Chelsea 1 Saints 0 - Post Match Reactions

St Chalet

Reed could quite easily admit he was wrong and move on from MP. Everyone makes mistakes. But we need to act or risk going down and staying down for years. Could cost tens of millions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reed could quite easily admit he was wrong and move on from MP. Everyone makes mistakes. But we need to act or risk going down and staying down for years. Could cost tens of millions

o

was it Reed who approached WHU for a job, apparently Sullivan alluded to somebody like him.

He keeps making these mistakes as his policy is all wrong.

Get a good manager in and stop gambling with wannabe’s or hasbeens.

Well perhaps he'd just come back to clear out his locker and stayed to watch the game for old time's sake. I think the poster who said he's left is definitely right. They wouldn't bother announcing such a trivial event on the official website or anything would they?

Rumour has it he has a bad back and is giving up coaching for a while.

For most of the first half I thought we blunted a below par Chelsea and gave them one real chance that Willian wasted. Will watch the free kick on tv but judging from reaction on here and elsewhere it sounds like a poor wall.

But our approach in the second half until Boufal came on was woeful. I used to enjoy away trips under Puel, Koeman and MP, where we would dominate the ball and win, lose or draw be there giving it a go.

Worrying performances in terms of attitude and stomach for the relegation battle from Redmond, Gabby and Lamina. They all look like they are hating life out there right now. Question marks still for me on concentration levels for Hoedt too.

As I have said on the Manager thread we have only got Spurs to play for the first time and highly likely to see us lose that too. Then in second half of season we have extra away game because of Wet Spam Stadium shambles. Udders game is absolutely huge and if, god forbid, we lost that I could see us stuck on 18 points after 21 games with Liverpool, City, Spurs and Chelsea all to visit St Mary’s gunning for title or European football.

I can see the argument for firing MP now. I can’t possibly imagine he could survive a failure to beat Udders.

Finally what on earth was the fight between two Saints fans next to the food and drink bit in the concourse about? Embarrassing...

Worrying performances in terms of attitude and stomach for the relegation battle from Redmond, Gabby and Lamina. They all look like they are hating life out there right now.

Lemina tweeted that his ankle is still not right and hasn't been for the last two games. Sounds like MP shouldn't be picking him.

The only person talking any sense right now is old Dave Merrington

That old dinosaur?

Just banging on about the same thing year after year isn't talking sense. His "rousing speech " on Weds was more Ned Flanders than Winston Churchill. They should pension him off, ****ing jumpers for goalposts punditry

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

That old dinosaur?

Just banging on about the same thing year after year isn't talking sense. His "rousing speech " on Weds was more Ned Flanders than Winston Churchill. They should pension him off, ****ing jumpers for goalposts punditry

Makes more sense than our current manager, thats a fact

For most of the first half I thought we blunted a below par Chelsea and gave them one real chance that Willian wasted. Will watch the free kick on tv but judging from reaction on here and elsewhere it sounds like a poor wall.

But our approach in the second half until Boufal came on was woeful. I used to enjoy away trips under Puel, Koeman and MP, where we would dominate the ball and win, lose or draw be there giving it a go.

Worrying performances in terms of attitude and stomach for the relegation battle from Redmond, Gabby and Lamina. They all look like they are hating life out there right now. Question marks still for me on concentration levels for Hoedt too.

As I have said on the Manager thread we have only got Spurs to play for the first time and highly likely to see us lose that too. Then in second half of season we have extra away game because of Wet Spam Stadium shambles. Udders game is absolutely huge and if, god forbid, we lost that I could see us stuck on 18 points after 21 games with Liverpool, City, Spurs and Chelsea all to visit St Mary’s gunning for title or European football.

I can see the argument for firing MP now. I can’t possibly imagine he could survive a failure to beat Udders.

Finally what on earth was the fight between two Saints fans next to the food and drink bit in the concourse about? Embarrassing...

Very sensible post, backs up my concerns 100% Pat Nevin on 5live couldn't understand how negative we were, Chelsea were so average in first half we should have gone for it. It worked for West Ham

Not long back so excuse my ramblings.

It's no secret that I really don't rate MP. I think he's tactically weak and dogmatic in terms on 1 up front and will take us down. However, the team was set up well today with minimal space between the lines for Hazard to exploit and it worked really well right up until the 45th minute.

The real issue, for me, was when the shape changed as Redmond, who had done as asked up to that point, just slowed everything down or simply turned into trouble by coming inside and snuffed out our attacks all by himself.

