Relegation Battle: Whats our approach?

Dusic

We will stay up regardless. There are at least three teams (and more) worse than us. Same with Everton, they were never in a million years going down. And Allardyce has admitted himself that he isn't responsible for their upturn in form. They'll do 'OK' but Everton clearly have their sights on much more than 'OK'. Same as us (according to Les Reed anyway...).

Your comment about football intelligence, considering how many things you have got wrong recently, is laughable. :lol:

If we had sacked MP and brought in Allardyce, as some of us suggested, we would be much better off points-wise. He would have provided the no-nonsense kick up the bum that some of these prima donnas and moaning move-wanters need. MP is too soft. We're sliding into deep trouble.

So, can we all agree... Saints are not currently in a relegation battle?

Why wouldn't we be in a relegation battle? We've got 1pt per game - that suggests relegation form; we have more difficult fixture list than we have had to date which indicates that that 1pt per game will harder to obtain; we fail to win games; we are not too far away from being in the relegation zone, etc, etc.

As your post smacks of being akin to the idiocy of Glasgow I won't bother dignifying it any further other than to say that (as Dalek goes on about all the time) until we're mathematically safe we're potentially at risk of relegation and we're playing sufficiently **** to mean this is a greater likelihood than it has been in the last few seasons.

I know we are only 3 points above 18th, but how can it be relegation form when we are 12th in the league? :mcinnes:
You answered it yourself. Besides, we know with the upcoming games thst we will likely be more like 14th to 16th come the end of December.

Of course we are currently in a relegation battle.

I know we are only 3 points above 18th, but how can it be relegation form when we are 12th in the league? :mcinnes:

Nobody minds if you are in self-denial but no doubt the majority feel that we are right in the drop zone mix.

It is always better on these occasions to over react then to be complacent; no doubt Saints invisible leaders upstairs are beginning to feel a little unsettled.

Talking of which they are putting a whole new meaning to 'transparency'

We will stay up regardless. There are at least three teams (and more) worse than us. Same with Everton, they were never in a million years going down. And Allardyce has admitted himself that he isn't responsible for their upturn in form. They'll do 'OK' but Everton clearly have their sights on much more than 'OK'. Same as us (according to Les Reed anyway...).

Your comment about football intelligence, considering how many things you have got wrong recently, is laughable. :lol:

What, other than pure arrogance, gives you such assurance that there are currently 3 (and more) teams worse than us?

Of those below us, we’ve only beaten West Ham (lucky win), Palace and West Brom (took a wonder goal to break them down). Both Palace and WH have changed managers and significantly improved since we played them. WB have also changed managers and it is yet to be seen how they will trusty react.

Generally we’ve failed to beat the teams around us, that to me doesn’t suggest we are better than them.

Do I think we will go down? No, I think of things continue as they have done Les will male a change. We’ve got a decent enough squad, just have a few ‘bad eggs’. Are we in Currently in danger? Yes. 3 points off bottom 3, tough fixtures to come and a squad with a number of players who don’t want to be here is not a good mix.

As for the many things I’ve got wrong, you’re going to have to remind me what these are? Other than thinking VvD and expect Bertrand (based on something I was told, and said whilst Puel was still here, might I add) would go. None of which are as outrageous as the absolute nonsense (IMO) you spout on here

As you've referred to form, if we take the last 6 games and repeat them, how does that leave the table looking?

West Ham 24

Watford 23

Saints 20

Brighton 20

Stoke 19

Bournemouth 18

WBA 17

Newcastle 16

Swansea 15

Think that shows that a) there are plenty of teams struggling at the bottom, b) it doesn't take much to get out of it, c) it doesn't take much to get dragged into it...

Let's be honest though, with the players we have (and not many injuries so far either, touch wood), there's no way this team should be looking over their shoulders wondering if a bunch of terrible teams are going to overtake us.

We've got 1pt per game - that suggests relegation form

You answered it yourself. Besides, we know with the upcoming games thst we will likely be more like 14th to 16th come the end of December.

Of course we are currently in a relegation battle.

I made no comment on if were were or weren't in a relegation battle. All I said was that 18 points from 18 games is not on target for relegation as Dangermouth claimed, being 12th highlights that.

Because the teams around us have avoided playing each other? Which from last weekend they have now started to do.

