Saints 1 Huddersfield 1 - Post Match

St Chalet

You know it's time for the manager to go when you find yourself wishing Huddersfield score a late winner just to eliminate any possible doubt the hopelessly out of depth MP needs to be fired in the morning.

My son and I were at the game and said exactly the same thing; and it feels really bad to be thinking like that but these are truly worrying times. I know I'm not the first to say this but it has the same feeling as the season we went down from the Prem. Poor manager, a board that are sleep walking towards disaster, players lacking motivation and critical points slipping away. If we assume no points from the next two matches barring miracles, they may act if we don't beat Palace but that feels too late for me. Agree with the WGS suggestion. He's been away from this level for a while (and Scotland is hardly a top appointment) but not sure there is a better/more realistic option out there. Personally I would act if we lose to Spurs.

Not a bad performance today and Saints would would have been comfortable winners if Austin's shot from Redmond's excellent run had gone in.

And Saints could just as easily have been 2 down in the first quarter of an hour. The fact is that we didn't win, ( again ), at home. The pattern is clear, and today's game was simply another demonstration of how disjointed and de-motivated the team is. MoPe inherited from Puel a team that had perhaps lost it's way, but since he took over it has been heading straight for the edge of a cliff.

Too many posters on here running their own misguided agendas and seeking confirmation bias.

MP inherited an unbalanced squad that is short of goal scoring ability and sacking him will have no effect if this is not rectified in January.

Not a bad performance today and Saints would would have been comfortable winners if Austin's shot from Redmond's excellent run had gone in.

You are joking! Can you name one player who has improved under this muppet? I mean seriously improved, not just playing well because they've been given a run like PEH. I have never called for a manager to be fired but this guy is totally clueless. He has had more talent to work with than Puel ever had and done significantly less with it. No idea how to get the best out of individual players, no idea of shape, no game-by-game strategy...he's a one trick pony whose trick is to sit back and defend deep away from home against the bigger clubs and hope for a lucky breakaway goal. There was no pressing today when we're out of possession (I hate watching us sit back and wait for the inevitable killer cross to come in)...no working hard to make yourself available for an easy pass...no fast breakaway when we were 1-0 up (Austin not fast enough, Redmond heads for the sidelines)...

Read StJackoinHaworth above - totally agree.

Enough already.

We can sit here and say if Austin made that goal, etc., but the real problem is we are too dependent on Austin to score goals. To Puels credit he said this last season. If Austin scores 1 we score 1, if he scores a brace then the team gets 2. We are hanging on every Austin shot, and I get the feeling the team is too. Austin creates a bunch of shots and scores his share of goals off of them, but MP needed to do something to get more shots from others. Whether that means different players on the pitch like Boufal, or a different formation like 2 or 3 up, its his call. MP has not done that, and now Austin is out for a few weeks so MP is really screwed.

Too many posters on here running their own misguided agendas and seeking confirmation bias.

MP inherited an unbalanced squad that is short of goal scoring ability and sacking him will have no effect if this is not rectified in January.

He did inherit an unballacned and broken squad, I'll give you that. It has quality though and should be beating sides like Watford, Huddersfield, Burnley, Leicster at home.

It was a horrific performance today, there was nothing good about it. We could have snuck ourselves a win, but we didn't as we were ****. Lack of mobility, lack of pace, lack of a game plan in attacking area's, no one really sure of what they're doing. A disorganised and shambolic mess, which is just a continuation of the last 6 months.

Would you not have made a sub when they were battering us before their goal?

Again like Burnley they make 2 subs our clueless numpty sits on his hands screaming for Hoj or Romeu to bolster our midfield.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And I am so glad I gave up my St after last season I think I'd be asking for a refund if I had ! Leon Crouch told me the Chinese "Crooks" have no interest in football just earning a few quid from the premier league.

Well they are not going about it very well, if we go down their ‘investment’ is going to be worth peanuts.

Its utterly depressing watching us and supporting us.

