Saints v Chelsea Thread

Koolman

I recall being at Stamford Bridge on more than one occasion and heading home after a Saints win. Sadly, I don't think that will be the case this time round (and not because I'm in NZ!).

Can't see this team with it's current seemingly clueless manager getting anything from this and could well be a repeat of Wed night.

Happy to be proved wrong though :D

After sitting through that dirge last night, I am going to skip the Beer course pre match and go straight into the top shelf liquid refreshments (just like the team seemed to have done yesterday afternoon) just to numb the senses a little........................ do you think they will let me take a sofa into the ground for me to hide behind.

Still its a shop window game, Chelsea can get the wobbles, who knows what we will be dished up by the Mighty Saints. Team will be tinkered with again no doubt. I live in hope.

I predict a defensive set up, more spirited performance and a narrow 2-1 defeat. People will say we are still improving but we won’t have any points and will slide closer to the drop zone.

Sounds about right, then against Huddersfield we'll play sh1t and only draw or maybe even lose.

I predict a defensive set up, more spirited performance and a narrow 2-1 defeat. People will say we are still improving but we won’t have any points and will slide closer to the drop zone.

It could go either way for Pellegrino another thrashing before Xmas and no points and he will be gone

A couple of draws and his certain death will linger on a while

Probably Les will hold on till Feb before sacking him ensuring we will be in danger of getting relegated

To be honest he's not able to manage this team to deliver an above relegation zone finish

He is a dead man walking . Tadic and Redmond will be largely responsible

Redmond and Tadic pass more to the opposition than they do to us.

It could go either way for Pellegrino another thrashing before Xmas and no points and he will be gone

A couple of draws and his certain death will linger on a while

Probably Les will hold on till Feb before sacking him ensuring we will be in danger of getting relegated

To be honest he's not able to manage this team to deliver an above relegation zone finish

He is a dead man walking . Tadic and Redmond will be largely responsible

Redmond and Tadic pass more to the opposition than they do to us.

Really don't see us sacking Pellegrino, that would be an admission that they've cacked up 2 managerial appointments in 15 months or so.

Austin to be dropped for not scoring for a whole 90 minutes, Tadic to start despite not doing anything of note for what feels like a whole 90 games. Respectable defeat, just like vs. United and City. Draws praise but inevitably worthless. 2-1, late winner.

----------------Forster---------------

----------------Taylor----------------

--------------McCarthy--------------

---Stephens VvD Yoshida Hoedt---

Cedric--------Hojbjerg--------Bertrand

---------------Austin----------------

LOL, might want to call up an extra goalkeeper from our PL2 squad too.

I think MP sits Austin for this, with Gabbi playing the whole way (maybe a late sub by Long).

------------- Forster

------ Stephens VVD Hoedt

Cedric Hojbjerg Romeu Bertrand

------------- Lemina

--------- Redmond Long

Redmond and Long up top purely to run around a lot and put some pressure on the Chelsea centre halves and Kante. Austin and Gabbiadini on for them at 65 minutes.

------------- Forster

------------- Lemina

--------- Redmond Long

Redmond and Long up top purely to run around a lot and put some pressure on the Chelsea centre halves and Kante. Austin and Gabbiadini on for them at 65 minutes.

Thats the team for me too.

Soak up the pressure like City and hit and hope on the break.

If going down 2-0 in the first half then I hope we get mullered 7-0 come the end so Pellegrino will have to leave at last.

After sitting through that dirge last night, I am going to skip the Beer course pre match and go straight into the top shelf liquid refreshments (just like the team seemed to have done yesterday afternoon) just to numb the senses a little........................ do you think they will let me take a sofa into the ground for me to hide behind.

Still its a shop window game, Chelsea can get the wobbles, who knows what we will be dished up by the Mighty Saints. Team will be tinkered with again no doubt. I live in hope.

As this manager seems to learn nothing as he goes along expect the same team!

On the other hand-someone said he is a tactical genius against the big teams just for putting everyone behind the ball!

Will be interesting to see what Black does for this game anyway....

I recall being at Stamford Bridge on more than one occasion and heading home after a Saints win. Sadly, I don't think that will be the case this time round (and not because I'm in NZ!).

Can't see this team with it's current seemingly clueless manager getting anything from this and could well be a repeat of Wed night.

Happy to be proved wrong though :D

My 1st away game as a little ankle biter was at Stamford Bridge late 60's .... we won 6-2 with Big Ron getting 4, Chivers 2 and for Chelsea Ossie got 2, one of which was one of his best ever!!