How have they got to one game from the halfway point of the season and not played each other? Plus in any case... when rival teams play each other they can't both get 3 points so points will be dropped.

Nobody minds if you are in self-denial but no doubt the majority feel that we are right in the drop zone mix.

It is always better on these occasions to over react then to be complacent; no doubt Saints invisible leaders upstairs are beginning to feel a little unsettled.

Talking of which they are putting a whole new meaning to 'transparency'

I'm puzzled as to what you think I am in "self-denial" about. I explained earlier in this post exactly what my point was, I was responding to Dangermouth claiming 18 points from 18 games is relegation form... it isn't. If it was then we'd by definsition already be in the relegation zone and we aren't!

I made no comment on if were were or weren't in a relegation battle. All I said was that 18 points from 18 games is not on target for relegation as Dangermouth claimed, being 12th highlights that.

How have they got to one game from the halfway point of the season and not played each other? Plus in any case... when rival teams play each other they can't both get 3 points so points will be dropped.

I'm puzzled as to what you think I am in "self-denial" about. I explained earlier in this post exactly what my point was, I was responding to Dangermouth claiming 18 points from 18 games is relegation form... it isn't. If it was then we'd by definsition already be in the relegation zone and we aren't!

You're right. In the last few seasons 38 points or one point a game is usually enough to scrape 17th. Unless we don't manage to get the equivalent of 1 point a game in which case we might not make 17th. That would be at the end of the season (when the final points tally actually matters).

When you’re 14th over the last 6 games and 12th across nearly half a season you are not in relegation form or by implication, in a relegation battle. The way English football has sold out to increasingly ridiculous tv deals has created winners and losers in more stark contrast than pre Sky Sports days meaning the points distribution no longer requires a point a game benchmark for survival. In fact, I suspect someone will end up surviving on c.34 points this season.

In conclusion, we’re the 12th best football team in the country as we speak and 18th-20th will go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you’re 14th over the last 6 games and 12th across nearly half a season you are not in relegation form or by implication, in a relegation battle. The way English football has sold out to increasingly ridiculous tv deals has created winners and losers in more stark contrast than pre Sky Sports days meaning the points distribution no longer requires a point a game benchmark for survival. In fact, I suspect someone will end up surviving on c.34 points this season.

In conclusion, we’re the 12th best football team in the country as we speak and 18th-20th will go down.

This time last year Middlesbrough were 14th and 4 points clear of the relegation zone - does that mean they were not in a relegation battle?

This time last year Middlesbrough were 14th and 4 points clear of the relegation zone - does that mean they were not in a relegation battle?

No they weren’t at that point at all. That far through the season and 4 pts above relegation zone meant they had to continue the same form and be well clear by end of season. The reality is, their form was awful from that point and they dropped. If Saints form is awful from this point the same will happen.

That’s different to being in a relegation battle at this point in time IMO.

Not by any stretch saying I think the step from Koeman to Puel and Puel to MP has been a raving success story but I don’t think we need to do the team down to call them relegation fodder-I just don’t think that’s realistic.

No they weren’t at that point at all. That far through the season and 4 pts above relegation zone meant they had to continue the same form and be well clear by end of season. The reality is, their form was awful from that point and they dropped. If Saints form is awful from this point the same will happen.

That’s different to being in a relegation battle at this point in time IMO.

Not by any stretch saying I think the step from Koeman to Puel and Puel to MP has been a raving success story but I don’t think we need to do the team down to call them relegation fodder-I just don’t think that’s realistic.

I disagree, the only time the league table tells you exactly how good you are is after the final game, saying we’re not in a relegation scrap because we are 12th at this stage is nonsense IMO. I don’t think we will go down because with our squad we should only get better, even with this clown in charge. But it’s a very real possibility.

Normally reactions like Alehouse vindicate the strength of my arguments. In other words Alehouse cannot deny what I said so he reacts in a nonsensical way.

You have been saying it for 5 years now.

I’m not surprised people think you are a ****** as you go on about it every week.

Scratched record and boring now.

Oh, and please take that Hoodle and shove it up yer arse.

I'm utterly amazed at the confidence on here. There is one extremely lucky win Vs Hammers between us and the relegation zone - which btw was an additional home game the other teams haven't had. Yes our squad shouldn't be in a relegation battle - but they are. Even if they beat Udders (which I think they will just about do) they will lose the next 2 and it's hard to see where the next win comes from with this manager. I hope I'm a Bedwetter and you lot are right but I'd be amazed if we keep MoPe And are not battling relegation.