I massively dislike Les Reed

I detest Pellegrino

I hate Redmond

Absolutely miserable club just now.

Complete mismanagement from top to bottom

A number of heads need to roll very soon or we are ****ed

Mismanagement indeed from top to bottom: They ran out of hot food the other week by half time on a lunchtime game on the coldest match of the season.

But joking aside I don’t see us getting anywhere near 40 points atm. There’s a lot of dross in the league this year. But the fact Palace have caught up after losing something like first 7 games is absolutely ****potical. If they beat us (and I think they may well) then I think we’re in serious bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a question of when and who replaces him.

There is only one problem with this team and that must be solved with the immediate sacking of the manager.

Tactically inept and too slow to react. Sadly Pellegrino is out of his depth.

Questions need to be asked about the process of recruitment.

I've never called for a manager to be sacked before, but this guy needs to go imo. He seems pretty clueless about how to play football with a style that works in England. He only seems to have a clue about limiting the scoreline when playing the top sides whose style is much more what he would have been used to abroad.

However, I am not among those who blame Les Reed - there has been too much good before this to blame him entirely. Yes, this has been a poor appointment, but there have been many other good appointments and purchases for which he deserves some credit.

I also don't think you can blame the players - they are simply trying to implement the instructions they have been given by MoPe and Black (who also should go!). Redmond gave a very strong hint about that to Guardiola after the City game. The only player that deserves any significant blame is Van Dijk whose petulance has hung like a cloud over the club for far too long (though I still believe we need to hold out for the right money for him from the right club!)

This is a very good post. We have won only one game away all season, against a Palace side that at that time had failed to score a goal this season. The other three wins at home were against 10 man Wet Spam (stoppage time penalty having been outplayed second half), 1-0 against WBA thanks to Boufal late magic and beating the most demotivated Everton side you could imagine. Throw in the humiliation to Wolves Reserves and it’s massive deterioration from the very competent Puel even if he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

I will be amazed if we aren’t stuck on 19 points after 21 games and that is relegation form. A reminder that because of Wet Spam switch of venue we have majority of games away in second half of season. Time to pull the trigger on MP

This is a very good post. We have won only one game away all season, against a Palace side that at that time had failed to score a goal this season. The other three wins at home were against 10 man Wet Spam (stoppage time penalty having been outplayed second half), 1-0 against WBA thanks to Boufal late magic and beating the most demotivated Everton side you could imagine. Throw in the humiliation to Wolves Reserves and it’s massive deterioration from the very competent Puel even if he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

I will be amazed if we aren’t stuck on 19 points after 21 games and that is relegation form. A reminder that because of Wet Spam switch of venue we have majority of games away in second half of season. Time to pull the trigger on MP

Agreed. Does anyone seriously think this **** will get better results from a more difficult 2nd half of the season? A worse set of results will almost certainly see us going down. I am actually very close to thinking that if we don't sack him we will definitely go down.

Totally clueless from MP2.

The opposition make 2 changes on the 61min replacing a full back and a wide player with 2 central players who will make runs into our box.

MP2 just stands and watches the opposition change their game plan.

Within 3 mins of coming on one of those new players makes a run unchallenged to the dead ball line and crosses with easy.

MP2 still doesn't change the setup of Saints, does he expect the players to sort it out for themselves ?

I’ve not managed to get to many games but that today was an unmitigated muddled mess. Not for the first time there was no shape to the team and there didn’t seem to be any plan of action. What the hell was Stephens doing at right back? Once again we concede from a header from an unmarked player from an uncontested cross. Yoshida is too polite to try and put the striker off his jump.

This is not fun any more. Pellegrino has to go but I hope to hell that the problem lies with him or we really are in trouble.

The point is that the best players were sold for financial reasons by Kat to keep the club afloat without massive investment by herself ( apart from the odd £20M loan) . The managers/players knew this so baled out . The club could not continue to spend as required by Cortese so tightening of the belt happened and this is the result , unless Gao has money to invest , nothing will change unless we get a unheard of fantastic manager who can attract better players . THeonly other hope is a few flukke results that keep us above the bottom 3.

