Prowsey

washsaint

No idea why so many on this site seem to loathe him. He was outstanding today .... the piece of skill in the 2nd half to lob the ball over the Arsenal player look up and play the perfect ball into Austin (whose control let him down) reminded me of MLT at his prime.

He got stuck in, always made himself available and defended admirably.

Very, very impressed with him today. He now needs to play that way consistently.

He now needs to play that way consistently.

thats the problem , I reckon it took him 20 minutes to get into the game, at first seemed he was over trying , to pass the perfect ball, he does fill in well though and get thru a lot of running , but with all the chances he's had should be the finished article, trouble nobody really knows his true vocation, he's Mr Average for me

No idea why so many on this site seem to loathe him. He was outstanding today .... the piece of skill in the 2nd half to lob the ball over the Arsenal player look up and play the perfect ball into Austin (whose control let him down) reminded me of MLT at his prime.

Very, very impressed with him today. He now needs to play that way consistently.

Does 'Prowsey' know you're here? ;)

Prowse was brilliant today.

May I ask what did he do that was brilliant?

I don't think it was his worst game but I definitely felt he was our weak link. He lost the ball quite a few times, got passed with ease in the second half. Picked up the ball before it went out giving them a free kick. One of the worst corners ever that almost lead to them scoring. Got done sleeping and was bailed out by Yoshi with last gasp tackle. And stood off Sanchez allowing him to cross for their goal.

I think his 6 rating is about right.

Prowse was brilliant today.

Well he wasn’t brilliant, he was quite good, much better than against Bournemouth but thereby lies the JWP conundrum. He will have a decent game or two then go back to square one. His first corner today btw was bloody horrendous.

We have better options than Prowsey I believe.

Cannot understand why JWP divides opinion so much.

He's a good player gives 100% and is one of the few members of the squad who worries opposition managers. His deadball delivery causes panic teams pay a lot of money for that.

He isn't world class and no one suggests he is. Occasionally he is lost in the game but undeserving of the criticism he receives.

He played ok at Bournmouth but the game was frantic and he couldn't get into the game. Howe did a good job with his tactics.

No biggy MP changed tactics and JWP at half time. Cue improvement in other games JWP comes on and gets things going.

Just enjoy a British talent and encourage him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think it was his worst game but I definitely felt he was our weak link. He lost the ball quite a few times, got passed with ease in the second half. Picked up the ball before it went out giving them a free kick. One of the worst corners ever that almost lead to them scoring. Got done sleeping and was bailed out by Yoshi with last gasp tackle. And stood off Sanchez allowing him to cross for their goal.

It was Stephens who tried to catch the ball.

He's a good player gives 100% and is one of the few members of the squad who worries opposition managers. His deadball delivery causes panic teams pay a lot of money for that.

He isn't world class and no one suggests he is. Occasionally he is lost in the game but undeserving of the criticism he receives.

He played ok at Bournmouth but the game was frantic and he couldn't get into the game. Howe did a good job with his tactics.

No biggy MP changed tactics and JWP at half time. Cue improvement in other games JWP comes on and gets things going.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Agree totally.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

That's how I saw his game too. Quite how anyone can describe his game as brilliant is breathtaking. One of the problems with playing him wide right is he doesn't run with the ball or drive at defenders - it's just neatish and tidy with good work rate which doesn't really impact the game.

He gives 100%. Unfortunately he is ponderously slow of foot -compared to his peers-and therefore is never going to be able to compete consistently in attack or defence at PL level. This means he has to mark space not players in defence and recieve the ball to feet in attack, this isn’t good enough to make him regularly influential, hence the good game/bad game scenario we have seen over the past 5 seasons. Very unfortunate for the lad because he has good ball skills as demonstrated in that chip over today. Unless surrounded by a pack of pacey teammates -we don’t have many- he shouldn’t get a starting role in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's certainly an interesting one. The man is a top bloke with a great sense of humour and his media skills are possibly the best the club has had for many a year. I think though the reason the vast majority don't like to see him on the pitch is just because he's such an atrocious footballer.

