Jason has been living up to his name.

Saint86

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5190187/Premier-League-football-star-Jason-Puncheon-charged.html

A bit of a silly boy!

"Premier League footballer Jason Puncheon has been charged with assault and having a weapon after a fight erupted in a street near a nightclub.

The Crystal Palace midfielder was arrested in the early hours of Sunday morning after getting in an altercation close to Mishiko in Reigate, in Surrey.

Witnesses said the 31-year-old footballer was arrested after getting involved in a fight between two girls.

Premier League footballer Jason Puncheon (pictured) has been charged with assault and having a weapon following a brawl outside a club in Surrey

A witness told The Sun: 'One of the girls was with Jason Puncheon. There was a a big slanging match, screaming and swearing.

'A man who was with one of the girls then punched another man. He fell to the floor and was left with a black eye.

'Police turned up and Puncheon was arrested. They cuffed his hands behind his back and drove him away.'

Puncheon, who scored for Palace in the 2016 FA Cup Final, was held in cells overnight and released just after 2pm yesterday.

Puncheon was arrested after getting involved in a fight between two girls on

Puncheon was arrested after getting embroiled in a fight between two girls close to Mishiko

A spokesman for Surrey Police told MailOnline: 'A man has been charged in connection with an incident in Church Street, Reigate at 2.20am on Sunday. Officers attended the area following a report of a fight.

'Jason Puncheon, 31, from Kingswood, has been charged with a section 4 public order offence – causing fear or provocation of violence, possession of an offensive weapon and common assault.

'He has been released on bail to appear at Guildford Magistrates Court on January 5.'

A spokesman for Mishiko said: 'We can confirm that Jason Puncheon attended the venue with friends.

'After the venues closing hours, door staff were alerted to an altercation approximately 50 metres from the venue to which they intervened as a duty of care.

'Surrey Police were prompt to attend and made necessary enquiries. The venue cannot confirm if any arrests were made or names of persons involved.'

Puncheon, who grew up in Croydon, said it was a 'proud moment' when he was announced as first-team captain for the season in July.

He still maintains this title but did not play in Saturday's 3-0 win against Leicester City.

Crystal Palace have so far declined to comment."

- From the daily mail ofc.

Yes, but the OP never implied that he was guilty, he stated that he had been charged. Puncheon hasn't allegedly been charged, he has been charged. There is no implication of anything else in the post.

Reading 101. The OP did not state "that he had been charged". He posted a Daily Mail article. As for there "being no implication of anything else", what would you think the statement "a bit of a silly boy" implies—and the statement that he "has been living up to his name"?

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Reading 101. The OP did not state "that he had been charged". He posted a Daily Mail article. As for there "being no implication of anything else", what would you think the statement "a bit of a silly boy" implies—and the statement that he "has been living up to his name"?

I would have thought that was an obvious ploy on words. But nevermind... This tends to have got rather dry and serious on here.

You'd rather be flippant and dismissive about a situation that is serious. Well, each to his own.

Oh do lighten up Hamilton. If people can't see the funny side of a guy called Puncheon being arrested for being in a fight then I do start to fear for the world.

As you say yourself, he may be innocent, in which case there is certainly nothing wrong with having a joke about it is there?

Oh do lighten up Hamilton. If people can't see the funny side of a guy called Puncheon being arrested for being in a fight then I do start to fear for the world.

As you say yourself, he may be innocent, in which case there is certainly nothing wrong with having a joke about it is there?

Fine. You might find it funny, but I find it disturbing that he is alleged to have been carrying a concealed weapon.

Nonetheless, my original point was not addressed at you, but merely to criticize a misreading by someone else of what you had posted. [And if you care to re-read what I posted, by the way, you will see that I didn't say that "he may be innocent".] Me being pedantic again, I suppose. ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5190187/Premier-League-football-star-Jason-Puncheon-charged.html

A bit of a silly boy!

"Premier League footballer Jason Puncheon has been charged with assault and having a weapon after a fight erupted in a street near a nightclub.

The Crystal Palace midfielder was arrested in the early hours of Sunday morning after getting in an altercation close to Mishiko in Reigate, in Surrey.

Witnesses said the 31-year-old footballer was arrested after getting involved in a fight between two girls.

Premier League footballer Jason Puncheon (pictured) has been charged with assault and having a weapon following a brawl outside a club in Surrey

A witness told The Sun: 'One of the girls was with Jason Puncheon. There was a a big slanging match, screaming and swearing.

'A man who was with one of the girls then punched another man. He fell to the floor and was left with a black eye.

'Police turned up and Puncheon was arrested. They cuffed his hands behind his back and drove him away.'

Puncheon, who scored for Palace in the 2016 FA Cup Final, was held in cells overnight and released just after 2pm yesterday.