I’ve not managed to get to many games but that today was an unmitigated muddled mess. Not for the first time there was no shape to the team and there didn’t seem to be any plan of action. What the hell was Stephens doing at right back? Once again we concede from a header from an unmarked player from an uncontested cross. Yoshida is too polite to try and put the striker off his jump.

This is not fun any more. Pellegrino has to go but I hope to hell that the problem lies with him or we really are in trouble.

Just watch the Pellugrino interview...., OMG

This guy is completely lost. Calls for consistency but completely changes the team every game!

We are consistently crap anyway!

Nonsense - we played without shape or intensity today (as we have all season), and Huddersfield could've been 0-3 up before we even had a shot on goal if not for Mooy having a poor game and FF tipping one onto the bar. A team with players of almost any quality can play with energy and organisation, and when they don't, it's really only the management that's to blame.

This manager is an idiot. We are playing Huddersfield and really need to play our strongest team and compete. When I heard the team, I just couldn't believe it. Stephens and Targett were necessary, Davis, Tadic, Redmond and JWP was self inflicted. Romeu, Hojbjerg, Boufal and Gabbiadini or Long would have given us more of a fighting chance. FFS if it doesn't fit 4-2-3-1 then play something else like 4-3-3 with Hojbjerg alongside Romeu and Lamina to get forward and help the forwards.

For a season and a half we have seen Davis, Redmond, Tadic and JWP are incapable of making the runs behind defenders and getting into the box yet this clown still picks them. The longer the club leave it before they sack him the deeper in the mire we will be. We should really be replacing those four permanently, selling VVD and bringing in a striker and attacking midfielder plus some genuine pace and another CB (DeVryj? to be sold by Napoli.

Things seem to have gone badly wrong throughout the club. Management have presided over continuous player sales whilst replacing them with inferior quality, at the same time we've seen a succession of managers. This level of turnover has meant that any positive spirit or culture will have evaporated and we are left with a disparate collection of players, playing for themselves and hoping for the call from a bigger club. Trying to do it on the cheap may have worked four or five seasons ago but sadly there's more money around now and the rules of the game have changed.........unfortunately our leaders don't appear to believe thats a good enough reason to step up with investment. We have a worse squad than two seasons ago when the average across the division has gone up significantly.

MP has a tough job with this squad, but when it's patently clear the players are not a united unit, lack confidence and don't seem to be giving everything to win a game then he needs replacing. How many more 'if only' moments do there have to be before we all accept that it's just not working.

At times today we were so bad (that Redmond cross field ball to nobody towards the end of the game sticks out like the crowning turd) that I do wonder if the players are facilitating their managers exit.

Another poster said how this season feels like the 04/05 relegation season - I couldn't agree more.

I don't really know what I'd consider par for this squad or Manager but together they seem like an absolute disaster. A bunch of disinterested players coupled with a Manager who has no ability to impress a tactical blueprint or playing style. The end result is performances like this. It's not like its really bad because we don't compete, its just that it is really really bad because we compete and still churn out muck like this because the players seem confused and seem to just give up and do their own thing.

Pathetic from the players and poor from the manager.

Totton are a decent side., You are doing him a favour by telling him to go and support them.

He didn’t sell anyone in summer. He’s had Austin fit for a while. It’s the real that finished 8th. If you’re happy with that kinda performance go and support totton.

You are doing him a favour by telling him to watch Totton because they are a decent side!

I think we all need a change of mindset. Its back to the good old days of fighting relegation. A stiffer backbone is required.

19 points is a reasonable haul by xmas for a relegation scrap. Which we are in obviously.

The board will have 100 mill to spend soon. As long as they don't mess it up that should see us safe.

MP has to go i suspect we are all agreed on that. Experienced hand in for the next 6 months.

After that major reboot and rethink.

As another poster said we shouldn't be arrogant and think we are above relegation, but neither should we be that negative about our prospects.

