Our thick entitled fans

saintmatt

Agree to an extent.

Our fans have turned in to typical spoilt Premier League brats. 8th place and a f*cking cup final. Quality of football may not have been great but people going on about entertainment factor as if they've gone to watch a show or a film. If that's the be all and end all for some people then why aren't they going to watch City/Arsenal?

Unfortunately it's a downward spiral now. Our 'support' has changed so much that we won't get behind anyone unless there's instant success and will keep hounding players and managers. Have said it before but I'm sure within the next few years we'll end up relegated again and it won't be the end of the world. We can shed our c*nty fans and get back to supporting the side and enjoying going to football again.

Bang on. Our fan base are a bunch of snivelling, whinging idiots. They are not saints supporters they are premier league customers. Whinging bleating dinlows. The sort of people who if they played the game would wear gloves in October. Too many fabrice Fernandes types in our fan base not enough Terry Hurlocks.

Bang on. Our fan base are a bunch of snivelling, whinging idiots. They are not saints supporters they are premier league customers. Whinging bleating dinlows. The sort of people who if they played the game would wear gloves in October. Too many fabrice Fernandes types in our fan base not enough Terry Hurlocks.

Sad to say but you are right. Fans that demand loyalty from players yet give absolutely none of it.

I remember the days when we would be proud to have a goalkeeper that played for England and if he had a bad run it would be us the supporters that lifted him and got his confidence back because he was one of our own. Nowadays our fans just kick him down further until he will be a nervous wreck.

We used to take great delight in our own home grown players coming through. Players like local lad JWP, still barely out of school and recognised as an outstanding prospect by everyone in football apart from the hysterical lynch mob on here. God knows what they would have said about Benali but he became a cult hero to the old fanbase.

I supported Northern Ireland in the Euros like it was my own team, why? because of Steven Davis. He was pivotal in their extraordinary run and has been a fantastic and under rated servant for our club. I remember MOPO when asked about him just said "what a player". Not according to the armchair experts on here, tired legs, past it.

Nothing demonstrates the fickleness of some of our supporters than the Austin thread. ‘Get rid’ they demanded he is just ‘a championship striker’. Finally he gets some game time and he is van Nistelrooy.

When the clouds of relegation gather who do our new age fans believe will be the ones in the dressing room revving the players up to put in a performance; VVD? Tadic? Boufal? No it will be the Forsters, the Steven Davis's, the Warde Prowses and the Austins.

Sad to say but you are right. Fans that demand loyalty from players yet give absolutely none of it.

I remember the days when we would be proud to have a goalkeeper that played for England and if he had a bad run it would be us the supporters that lifted him and got his confidence back because he was one of our own. Nowadays our fans just kick him down further until he will be a nervous wreck.

We used to take great delight in our own home grown players coming through. Players like local lad JWP, still barely out of school and recognised as an outstanding prospect by everyone in football apart from the hysterical lynch mob on here. God knows what they would have said about Benali but he became a cult hero to the old fanbase.

I supported Northern Ireland in the Euros like it was my own team, why? because of Steven Davis. He was pivotal in their extraordinary run and has been a fantastic and under rated servant for our club. I remember MOPO when asked about him just said "what a player". Not according to the armchair experts on here, tired legs, past it.

Nothing demonstrates the fickleness of some of our supporters than the Austin thread. ‘Get rid’ they demanded he is just ‘a championship striker’. Finally he gets some game time and he is van Nistelrooy.

When the clouds of relegation gather who do our new age fans believe will be the ones in the dressing room revving the players up to put in a performance; VVD? Tadic? Boufal? No it will be the Forsters, the Steven Davis's, the Warde Prowses and the Austins.

Great post, but unfortunately the modern premier league football fan is here to stay. I can't even just blame the younger generation as there are plenty of fans who have been going for years who have also forgotten who we are and where we came from and they are all demanding nothing but success.

What confused rubbish.

Think you’ve been on the wrong mongboard pal if you think this place is anti-Davis. A few people have called out about recent performances which is justified -and verlaine1979 will always verlaine1979 but Davis has been a legend here for years.

JWP is nothing like Benali, other than the superficial fact that they’re local. JWP’s a robot, an aloof, generic young premier league footballer who’s more interested in filming his ‘tekkers’ and what his u-21 peers like Jesse Lingard have to say than developing any affinity with the fans.

The Benalis of this world have disappeared from the game. The issue is structural. Doesn’t mean our support base won’t get behind a player who’s committed. Maya has emerged as a fan favourite; Romeu has always been a favourite. It’s especially difficult in our case insofar as the rapid turnover in playing staff has made it difficult to develop much rapport with players relative to our L1 or championship days or our earlier sides.