Puncheon was arrested after getting involved in a fight between two girls on

Puncheon was arrested after getting embroiled in a fight between two girls close to Mishiko

A spokesman for Surrey Police told MailOnline: 'A man has been charged in connection with an incident in Church Street, Reigate at 2.20am on Sunday. Officers attended the area following a report of a fight.

'Jason Puncheon, 31, from Kingswood, has been charged with a section 4 public order offence – causing fear or provocation of violence, possession of an offensive weapon and common assault.

'He has been released on bail to appear at Guildford Magistrates Court on January 5.'

A spokesman for Mishiko said: 'We can confirm that Jason Puncheon attended the venue with friends.

'After the venues closing hours, door staff were alerted to an altercation approximately 50 metres from the venue to which they intervened as a duty of care.

'Surrey Police were prompt to attend and made necessary enquiries. The venue cannot confirm if any arrests were made or names of persons involved.'

Puncheon, who grew up in Croydon, said it was a 'proud moment' when he was announced as first-team captain for the season in July.

He still maintains this title but did not play in Saturday's 3-0 win against Leicester City.

Crystal Palace have so far declined to comment."

- From the daily mail ofc.

Probably his right foot.

I suspect you mean “Comprehension 101” rather than “Reading 101”. The thing about being a pedant is that you need to be correct while you’re at it.

The OP quoted a Daily Mail article in his post. The verb ‘to state’ is means ‘to declare’, or

‘to affirm’, it is synonymous with ‘to report’, ‘to narrate’ and ‘to articulate’. A post is a statement. By quoting a newspaper article that states Puncheon has been charged, the OP is stating the same.

When the poster wrote “a bit of a silly boy”, it was followed by the Daily Mail quote. Regardless of the intention or the writer, or whatever your limited compression of English has permitted you to understand, the writer is stating: “He is a silly boy for being charged with this offense” - there is no implication of guilt in his post, so there is no need to write “allegedly”.

‘To allege’ is to present a discourse without or before proof, or alternatively to put forward and argument. It is not an argument that it would be silly of a person to find oneself in a situation in which one were charged with a serious criminal offense; it is an opinion or a generalised statement of fact.

As for the title “Jason has been living up to his name”, this is obviously word play, or a pastiche of a tabloid subhead, hence any implication does not need to be clarified as allegation, since it is clearly an attempt at humour. If it were the case that any attempt at humour needed to automatically include the suffix “allegedly” in order to avoid libel, then the Daily Mail and the other tabloids would have gone out of business years ago.

Nonetheless, my original point was not addressed at you, but merely to criticize a misreading by someone else of what you had posted. [And if you care to re-read what I posted, by the way, you will see that I didn't say that "he may be innocent".]

He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.

I suspect you mean “Comprehension 101” rather than “Reading 101”. The thing about being a pedant is that you need to be correct while you’re at it.

The OP quoted a Daily Mail article in his post. The verb ‘to state’ is means ‘to declare’, or

‘to affirm’, it is synonymous with ‘to report’, ‘to narrate’ and ‘to articulate’. A post is a statement. By quoting a newspaper article that states Puncheon has been charged, the OP is stating the same.

When the poster wrote “a bit of a silly boy”, it was followed by the Daily Mail quote. Regardless of the intention or the writer, or whatever your limited compression of English has permitted you to understand, the writer is stating: “He is a silly boy for being charged with this offense” - there is no implication of guilt in his post, so there is no need to write “allegedly”.

‘To allege’ is to present a discourse without or before proof, or alternatively to put forward and argument. It is not an argument that it would be silly of a person to find oneself in a situation in which one were charged with a serious criminal offense; it is an opinion or a generalised statement of fact.

As for the title “Jason has been living up to his name”, this is obviously word play, or a pastiche of a tabloid subhead, hence any implication does not need to be clarified as allegation, since it is clearly an attempt at humour. If it were the case that any attempt at humour needed to automatically include the suffix “allegedly” in order to avoid libel, then the Daily Mail and the other tabloids would have gone out of business years ago.

He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.

1) I don't know about you, but when I was a kid in primary school, English language study was usually separated into Reading and Writing. Comprehension was considered an element of Reading. Nonetheless, Reading 101 and Comprehension 101 can be considered synonymous in this situation.

2) The primary meaning of 'to state' is to express an opinion, or outline a set of facts, verbally or in writing. Merely to post a newspaper article—sharing someone else's opinions, or statements of fact—is not to make a statement of one's own.

3) It doesn't make sense to say that "he is a silly boy for being charged with this offense", since he was not responsible for being charged. Clearly, then, he must be silly for behaving in the manner that led to him being charged. Therefore, to call him "a silly boy" is to imply, logically, that he is guilty of the charge being made.