Thetes a good team in there just needs a settled run.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

First half we seemed clueless, no cohesion, no plan. Scored against the run of play and we saw the half out. Second half was better, after conceding we seemed to put in the extra effort to win and nearly managed it. Should have won.

Tadic, apart from closing the keeper down did very little except fall over. Boufal was a big improvement - I don't think anyone on the pitch knows what he's going to do which makes it tricky for opponents and teammates but he creates a lot.

Austin was good despite his lack of speed and should have scored again once Redmond put him through - was interesting that chance as I'm sure the defender thought Redmond was going to check to take it on his right foot, which he normally does, very predictably, but this time didn't and created a good chance for himself/Austin.

Redmond needs too many chances though and is often frustrating to watch.

Thought Hoedt was MOTM, didn't put a foot wrong that I could see and wastes very little. Very tidy, excellent CB. Saying that I was too far away to see who was at fault for Huddersfield's goal.

Yoshi made a couple of errors but was otherwise pretty solid, and nearly scored again.

As usual JWP is ok defensively but creates little to nothing going forward.

He's overstayed his welcome by about 6 games for me. By now the club could have put someone in charge who would have had us moving forward but instead we are stuck with Mr Negative and his rigid 1 up front , no plan B, players out of position, bizarre team selections management 'style'.

TBH just waiting for the club to sack him now. It hasn't worked and both sides need to be put out of their misery.

Taken in isolation I thought todays games was pretty entertaining and we were the better team we made some decent chances and we should have won really. It wasn't the best performance but without Cedric or Bertrand we struggled for width. Stephens and Targett just don't have the pace to be dangerous on the attack and couldn't afford to get forward to much because they couldn't recover fast enough. Not having decent attacking FBs is a big deal with the way we play. Players wise the two big disappointments were Tadic and Targett who were both poor today. Redmond gets a lot of stick but he was ok today (especially given he was having to a decent defensive shift supporting Targett) apart from that horrendous pace towards the end of the game.

The problem of course is our poor form makes it hard to take this game in isolation..... Austin being out is a really worry. I'm hoping if these rumours of VVD going to City in Jan our true we are already spending the cash to shore up the gaps in our team and get them in early in the window we need a reliable strikers, more options in the full back positions, a new keeper and a proper 10 with goals in him.

First half we seemed clueless, no cohesion, no plan. Scored against the run of play and we saw the half out. Second half was better, after conceding we seemed to put in the extra effort to win and nearly managed it. Should have won.

Tadic, apart from closing the keeper down did very little except fall over. Boufal was a big improvement - I don't think anyone on the pitch knows what he's going to do which makes it tricky for opponents and teammates but he creates a lot.

Austin was good despite his lack of speed and should have scored again once Redmond put him through - was interesting that chance as I'm sure the defender thought Redmond was going to check to take it on his right foot, which he normally does, very predictably, but this time didn't and created a good chance for himself/Austin.

Redmond needs too many chances though and is often frustrating to watch.

Thought Hoedt was MOTM, didn't put a foot wrong that I could see and wastes very little. Very tidy, excellent CB. Saying that I was too far away to see who was at fault for Huddersfield's goal.

Yoshi made a couple of errors but was otherwise pretty solid, and nearly scored again.

As usual JWP is ok defensively but creates little to nothing going forward.

eh? we were far better in the first half and the goal certainly wasn't against the run of play. Second half we let them get back into it by dropping to deep which lead to their goal after that it was pretty even either side could have nicked it but the best chances in front of goal all belonged to saints today..

Just in from the game.

Team selection was beyond strange. PEH has been our best player recently & hes on the bench. Tadic starts again & is woeful. Davis terrible. Redmond very poor first half, but improved in the second.

We were abysmal for the first 15/20 minutes. Both sides are very poor. Ref clearly loves Ince as everytime he fell over he awarded a free kick.

Manager is clueless. Its time for him to go & for us to start a fresh.

Only positives today. We didn't lose, 3 home grown players starting, Forster made an excellent save early in the first half.................