But at least he brings the fanbase together! That's precisely what we need right now, unity. You're probably looking at about 0.5% of our fans who go to games rate him as a player. We haven't had that kind of mass agreement on something as a fanbase for years! Long may that continue.

Edited by niceandfriendly

It's certainly an interesting one. The man is a top bloke with a great sense of humour and his media skills are possibly the best the club has had for many a year. I think though the reason the vast majority don't like to see him on the pitch is just because he's such an atrocious footballer.

But at least he brings the fanbase together! That's precisely what we need right now, unity. You're probably looking at about 0.5% of our fans who go to games rate him as a player. We haven't had that kind of mass agreement on something as a fanbase for years! Long may that continue.

:toppa: :toppa:

Beautiful cast sir, that'll reel them in nicely.

Chez;2560733]Has the first touch to play at this level, but the question is will he ever excel? One things for sure, SFC is going to give him the time to fulfil his potential. Which I don't think he has reached yet.

Wait for it. Here it comes. Yes, At last. Someone suggests that that pointless, rubbish, ponderous, thick, non-skilled football player will kick on. He has had a mere 200 appearances to show us what he is potentially capable of. Give the lad a chance please. He has got just 5 more years to show what he is made of, Dog help us having to see that shiiite football player in a Saints shirt for five more agonizing years. He has got just 5 more years to score his 5 more goals. What a player. I know lets start him and leave Lemina on the bench.

Chez;2560733]Has the first touch to play at this level, but the question is will he ever excel? One things for sure, SFC is going to give him the time to fulfil his potential. Which I don't think he has reached yet.

Wait for it. Here it comes. Yes, At last. Someone suggests that that pointless, rubbish, ponderous, thick, non-skilled football player will kick on. He has had a mere 200 appearances to show us what he is potentially capable of. Give the lad a chance please. He has got just 5 more years to show what he is made of, Dog help us having to see that shiiite football player in a Saints shirt for five more agonizing years. He has got just 5 more years to score his 5 more goals. What a player. I know lets start him and leave Lemina on the bench.

The headmaster would disagree with you.

Excellent performance today

Currently the man idiots love to hate

I'm going to bite on this as got the day off and its miserable outside here so nothing better to do.

Firstly I don't think anybody hates jwp or any of our footballers. That's a pretty stupid comment. We all want them to do well because that means the club will do well. But we are not doing well. We have won only 10 of our last 36 pl games. (2 in our last 11) That's the same amount as the bottom team in our league. In the whole of 2017 we have scored just 38 goals. There are issues with the team and its level of quality and to deny it would be 'idiotic'. That isn't down to jwp, you can't blame him for it at all.

However if we want to improve we have to look at where the areas are that we have problems. Defence wise we are doing ok. Attack wise not so good. So lets look at our attacking players. Austin = doing well. Gabbi = doing ok. Long = doing bad. Boufal = ok but needs to do more. Tadic = chipping in with assists and goals so ok. Redmond = not so good but has helped with some assists so not awful. So how is jwp doing in comparison to them? Badly.

Now its obvious from here some people think he is doing 'brilliant' which is of course their opinion. But lets look deeper into his stats (from opta).

He is averaging 1 key pass a game. He is averaging 14 successful short passes a game and 4 unsuccessful short passes a game. He is averaging 0.3 successful long balls per game and averaging 1 unsuccessful long ball per game. In duels he wins 0.5 per game and loses 1.4 per game. He has made a grand total of 4 tackles this season. He makes 0.3 interceptions per game. He has a grand total of 1 successful dribble this season. He has 0 through balls successfully made this season. He averages 18 passes in total per game (Romeu averages 66 per game) His overall rating this season is 6.37 which puts him second to bottom for our entire squad.

