The Sports Pink

Tom & Gerry

Last Saturday was the last ever edition of the Sports Pink. It went out with a whimper and hardly anyone noticed. It is surprising that it lasted this long given the access to news these days via the likes of Sky, Radio Solent and the internet but back in the day it was the only information you could get on the day of the game other than the score.

My ritual like many others was to run down to the paper shop (Newsagent to you young uns) in Woolston at six pm where a crowd would be gathering (bigger if we had won). We would expectantly wait for the van to arrive (how did they get it out so quick) and the kids would all rush for the honour of carrying the batch of papers in to the shop where they would soon sell out.

I can still remember a report from 1960 that began "What a great and glorious day it has been for Southampton" after Third Division Saints won 5-1 in the cup at First Division Man City. It was such writing that helped make a 10 year old a Saints fan for life.

As well as getting Saints news, it also had write ups of the Tyro League results. Written by Derek Hawkins I think, you could always find various players & teams scoring a nap-hand, a brace or a baker's dozen.

I used to love looking at all the results, scorers & league tables on the back page. With SAINTS, POMPEY and CHERRIES bolded in their respective divisions - and for my entire childhood, in that order!

I hadn't realised this, and agree it's a shame. Used to get this every week as a youngster too, and then in my 20's to look at the local league results/tables that I played in.

Most the information contained in the Pink, can now be accessed online. Local/Hampshire leagues have had their own websites for over a decade. As you say, it is an achievement it lasted this long.

Memories of Dad driving to Fair Oak from Colden Common because he could get both the Pink and the Portsmouth equivalent there before reading them both over a pint at the Fishers Pond.

A shame they are gone, but inevitable with the rise of the interwebs.

Was always astonished that they could be printed and out so soon after full time.

Memories of Dad driving to Fair Oak from Colden Common because he could get both the Pink and the Portsmouth equivalent there before reading them both over a pint at the Fishers Pond.

A shame they are gone, but inevitable with the rise of the interwebs.

Was always astonished that they could be printed and out so soon after full time.

Also with the lack of 3pm kick offs. Hard to sell a football paper at 7pm on a Saturday night when there have only been 3 top flight matches earlier that day, and obviously less chance of the local team being in action too.

I can still remember a report from 1960 that began "What a great and glorious day it has been for Southampton" after Third Division Saints won 5-1 in the cup at First Division Man City. It was such writing that helped make a 10 year old a Saints fan for life.

Didn't Derek Reeves get 4 that day? He was a sort of latter day Charlie Austin that I think we got from Bournemouth Gasworks but I might be misremembering. A sad day to see the end of the Football Echo. I will probably never read about East Cowes Vics again.

Didn't Derek Reeves get 4 that day? He was a sort of latter day Charlie Austin that I think we got from Bournemouth Gasworks but I might be misremembering. A sad day to see the end of the Football Echo. I will probably never read about East Cowes Vics again.

Reeves 4 Paine1

Remember it as a kid walking to get it from newsagent on Botley Road in North Baddesley with my dad. Think there's a BP garage there now. Kept the 1st May 1976 edition(It's Ours! proclaimed the headline) for years and years, sadly went missing in a house move!

I used to walk round the corner to the newsie behind the bedes lea and wait for the delivery on Saturday evenings :D Like mr fahaj says, the lack of 3pm kickoffs has rendered the paper more or less redundant, although I still had a weekly delivery until the end. It's a great pity it's finished, I've still got loads of them from the promotion season, jpt edition, etc. Love reading through the old ones and seeing adverts for shops and traders that have long since disappeared.

I used to walk round the corner to the newsie behind the bedes lea and wait for the delivery on Saturday evenings :D Like mr fahaj says, the lack of 3pm kickoffs has rendered the paper more or less redundant, although I still had a weekly delivery until the end. It's a great pity it's finished, I've still got loads of them from the promotion season, jpt edition, etc. Love reading through the old ones and seeing adverts for shops and traders that have long since disappeared.