Away games have all been downhill since that day!!

My only other visit there was 2-0 v Palace in the 76 semi .... sadly I won't be there to make it 3rd time lucky, but will be watching it with @dubaisaints by the beach. Hopefully this will help influence the game.

Shame with the 4 hour time difference and temps plummeting down to below 20c, there won't be as many girls in bikinis to take our minds off the match if it turns into car crash territory :lol:

Will suits saints perfectly as we set up to counter attack with redmond and possibly long starting.

A plucky display but won’t quite be good enough as we lose 3..1.

Still, 1st away day with my lad whose come of age so some beers on the train up and then Earl’s Court will help numb the pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------Forster----------------

Cedric--Stephens--VVD--Yosh--Bertrand

-----------Lemina--Hojbjerg---------

--------Redmond--Tadic-------------

---------------Gabi---------------------

What I think it'll be. Romeu has looked off the pace recently and Hojbjerg didn't play on Wed.

------------- Forster

------------- Lemina

--------- Redmond Long

A bit worrying when all we can expect of our front men is to run around a lot.

I'm wondering if Romeu is better as a single DM, with two players ahead of him, rather than playing as part of a "double pivot". Feels like he shoulders the burden of being the defensive shield well, but when he has to share that role he struggles to impose himself so much. Obviously there's only a subtle difference between a 1-2 and a 2-1 shape, but maybe Lemina and Hojbjerg (or whoever we play, but they would currently be my choice) should have a bit more license to get forward, run about (ha) and drop in when needed.

------------------ Forster

------ Cedric Stephen Yoshida Bertrand

------------- Hojbjerg Romeu

------------------ Lemina

------------- Gabbiddini Boufal

------------------- Austin

VVD has enough. His "none of my business" attitude can tell from his face everytime when Forster got the ball from the net.

Tadic, Redmond, Boufal and Davis keep losing the balls for counter-attack by the other side. Amongst them, Davis' are more damaging as he lost the balls in the midfield. Tadic doesn't really care. Redmond blamed others after losing. Only Boufal would come back to try to get it back. Gaddi had been used as No.9.

Will be interesting to see what Black does for this game anyway....

It will be interesting because Black left the club over a week ago, not been involved since Man City. So you certainly can't blame him for Wednesday's capitulation. As hard as it is for some of our fans to accept, he's had little impact on tactics this season and the players got on well with him.

It will be interesting because Black left the club over a week ago, not been involved since Man City. So you certainly can't blame him for Wednesday's capitulation. As hard as it is for some of our fans to accept, he's had little impact on tactics this season and the players got on well with him.

Proof ?

Really surprised more people haven't picked up on this post given the issue a lot of people have with him.

Having said that there is nothing about it on the O/s and his still listed as a first team coach as far as I can tell.

Really surprised more people haven't picked up on this post given the issue a lot of people have with him.

Having said that there is nothing about it on the O/s and his still listed as a first team coach as far as I can tell.

Even the dubious world of Wiki ain't got that.............. there might have been some premature excitement/assumption as he made a guest appearance as Scotland assistant coach to Malky Mackay for the game against Holland in the last international break.

------------------ Forster

------ Cedric Stephen Yoshida Bertrand

------------- Hojbjerg Romeu

------------------ Lemina

------------- Gabbiddini Boufal

------------------- Austin

VVD has enough. His "none of my business" attitude can tell from his face everytime when Forster got the ball from the net.

Tadic, Redmond, Boufal and Davis keep losing the balls for counter-attack by the other side. Amongst them, Davis' are more damaging as he lost the balls in the midfield. Tadic doesn't really care. Redmond blamed others after losing. Only Boufal would come back to try to get it back. Gaddi had been used as No.9.

But that's not where you're playing him... Certainly wouldn't mind seeing Van Dijk dropped though.

I googled this a few hours ago, and there is no confirmation or indication - even from the Coventry Advertiser which writes an article every time he sneezes. You'll understand fans need evidence, not just an instruction to "just believe what I am telling you".

Absolutely no way Pellegrino will be able to lift the players for tomorrow after their Wednesday evening debacle and bear in mind the weather is likely to be as hostile as it was on Wednesday. Let's face it the weather was a factor for quite a few of our lily livered professionals (as Jonesie would have said "they didn't like it up 'em") the other day.