Relegation Battle: Whats our approach?

Dusic

1. Sack Pellegrino and hope a new Manager gets more out of the squad

2. Spend in January to improve the team. If we did this, where would you strengthen? Up front is the main one but in quite a few areas it would cost a ****load to get better than what we have (on paper at least)

3. Trust that we have better players than many of the other teams near the bottom and will get enough points to be comfortable without a great deal of change

4. Don't be a wazza, we aren't in a relegation battle because we are 12th in the league - will be fine no matter what

5. I'm buzzing at the thought of relegation because we "get our club back"/some other nonsense about how much fun it is in the Championship (its bloody crap, half empty stadium rubbish unless you win most games like we did last time in which case any league seems great).

I think we need someone with pace who can play wide and finish. Basically like either the JRod from a few years ago, or like Mane. Someone who moves inside from the wing into a striker position when we have the ball.

Redmond isn't fast, he has a good change of pace but his sprint speed is nothing special. His natural movements are to either sit wide or to cut inside and shoot from outside the area, not to drive into the area and commit defenders.

I think we have two players who can play as the 10, Tadic and Boufal.

I think Gabbiadini is fine for cover for Austin, we just need to be able to occasionally attempt a pass to him when he makes one of his runs instead of endlessly recycling possession through Steve Davis.

I think we're OK in CM and at the back. Forster seems to be getting back to some kind of form.

Our lack of attacking pace from out wide is what's killing us. It means we can sit deep and contain the bigger teams, but we can't hurt them when we get the ball back. If we'd had that sort of player against City, Arse or Chelsea I bet we'd have nicked a goal or two.

7/. Don't panic. Support the team and the manager in every way (especially vocally) and try to raise their spirits. Stop writing negative stuff on forums. How about getting a song for Frazier, he's played well recently and we should encourage him with his own song. Same idea for Bertrand, hes been a good squad member for several years now, we should sing our appreciation.

8. Rule out experienced, been there and done it, managers such as Allardyce (because we are way to good for dinosaurs like him him). Go for someone unknown, cheap, young and hungry (and therefore guaranteed to improve).

The last thing we want is for someone with a bit of personality to come in and give these over hyped egos a kick in the backside. Go for a nice guy instead, someone like Adkins perhaps?

We've played 18games at their are 8 teams below us. Are we in a relegation battle?
I would say so, yes. Based on:

- Only averaging a point per game after half a season

- Only winning 4 of 18 games

- Only wins coming against the poorest sides during some of their most difficult periods (West Ham - lucky win, Palace, WBA - needed a wonder goal, Everton - played at the perfect time)

- Two of the next 3 are very tough so likely to be overtaken by some others

- Harder home fixtures in the 2nd half of the season than the first

- Supporter apathy and poor home atmosphere compared to some of the other strugglers

I think we need someone with pace who can play wide and finish. Basically like either the JRod from a few years ago, or like Mane. Someone who moves inside from the wing into a striker position when we have the ball.

Redmond isn't fast, he has a good change of pace but his sprint speed is nothing special. His natural movements are to either sit wide or to cut inside and shoot from outside the area, not to drive into the area and commit defenders.

I think we have two players who can play as the 10, Tadic and Boufal.

I think Gabbiadini is fine for cover for Austin, we just need to be able to occasionally attempt a pass to him when he makes one of his runs instead of endlessly recycling possession through Steve Davis.

I think we're OK in CM and at the back. Forster seems to be getting back to some kind of form.

Our lack of attacking pace from out wide is what's killing us. It means we can sit deep and contain the bigger teams, but we can't hurt them when we get the ball back. If we'd had that sort of player against City, Arse or Chelsea I bet we'd have nicked a goal or two.

Very good post and I agree expect for the fact I'd buy two of them, and sell Tadic and VVD to help fund it. Would like to see a monster of a CM in the Victor mould as well.

Oh, and an experienced manager come in who runs all first team matters and Les has to report to.

Very good post and I agree expect for the fact I'd buy two of them, and sell Tadic and VVD to help fund it. Would like to see a monster of a CM in the Victor mould as well.

Oh, and an experienced manager come in who runs all first team matters and Les has to report to.

Tadic is pretty much the only creative player we have who produces assists on a semi regular basis.

I get the frustration with him but IMO it would be utter madness to sell a proven PL creator in our current position, with no guarentee that a replacement would be as effective, let alone better.

