Pellegrino 1 Puel 4 - Post match Meltdown

Dark Munster

Very true. And he doesn't have the hindrance of Eric Black at Leicester.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

i keep reading on here that Eric Black is significantly to blame for much that is wrong at saints. Genuinely, why do we think this? im aware that other teams he has coached at have been poor but what evidence is there of this? Im not saying that he isnt a bad influence but not sure where this has come from.

There are definitely three teams worse than us in this division, maybe four.

The big issues for me are:

1. We have already played many of our 'easier games' (home games against bottom half teams)

2. We don't really look like winning away from home - our counter attack game is crap which means against the better teams we're playing for a 0-0 and against the 'lesser' teams we play like we do at home (which is going so well...).

3. I don't mind rotation but we don't have many players who can step in and play the same role, so with rotation comes a different dynamic and the players have no continuity and it stifles us.

We'll be ok but I think this season is a big reality check for many at the club - players and staff alike. I don't know enough about our owner to know how he will behave, but I imagine he is wondering what his £220m is actually doing for him right now. Even if I knew nothing about my investment, if it was my money I'd start to get involved. And that could be dangerous for the club - however they only have themselves to blame.

So who are the three or four teams that are worse than us? I've noticed that clubs who find themselves in trouble in the first half of the season but take practical steps to analyse and address the problem with realistic pruning and signings (such as Everton, Leicester, and a rejuvenated Crystal Palace) are the teams that are most likely to survive.

Meanwhile Les dithers while morale throughout our squad is on a downwards path. Not good.

i keep reading on here that Eric Black is significantly to blame for much that is wrong at saints. Genuinely, why do we think this? im aware that other teams he has coached at have been poor but what evidence is there of this? Im not saying that he isnt a bad influence but not sure where this has come from.

All football fans need a scapegoat. No one has a clue what Eric Black does but because he has been involved with failed teams before he is the prefect target. We heard on here how unpopular he was within the club yet when Puel left he was kept on. Why? Because he apparently is so popular with the players! I have no idea what he does but neither does anyone else. He is just an easy. lazy target.

All football fans need a scapegoat. No one has a clue what Eric Black does but because he has been involved with failed teams before he is the prefect target. We heard on here how unpopular he was within the club yet when Puel left he was kept on. Why? Because he apparently is so popular with the players! I have no idea what he does but neither does anyone else. He is just an easy. lazy target.

Good post

I actually have a touch of sympathy for M.P. as he does have the handicap of having to

work with Les R, Eric B. and don't forget Ralph K.

He knew what he was signing up to, no sympathy whatsoever. He's even supposedly great mates with a former manager! He had a better insight than most! And yes, I realise there was slightly different dynamics when Poch was here but it's essentially the same setup, although we now have big bad Eric Black and his mysterious curse where nobody knows what he does but for some reason still blames every goal we concede on him. Weird.

That was a torrid 90+ mins to sit through and endure last night - and it was pretty cold to boot. The plus point was that when I got back to the church car park it was already empty!

Not a lot of point in making any further comments on the performance or tactics. Everything was crap. However the only two points I could make are - the "what if" if Schmeichel hadn't stopped the effort when we were 3-1 down. We were looking as if we were thinking about trying having just scored, but that soon went out of the window.

the other point is, when you are 4-1 down, why bring on a defensive midfielder in JWP? He hardly got out of our half, except for his comical powder puff left footed effort from outside the box. Why not bring Long on - you couldn't do much worse

So who are the three or four teams that are worse than us? I've noticed that clubs who find themselves in trouble in the first half of the season but take practical steps to analyse and address the problem with realistic pruning and signings (such as Everton, Leicester, and a rejuvenated Crystal Palace) are the teams that are most likely to survive.

Meanwhile Les dithers while morale throughout our squad is on a downwards path. Not good.

Les is the king of ditherers. We need to buy three players in the next window.

We constantly fail to sign players because we want a cheap price and either we **** them off or another club is prepared to pay more. Uncle Les five year contracts seemed a good idea but the downside is they are now financially secure no matter how they play. Tadic Redmond need competition because they play no matter how bad they play. Charlie Austin can't play every game

Uncle Les needs to pull a few rabbits or we are in danger of relegation . Pellegrino needs replacing no matter how much it embarrasses Les. The club is run by silent men , not a word uttered after the debacle of last night. A couple of thrashings before Xmas and the roof will come off the stadium. Dither yea not Les or it might be you that goes

With each new manager, we've progressively got worse, we've sold the family silver and we're lucky that there's at least three teams worse than us at present, otherwise we'd be down. Carry on down this path and we will eventually, sooner rather than later. Another pathetic performance, Everton as bad as they've been are now four points ahead of us, let that sink in.

