Pellegrino - Half Season Verdict

St Chalet

What Should The Board Do?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. What Should The Board Do?

I reckon you'd of stayed on the Titanic because you believed it was unsinkable. Sometimes you need to open you eyes and see what's staring you in the face!!!

The bloke is clueless. Reed is past his sell by date and Kruger should go back to ice hockey. When we sink into Championship oblivion again will you change your mind?

I've supported Saints for over 40 years but I still have my own opinion. The last time I felt this strongly was this time last year!!!

It has been hard pointing it out but the signs have been racking up over the last three years. It was not obvious to many people due to propaganda and very convincing papering of the cracks. But I could see it and a few others could as well. Lets hope we have enough left to survive this year.

Last post for me today.I couldnt care less what division we are in. In fact not having to watch the big six ponce about and fall over six times a year is quite appealing.

So what is the point of supporting the club then whether it makes no difference whether we win lose or draw which is what you are saying. Maybe that is the prevailing attitude of those a bit older than me and older, but times have changed. Sport is a results business. In the 70s and 80s the Game was more level and success more easily achievable but still hard. Oh well, I hope you enjoy watching Daints cos right now it is turgid.

That's rubbish I thought we replaced Mane with Boufal Juanami by Redmond Wanyama by PEH and then brought in Gabbi

Replaced Fonte by Hoedt and added Lemina

Not sure there is much wrong in theory with these signings

I think Pelle was the bigger loss. Austin chips in with goals but Pelle's overall contribution and all-round impact on opposition defenders was a lot better.

He has to go. It's not going to get better anytime soon. The longer he stays the more likely relegation is.

We need a manager with a bit of stature and experience. The players are lacking direction and leadership.

We are actually more negative now than we were last season.

I am hoping that the new manager has already been lined up and has had a watching brief. With the transfer window opening, and the likely sale of VVD, we need him to hit the ground running. Dithering is not an option.

Players don’t give a sh!t about playing for Southampton which is the biggest part of the problem. So much for the ‘due diligence’work on player’s character before they are signed. Absolute tosh.

Problems run far deeper than the manager/head of the first team department!

That may be true, but doesn’t change the fact the man at the helm is clueless and we would be doing better if he wasn’t in charge. May be not be enough to fulfil the max potential of our squad due to other issues but at the moment I’d take a moderate improvement (ie not be scrapping against relegation).

The appointment has been a disaster. Like others have said, I feel sorry for the guy. Totally out of his depth. The tactics are non existent, the players don't look interested. The fans are bored. This was not part of the plan, or indeed 'The Southampton Way'

Clearly he needs to go, I am amazed he wasn't sacked after the Leicester debacle. There are probably 3 teams worse than us but I wouldn't gamble on it. We could be in the bottom 3 by the New Year and I simply don't trust most of our players in a relegation battle. Tadic again was pathetic yesterday in his attempt to feign injury. The guy needs to man up big time.

The question is, who replaces him??

Guy is an utter clown and is like a deer caught in headlights. Incompetent, terrible tactics and baffling decisions. Never changes a game in time when other managers make changes and treatment of Boufal is an utter disgrace.....especially when that diving, whinging piece of s**t Tadic is preferred over him all the time.

As soon as we take the lead you can see him urging the players to sit deep....bloody awful to watch and the team is playing like a group of strangers.

Terrible, terrible mistake by Reed and co and could well cost us our place in the Prem because I just don't see how he will get us the results we need.

BAck him. He was given Shyte in Redmond and Tadic. Davis is starting to go down hill. Despite his poor start to his role I can’t see anyone that we could realistically get it that would change things. Give Him some cash for a couple of decent attacking players and I think we can avoid the drop. Reassess in the summer when better options are available.

