Pellegrino 1 Puel 4 - Post match Meltdown

Dark Munster

Outfought, outplayed, outpaced, out of sight...

We've had some stinkers of the years... that one is right up there

Only one that seemed to try was CA; the rest can be rested. Bring on the under 21s (and their manager) as it can't be really worse...

Edited by ButtikonSaint

So, I guess Markus really is dead now.

Is that necessary? You sound horrible.

Very poor tonight, no plus points. MoPe is not the solution but a serious problem as he has not worked out how to change things.

Still... Detectorists is on in a bit!

Is that necessary? You sound horrible.

Very poor tonight, no plus points. MoPe is not the solution but a serious problem as he has not worked out how to change things.

Still... Detectorists is on in a bit!

I wasnt being horrible. I was referring to the the death of the hope and happiness he gave us. Try not to be such a ninny.

If Puel has learned from his sacking and improves, good for him. If he's another Craig Shakespeare, so be it. I only really care about Saints.

Still, least we're improving right and it'll all be fine...probably? Hmmm.

I see no point criticising individual players right now, they're all in atrocious form so the manager is badly failing his job, as he has all season. Amazed just how bad he's been to be honest.

We really risk going down if he isn't gone in the morning. Our fixtures will not get more favourable than they have been.

Excellent post. He has to go but we will suffer at the hands of bumbling Les who will wait until we’ve ****ed away even more points (it will probably take an unthinkable defeat at home to Hudds for him to be given the chop).

There are definitely three teams worse than us in this division, maybe four.

The big issues for me are:

1. We have already played many of our 'easier games' (home games against bottom half teams)

2. We don't really look like winning away from home - our counter attack game is crap which means against the better teams we're playing for a 0-0 and against the 'lesser' teams we play like we do at home (which is going so well...).

3. I don't mind rotation but we don't have many players who can step in and play the same role, so with rotation comes a different dynamic and the players have no continuity and it stifles us.

We'll be ok but I think this season is a big reality check for many at the club - players and staff alike. I don't know enough about our owner to know how he will behave, but I imagine he is wondering what his £220m is actually doing for him right now. Even if I knew nothing about my investment, if it was my money I'd start to get involved. And that could be dangerous for the club - however they only have themselves to blame.

We should go after their manager. He looks very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we've learned three things.

We Saints fans are not Premiership quality.

We haven't a clue when it comes to judging the quality of football managers.

Puel is better than Southampton Football Club.

There are definitely three teams worse than us in this division, maybe four.

The big issues for me are:

1. We have already played many of our 'easier games' (home games against bottom half teams)

2. We don't really look like winning away from home - our counter attack game is crap which means against the better teams we're playing for a 0-0 and against the 'lesser' teams we play like we do at home (which is going so well...).

3. I don't mind rotation but we don't have many players who can step in and play the same role, so with rotation comes a different dynamic and the players have no continuity and it stifles us.

We'll be ok but I think this season is a big reality check for many at the club - players and staff alike. I don't know enough about our owner to know how he will behave, but I imagine he is wondering what his £220m is actually doing for him right now. Even if I knew nothing about my investment, if it was my money I'd start to get involved. And that could be dangerous for the club - however they only have themselves to blame.

Good post.

This season has been remarkably pattern-less. The only consistent thing about us is we struggle to score goals.

Wake up. We are going down. Even the likes of Palace, WHU & WBA are starting to pick up points. We look utterly ****ing clueless. We're incapable of beating teams in the top 6 and have been for a few seasons. The fact that we're we're now incapable of beating teams like Stoke, Leicester, Brighton, Watford, Huddersfield and Bournemouth shows just how ****ed we are.

I seem to have missed this. Got any links for a report on any particular incident?

Probably because he got booed on the lap of honour or some trolls put something on Twitter...happens all the time amongst fans of all teams but this “Saints fans aren’t fit for the Prem/don’t know how good they’ve got it” seems to be the “in” thing to say on here. It’s total trash, every fan on here wants Saints to be better. Anyone who says they are delighted for the opposing manager after we’ve received a thrashing can’t credibly call themselves a Saint IMO.

Wake up. We are going down. Even the likes of Palace, WHU & WBA are starting to pick up points. We look utterly ****ing clueless. We're incapable of beating teams in the top 6 and have been for a few seasons. The fact that we're we're now incapable of beating teams like Stoke, Leicester, Brighton, Watford, Huddersfield and Bournemouth shows just how ****ed we are.
Bit of an overreaction. I reckon at the moment, Huddersfield, Swansea, Newcastle and West brom are bigger contenders for the drop than us. That could change of course- the Huddersfield game will tell us a lot but that will probably be a draw. Not a time to talk about certain relegation just yet but if I were the club I'd look to make a change if we are hovering around the drop zone about Christmas.

Bit of an overreaction. I reckon at the moment, Huddersfield, Swansea, Newcastle and West brom are bigger contenders for the drop than us. That could change of course- the Huddersfield game will tell us a lot but that will probably be a draw. Not a time to talk about certain relegation just yet but if I were the club I'd look to make a change if we are hovering around the drop zone about Christmas.

In 12 days...

After all these games Pellegrino still has no idea what his best team is. Constant chopping and changing.

Drops our two best performers from the weekend (Hoj and Stephens). Time to go.

This sums it up well for me. Puel used to cop flak for tinkering with a team playing Europa; Prem and Cup matches. Pellegrino chops and changes, on the basis of what? Hojbjerg and Stephens were great performers last weekend; you have to back them up. I was stunned to see Tadic left on the pitch for so long tonight; Boufal was much more industrious and involved, but hauled off on the hour....for Redmond?? There's a contagion around the team, and Pellegrino is at the heart of it.

