Stuart Taylor

Saint Garrett

Signs a 1 year contract.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160826-stuart-taylor-southampton-announcement-3273822.aspx

Southampton Football Club is pleased to announce experienced goalkeeper Stuart Taylor has signed a one-year contract.

The former Arsenal and Manchester City stopper has agreed a one-year deal with the club, providing back-up to goalkeepers Fraser Forster and Alex McCarthy.

With Paulo Gazzaniga gaining valuable experience out on loan at Rayo Vallecano, and Kelvin Davis retiring this summer, Taylor’s arrival will provide added depth for the 2016/17 campaign.

Taylor, who was capped four times at England Under-21 level earlier in his career, is a two-time Premier League and FA Cup winner from his time with Arsenal and Manchester City.

Executive Director of Football Les Reed said: “We’re pleased to welcome Stuart to Southampton Football Club.

“Harry Lewis has now joined the first-team training group to continue his development, while Paulo is gaining valuable first-team game time out on loan in Spain.

“With Kelvin retiring earlier this summer, and with so many games this season, Stuart’s arrival will provide us with added depth.

“With Stuart joining and Kelvin continuing to contribute to the squad and young player development through his experience in his new role means our goalkeeping department is in extremely good shape.”

On joining the club, Taylor said: “It’s fantastic to be here. I was in contact with Dave Watson and he’s a fantastic goalkeeping coach. When I got a call from him asking to come down, I was over the moon.

“I know a couple of the lads who are already here, so it helps to settle in and I’m looking forward to getting on with it and enjoying it.”

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160826-stuart-taylor-southampton-announcement-3273822.aspx#eFeU7IptrpVwk4fI.99

You lot are so ****ing ungrateful. He's clearly going to be third choice. With Gazza out on loan, if anything happened to Fraser we would be left with ONE goalkeeper. What were the club supposed to do, recruit Joe Hart as third choice? What goalkeeper is going to be happy to come here and warm our U-23's bench? There's literally no please in some people.

Has he had the longest professional career with the fewest games played?!

Since 1997, he has amassed a total of 75 appearances...

Got a recollection that one of his few games for Arsenal was against us at The Dell, and we didn't score against him. If its the match I'm thinking of it was one of those games where that bast^rd Ian Wright scored a hat trick and we got hammered.

Has probably been frustrating for him being no. 2 at Arsenal and Man.City and Villa.....who had bigger names as regular keepers for long periods.

McCarthy will be second choice - if Forster catches the flu' ..but if Taylor is called upon to play and keeps a clean sheet, he'll have DAJFU and worth the investment.

Surprised, I'd just assumed Lewis would be called upon if the first two got injured. Oh well, welcome etc.

Seems unlikely, we need to have keepers for all of our teams, sometimes the u23s and 1st team have games close together. We are 4 keepers down on the end of last season (Stek, Kelv, Gazza and Britt) and people are surprised that we have signed two to replace them. I said 2 or 3 weeks ago that we would have to sign another keeper before the window closes, must admit thought we would sign someone younger, but its a necessity and suggests that Gazza is still thought of as a future keeper for Saints rather than how it might have seemed. Guess we'll see Taylor in the matchday squad a few times, but will probably not make an appearance unless FF or McCarthy pick up an injury..

You lot are so ****ing ungrateful. He's clearly going to be third choice. With Gazza out on loan, if anything happened to Fraser we would be left with ONE goalkeeper. What were the club supposed to do, recruit Joe Hart as third choice? What goalkeeper is going to be happy to come here and warm our U-23's bench? There's literally no please in some people.

The first question that comes to mind is why we let Steklenburg go in that case .....

How bad must Harry Lewis be then?

This. It is very unlikely both our first number 1 and 2 choice keepers would be injured at the same time but, just in case that happens , we have bought Stuart Taylor and his 78 games in 15 years or whatever it is experience, for fear of otherwise having to play Lewis.

Not sure I see the particular value in this over having a youngster cover as third choice.

Hopefully he'll never get an opportunity and it's a short-term stop gap whilst young keeper develops.

Lewis will be playing in the under 23s on Monday and therefore would not be used on Sunday (or maybe even Saturday).

Not bad at all. Says they want Lewis to play regularly with the under 23s all year. In fact, the desire to play Lewis regularly explains the Gazzaniga loan.

comment in interview with Stuart Taylor...when he said " I know a couple of the lads here ..." Who ? I thought . Has to be someone closer to his generation....

but looking at his history, I noted various loan periods at Villa and Reading on his CV......so maybe...... it was Steven Davis and Shane Long?

Edited by david in sweden

Don't think he's "bad" at all. He's just " young ". He was signed this time last year and played much of the season for the U18's.

Towards the end of last season he played a number of games for the U21's, which had been the regular task of Gazzaniga - who was already "over-age ".

With PG out on loan for the season, even moving up to the (now) U23's is a big ask for a 19 year old, so signing Taylor is a sensible move (in the event of ....?).

Many young keepers have potential, but few ever make the grade at such an early age.

Looking back 10 years, we experimented with both Bart and Gazzaniga (at various times) but neither really made it and were nowhere near proper Prem. level.

I've always maintained that most goalies don't make it until they are past 25, and over the years very few have done so.

The best goalies Saints have had (historicallly) have all been 30+. No-one expects Taylor to get a first team game, but he has the experience that Lewis clearly lacks.

Edited by david in sweden