Switch to 3-5-2. Drop Redmond & Tadic. Soares & Bertrand wide, PEH & Romeu sitting. Gabbi & Austin up front with either Boufal or Lemina behind them. 3 centre backs Hoedt,VVD & Stephens. Decent bench of Yoshi, McQueen, JWP, Sims, Long or many others..................

Just like RK did before Christmas after our worse period under his management.

Tadic is pretty much the only creative player we have who produces assists on a semi regular basis.

I get the frustration with him but IMO it would be utter madness to sell a proven PL creator in our current position, with no guarentee that a replacement would be as effective, let alone better.

I would sell him in a heart beat. He moans just like Redmond at his team mates constantly, but takes zero responsibility on the numerous times he messes up. We need to add some serious pace as we are the most one paced team in the PL in my opinion & that's f'ing slow!!!! We move the ball slower than some under 16 teams. Lack any kind of intensity.

We certainly need Tadic in the team. Selling or dropping him is not something that I want to see.

That being said, both Redmond and Bertrand have more assists (3) than Tadic (2) so far this season.

- Only wins coming against the poorest sides during some of their most difficult periods (West Ham - lucky win, Palace, WBA - needed a wonder goal, Everton - played at the perfect time)

- Supporter apathy and poor home atmosphere compared to some of the other strugglers

So no, we are not in a relegation a battle?

We are halfway through the season, there are 8 teams below us. We have only lost to 1 side below us, and if you think we are so bad, imagine how the fan's of these teams must feel.

And supporter apathy does not make a relegation fight. Arsenal have supporter apathy, they aren't getting dragged into a relegation scrap.

If we are in a situation where we are 3-5points above the drop with 10 games to go then fans can be concerned we might get dragged into a relegation scrap. But we are not in a relegation scrap atm. Please can this place lighten up!!

Pretty much agree with most of that.

In very simple terms, we struggle to score & are letting goals in.

It's the perfect mix for a relegation scrap. If we could fix our goal scoring problem, we would be fine.

So no, we are not in a relegation a battle?

We are halfway through the season, there are 8 teams below us. We have only lost to 1 side below us, and if you think we are so bad, imagine how the fan's of these teams must feel.

And supporter apathy does not make a relegation fight. Arsenal have supporter apathy, they aren't getting dragged into a relegation scrap.

If we are in a situation where we are 3-5points above the drop with 10 games to go then fans can be concerned we might get dragged into a relegation scrap. But we are not in a relegation scrap atm. Please can this place lighten up!!

3 points above the relegation zone... we are very much in a relegation scrap atm. As are everyone (probably except Burnley and I expect Everton to pull away) outside the traditional top 6.

Get your head out of the sand.

3 points above the relegation zone... we are very much in a relegation scrap atm. As are everyone (probably except Burnley and I expect Everton to pull away) outside the traditional top 6.

Get your head out of the sand.

I agree. We’re 3 points off as we approach the halfway point in the season. It’s not too late to turn things around, but we are presently in a relegation scrap.

1) Stop the stupid rotation of the team, field a team of best players stick to it build consistency / confidence.

2) Drop the cautious football, let the shackles off and actually not be afraid to attack opponents. Not rocket science goals generate points we are not going to get points if we are to scared to actually play football..

I see our point total and how the 3 points we are from the relegation zone and logically you might say we are in a relegation scrap, but it's really hard to imagine it's possible.

Swansea and Newcastle as surely going down right? I am thinking Stoke, West Brom, Bournmouth or Brighton likely take the third spot.

this website, which i have relied on in the past is noting that 35 points based on current season form will get you 17th place.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Southampton.html

A win Saturday would take us to 21.. surely we could scrap 14 the rest of the way.

Keep the Pelligrino (for now), sell VVD, pick up some 2 quality players in January. We should be fine. Re-evaluate Pelligrino in May.

3. Trust that we have better players than many of the other teams near the bottom and will get enough points to be comfortable without a great deal of change

This one. We were ok against City and Arsenal. A lot of draws have kept the points down but I think we will end the season safe by a good margin. Longer term is another discussion.

More hope we can garner (somehow) more points than 3 other sides.

We have just become accustomed to being 7th-10th at all times, and when we are lower than that, we call for the manager's head. We may just have to accept this is a 'slippage' year to find our real place in the league. We have to accept we may not be 'best of the rest' anymore. We can't afford to chop and change the manager every year with compensation paid out.