Redmond should have been subbed for Austin IMHO allowing Gabbi to come from deeper. Boufal was tremendous I thought.

Stephens was my MOTM.

Quoted figures for the whole season because my original post mentioned the whole season so far. You selectively chose to go on about the last 6 weeks.

As for formations, my argument is that the manager should find one which creates chances, scores goals and wins games - the amount of chances, goals scored and games won so far this season is testament to the fact he hasn't found it yet. We need to play in a way which suits the players we have, let them 'off the leash' as some pundits have been suggesting, and let the opposition worry about us. So yes, play that formation week in, week out. Ferguson did that when he managed and didn't do too bad. Is that a bizarre thought? Perhaps.

Btw "in the last 6 weeks" Boufal & Austin have both started 5 out of 8 games, so just over half......not exactly regular is it? Plus in the "last 6 weeks" you were banging on about we've won 1 in 8 games!! Got 5pts from possible 24. That is relegation form, or is that another bizarre thought?

I'd be surprised, Les Reed got a promotion last season. Maybe they're offering more money, but he has a level of control here that he wouldn't get anywhere else.

And there's the problem - we have a dud Manager who won't resign because he wants his compensation; Reed and Kreuger who won't act because they would be admitting their mistake and the Chinese owners who probably don't know enough about English Football to make an informed decision!

It's no secret that I really don't rate MP. I think he's tactically weak and dogmatic in terms on 1 up front and will take us down. However, the team was set up well today with minimal space between the lines for Hazard to exploit and it worked really well right up until the 45th minute.

The real issue, for me, was when the shape changed as Redmond, who had done as asked up to that point, just slowed everything down or simply turned into trouble by coming inside and snuffed out our attacks all by himself.

Redmond should have been subbed for Austin IMHO allowing Gabbi to come from deeper. Boufal was tremendous I thought.

Stephens was my MOTM.

I like Stephens but he dropped a few clangars in this game.

To be fair if it was not for Forster that would have been 5 or 6. Only him and Yoshi played well imo. Xavi had another 'brilliant' game for us....
and how wonderful that our best two players were involved in the allowed goal.

Yoshi committing the foul in prime free kick range and Forster who couldn't be bothered to look up and defend the free kick.

i still don't fear relegation

Swansea, Newcastle, West Brom way more likely.

I'd like to think that Les Reed is drawing up a list of replacements and sounding them out discretely. We don't want to do what Everton did and sack the manager willy nilly without a plan.

I don't think we'll sack him at all tbh. I just hope that he is backed in the transfer market and we get players in early.

Whilst we don’t a team of world beaters this guy will not improve with changes to the squad because he drops players who play well and keeps players in who are crap !

The guy is clearly clueless ....

I like Stephens but he dropped a few clangars in this game.

The Redmond Tadic issue has not been sorted by a mediocre coach who does not see what is going on on the pitch in front of him....

No longer acceptable - a Tiro league coach would have seen those very simple issues by now but not MP....

Anyone could do better

I thought Saints were getting better but with a inconsistent formation team selection and no luck I'll be happy with a draw at Spurs when I go there. -7 GD is not as bad as some teams below us but we should have more goals from the chances created. Looks like the manager wrote off today's game so let's hope the owners don't write off the season and get a few players in window.

Stephens was my MOTM.

Pretty much sums it up.

We have the players with the ability, they just don't seem to create many sparks almost like they are shackled, when Boufal and Austin entered the game it was almost like the pair of them just went I am going to do what I am supposed to do as a footballer.

Anyone holding a candle for Nathan Redmond really needs to take a long hard look at themselves, yes he can be quick yes he can run with the ball but quite frankly that's it. So many times in the second half we had chances to open up Chelsea the ball came to Redmond and it all just stopped, yes he has created some assists but in reality he delivers so much less than he delivers, how the chuff the Black Box spat his name out, goodness only knows. Just about every Norwich fan I know had a rye smile when we bought him, they all said their is no doubt he can run with the ball, but as soon as he has to do 2 things it all goes to pieces because "quite frankly he is thick". There were moments today where if he wasn't thinking about what he was having for tea, or that nice pass 5 minutes ago, and switched on to the game he could have won the ball easily. Very frustrating especially when a player like Boufal comes on and runs at people, he may lose the ball now and again but instantly he is looking to win it back or force the player who robbed it off him to pass it back to us: by contrast Redmond wanders along feeling sorry for himself.

