal difference that will be so important in the run in. Old school passion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So long as you have 3 attacking players I think you can have him right midfield every game. Left wing Tadic, a no10 and a striker. Would work well.

I'd agree with this. I keep hoping Boufal will become the #10 we're crying out for but to little avail. Perhaps Gabbi could fill that role in behind and more physical striker.

JWP definitely seems to be forcing his way into the side though. Right side of the 3 seems his best position as we have better options defensively.

Prowsey wants out and I have a 100% reliable source.

Wants to make the world cup squad and Pellegrino is ****ing him off.

Might explain why hes upped his game in the last few weeks.

Typical. Only try when chasing the money.

Sorry, I dont rate him, but accept he has made an important contribution in the last few weeks. Difficult not to be the pearl amongst the sh*t...

Far too invisible in some games until recently. A latter-day Matt Oakley.

He's your typical teacher’s pet kind of player, a reliable, trustworthy member of the side who you know will stick to your instructions and not wander off gallivanting.

He shouldn't play in games we need to win though.

we need to win every game dont we ?.............!

Might explain why hes upped his game in the last few weeks.

Typical. Only try when chasing the money.

Sorry, I dont rate him, but accept he has made an important contribution in the last few weeks. Difficult not to be the pearl amongst the sh*t...

Far too invisible in some games until recently. A latter-day Matt Oakley.

Yes i see that Matt Oakley thing now neat and tidy not too much effort just look like your trying type player,added to the fact now you cant seem to tackle in the game just surround players without putting your foot in .And you know what that annoys the hell outta me just running besides the player whos just beaten you without any thought of tackling him.Yes JWP fall into that very neatly,but cant see the thought that someone else wants him strange that unless Leicester are intrested?

Prowsey wants out and I have a 100% reliable source.

Wants to make the world cup squad and Pellegrino is ****ing him off.

Whenever someone says 100% reliable source, can be fairly sure it's a wind-up.

I believe he's Saints through and through and could be that modern day rarity - a one-club player. He has passion for the club and his attitude will be vital fighting relegation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes i see that Matt Oakley thing now neat and tidy not too much effort just look like your trying type player,added to the fact now you cant seem to tackle in the game just surround players without putting your foot in .And you know what that annoys the hell outta me just running besides the player whos just beaten you without any thought of tackling him.Yes JWP fall into that very neatly,but cant see the thought that someone else wants him strange that unless Leicester are intrested?

Matt Oakley was a great player for us!

Some people can’t see what players like Oakley, JWP and Steven Davis contribute, but we miss them when they don’t play - linking together the ball winners, the wide players and the forwards.

I thought Lallana was the one to succeed Matt LeT as the one club local icon, and I was wrong. JWP is the next in line. OK he has not got the star quality those two had but he is hard working dedicated totally reliable and the club is in his DNA---just what we want in the sort of crisis we have got ourselves into. hope he stays a one club model, why 'supporters' spend their time attacking one of our own, I will never understand.

Just wish he was a bit better in the air. He could become quite an attacking threat then.

I don't recall Beckham being very good in the air either, and whilst I'm not suggesting JWP is quite that good yet, he is the same sort of player. Just keep playing him on the right side of midfield/attack, and let him take the free kicks and corners.