Jack Stephens

Bad Wolf

Of course Plymouth played a big part in his development, but he is still a Saints academy product. He played for both the Saints under 18s academy team and under 21s/23s.
bit like Walcott and Chamberlain being regarded as products of arsenal I guess

• 8 months later...

Great performance from Jack yesterday. Most of us thought we'ce concede goals at Bournemouth but the main reason we didn't was a big change in the centre of our defence. We often keep clean sheets when Stephens plays. It's noticeable how many of our best defensive performances he has featured in, including the 0-0 v Burnley, the 1-0 win at Brighton, and the 1-1 at Everton in the EFL Cup this season and the 0-0 draw at Man Utd and the 1-0 win at Swansea at the end of last season. He is developing into a very fine player. Hopefully, he will go on to become the replacement for Fonte and leader of our defence we've been looking for.

Hughes said in his post match interview on Solent that he had spent the international break working with the defenders who had not gone away and the reason that Hoedt and Stephens got the nod is they had responded well on the training ground to the coaching.

Lets hope its the start of a more solid defence.

Edited by doddisalegend

• 2 weeks later...
Stephens Season Stat.

3 clean sheets in the 4 games he has played in the league this season, 2 goals conceded in 360 minutes.

Those might be about to take a hit.......

Obviously he can't do it all on his own but he has been one of the few bright spots this season. We have kept clean sheets in 5 out of the last 7 games he's played in, including the final two last season: the 1-0 win at Swansea Swansea and the 0-1 defeat to Man City, when we were unlucky not to keep a clean sheet.

Obviously he can't do it all on his own but he has been one of the few bright spots this season. We have kept clean sheets in 5 out of the last 7 games he's played in, including the final two last season: the 1-0 win at Swansea Swansea and the 0-1 defeat to Man City, when we were unlucky not to keep a clean sheet.

Against City he got on the wrong side of the attacker. He may be learning this season but he had a problem connecting the ball with the attacker, often losing sight of one or both through ball watching or being caught on the wrong side of the attacker. He was caught several times last season by opponents attacking the ball and getting caught underneath both the ball and the opponent. He's not the only one, Yoshida and Vestergaard have been caught out. Zonal marking at set pieces doesn't help. Defenders have to attack the ball.

Edited by derry

Cough, cough, splutter! Are we really now taking Stephens seriously? How far have we fallen?

Two years ago some were declaring him a better prospect then the then much hyped Maguire at Hull (having watched them in the same match at St Mary's), and a more outlandish claim was that he brought the ball out of defence in a style not seen since Beckenbauer.

Perhaps after a brief lull he's rediscovered his potential !

In Jack Stephens and Christoph Klarer we have two central defenders far better than the ones Ross and Les have wasted the van Dijk and Fonte transfer fees on: Vestergaard, Gardos et al. The point is we still have a few talented players left at the club and I think that if they were played regularly in the first team, they would give us fans players to identify with. It's just unfortunate that a lot of the useless dross the club has wasted tens of millions of pounds on gets in the way of that.

Two years ago some were declaring him a better prospect then the then much hyped Maguire at Hull (having watched them in the same match at St Mary's), and a more outlandish claim was that he brought the ball out of defence in a style not seen since Beckenbauer.

Perhaps after a brief lull he's rediscovered his potential !

No, he looked alright playing under the ultra cautious Puel but is frequently found out when we try to attack or when he comes up against better opposition.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

He's not as bad as many make out, he's still fairly young for a CB, played over 60 times for us inc key clean sheets like away to Liverpool in a cup semi final and i remember watching him score the winning goal for England u21s at St Marys. Definitely should be looking at minimum £10M transfer fee.

He's not as bad as many make out, he's still fairly young for a CB, played over 60 times for us inc key clean sheets like away to Liverpool in a cup semi final and i remember watching him score the winning goal for England u21s at St Marys. Definitely should be looking at minimum £10M transfer fee.

Agreed. Under the watchful eye of Terry at Villa, and a dominant CB alongside him he actually could do well there. If Targett is an £11m + player, Stephens is worth at least that. If we could get decent cash for him it'd be a good move all round.

He runs away from the ball. I still have a nightmare vision of him at Wembley running away from Ibrahimovic and allowing him a free header.

Lol

He will save us points by not being on the pitch

Give him away for free. Absolute liability

He runs away from the ball. I still have a nightmare vision of him at Wembley running away from Ibrahimovic and allowing him a free header.

That was because he ran towards the ball, not away from it.

But, either way, he can't mark.

sorry, that is wrong on many levels

If they take Stephens as well as Targett I will personally go up there and shake the hand for whoever is responsible for the purchases and will also be lumping on them going straight back down whilst those two are starting together.

Thank you Aston Villa.

Wonder what our overall record is for those 60 games.

That was because he ran towards the ball, not away from it.

But, either way, he can't mark.

The ball was crossed from the right but Stephens ran away from his man and up the pitch towards the edge of the penalty area, but you're right he's useless at marking. Goes off chasing rabbits.