Big comcern today was Lemina, ok he came off the bench early on, but what the hell has happened to him? He was a bright spark, today he was all fingers and thumbs. I spotted a few weeks back he was getting the ar$e at the lack of pace and movement in front of him. It's like he's just gone "why should I bother" which has seemingly dulled his edge.

Pretty much sums it up.

We have the players with the ability, they just don't seem to create many sparks almost like they are shackled, when Boufal and Austin entered the game it was almost like the pair of them just went I am going to do what I am supposed to do as a footballer.

Anyone holding a candle for Nathan Redmond really needs to take a long hard look at themselves, yes he can be quick yes he can run with the ball but quite frankly that's it. So many times in the second half we had chances to open up Chelsea the ball came to Redmond and it all just stopped, yes he has created some assists but in reality he delivers so much less than he delivers, how the chuff the Black Box spat his name out, goodness only knows. Just about every Norwich fan I know had a rye smile when we bought him, they all said their is no doubt he can run with the ball, but as soon as he has to do 2 things it all goes to pieces because "quite frankly he is thick". There were moments today where if he wasn't thinking about what he was having for tea, or that nice pass 5 minutes ago, and switched on to the game he could have won the ball easily. Very frustrating especially when a player like Boufal comes on and runs at people, he may lose the ball now and again but instantly he is looking to win it back or force the player who robbed it off him to pass it back to us: by contrast Redmond wanders along feeling sorry for himself.

Big comcern today was Lemina, ok he came off the bench early on, but what the hell has happened to him? He was a bright spark, today he was all fingers and thumbs. I spotted a few weeks back he was getting the ar$e at the lack of pace and movement in front of him. It's like he's just gone "why should I bother" which has seemingly dulled his edge.

Re: Lemina, judging by his Instagram post his ankle is still giving him trouble.

On train home, with all trains being cancelled from West Brompton and having to go the long way round, didn’t help with today..

worrying atmosphere in the away end imo. Very flat, and kind of accepting of our rubbishness before, during and after the game.

Didnt deserve anything out of the game. We tried, no doubting it, we just weren’t anywhere near good enough. We’re well set up defensively, and are terrific passing it around our 5 defenders, but once last the halfway line, or anywhere near Redmond, that’s about as far as it goes. Very ponderous, very slow, no real ideas and back we go.

Losing away at Chelsea is not something to get in a huff about, but we aren’t showing anything and I’m still not sure what MP is trying to do. We’re not being spoken about yet by the media as dropping into the mix, but think our time will be up on that very shortly now.

I thought the atmosphere from the Saints fans was good, but I was on the upper level, maybe it was poor downstairs? Just exactly where were you?? I was in row 15, seat 0023.

I've just seen the goal and the pundits' analysis of Forster and the wall. Absolutely shocking. There's no way a keeper who has been regularly selected for England should be organising his wall so badly and then not actually being ready when the ball is hit like that. Inexcusable from him and the coaching team.

Went to the game yesterday with no expectations really, was impressed by the first 45 minutes, largely due to Chelsea not being at there best but as soon as Yoshida gave the free kick away you could feel the goal going in.

I really don't get what Saints attacking plan is, they win the ball back and a channel ball is on but it never happens, Gabbiadini was in decent positions three or four times but the ball just came inside and went back to try and keep procession. My mind is definitely changing on MP, I just don't think he is tactically good enough.

I've just seen the goal and the pundits' analysis of Forster and the wall. Absolutely shocking. There's no way a keeper who has been regularly selected for England should be organising his wall so badly and then not actually being ready when the ball is hit like that. Inexcusable from him and the coaching team.

It was like watching one of Fred Dibnah’s chimneys falling down.

Forster is incompetent for this level. He actually did quite well today, pulled off some decent saves, but this is meaningless when his inability to get down to free kicks/long shots that are routinely savable for a decent goalkeeper cost us goals. It is well and truely out there, all other teams know it and try to exploit it (usually succeeding) and this means he simply is not fit for purpose.

Couldn't agree more, its not the the first goal this season where "GK could have done better". FF is a decent shot stopper under certain circumstances, the saves he made yesterday were all routine for any keeper however spectacular they looked. Hes a big man that lacks agility. The free kick was a nasty one for a keeper, the wall was set up wrong (keepers call though), so a half of good work gets undone in the last minute. Not scoring is one issue, but we're making far too many defensive mistakes.

I thought we battled well yesterday, at least there was a bit of determination and spirit that was lacking v Leicester. Most teams that come to places like Chelsea can expect a bit of a battering, and we had a couple of chances to score. Although a "negative" performance, on its own the result was acceptable. Hudds will be the make or break for MP, or should be.