Fans are fickle shocker - love dimwits who romanticise an imaginary past, perhaps because they were never there to begin with. You mention Forster but it was only a few years ago that our ‘old school’ fanbase was slaughtering Kelvin Davis during matches in far harsher tones that Forster has ever experienced. One might argue our old fanbase was much more passionate in both airing support and dissatisfaction than the deadeyed, genteel new age crowd; but then that wouldn’t fit your confused little narrative, would it pal.

Social media has simply shone light on a fickleness that has always been present. Fans have always got on players back. Fans slated players who were fully committed like Dowie. Had mongboards existed back in the day, some would have been asking whether MLT is too inconsistent or after the 1998 WC whether he had lost it. Social media thrives on the narcissism of small differences and the need for controversy to sustain itself 24/7. It is the ultimate triumph of form over substance. Some see this and can discount the bluff, pantomime and noise; others seem to struggle and take it much more seriously.

Don’t worry little fella the world isn’t coming to an end.

Fans are more fickle true, but there again the clubs/players don't give a fig about the fans anymore. It's the way football is going and is why many are falling by the wayside. Not Saints fault but we now have a virtual faceless owner who's main priority is to use the club to make money. And you can say that about virtually all the top 40 clubs these days.

What confused rubbish.

Think you’ve been on the wrong mongboard pal if you think this place is anti-Davis. A few people have called out about recent performances which is justified -and verlaine1979 will always verlaine1979 but Davis has been a legend here for years.

JWP is nothing like Benali, other than the superficial fact that they’re local. JWP’s a robot, an aloof, generic young premier league footballer who’s more interested in filming his ‘tekkers’ and what his u-21 peers like Jesse Lingard have to say than developing any affinity with the fans.

The Benalis of this world have disappeared from the game. The issue is structural. Doesn’t mean our support base won’t get behind a player who’s committed. Maya has emerged as a fan favourite; Romeu has always been a favourite. It’s especially difficult in our case insofar as the rapid turnover in playing staff has made it difficult to develop much rapport with players relative to our L1 or championship days or our earlier sides.

Fans are fickle shocker - love dimwits who romanticise an imaginary past, perhaps because they were never there to begin with. You mention Forster but it was only a few years ago that our ‘old school’ fanbase was slaughtering Kelvin Davis during matches in far harsher tones that Forster has ever experienced. One might argue our old fanbase was much more passionate in both airing support and dissatisfaction than the deadeyed, genteel new age crowd; but then that wouldn’t fit your confused little narrative, would it pal.

Social media has simply shone light on a fickleness that has always been present. Fans have always got on players back. Fans slated players who were fully committed like Dowie. Had mongboards existed back in the day, some would have been asking whether MLT is too inconsistent or after the 1998 WC whether he had lost it. Social media thrives on the narcissism of small differences and the need for controversy to sustain itself 24/7. It is the ultimate triumph of form over substance. Some see this and can discount the bluff, pantomime and noise; others seem to struggle and take it much more seriously.

Paul Jones got plenty of stick early on for not being Maik Taylor who people thought didn't need replacing. And he was a Welsh international who tried hard and everything.

Glen Cockeril was called captain cr* p by a proportion of the Milton end when I was a lad. Probably because he was a lazy foreigner.

I do wonder what life was like in Sergei's completely made up past life when cheering old fashioned supporters did nothing but praise our hard working honest lads.

What confused rubbish.

Still winning hearts and minds I see Shurlock. I think you make some legitimate points especially about social media amplifying the perception of fan opinions. It is of course easy to see past Christmas's as always white and supporters have always given players stick particularly poor Iain Dowie but there has been a shift in a direction that is more fickle. It is difficult to measure but I would suggest the Poll on our manager captures it. 84% of respondents want the manager to be sacked after 4 1/2 months and the team 11th in the league. Allan Ball got the freedom of the city when he got us to 10th.

Paul Jones got plenty of stick early on for not being Maik Taylor who people thought didn't need replacing. And he was a Welsh international who tried hard and everything.

Glen Cockeril was called captain cr* p by a proportion of the Milton end when I was a lad. Probably because he was a lazy foreigner.

I do wonder what life was like in Sergei's completely made up past life when cheering old fashioned supporters did nothing but praise our hard working honest lads.

You have cited two players over a fifteen year period. Currently there are threads open where many posters are bashing four players, the manager, the assistant manager and the Director of football. Does that highlight my point for you?