Can remember when the Bedes Lea wasn't there! The newsagent's was called Easton's IIRC. A dour Scot!

Very sad. Used to get it sent to me as I didn't live in Southampton. They call it progress.

My parents used to post them to me when I lived in Gibraltar in the early-mid eighties. I remember reading that I had scored a hat-trick (in a local league match) one week. Pretty good good going from Gib! ;) (A team I had played for, and did so again upon my return, kept registering me every year and used my name for 'trialists'/'guest' players. Not exactly legal but hey-ho. :) )

Adam Leitch made a great point on the Total Saints Podcast that it says a lot about our area that the last two in the country were here and in Pompey, despite northern cities each thinking themselves the Mecca of football.

I'm too young to have rushed to the shop every Saturday night but I read the occasional copy my grandad bought and felt it as part of the fabric. Sad to see it go, but what a run.

I used to run down to the newsagent on Hollybank Estate in Hythe to get mine on Saturday evenings (early 60s). And when I was at boarding school later in Shropshire my mother often wrapped it in brown paper and sent it to me in the post. As I recall it there was pretty much a full description of the game spread over the front and back pages.

Fond memories of the Football or Sports Echo in the late 1960's-early 80's. Never understood why it changed it changed its name.

When visiting relatives in the area it was always a chase to the newsagents for delivery of the Football Echo, and a chat with those waiting for arrival. I'd always wait around the area to buy one before returning home (living out of the area) on attending games.This was part of the day, and provided a good read including local leagues.

By the early 2000's a relative posted them to me, but it was soon clear that it lagged behind other news sources, even Ceefax.

Sad that both the Echo and Football Echo once provided an essential source of Saints news, but now inevitably can't keep up with other sources. No real surprise it's time has past, questionable how long the Daily Ech can last. In Gloucestershire the evening paper is no longer produced, but now sold as a weekly.

I used to run down to the newsagent on Hollybank Estate in Hythe to get mine on Saturday evenings (early 60s). And when I was at boarding school later in Shropshire my mother often wrapped it in brown paper and sent it to me in the post. As I recall it there was pretty much a full description of the game spread over the front and back pages.

It was certainly spread over front and rear pages, but my recollection was an introductory paragraph summarising the result (probably the last thing added to the report before going to press), and a fairly detailed report on the first half. The second half report was considerably condensed and probably finished with any detail at around 70 minutes to ensure it made it's print run. The 85th minute winner would either only feature briefly in the intro (without too much detail), or if in the second page text summarised with a passing comment such as "Saints then won it in the 85th minute from Channon".

Photos would only feature from early in the first half during home games, and none from the away fixtures until the mid 70's, and then only rarely (semis and finals). Seems incredible how photos are now returned from fixtures the other side of the globe if required.

It was certainly spread over front and rear pages, but my recollection was an introductory paragraph summarising the result (probably the last thing added to the report before going to press), and a fairly detailed report on the first half. The second half report was considerably condensed and probably finished with any detail at around 70 minutes to ensure it made it's print run. The 85th minute winner would either only feature briefly in the intro (without too much detail), or if in the second page text summarised with a passing comment such as "Saints then won it in the 85th minute from Channon".

Photos would only feature from early in the first half during home games, and none from the away fixtures until the mid 70's, and then only rarely (semis and finals). Seems incredible how photos are now returned from fixtures the other side of the globe if required.

Thanks for this. It was a long time ago!

Shame to hear it’s no more but a sign of the times really, I can’t remember the last time I saw one.

Used to enjoy the ritual of walking home to Bitterne Park after a game at The Dell, and get to Forbuoys at the triangle just in time for the Echo van to turn up!!

Think the last one I bought was the last game against Arsenal edition.

We're in Australia, have been for the past four years. My wife organises it to be sent to her now 87 year old father in Leicester, who is a Southampton lad, he loves getting it, so will be very upset (and confused) that it no longer arrives. Like many, when leaving the Dell (St Mary's), I always bought a copy prior to going home. Sad times.