Now they are just stats and don't tell the whole picture. However from them it is clear he doesn't dribble past people, he makes mostly small short passes, he fails with most of his longer passing, he loses 1 on 1's far more than he wins them. He rarely makes a tackle, rarely intercepts the ball, he doesn't make any through balls, and of his key passes only 0.2 are longer passes. With the way we play where we only have one maybe two people forward at a time that stat shows he is not getting the ball towards our attackers.

So on here a few people have mentioned 'effort'. You cannot fault the guy one bit for his effort. He will always give you 100% and try as hard as he can. But in the hardest league in the world you need more than effort, you need ability. I am sure most of us would run our asses off if we were playing but it doesn't mean we would actually be any good. The other thing people mention is 'He is English, he is young, he has potential etc'. This has been used in his excuses for years. He has made 185 games for us with 150 of them being in the pl. To put that into some perspective that puts him 13th in terms of our all time player appearances in the PL. By the end of the season he would most likely be 8th. Just under players like MLT and Benali. Legends for this club.

To put that in further perspective thats more PL games then Kane (128). Delle Alli (85). Dier (117) Ox (140) Wilshere (149) Cazorla (130) Welbeck (145) etc etc. Can you honestly say he has done enough to justify that amount of games?

The fact of the matter is he is from our academy and that is the only reason he gets the game time he does. This however imo is actually a bad thing because it means others are not getting a chance. Reed for example has been bombed out to Norwich where he is playing very well. Other players like Hesketh, Mcqueen and Sims are not getting a chance. Others such as Stephens have been given a chance in our strongest area of defence and they have done very well. In the game against Arsenal we had jwp play at right wing back, why? Why does he need to play there? Why not have a natural player there such as Pied who did well in his previous game? And finally as for the 'potential' thing. If he was going to be as good as some hope he will be why have none of the big clubs come in for him? Not one single bid for him. Players such as Shaw, Chambers, Bale, Walcott, Ox, Lallana etc were all poached by the bigger clubs and most of them younger and with far less games than jwp.

I will continue to support ever player we have who plays for us but 'effort' is expected by every single one of them. They are not being paid vast amounts of money for their effort they are being paid for their 'ability'. If his name was James Miguel sanchez Prowseoski he wouldn't be getting the time he has.

For me, he could still turn into a very good player.

Right now, he's quite a good footballer with the stand out part of his game being his technique. However, some of the other areas of the game aren't often up to scratch and as such he doesn't impact games enough for me, and can be a bit of a passenger. I find him quite frustrating and I couldn't really tell you what his best position is, which is a bit of a worry for someone who has been playing first team football for so long.

that could still all develop though, he's played so many games for us that I think we forget how young he still is. So he has time on his side to improve further and start making real impacts in games - I'm sure we'll give him the time but I couldn't say with certainty that he will become the player we hoped when he first got into the side.

Against Arsenal I thought he was effective from a defensive point of view but didn't offer a huge amount going forward. Which, given the opposition, I'd say means he had a pretty good game.

Was good on Sunday. I think the right wingback roll suits him. He can run the channel, whip those balls in without having to worry too much what is happening inside of him. the question is, if we go 3 at the back on a more regular basis, would he keep Cedric out of the team? I pretty much doubt it.

I'm going to bite on this as got the day off and its miserable outside here so nothing better to do.

Firstly I don't think anybody hates jwp or any of our footballers. That's a pretty stupid comment. We all want them to do well because that means the club will do well. But we are not doing well. We have won only 10 of our last 36 pl games. (2 in our last 11) That's the same amount as the bottom team in our league. In the whole of 2017 we have scored just 38 goals. There are issues with the team and its level of quality and to deny it would be 'idiotic'. That isn't down to jwp, you can't blame him for it at all.