In 12 days...

It would require us losing our next two. Even then it's still an overreaction to say we are going to get relegated. We aren't in the same situation as Swansea for example. I think we won't be far off the relegation zone this year but we have improved performance wise over the last few weeks to make me confident that we can scrape enough points to get by. Ideally I'd like a change of manager though during that period so we have something to feel hopeful about.

So, saints. Act now. Please. I want to wake up hearing he's gone. And that we're on top in the Ashes obvs

Got to act now. Reed, MP, Black - All out. It's getting too late. MP should've gone before the Everton game, but that result just lured people into a false sense of security. Totally out of his depth and has been since day one.

Yes, Puel was boring, uninspiring and difficult to take to, but he probably should have been given another season. He got us to Wembley and a top half finish. It was those last 6 or 7 games that sealed his fate. Too many 0-0 draws, but as I've always said, if all those 0-0 draws had been 2-2 or 3-3 we'd have the same number of points and he'd still be our manager.

Swansea are gone. I can see any of the others getting out of trouble. Even Palace! All I can see is us getting into trouble.

Missed this one (after missing Everton and first 10 minutes of Arsenal, it seems as though this time at least this was a good one to miss...)

Anyone give a recap of what went wrong? I thought the team looked good - arguably our strongest lineup, though would have been nice to see Hojbjerg instead of Davis.

It seems like those championing MP and calling out the "morons" for wanting him sacked are now silent, while the "Pellegrino Out" and "new manager" threads are out in full force! Predictable...

I'd almost be pleased for Claude if it wasn't so worrying for Saints. I thought this game would be a good marker of where we are, given we have seen signs of improvement recently without picking up the points we've deserved. That marker is now not looking very encouraging!

We looked leaden-legged and they were better all over the pitch. Their attackers are better than ours but that was as big a hiding as I can remember for along time - men vs boys. I thought the Gk Was our best player on the night. Cedric clearly not fit. Davis Romeu Tadic off the pace completely. They gave us a masterclass in quick and incisive counter attacking.

Tbh I think 5-6 teams won’t get 40 points this year and it’s going to be very tight for a number of clubs, us included. This has been coming since last year and a slow decline for a while is looking quite alarming to me now.

We got what we deserved. A thrashing. Delighted for Puel after the disgusting way our fans and club treated him.

you enjoy finding what you perceive as moral high ground over fellow supporters and hammering it home don’t you.

as you are so pleased for Puel go and support Leicester.

What a gutless inept performance tonight and I said to a few work mates today that this game would act as a marker of where we are. Well it's not looking clever. I see absolutely no improvement on last year and players have gone backwards.

Fair play to puel who got it spot on tactically whilst pellegrino at 3-0 down didn't appear to change anything.

Issues lay with our gutless spineless board who lord it up when things go well but totally disappear when things don't. If we haven't got our first choice managers over the years is it because they don't want to work under reed and Krueger?

I can't really blame Pellegrino as he's out of his depth. He's drowning. I can't see why he was appointed whatsoever.

Gutted tonight.

Davis was atrocious and embarrassing. The rest were awful

Nothing further to add.

I like Steven Davis but that was the worst game I have seen him have in a Saints shirt.

Really struggling to find a positive about anyone tonight, Bertrand was poor but not as poor as the rest.

Got to act now. Reed, MP, Black - All out. It's getting too late. MP should've gone before the Everton game, but that result just lured people into a false sense of security. Totally out of his depth and has been since day one.

Yes, Puel was boring, uninspiring and difficult to take to, but he probably should have been given another season. He got us to Wembley and a top half finish. It was those last 6 or 7 games that sealed his fate. Too many 0-0 draws, but as I've always said, if all those 0-0 draws had been 2-2 or 3-3 we'd have the same number of points and he'd still be our manager.

You were one of the chief Puel haters!

Well, we've learned three things.

We Saints fans are not Premiership quality.

We haven't a clue when it comes to judging the quality of football managers.

Puel is better than Southampton Football Club.

This made me smile!

I hope you enjoy supporting Puel...you do know in abut eighteen months he will be sacked again don't you? No manager lasts much more than that these days...are you supporting just him or the club he is at during that time? (It's cheaper to support just him, it saves you having to buy new scarfs every time he changes club)

I have no complaints about the team that was sent out to play

However every outfield player was inept

Only 6/10 performance could be given to Bertrand and many armchair fans will be surprised that, in my opinion, Forster was our best player.

Leicester won at an absolute canter

You cant blame the Manager for the individual's performance but he does have to take responsibility for the shape and enthusiasm of his players, both sadly lacking.

If we do escape relegation this year some major surgery needs to be done to the team as well as an in depth review as to how the club is being run

I bet the new owner is a happy chappie!!!

Tonight does not change the turgid pedestrian one goal in seven game rubbish Puel's team served up at the end of last season.

Hiring the current muppet of a manager doesn't change it either, just makes it even worse.................

Players, Reed, Kruger also take some responsibility of course, but the whole management team needs replacing.

The Southampton way tonight involved no academy graduates in the starting 11..............................

Reed & Krugers silence speaks volumes..............

Who could replace him?? I would still go for Gary Rowett or someone of that ilk. If we are going to lose 4-1 we might as well lose with Stephens, Ward Prowse, McQueen, Hesketh & Sims in the side as some of those on display tonight.

PEH has been outstanding in his last 2 games so MP drops him. What has Tadic got to do to get dropped??

But keep on talking about ****e fans & how good Puel is if you want..............................