Last Saturday was the last ever edition of the Sports Pink. It went out with a whimper and hardly anyone noticed. It is surprising that it lasted this long given the access to news these days via the likes of Sky, Radio Solent and the internet but back in the day it was the only information you could get on the day of the game other than the score.

My ritual like many others was to run down to the paper shop (Newsagent to you young uns) in Woolston at six pm where a crowd would be gathering (bigger if we had won). We would expectantly wait for the van to arrive (how did they get it out so quick) and the kids would all rush for the honour of carrying the batch of papers in to the shop where they would soon sell out.

We could well have been stood in the same crowd. As a kid that would be part of my Saturday evening ritual too, quick run down to Woolston (after Basil Brush I seem to recall ) and a slow walk back due to trying to study the league tables whilst walking and trying to finish my sweets before I got back home. And the feeling of utter shame having to return home one day to tell Dad they had sold out before I could get one ( the shopkeeper explained print run problems meant they received far fewer that evening, but it still felt like some kind of failure)

Like others I was always amazed it could be printed and distributed so quickly even allowing for the fact that it was only the outside cover that carried anything related to that days events. Still not quite as impressive as jumping off our coach whilst it was still queuing to get out of the Wembley complex to buy (probably) an Evening Standard with a report of our Cup Final win from a street vendor.

Not bought one in years now, sadly another victim of the digital age.

Remember the old man used to take me to the newsagent on a Saturday night as a kid and pick one up along with a few penny chews!:lol:

Used to love studying the tables as a kid, was always great to see us move a few more lines above the relegation zone compared to the previous week's paper after a win :smug:

You use to be able to get it in Basingstoke on a Saturday Evening, the chap who ran the Off Licence just down the road lived near the one of a mere handful of outlets who took in 10 or so, when he finished with it he always handed it over to me. Obviously sending a van or even putting them on the train up became un-viable and the furthest north from the City you could get one was Tesco Petrol Station at Winnall Winchester. Another part of History killed off by the digital age.

Just as an aside, as I have mentioned before many years ago I use to work for the Reading Evening Post in the circulation department, we all had a rota to work on a Saturday not that in my time the Saturday edition was live unless something huge broke in the news then it was all hands to the pumps. But on the back page a space was left at the bottom of the page for the 'Late Edition' which had the Footie results. Those of you of a certain age will remember the Gestetner machine at school, this was before the photocopier, and it would run off multiple copies of work sheets or letters to take home (fresh ones out of the machine always had a glorious smell - no doubt dangerous smell too) they had a similar machine to apply the Football results to already produced copies of the paper. Desktop computers were limited and all the information wizardry we have today didn't exist so to see how the Saints had done I would go down to the newsroom to see the full time results coming through, someone would take the covers off this funny looking typewriter and produce this funny little strip of plastic to stick in the printer. One of the chaps responsible for typing the results had a cunning plan (that worked) to get out of working for half an hour every other Saturday afternoon. Where Southampton was a bit long to fit the abbreviation to Soton we all know was applied, this chap applied the abbreviation to every team he could with his own twist. One afternoon, after the odd ones had failed to work, he threw in the lot Arsenal was the obvious one to lose the nal off, the one that got him though was Partick Thistle where the Thistle was binned and the A and T from PaRtICK. The letters we got!!

Apologies for the digression.

I stopped getting it when they stopped publishing on Saturday evenings. It wasn't the same having to wait until Sunday.

As a nipper, I used to go to the newsagents with my dad every Saturday night and, later did the same with my own son.

Always remember Bob Brunskell's reports which were very biased. We might have lost 0-4 but Bob would write "Unlucky Saints go down fighting".

It must have been quite an achievement putting it all together with all the local footy stuff and having out on the streets by 6.30 or so.

What a lovely description ....

The picture you paint is a carbon copy of many Saturday at 6pm at the paper shop.....

Great memories.....

I hadn’t realised ‘The Football Echo’ had finally ceased. Shame about progress sometimes...