Two players short of a good team

Pilchards

If we had a Mane type attacking player then I feel we would of stung Manchester City last week plus rolled Bournemouth and Arsenal over.

Although Redmond, Boufal and Long will run all day for you they don’t have that killer instance with all these gift edge chances we are having.

I think Walcott can fill one part of the puzzle plus an attacking midfielder to take over from Steven Davis.

Not sure who is out there that we could afford and fill that role perfectly, thoughts?

If we had a Mane type attacking player then I feel we would of stung Manchester City last week plus rolled Bournemouth and Arsenal over.

Although Redmond, Boufal and Long will run all day for you they don’t have that killer instance with all these gift edge chances we are having.

I think Walcott can fill one part of the puzzle plus an attacking midfielder to take over from Steven Davis.

Not sure who is out there that we could afford and fill that role perfectly, thoughts?

Completely agree.

Players seems to have gained confidence and showing their ability again. Even Forster has improved over the past few weeks

I think Boufal in place of Redmond today would have seen us win, in all honesty. Redmond got possession in space in good areas of the pitch on a number of occasions and then completely wasted it.

In fact if we're looking for a fast, skillful attacking player to fill Manes role - should we be looking to Josh Sims?

Edited by Saint_clark

ive Said it before and today strengthen my argument, if snap up Jack Whilshere. Imo he changed the game for them when he come on. Have them something they were lacking first half (and something we have all season) in the ability to split the defence and play a forward ball from deep.

Only concern is keeping him fit.

ive Said it before and today strengthen my argument, if snap up Jack Whilshere. Imo he changed the game for them when he come on. Have them something they were lacking first half (and something we have all season) in the ability to split the defence and play a forward ball from deep.

Only concern is keeping him fit.

Isn't that a bit like saying the only concern about the Titanic was keeping it afloat?

My confusion over transfer targets is that I can't really see anyone we could credibly sign who is obviously much better than we already have.

Yeah, I'd rather have Walcott than Redmond, but that's probably a £20m+ outlay for a relatively modest improvement.

Yeah, I'd much rather have Mane than Boufal, but that is obviously totally inconceivable.

My confusion over transfer targets is that I can't really see anyone we could credibly sign who is obviously much better than we already have.

Yeah, I'd rather have Walcott than Redmond, but that's probably a £20m+ outlay for a relatively modest improvement.

Yeah, I'd much rather have Mane than Boufal, but that is obviously totally inconceivable.

I'm sure there are... abroad, where we usually buy players from. Yet for some reason the names mentioned here are almost always domestic based.

Rule of thumb when thinking about potential signings, they will be under 26 and playing abroad. Usually backup players for the top teams, the best players from midtable teams in the better leagues or the top players in secondary leagues, in the latter case particularly if they perform well in the Champions League or Europa. Only in exceptional circumstances will we stray from that (like Austin & Redmond in the championship with 6 and 12 months left on their respective contracts).

Manchester United have a player who is no longer getting game time (initials M M)

I thought we were interested in buying him once.

Maybe a loan deal as we seem to have a great transfer connection with Utd.

wages will always be a huge issue when it comes to buying from United.

We should go for Quincy Promes if we don’t get Walcott.

Or is it? Liverpool fan in the office says scouse view of Mane has dipped now Salah is flavour of the month. They now see Salah as the main man and will sell either Coutinho or Mane in January. I said we would give them their money back on him, no more than that.

Or is it? Liverpool fan in the office says scouse view of Mane has dipped now Salah is flavour of the month. They now see Salah as the main man and will sell either Coutinho or Mane in January. I said we would give them their money back on him, no more than that.

We are not going to offer £30m for Mane. Even if we did, even if Liverpool accepted the offer and even if we paid him £150K pw (which we wouldn't), he still wouldn't come. This is la la land.

Don't think it's relevant while we're so cautious.

A manager to get the best out of Boufal would help more. Same with Lemina. For me the midfielder to take over from Davis IS Lemina. Let him play a little further forward, still be solid with Hojbjerg and Romeu behind him. Let Boufal and another wide attacker drift around. Striker can be Austin or Gabbiadini, don't think that's where we need the investment. Would like to ditch Tadic and get someone with more pace who'd be more direct. Austin with pace all around him is far more dangerous. Austin isolated and chasing down lost causes is utterly pointless.

Would love Walcott back but bet he goes elsewhere sadly.

Good call; notwithstanding Lemina's injury, he has looked different class since day 1 - and with PEH playing so well at DM with Romeu, the case for Lemina to be that third midfielder with licence to play more advanced is obvious, or should be, especially as Davis is slightly on the wane. As you say, Boufal is the perfect player to drift around Lemina and continue his very effective partnership with Bertrand. Even Tadic might be more effective with the drive and muscle of Lemina around him - especially if he can reproduce those two or three exquisite killer passes he delivered on Sunday (before fading out of the game).

Redmond is the problem. That and having a good keeper (although Forster played well yesterday and looks like form may be returning). We could also do with sticking with the same team occasionally...

I'm not entirely sure whats happened to Redmond, contrary to some opinions he was one of our best players last season and 7 goals wasn't a bad return for his position (aside from unhelpful Henry comparisons). But he looks lost so far this season, don't think he should be written off yet though.

Also I thought sections of the crowd booing him off while 1-0 up against Arsenal was one of the more pathetic things I've seen our questionable fan base do. I dont think he has had a much worse season than Tadic so far either, yet he seems to get 1000x more ****.

A number 10, right winger and goalkeeper I think would be the way forward. JWP and Tadic are capable of good performances but need more pressure on them. Forster has the rare average game, but has been generally poor for a season and a half now.