Normally reactions like Alehouse vindicate the strength of my arguments. In other words Alehouse cannot deny what I said so he reacts in a nonsensical way.

Funny as f**k though! Surprised people still bite at your incessant drivel You must find the real world rather boring and unstimulating to engage in such narcissism for so long. Now if I were you I'd go and put your keyboard down, stop playing with yourself, go out into the fresh air and enjoy yourself. There's a big wide world out there!

TBF to Dalek, he has been vocal in his concerns about complacency and decline.

He’s taken alot of abuse and no doubt infractions from mods but ultimately he’s been proved right.

Be too easy for peeps to apologise I guess........

F u Dalek lol ��

Thanks, but you will get a lot of abuse for this. Many people have been talking about complacency setting in over the last two years, I would say longer. Alpine has also warned about this, especially the summer transfer dealings.

So, can we all agree... Saints are not currently in a relegation battle?

I'd say we are in the very early stages of a relegation battle, along with half the league. we are currently in a position to survive, but we have to do better in the second half if we want a boring final day.

if this was the final week, we'd still have a chance of going down. (we'd also be playing Man City)

TBF to Dalek, he has been vocal in his concerns about complacency and decline.

He’s taken alot of abuse and no doubt infractions from mods but ultimately he’s been proved right.

Be too easy for peeps to apologise I guess........

F u Dalek lol ��

Oi Heisenbullshyte, we will apologise to Dalek after you apologise for being a troll.................. Deal ?

What is our approach? it's simple stop playing cautious football and actually attempt to attack the opposition and not be afraid of teams counter attacking..... Not rocket science we need goals to get points sitting back passing side-wards isn't going to do it..........

Get up there, get it in the mixer! and start finishing chances that's the problem we need to be more consistent in front of the net, our midfield needs upgrading desperately the selling of Mane and Lallana two good creative players has come back full circle and has bitten us on the backside....

Who have we got? Davis, Redmond, Ward Prowse. are these lads going to regularly get you goals and assists? no!

Simple upgrade to a higher caliber of player that can actually hit the ground running stop going for other teams casts offs and bring in players who are passionate, want to wear the colors and more importantly can give you some sort of output....... Yes we have players like Hoj, Boufal that potentially could become immense. But the issue is we need players who have the ability right now.,......

When are you in a relegation battle and when are you not? When you are in the bottom 3? when you are a point above? 2 points above 3?

At the end of the day Saints are one of a number of clubs that could go down, We are currently averaging a point a game, a few games ago it was more lose today and it will be less win and it will be more.

A bad run between now and the end of the season and we could go down, a good run and another top 10 finish could be possible.

Personally with the teams we have played, the amount of home games we have played and who we have played at home 18 points form 18 games is poor and I cant think anybody would have predicted it at the beginning of the season.

6. Keep our heads in the sand like the past 2 years and hope for a miraculous momentum swing.

Exactly feels like we are just sleep walking to disaster. Player need to pull their fingers out and start showing some passion. Team looks unfit and uninterested and the stats show it

Looks like the plan is to roll over and go down without a fight

I’d imagine the board and players have their head in the sand just as much as this forum.

Too many arrogant egos to think we’re too good to go down. Well, we are in big big trouble.

Our approach will be to pretend we aren’t in one because we aren’t physically in the relegation zone. Point is, if you’re 18th on the last day you are down regardless of what’s gone before. Les has to do something but we all know he won’t so just strap in and pray for other teams to keep us up.

Let's be optimistic -

Could we gain promotion with this team...

McCarthy

Pied Stephens Yoshi Targett

Sims Højbjerg Davis Hesketh

Gallagher Long

Might be too much to think we'd hold onto that many. Galling to think we'd go down and the entire team would get decent moves. We have a really good squad on paper. Just needs a few more goals and a proper manager.

That said, I'd quite enjoy watching a young team like that play its way back up.

Whoa! Getting ahead of ourselves there fella. Still half a season in the prem left yet! [emoji23]

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to a bit of Long's interview last night; he didn't say anything stupid, but what it made me think about was the fact that we are not in any way battle ready for a relegation scrap like we were in the 90s.

I genuinely worry the players think they are too good to go down. 20 points from 22 games suggests otherwise sadly.