However if we want to improve we have to look at where the areas are that we have problems. Defence wise we are doing ok. Attack wise not so good. So lets look at our attacking players. Austin = doing well. Gabbi = doing ok. Long = doing bad. Boufal = ok but needs to do more. Tadic = chipping in with assists and goals so ok. Redmond = not so good but has helped with some assists so not awful. So how is jwp doing in comparison to them? Badly.

Now its obvious from here some people think he is doing 'brilliant' which is of course their opinion. But lets look deeper into his stats (from opta).

He is averaging 1 key pass a game. He is averaging 14 successful short passes a game and 4 unsuccessful short passes a game. He is averaging 0.3 successful long balls per game and averaging 1 unsuccessful long ball per game. In duels he wins 0.5 per game and loses 1.4 per game. He has made a grand total of 4 tackles this season. He makes 0.3 interceptions per game. He has a grand total of 1 successful dribble this season. He has 0 through balls successfully made this season. He averages 18 passes in total per game (Romeu averages 66 per game) His overall rating this season is 6.37 which puts him second to bottom for our entire squad.

Now they are just stats and don't tell the whole picture. However from them it is clear he doesn't dribble past people, he makes mostly small short passes, he fails with most of his longer passing, he loses 1 on 1's far more than he wins them. He rarely makes a tackle, rarely intercepts the ball, he doesn't make any through balls, and of his key passes only 0.2 are longer passes. With the way we play where we only have one maybe two people forward at a time that stat shows he is not getting the ball towards our attackers.

So on here a few people have mentioned 'effort'. You cannot fault the guy one bit for his effort. He will always give you 100% and try as hard as he can. But in the hardest league in the world you need more than effort, you need ability. I am sure most of us would run our asses off if we were playing but it doesn't mean we would actually be any good. The other thing people mention is 'He is English, he is young, he has potential etc'. This has been used in his excuses for years. He has made 185 games for us with 150 of them being in the pl. To put that into some perspective that puts him 13th in terms of our all time player appearances in the PL. By the end of the season he would most likely be 8th. Just under players like MLT and Benali. Legends for this club.

To put that in further perspective thats more PL games then Kane (128). Delle Alli (85). Dier (117) Ox (140) Wilshere (149) Cazorla (130) Welbeck (145) etc etc. Can you honestly say he has done enough to justify that amount of games?

The fact of the matter is he is from our academy and that is the only reason he gets the game time he does. This however imo is actually a bad thing because it means others are not getting a chance. Reed for example has been bombed out to Norwich where he is playing very well. Other players like Hesketh, Mcqueen and Sims are not getting a chance. Others such as Stephens have been given a chance in our strongest area of defence and they have done very well. In the game against Arsenal we had jwp play at right wing back, why? Why does he need to play there? Why not have a natural player there such as Pied who did well in his previous game? And finally as for the 'potential' thing. If he was going to be as good as some hope he will be why have none of the big clubs come in for him? Not one single bid for him. Players such as Shaw, Chambers, Bale, Walcott, Ox, Lallana etc were all poached by the bigger clubs and most of them younger and with far less games than jwp.

I will continue to support ever player we have who plays for us but 'effort' is expected by every single one of them. They are not being paid vast amounts of money for their effort they are being paid for their 'ability'. If his name was James Miguel sanchez Prowseoski he wouldn't be getting the time he has.

I'm not saying he's anywhere near the same level, not at all, but you could be describing Xavi with those statements. If he was Spanish , you're quite right he wouldn't be getting the time he has at Saints; he'd be far more appreciated and probably moved on.

JWP is a player who doesn't fit in a traditional 442 and so he doesn't fit either a box-to-box role nor a flying winger, so doesn't get the appreciation he should warrant. His RWB role fits him well actually, as his best games have been on the right; even in the san siro when he played in a diamond, he drifted to the right and had a stormer.