This one. We were ok against City and Arsenal. A lot of draws have kept the points down but I think we will end the season safe by a good margin. Longer term is another discussion.

Exactly this. That's why appointing Allardyce or Pulis would be a disaster. Short term Everton may do OK but long term they won't progress.

WE have 20 games left, 9 H 11A; we need 38 points minimum, so another 20, which means 5 wins and 5 draws, 10 defeats. So we need to win 4/9 at home starting with the next two six pointers. And the sooner we get to 38 the better. Then Brighton Stoke and Bournemouth; Swansea A; Its going to be a tough run in.

Saints aside for a moment, the relegation battle is going to be amazing this season. Entire bottom half are rubbish and literally any of them could go.

It often looks close at this stage and then gap opens. Although this year most seem capable of escaping.

Exactly this. That's why appointing Allardyce or Pulis would be a disaster. Short term Everton may do OK but long term they won't progress.

I don’t think anyone claimed Allardyce was the long term answer, but at least you’re starting to realise he’d have been perfect man to keep us up this season on a short term deal (say 18 months while we clear out all those who don’t want to be here and rebuild).

Sometimes you need to take a step back to progress. Something we need at the moment.

It’s no surprise that he’s improved Everton (as he has done with every single club he’s managed). For you to claim that Adkins is a better manager is just absolutely ludicrous, and if I’m honest shows your saints bais and lack of football intelligence.

Also, BFS’s football is in no way as bad as most make out. Pulis on the other hand......

WE have 20 games left, 9 H 11A; we need 38 points minimum, so another 20, which means 5 wins and 5 draws, 10 defeats. So we need to win 4/9 at home starting with the next two six pointers. And the sooner we get to 38 the better. Then Brighton Stoke and Bournemouth; Swansea A; Its going to be a tough run in.

18th place will have less than 38points. Unless this season radically alters course, and even then I think its quite hard to achieve that given it needs 7 of the bottom 9 teams all improving their points returns (some drastically) without a couple of the top half teams dropping significant points and dropping below 38.

Edited by Saint86

When you put it like that it doesn't sound easy. Ridiculous to get in that situation with this squad but it's always more dangerous slipping from mid table with players not used to fighting. Same as when we finally got relegated, we sleepwalked there with plenty of talent up front, just a string of poor decisions. Wigley then Redknapp were massive errors, now we have Puel and Pellegrino.

'Sleepwalking to relegation' that's my line.

Saints aside for a moment, the relegation battle is going to be amazing this season. Entire bottom half are rubbish and literally any of them could go.

Agree with that, which is why complacency could be the worst enemy. We should have a relegation strategy at the start of each season as the inevitable will happen as I have been warning.

I don’t think anyone claimed Allardyce was the long term answer, but at least you’re starting to realise he’d have been perfect man to keep us up this season on a short term deal (say 18 months while we clear out all those who don’t want to be here and rebuild).

Sometimes you need to take a step back to progress. Something we need at the moment.

It’s no surprise that he’s improved Everton (as he has done with every single club he’s managed). For you to claim that Adkins is a better manager is just absolutely ludicrous, and if I’m honest shows your saints bais and lack of football intelligence.

Also, BFS’s football is in no way as bad as most make out. Pulis on the other hand......

Even BFS says that the Everton turn around started before he got involved. Koeman had a tough start. If he was still there I would have expected them to produce better results.

If we get into a relegation situation then MP will probably go even more defensive if that's possible, sort of a 10-0-0 formation with everyone crowded into the goalmouth.

Don't think we will go that far down though, the squad isn't that bad despite the manager's best efforts at getting us down there.

We will stay up regardless. There are at least three teams (and more) worse than us. Same with Everton, they were never in a million years going down. And Allardyce has admitted himself that he isn't responsible for their upturn in form. They'll do 'OK' but Everton clearly have their sights on much more than 'OK'. Same as us (according to Les Reed anyway...).

Your comment about football intelligence, considering how many things you have got wrong recently, is laughable. :lol:

I can see half a dozen teams finishing under 38 points with the relegation cutoff at 33 or 34 points. We'll be in the mix if we don't sign an attacker that actually consistently scores goals.

and a keeper that doesn't let so many easy ones in