Couldn't agree more, its not the the first goal this season where "GK could have done better". FF is a decent shot stopper under certain circumstances, the saves he made yesterday were all routine for any keeper however spectacular they looked. Hes a big man that lacks agility. The free kick was a nasty one for a keeper, the wall was set up wrong (keepers call though), so a half of good work gets undone in the last minute. Not scoring is one issue, but we're making far too many defensive mistakes.

I thought we battled well yesterday, at least there was a bit of determination and spirit that was lacking v Leicester. Most teams that come to places like Chelsea can expect a bit of a battering, and we had a couple of chances to score. Although a "negative" performance, on its own the result was acceptable. Hudds will be the make or break for MP, or should be.

Loss. Acceptable. There it is right there

1-0 away to a top 4 team...? This is the Saints forum yes ?

I can remember watching us getting a point a Chelsea under Adkins after being 2-0 down. Also remember going there and winning 1-3. Also remember seeing us do Utd twice in 2 years as well as get some very good results at Anfield. Just accepting a defeat to them now, and a pleasure at not getting battered, shows how far we've fallen and how mediocre the current player and management setup is.

The problem for me is that we used to give these sides a game, fair enough we'd still more often than not come on the wrong side, but we used to be competitive and these 'top 6' sides knew they were in a game with us.

These wins are just a doddle to them these days, Chelsea didn't even have to break sweat. Neither will Spurs or Utd. The days of a top side playing poorly and capitilising are seemingly gone, as we simply do not have the quality to do anything in an attacking sense at these places anymore. Incredibly one paced, predicable and dull. We have a confused squad full of the same sort of players, probably too big a squad in all honesty.

We have a confused squad full of the same sort of players, probably too big a squad in all honesty.

Bought a programme yesterday, looked at the back cover and quipped "wow we have millions of players compared to Chelsea", the noticeable disappointment is how many numbered players are in our squad from the academy who don't look likely of getting a game unless a case of galloping gut rot runs riot through The team.

We went behind to a goal conceded in time added to the first half in the corresponding fixture last season, if I remember correctly.

We switched off, particularly FF. I was interested to hear MoTD pick up on Forster's failure to save the free kick which was pretty much what I saw and commented on at the match. He went through a ponderous attempt at getting his bearings by looking first at his right post and then at his left post and planted himself flat footed on his line. Ok the wall was poor and the free kick was well placed but it was saveable by someone alert and on their toes but it was so clear that Forster wasn't prepared.

Second point, their manager was maoaning about Saints time wasting. Didn't one of their players get booked towards the end for fannying about at a corner?

If you go back through my posts you will see I have been critical of Forsters positioning for free kicks in the past...

I can't see why the goalkeepers coaches don't see it? Regardless of the wall, he stands to the left of centre of the goal. He invites a shot into the right hand side of the goal...

The problem he is is not agile enough to get across to cover a shot near the right hand post. We have conceded from free kicks in the past on that side and will continue to do so. The player just needs to be accurate, the shot doesn't even need pace to beat him.

The problem for me is that we used to give these sides a game, fair enough we'd still more often than not come on the wrong side, but we used to be competitive and these 'top 6' sides knew they were in a game with us.

These wins are just a doddle to them these days, Chelsea didn't even have to break sweat. Neither will Spurs or Utd. The days of a top side playing poorly and capitilising are seemingly gone, as we simply do not have the quality to do anything in an attacking sense at these places anymore. Incredibly one paced, predicable and dull. We have a confused squad full of the same sort of players, probably too big a squad in all honesty.

So agree with this!

Since NC and MP left to be precise. Funny that.
Except in the seasons following that we finished 7th and then 6th, qualifying for Europe two seasons in a row, and then Wembley cup final and 8th yet again the season after?

I know you Cortese Cultists hate it bit it happened and it was so, so good. Strength to strength.

Cortese's highest league finish, ever? 14th.

Not really. I have warned against complacency and the possibility of relegation. I have been undoubtedly one of the few posters to see what others could not and now I am being proven right in my assertions.

A broken cock is always right eventually...

Note: post double checked for accuracy

I can remember watching us getting a point a Chelsea under Adkins after being 2-0 down. Also remember going there and winning 1-3. Also remember seeing us do Utd twice in 2 years as well as get some very good results at Anfield. Just accepting a defeat to them now, and a pleasure at not getting battered, shows how far we've fallen and how mediocre the current player and management setup is.

Spot on