The problem is he's not an English type player, but he's a very good player; you don't get monitored by Manchester City if you're not. There are valid criticisms of him (goal record particularly from set pieces is one) but it should be remembered that he is still only 23. You don't rack up that amount of games, particularly as an 19 year old under Pochettino, unless you're pretty handy.

Edited by GGalpin

I'm not saying he's anywhere near the same level, not at all, but you could be describing Xavi with those statements.

I quite like JWP and rate him easily as high as Davis in what he's capable of bringing to the team. However, to say that the quoted characteristics could be applied to Xavi is crazy. Xavi was the heartbeat of that Barcelona team - he ran games from the midfield and probably touched the ball more than any other player in the league during his pomp. As the OP states, JWP is largely peripheral (as suggest by that average of just 18 passes compared to Romeu's 66) and almost never seems to step up and try to run the game with his passing (an interesting contrast with Hoj over the last few games, who has seemed determined to seize his chance by showing and demanding the ball much more than ever before).

I'm also in the "like him but could be better" camp. There was a period last season when he was starting consistently then got injured and we really missed him on the right of midfield. He's still got a lot to work on and could do with taking a few more risks but I feel that he's got a lot of the right tools that a coach can work with.

One thing I have noticed recently is that when we're attacking he's been getting himself into more advanced positions - he was behind Austin for one (maybe both, can't remember) of his Everton goals ready to pounce.

I quite like JWP and rate him easily as high as Davis in what he's capable of bringing to the team. However, to say that the quoted characteristics could be applied to Xavi is crazy. Xavi was the heartbeat of that Barcelona team - he ran games from the midfield and probably touched the ball more than any other player in the league during his pomp. As the OP states, JWP is largely peripheral (as suggest by that average of just 18 passes compared to Romeu's 66) and almost never seems to step up and try to run the game with his passing (an interesting contrast with Hoj over the last few games, who has seemed determined to seize his chance by showing and demanding the ball much more than ever before).

But you rate everyone as highly as Davis! :lol:

The prowsey slaters are up their with those who wanted mane sold asap after his arrival, there is probably a lot of overlap with the mopey out posters; they play a lot of FM and moan like they are pep himself.

Those people didn't want Mane sold, they were willing to give him away and drive him to who ever would have him

Dellman;2560971]Those people didn't want Mane sold, they were willing to give him away and drive him to who ever would have him

I am a Prowse slater and never wanted Mane sold. Don't let any facts get in the way of your opinions. Prowse is statistically as good at free kicks, as anyone one else in the squad, who has EVER scored once from a free kick.

Statistically as good/bad as anybody else. Just pure hype that cannot be substantiated. St Marco showed the stats that point to him being inferior in most departments.

well said that man.

Someone suggests that that pointless, rubbish, ponderous, thick, non-skilled football player will kick on.

Why go so over the top with your criticism, it just makes you look stupid, although as you've posted here before we've probably already made a judgement on you. He's a far better footballer than you are a reasoned poster.

Works hard, disciplined, and has some of the best delivery in the league (both dead ball and open play). Clearly has an important place in our squad.

Plus he is loyal and chose us over Poopey ;)

Some of the best dead ball deliveries in the league ? Seriously ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yes you Muppet seriously!
Comedy gold ! Considering the inflated value of home grown players I can only imagine how many massive offers we have turned down from other clubs [emoji23]

I think you are alone in your opinion . If not for our academy I doubt he would even get into our currently struggling team

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Prowsey wants out and I have a 100% reliable source.

Wants to make the world cup squad and Pellegrino is ****ing him off.

And there we all were thinking Pellegrino would need a couple more poor results for Les to get rid of him... p1ssing off JWP could be the last mistake he ever makes at St Mary's!

One player I really wouldn't be that bothered if he left. Squad player at best wouldn't blame him if he left for a team were he could be a regular like Notts Forest or Birmingham.

Hahahahaha

Unless he's got Panamanian ancestry, he won't be going to this or any World Cup.

Who's going to sign him? A premier league side? Come on...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk