Jack Stephens

Bad Wolf

Yesterday I spoke to a member of his immediate family. The long and the short of it was that he's going to ask to leave in the Summer if he isn't played more. Loves the club, loves the fans, loves the area etc but wants first team football and would rather drop down to the Championship and play every week than be 3rd/4th choice anything in the PL. It'd be permanent as well as he doesn't want another loan move.

He also, apparently, really doesn't mind where he plays despite rumours last year saying he he "hates" playing RB or CM as long as he plays.

I think it'd be a shame but can't blame him for feeling this way. At almost 24 it needs to be now or never. CBs obviously develop slower but I can't help but feel we've wasted this one in sending him out on loan all the time.

Thoughts?

At almost 24 it needs to be now or never.

Jack Stephens is roughly 1 month older than Wesley Hoedt, yet behind Hoedt in the pecking order.

CBs obviously develop slower but I can't help but feel we've wasted this one in sending him out on loan all the time.

His last loan was in League 1 from February to May 2016, he wasn't ready for the Premier League at that time and had many players above him in the pecking order.

The loans helped him get to his current level, better playing regularly in League 1 than the under 23s.

He wouldn't have played last season either if it wasn't for the parallel absence of VvD and Fonte. It was either him or Stuart Taylor at CB. He did OK.

As mentioned, with the imminent departure of VvD, he would get games next year as he's ahead of Gardos and Bednarek. Choice is his of course.

I don’t blame the bloke. Did really well last season but suddenly found himself 4th choice , there’s not much between him Wes & Yoshida imo. The difference between his performance at the start of his run and the end was marked, he was getting better and better. VvD poncing about all summer and then just put back in the team as if nothing ever happened must be a real kick in the teeth for him. Hopefully Sunday’s performance will have convinced MP to give him a few more games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt if he could go to a Championship team if as I heard from someone close to him that his wages were now nearly £50k a week. I took it with a pinch of salt, but this person should know

Did this person have a copy of The Sun with them?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3902616/southampton-reward-virgil-van-dijk-replacement-jack-stephens-with-a-huge-12-5m-deal/

At the end of the day 3/4th choice at us is about right for his ability at the moment and the best he can hope for if he wants PL football (which I suspect he knows, given the OP has suggested he'd be happy to take a step down).

If we were to sell, would any PL teams be in for him? I very much doubt it.

In the main, he done very well filling in for VvD last season, but I wouldn't lose to much sleep if he was to leave and I wouldn't blame him for wanting regular first team football.

If he wants to be starting, he should be doing extra training on heading the ball. Though apparently (as per the thread on Shearer/Dementia programme) teams don't practise that anymore. More the pity, as that's Stephens' biggest weakness. Positioning is a bit iffy, but that is something that experience will help with.

Other than that I think he's excellent, it's just a shame that a pairing of Yoshida & Stephens is susceptible to an aerial bombardment. I'd always be worried the opposition would only need a half decent ball into the box and it would be a goal.

From the guardian this week

Southampton’s Stephens emerges with real credit

It was an afternoon when Jack Stephens needed to show a maturity beyond his 23 years. Mauricio Pellegrino, the Southampton manager, asked him to play as a right-back when the team had possession but tuck in on the right of a central defensive three – with James Ward-Prowse outside him as the wing‑back – when Arsenal pushed forward. There was no margin for error against attackers as slippery as Alexandre Lacazette, Alexis Sánchez and Mesut Özil but Stephens read the game superbly and did not put a foot wrong. He was part of a collective effort that restricted Arsenal to precious few clearcut chances and after which Pellegrino felt empowered to say that “little by little, the team is growing”. The club remain resolutely opposed to cashing in on Virgil van Dijk. On this evidence, they have a defensive prospect that could give them a decision to make.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/dec/11/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekends-action

Don’t really know what the guy has to do to be appreciated by some on here. He was thrown in the deep end last season and did really well. He got thrown in during dec against a good attacking side with clever player, in a slightly unusual formation and he did exceptionally well. Had Hoedt made his debut Sunday and played like that the same people would be gushing and wetting their knickers over him. Sunday’s performance was as good as anything Hoedts produced in a Saints shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The infamous alleged incident between Stephens, Radhi Jaidi and Les Reed at the Grand Harbour last year means it's no surprise Jack wants to leave. If what Jack's family has said is true, then frankly Jaidi and Reed should be sacked immediately. No young lad, and in fact no human being, deserves that kind of humiliation and embarrassment. It was sickening to read the details and any father would feel the same. Again nothing has been proved yet but once it goes to court next year we will then find the truth.

The infamous alleged incident between Stephens, Radhi Jaidi and Les Reed at the Grand Harbour last year means it's no surprise Jack wants to leave. If what Jack's family has said is true, then frankly Jaidi and Reed should be sacked immediately. No young lad, and in fact no human being, deserves that kind of humiliation and embarrassment. It was sickening to read the details and any father would feel the same. Again nothing has been proved yet but once it goes to court next year we will then find the truth.

Want to give a bit of context to this ?

Why sign a new contract this summer then seems odd ? If what unsay is true

What allegedly happened?

3 on the hook already nicely done..

**** me and people fell for it.

Probably not true as why would you then sign a 5 year deal in July of this year?

• 1 month later...

Not a CB, so weak defensivly.

Would be perfect sitting just in front of our back 4 imo. He’s very good on the ball, but very weak at marking and anytime the ball comes into our box in the air.

Their first goal today highlights why we need a new CB, IMO. There’s still a place for him in the team, it’s just not at CB.

Would be perfect sitting just in front of our back 4 imo. He’s very good on the ball, but very weak at marking and anytime the ball comes into our box in the air.

Their first goal today highlights why we need a new CB, IMO. There’s still a place for him in the team, it’s just not at CB.

Probably best in a '3' at the back.

Where's he going to fit in the team? DM? Romeu, Lemina and Hojbjerg are ahead of him. We also have no idea how good he is on the ball in the middle of the park where players tend to have less time in possession and need eyes in the back of their head. Bringing the ball out of centre defense with little pressure is a piece of p i$$ by comparison and will make many players look polished.

Always felt Stephens was overrated but he has quite a few fanboys on here. Lord D has particular hard-on for the lad.

Just like Yoshida, he is an admirable back up (we wouldn’t be able to accommodate 3 decent centre halves with one always on the bench, so we have to accept someone of the calibrate of Yoshida or Stephens playing when injuries or suspensions dictate). BUT there is no way he should be a regular.

One of our shortcomings recently has bit been replacing Fonte. We have needed a centre half for a year now and that is somewhat depressing.

Hmmm... I thought he did well today. He scored a beauty of a goal, and set up the JWP free kick with a typically surging, rambunctious run.

His defensive presence in the air is something of a concern, but he was fouled for the 1at goal.

The referee missed a lot of calls today.

Hoedt made the run not Stephens from what I saw

Where's he going to fit in the team? DM? Romeu, Lemina and Hojbjerg are ahead of him. We also have no idea how good he is on the ball in the middle of the park where players tend to have less time in possession and need eyes in the back of their head. Bringing the ball out of centre defense with little pressure is a piece of p i$$ by comparison and will make many players look polished.

Always felt Stephens was overrated but he has quite a few fanboys on here. Lord D has particular hard-on for the lad.

He loves anyone a bit unorthodox. Not sure he's into 'chicks' to be honest.

Yep. Replace him with a VVD/Fonte type and move him forward. Love to see how he'd do once given some room.

Jack Stephens is an excellent footballer and I'd love to see him played farther forward, as he has great skill on the ball and an eye for goal. At the moment he is in a central defensive partnership with another youngster and they are both learning. They shouldn't really have been put in that situation. That's not his fault. Our experienced central defenders were all sold and you really need an older player leading the back line at this level, like Fonte did.

But, Stephens is learning fast and, like McQueen and Ward-Prowse, he is going to get even better next year.

It's easy to forget how little game time he has had for us really. Only been a regular (of sorts) for the past 12 months.

As others have said, hopefully he'll keep progressing and get better with experience. He has got plenty of time on his side, Fonte hit his best form for us after he turned 30. Yoshida is approaching 30 and is certainly a lot better than he was to begin with.

I still think he can make it was a CB. His weaknesses are things that come with experience - and if you look at the players he's lost at set pieces, they've got heaps of experience compared to him. Not poor at the back just a little naive perhaps. I'd give him next season as a starter as well to show how he can improve.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

The sheer arrogance to end a statement of opinion with “end of”.

Pro tip: I find that if I replace the phrase "end of" with "I'm a massive tw*t", I find any statements preceding it a lot more palatable.

Hope that helps...

I would really like to see Stephens and Hoedt mature and grow together as a pair, If one of them can cultivate a bit more aggression and both work on their upper body strength in a couple of years they COULD be a formidable partnership imo!