Southampton's micro pub and beer scene overall

saint1977

Haven't lived in Southampton for many, many years but have noticed on last few visits (where I stay for a weekend, tend to drive to games on the whole), not least a stag do last year that the micropub scene is really growing and breweries popping up like the Dancing Man. Suspect the Platform Tavern is a bit different to when my old man went there in the 1960s!

I'm hearing that there is a new micropub in Woolston now in addition to Shirley, the wonderful Butcher's Hook at Bitterne Triangle and the bookshop-cum-bar in Portswood. Was impressed by whatever pub is there in place of the Bevois Castle (sorry, can't recall the name). In terms of beer shops, Bitter Virtue still there and going strong. Guide Dog is a traditional home fans favourite cited regularly on here.

Does anyone frequent these places regularly and what are the best brews you've tried?

Edited by saint1977

Gawd, I don't remember specific beers, more likely ones to avoid. I've been to quite a few of the ones you mention... The Platform (and Dancing Man) are rather expensive so I tend to have a couple of 'spoons pints on the way there! There's a new hole-in-the-wall type pub in Freemantle, in basically a terrace house with beer on stillage in what would normally be the kitchen. Can't remember the name, it was at the end of a long day (Arsenal at home) but the beer was excellent. The Wellington Arms (where we then moved on to..) is decent but maybe not as interesting a range as the previous landlord's.

If we win well today you might find me at The Guide Dog afterwards with friends and the 4 pint jugs.

The Imperial Russian Stout at The Platform, when they do it, is worth a (12%) half-pint. Tremendous depth and complexity of flavour; the opposite of a session beer! I can't remember which game _that_ was. :-)

Cheers both, C Ford micro pub sounds good, will visit. Loved it that AFC fined for not putting Dons on the scoreboard when they played MK!

Wellington Arms was quality when run by Bob, sounds like it’s still good. Micro pub there sounds worth an explore. If I’d had that Imperial Stout Sue I wouldn’t remember the whole season. Perhaps that’s the answer for this season lol

This is worth a read, lists all the local pubs and breweries.

http://thomashallett.com/southampton-craft-beer-real-ale-guide/

Tap It brewery is worth checking out. On the industrial estate behind St Mary's. They open a few days a week and do take outs.

http://www.tapitbrew.co.uk

Thanks The Cat, those links are great particularly the Thomas Hallett link, those 3 crawls are definitely worth trying on my next visit to SMS if I stay with friends. The take out option I may save for match day lol

Has anyone tried Tap It’s beers? Impressive range of IPAs and pales and definitely fancy the Milk Stout and London Porter. Got that booked in for Doug soon. Friend of mine would love the London Porter

Interstella and Tinker are both lovely IPA's. Swifty is ok, last time I went in they said they were in the process of switching out one of the hops for another so it may get better. Haven't tried the stout or porter, they aren't really what I normally go for.

Really nice blokes that run the place as well. They'll spend ages chatting about the beers and the process if you want to.

Interstella and Tinker are both lovely IPA's. Swifty is ok, last time I went in they said they were in the process of switching out one of the hops for another so it may get better. Haven't tried the stout or porter, they aren't really what I normally go for.

Really nice blokes that run the place as well. They'll spend ages chatting about the beers and the process if you want to.

Cheers, will definitely visit them, especially if they do take out. Southampton’s beer scene is definitely on the up by the looks of it

Cheers, will definitely visit them, especially if they do take out. Southampton’s beer scene is definitely on the up by the looks of it

Definitely is. I've been abroad for 2 years and impressed by how much it is improved. As well as the ones mentioned there is Caskaway on Oxford Street and Brewdog.

There's also a new brewpub called Steam Town Brew Co that has just opened up in Bishopstoke, just 5 mins walk from Eastleigh Train Station. It has a great selection of ales and craft beers and they are going to be brewing their own beers soon.

Definitely is. I've been abroad for 2 years and impressed by how much it is improved. As well as the ones mentioned there is Caskaway on Oxford Street and Brewdog.

There's also a new brewpub called Steam Town Brew Co that has just opened up in Bishopstoke, just 5 mins walk from Eastleigh Train Station. It has a great selection of ales and craft beers and they are going to be brewing their own beers soon.

Caskaway sounds great, will look that up and interesting Brewdog have opened up in the city. Steam Town sounds good as well. I went to a stag do last year and what was The Highfield had turned into a brewpub, would be interested to see if that’s gone to prosper as well