I don't know that he's poor, but our results have dipped since his arrival and I can't see anything recent on his CV that would have encouraged us to take him on, just failure. Was there a Puel connection? I found it strange that Pellegrino didn't bring in his own #2.

Edited by Shroppie

I don't know that he's poor, but our results have dipped since his arrival and I can't see anything recent on his CV that would have encouraged us to take him on, just failure. Was there a Puel connection? I found it strange that Pellegrino didn't bring in his own #2.

Didn't his arrival coincide with Mane, Pelle and Vic leaving and being replaced with Redmond, Hoj and Boufal probably a more likely explanation of why our results dipped..

With each new manager, we've progressively got worse, we've sold the family silver and we're lucky that there's at least three teams worse than us at present, otherwise we'd be down. Carry on down this path and we will eventually, sooner rather than later. Another pathetic performance, Everton as bad as they've been are now four points ahead of us, let that sink in.

How many managers are you going back as we moved forward with each one until 18 months ago?

We may well go down...haven't you realised baring the top 7 it happens to everyone...

3 years ago we were the team in fourth (where Burnley are now) and everyone wanted our model...guess what others copy it, do it better and pass you....unless you progress you go backwards...

Oh and Everton took four points from the two games prior to playing us...they have some good players, let that sink in.....

We were done by a better team simple as that. Leicester are a better team than us and are finding their form this season. We would have struggled had we played well IMO, but playing like we did last night we would have got beat by anyone. Our best result was v Everton, who at the time were the worst team in the PL. The Radio Mersey phone in after that game was as despairing and at times vitriolic as the sentiments on this forum, one fan sounded suicidal... and none of them wanted big Sam thats for sure....

So we need to get behind the team (a big ask when you.re 3-0 down at HT at home admittedly, but at least we improved second half...) and hope MP learns from his mistakes. If he dosen't soon he must go, I think nearly half a season should be enough time to evaluate what you have in the squad. A spirited rearguard against the likes of Man City and to some extent Arsenal is one thing, but we're getting done at home by the likes of Burnley , Watford and Wolves reserves which is totally unacceptable (and with all respect embarassing).

COYS !

just can't come to terms with Eric Blacks continued employment.Villa is an example of failure (look at his record P7 D1 L6) I don't know what he does but how he stayed after Puel went is anyone's guess.He should know more about the PL than MP but I don't see any evidence of it.Les Reed ought to come clean on why Black remains at the Club.

We had played better the previous games due to PEH winning the ball and going forward - build the team around him and Lemina now, with 352 Stephens back in as well.

Not seen Davis play so bad for months, and Boufal ran into walls all night. That late JWP effort summed up the night for me. WE need a CENTRE FORWARD ASAP!!!!! Someone to hold the ball up and play either Gabbi or CA alongside him

I wasnt being horrible. I was referring to the the death of the hope and happiness he gave us. Try not to be such a ninny.

I owe you an apology, I'd had a few and missed your point. I see it now and agree. Booze and Saints can be a bad combo.

.. hope MP learns from his mistakes. If he dosen't soon he must go,...

COYS !

I can't see MP learning by his mistakes. He is a serial mistake maker. It may soon be too late to replace him. He must be gone before the January window, to give time for the new manager, whoever he is, to purchase replacements to the team that we have been highlighting for some time. And Black has to go at the same time too.

I can't see MP learning by his mistakes. He is a serial mistake maker. It may soon be too late to replace him. He must be gone before the January window, to give time for the new manager, whoever he is, to purchase replacements to the team that we have been highlighting for some time. And Black has to go at the same time too.

Eric Black left the club 3 games ago.

And Man City are lucky there are 19 teams worse than them.

His selection of Charlie Austin has bought him a bit of time - despite the fact that he had to have his arm twisted so hard it almost snapped - but he's on thin ice.

Clueless chopping and changing of players must be peeing them off, it certainly is for me - also continuously playing players out of position is just looking plain dumb. Oh and he doesn't appear to have one iota of positivity in his head, religiously sticking to 1 up front despite a chronic lack of goals.

If he was half decent he'd know his best team by now. The squad is a lot lot better than he is capable of delivering.

Think we'll scrape through this season - as long as CA stays fit - but the thought of him around for next season will be a bit much for many ST holders. It's supposed to be entertainment right?

Pellegrino and Reed had an almighty shouting match in a private room after the game..

Well if that’s true then what a mess we’re in.

The guy who appointed the failing manager having a pop at him because of his own ineptitude. Awesome stuff

Can’t think of anyone that came out what any credit, Davis had probably his worst ever game for us, Yoshida was back to his old self, the midfield non existent.

The subs were weird too.

Only just watched MOTD highlights tonight. Putting aside the fact we looked like we got generally raped, things that stood out were Tadic's pathetic "tracking" of Mahrez for the first goal, and VVD's appalling lack of effort to close down the cross for the 4th. Total lack of commitment, utter sh!t.