Chelsea 1 Saints 0 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Play your best starting 11. Simple. Not rocket science. How many "top 6" sides leave their top scorer on bench? None!

I'm sorry, but we need a manager that shows some ambition, and some intent on winning games of football. Some passion and desire. I honestly think I couldnt do a worse job than this clown.

HAS to be sacked in morning

Play your best starting 11. Simple. Not rocket science. How many "top 6" sides leave their top scorer on bench? None!

I'm sorry, but we need a manager that shows some ambition, and some intent on winning games of football. Some passion and desire. I honestly think I couldnt do a worse job than this clown.

I agree.

Agreed, has to go but dimwitted Reed will wait until we are bottom to do anything.

A defensive-minded manager, who is only able to set up a 'team' to play backs-to-the-wall against stronger opponents, delivers a defensive-based defeat against a superior team.

Okay. Meh.

It means he stays a little longer. That is not good.

Didn’t Chelsea leave Morata on the bench today!?

Inclined to agree that this manager is lacking ambition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, narrow defeats so far this season vs Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea, two of which we deserved a draw (not today) and unfortunate not to beat Arsenal.

Unfortunately, half decent performances against these top sides only serves to mask the underlying issues.

If we don't get 3 points next week at home to Huddersfield then Pellegrino's position becomes less tenable...

Can't really understand why Redmond was still on the pitch at the end. Late on he was fed a great ball with a chance to show his pace but he lost it and then fouled the Chelsea defender. He must be blinding hot on the training pitch.

Redmond's ONE asset is his pace. I honestly cannot fathom why he is so loathe to use it. He must be the least intelligent footballer we've ever had.

4 years ago we were 2nd in the table. To say we are going backwards is an understatement!

Its just no fun being a Saints fan right now. No entertainment, no passion, no desire, no leaders, shall I go on???

We ARE better then this!!

Clear out needed next season in Championship

utter garbage.....and when we actually tried to play you could only wonder what would have happened if we had done that from the start. I am sick of the defensive, negative tactics with 11 behind the ball.....at least go for it and try to win some games.

Taking our best midfielder (Hoj) off was baffling but then nothing this clown does surprises me.

And certainly looks like Black is no longer at the club so that;s one less scapegoat.

PELLEGRINO OUT

To be fair if it was not for Forster that would have been 5 or 6. Only him and Yoshi played well imo. Xavi had another 'brilliant' game for us....

He made some good saves for us but will be disappointed with yet another set piece goal from way outside the Penalty Area.

So, narrow defeats so far this season vs Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea, two of which we deserved a draw (not today) and unfortunate not to beat Arsenal.

Unfortunately, half decent performances against these top sides only serves to mask the underlying issues.

If we don't get 3 points next week at home to Huddersfield then Pellegrino's position becomes less tenable...

absolutely. It’s all very well this manager being good at setting up to frustrate the big teams but we are still losing. 1-0 or 4-0 equals the same number of points gained - 0.

clueless when it comes to setting up against teams we have to attack and beat. Listening to how good Huddersfield were today I’m fearful of what might happen next week.

So all in all he’s not very good whatever quality of the opposition!

Wonderful :mcinnes:

Personally, I thought the game went to plan for the most part, keep it tight, restrict them to long shots and try to hit them on the break.

Austin would not have lasted 90 minutes having to cover the ground that Gabbi did, so bring him on for the last half hour.

We had 3 good half chances, plus a few scrambles in their box, minfd you they had a fair few scrambles in our box too.

Whatever genius came up with the idea of keepers showing the wall side of the goal at free-kick needs shooting . It is a terrible starting position, unless you are Lloris or De Gea.

You've been saying it since we got re-promoted to the premier league. You were bound to be 'right' sooner or later #brokenclocksyndrome

Not really. I have warned against complacency and the possibility of relegation. I have been undoubtedly one of the few posters to see what others could not and now I am being proven right in my assertions.

absolutely. It’s all very well this manager being good at setting up to frustrate the big teams but we are still losing. 1-0 or 4-0 equals the same number of points gained - 0.

clueless when it comes to setting up against teams we have to attack and beat. Listening to how good Huddersfield were today I’m fearful of what might happen next week.

So all in all he’s not very good whatever quality of the opposition!

Wonderful :mcinnes:

Exactly, I feared a narrow defeat before the game and that’s what we’ve done. A loss still equals 0. We need rid of this utter utter clown.

Agreed, has to go but dimwitted Reed will wait until we are bottom to do anything.

I'd like to think that Les Reed is drawing up a list of replacements and sounding them out discretely. We don't want to do what Everton did and sack the manager willy nilly without a plan.

I don't think we'll sack him at all tbh. I just hope that he is backed in the transfer market and we get players in early.

No real complaints with that result away against one of the best teams in the league.

Some observations however:

Forster is incompetent for this level. He actually did quite well today, pulled off some decent saves, but this is meaningless when his inability to get down to free kicks/long shots that are routinely savable for a decent goalkeeper cost us goals. It is well and truely out there, all other teams know it and try to exploit it (usually succeeding) and this means he simply is not fit for purpose.

2. Redmond - No footballing intelligence whatsoever. Cuts inside and lays it off when he should drive towards goal. Drives towards goal when he should cut inside and lay it off.

I'd like to think that Les Reed is drawing up a list of replacements and sounding them out discretely. We don't want to do what Everton did and sack the manager willy nilly without a plan.

I don't think we'll sack him at all tbh. I just hope that he is backed in the transfer market and we get players in early.

I hope he’s doing exactly this.

Can’t see Pellegrino or a new manager being backed in the transfer market though, which may impact his ability to get a new manager in.

The trouble is, it is not a case of a great squad, or even a very decent squad, but poorly managed. The squad has too much dross and too many “stepping stoners” who are disgruntled because they see their career pathway having turned up a cul-de-dac when they thought it led to Liverpool or Tottenham.

A new manager is probably required but certainly major surgery to the squad. A full rebuild required.