Gary Monk

Pedro

If you worked with a Middlesbrough fan like I do you wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Says they have been awful this season - for a team that promised to “smash the Championship” they’ve only played well 2 or 3 times.

He hasn’t done well anywhere. He might not have been a disaster but if we sacked Pellegrino and appointed Monk our fortunes wouldn’t change much.

I know Beattie did some free coaching at our club a few years ago and probably impressed Reed.

Maybe Monk and Beattie are coming back in 2018 with the VVD money to spending the market?

IMHO It’s a big gamble and it will show how our ambitions have changed recently if we employ him.

Seems a harsh sacking at Boro if that is what's happened. Only 3 points off play offs currently. I know they were aiming higher but not always easy to quickly turn around a relegated team who have got used to losing games. As their recent run is not too bad, perhaps something has gone on behind the scenes that explains it, eg row with chairman.

I personally thought he did a good job at Swansea and had them playing some decent stuff. Think he got the boot prematurely as Swansea started getting big ideas that they should be permanently in top half. Also had Leeds moving in the right direction before deciding not to stay on.

Probably not the right man for us right now though, as think we would be better off with an older head in charge to steady the ship for now.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Crazy by borough imo. Wins, up to 9th in a very competitive league in 1st season & they sack him.

Wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to him at saints.

But there are far better managers than Monk available right now. Foolish owners have sacked them and replaced them with inferior idiots, just for the sake of it, or so it would seem; When you can get Pulis or Koeman for nowt then Monk is toast.

• 6 years later...
11 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

An ex-plyaer rather than an ex-manager, but that's another connection running a club in League 1, with him being hired as Cambridge manager.

Reading - 16th
Charlton - 18th
Cambridge - 19th

Well done for resurrecting a thread from more than 6 years ago to make such an exciting announcement 📣 

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 23/12/2017 at 22:31, Manuel said:

His name is Monk ffs. Destined for Sainthood.

Well he will now be at home at The Abbey (before sponsorship and naming rights). Perhaps he’s still on that path.

18 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

An ex-plyaer rather than an ex-manager, but that's another connection running a club in League 1, with him being hired as Cambridge manager.

Reading - 16th
Charlton - 18th
Cambridge - 19th

All missing their glory days of battling it out for the coveted 17th place by the looks of it. Once a Saint, always a Saint.

Apparently he's had 4 years out of the management game, makes you wonder if he's had some troubles at home etc. Either way, its a slightly interesting appointment by Cambridge. You'd think he's probably far too good a manager for them in truth? So mildly curious to see what happens to him with that one. Surely the last throw of the dice for him re potential failure... if all he can get now is Cambridge anyway... 🙈

37 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Apparently he's had 4 years out of the management game, makes you wonder if he's had some troubles at home etc. Either way, its a slightly interesting appointment by Cambridge. You'd think he's probably far too good a manager for them in truth? So mildly curious to see what happens to him with that one. Surely the last throw of the dice for him re potential failure... if all he can get now is Cambridge anyway... 🙈

My first thought was the length of contract Wednesday might have given him. I can't imagine it being for mor than 3 years. But perhaps at least half of the out time was being paid for.

I'd forgotten he'd been at quite so many clubs already.

9 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Well done for resurrecting a thread from more than 6 years ago to make such an exciting announcement 📣 

🤣🤣🤣

You will now be glued to that L1 relegation battle. 😀

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

He got caught hassling young lads at Birmingham (one who would fetch big £££ in particular...) to sign with his agent and his name got muddied in football circles.

Middlesbrough also accused him of dodgy dealings: https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/All/Middlesbroughs-new-bombshell-accusations-at-Garry-Monk/1540023

31 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

He got caught hassling young lads at Birmingham (one who would fetch big £££ in particular...) to sign with his agent and his name got muddied in football circles.

Middlesbrough also accused him of dodgy dealings: https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/All/Middlesbroughs-new-bombshell-accusations-at-Garry-Monk/1540023

Thanks for that. An interesting, if disheartening, read.

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Ah, so looks like he's been a very naughty boy then.... The number of links between Monk, his agent, and the numerous transfer dealings (even when not the agent for the player in question) is far too much to be coincidence for me at least.

Always helpful when an ex-Southampton man has been out and about sabotaging the competition though 👀

Edited by Saint86

15 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

My first thought was the length of contract Wednesday might have given him. I can't imagine it being for mor than 3 years. But perhaps at least half of the out time was being paid for.

I'd forgotten he'd been at quite so many clubs already.

You will now be glued to that L1 relegation battle. 😀

Only if the Skates were involved in it which sadly they’re not 😞

• Like 1