I did chuckle though at your last line and maybe the past does look a little rosier than it was at the time.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

Still winning hearts and minds I see Shurlock. I think you make some legitimate points especially about social media amplifying the perception of fan opinions. It is of course easy to see past Christmas's as always white and supporters have always given players stick particularly poor Iain Dowie but there has been a shift in a direction that is more fickle. It is difficult to measure but I would suggest the Poll on our manager captures it. 84% of respondents want the manager to be sacked after 4 1/2 months and the team 11th in the league. Allan Ball got the freedom of the city when he got us to 10th.

How much of that is due to expectations relative to recent history rather than some fundamental shift in the fanbase?

Ball replaced the unpopular Branfoot. The situation is completely different with Pellegrino who took over after a period of sustained success.

It was Tocqueville who said revolutions happen not because life is s**t but because of people’s experience of things getting better and the expectation for further improvements. That insight is as true today as it was 200+ years ago.

Pellegrino is arguably not even delivering on reduced expectations.

Also remember that Ball got us playing entertaining football again. Yes entertainment mattered in those days too. What for a Le Tiss-Ekelund partnership today? Pellegrino was brought in on the assumption that he was committed to playing more attractive football - yes parts of the fanbase wet the bed over it; but it is also what the club’s wise men and former pros like Le Tiss demanded.

Edited by shurlock

You have cited two players over a fifteen year period. Currently there are threads open where many posters are bashing four players, the manager, the assistant manager and the Director of football. Does that highlight my point for you?

I did chuckle though at your last line and maybe the past does look a little rosier than it was at the time.

Er, I just used a couple of random examples that sprung to mind. Pretty sure I could easily come up with 100 players, managers, assistant managers from my time supporting Saints (from about 1987) that if there was the social media we have now would be getting slated.

You've singled out Steven Davis who basically only gets slagged off by one contributor - if we had forums in 1989 you'd find similar level of grief from someone against Matt Le Tiss or Shearer, there would have been one nutter.

It is difficult to measure but I would suggest the Poll on our manager captures it. 84% of respondents want the manager to be sacked after 4 1/2 months and the team 11th in the league. Allan Ball got the freedom of the city when he got us to 10th.

To be fair the club was a different animal back then, we were forever punching above our weight during that period at the Dell so 10th was pretty good. New stadium, rich owners and one of the most expensive squads outside the top 6 changes expectations somewhat.

Idiot fans believing Cortese’s Champions League fantasies and other bull**** club PR doesn’t help either.

If we had kept Puel we would have finished top half this season. The Puel-out brigade just can't bring themselves to admit that. Sad.

I'd say "might", it's hardly conclusive - I'd just have liked the opportunity to see what he could do in a "normal" season, as opposed to one where we played endless midweek matches and then basically had a month off playing no-one and then endless midweek matches at the end, too.

Fans are more fickle true, but there again the clubs/players don't give a fig about the fans anymore. It's the way football is going and is why many are falling by the wayside. Not Saints fault but we now have a virtual faceless owner who's main priority is to use the club to make money. And you can say that about virtually all the top 40 clubs these days.

Aren't they chap. One minute your waxing lyrical about Katherina Liebherr and Ralph Kruger, the next you're whining and moaning how much the club is not run for the fans. You get yourself is such a frothy mess your pink shirt must be soaked in you're own angry, seeping perspiration.

Aren't they chap. One minute your waxing lyrical about Katherina Liebherr and Ralph Kruger, the next you're whining and moaning how much the club is not run for the fans. You get yourself is such a frothy mess your pink shirt must be soaked in you're own angry, seeping perspiration.
I wish the club was actually run for the real fans and actually gave the real fans what real fans want which I believe is a full range of club history books stocked in both club shops at all times.

I'd say "might", it's hardly conclusive - I'd just have liked the opportunity to see what he could do in a "normal" season, as opposed to one where we played endless midweek matches and then basically had a month off playing no-one and then endless midweek matches at the end, too.

Spot on. I struggle with our less intelligent fans not understanding the difference between a 53 game season and what may be a 40 game one, a fully fit squad with Lamina and Hoedt versus last year, etc etc etc

I don't have a problem with that at all, in fact it's a good thing. If it weren't so, we would find ourselves back in the position we were in ten or so years ago. I think fans need to get overt the fact that (most) owners buy clubs to make money, not to lose it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remind us why we are to blame again?

As a fanbase we may have disliked Puel, but if you think that had anything to do with his sacking then you're more thick then the thick entitled ones.

Edited by LGTL