I don't understand people saying back him, but I'd be interested like a few have said to know why, the reasons given by a few like above is just about getting better players that will improve us, thats obvious. BUT would you really believe MP would still be able to turn things around, I don't, he's dropped players when playing well and putting square pegs in round holes, he could be given Messi and still not know what to do, I wanted Puel out but at least he improved 1 or 2, I can't see any positives be it tactical or coaching that will do anything bar take us down, despite what people say we have a decent squad, a lot of teams other than top 6 would rip our hands of for Romeu, Lemina, Gabbi, Austin, Cedric, Hojberg let alone VVD and Bertie going to any epl team

I don't understand people saying back him, but I'd be interested like a few have said to know why, the reasons given by a few like above is just about getting better players that will improve us, thats obvious. BUT would you really believe MP would still be able to turn things around, I don't, he's dropped players when playing well and putting square pegs in round holes, he could be given Messi and still not know what to do, I wanted Puel out but at least he improved 1 or 2, I can't see any positives be it tactical or coaching that will do anything bar take us down, despite what people say we have a decent squad, a lot of teams other than top 6 would rip our hands of for Romeu, Lemina, Gabbi, Austin, Cedric, Hojberg let alone VVD and Bertie going to any epl team

I voted for him to stay. Not because I rate him, i actually don't think he's great at all. My main reason is because we're unlikely to replace him with someone better (the 3 sure things in life are death, taxes, and Les Reed hiring an unemployed manager). IMO the real issue lies with our squad; notably our attack. Only Austin has a history of consistent goal scoring. The rest just aren't at the level we need. Almost all our recent signings were leftovers/rejects; players almost out of contract or bench/squad players that their club was happy to let go. It's Les Reed's Southampton Way; Saints FC aka The Reject Shop.

I know a lot disagree, but I thought Puel was a solid manager. Good pedigree, a history of exciting counter-attack football. You could see what he was trying to do here. Despite him being a solid manager, even when we setup to attack hard the squad still struggled to score. That's an indictment on the people in charge of recruitment. Swapping managers will just cost us another £6m severance + new manager signing fees and it'll be same old same old until we improve our attacking players. If we have a quality replacement locked in like a Tuchel or Garcia then sure, sack, but 99% sure we don't and we'll replace him like-for-like. So what's the point? Questions need to be asked of those above Pellegrino. It's their fault our squad balance is as poor as it currently is.

We have not had a really good performance this season but I feel that is mostly down to the players who are constantly making errors and wasting chances

This. We ARE creating chances but don't take them. Disappointing as the football has been, I am not sure changing the manager alone would resolve.

After the Brexit debacle, I would like to know other candidates in the frame before deciding.

I voted for him to stay. Not because I rate him, i actually don't think he's great at all. My main reason is because we're unlikely to replace him with someone better (the 3 sure things in life are death, taxes, and Les Reed hiring an unemployed manager). IMO the real issue lies with our squad; notably our attack. Only Austin has a history of consistent goal scoring. The rest just aren't at the level we need. Almost all our recent signings were leftovers/rejects; players almost out of contract or bench/squad players that their club was happy to let go. It's Les Reed's Southampton Way; Saints FC aka The Reject Shop.

I know a lot disagree, but I thought Puel was a solid manager. Good pedigree, a history of exciting counter-attack football. You could see what he was trying to do here. Despite him being a solid manager, even when we setup to attack hard the squad still struggled to score. That's an indictment on the people in charge of recruitment. Swapping managers will just cost us another £6m severance + new manager signing fees and it'll be same old same old until we improve our attacking players. If we have a quality replacement locked in like a Tuchel or Garcia then sure, sack, but 99% sure we don't and we'll replace him like-for-like. So what's the point? Questions need to be asked of those above Pellegrino. It's their fault our squad balance is as poor as it currently is.

And this too. Give me a choice of Pellegrino or (name). Then I want to hear their manifestos, how they would get the best of what we have, and who they would like to bring in.

Can't just answer "Pellegrino - in or out" unless it's really "Pellegrino or no manager at all."

Should be building the attack (team) around Boufal but barely plays him. Get out of here scouse git.

This is one of the main things that bewilders me with Pellegrino - he consistently starts repeat failures Tadic, Redmond and Ward-Prowse in attacking roles and leaves Boufal as an afterthought sub. once we're behind and need a goal. His treatment off Gabbiadini is similarly negligent. Then you look at the ridiculous rotation, the lack of timing and strategy with subs and team set up, and you have a disaster. He's an abysmal Manager.

I believe Puel only went because of season Ticket Sales, we cant wait til the summer, Pellegrino needs to go now, I remember the Branfoot era and never thought it would get that bad again even in the two Lowe eras

Regardless of what they do the club doesnt feel right, the Leicester crowd was flat even before the goals , and I honestly expected us to lose 1-2 to Huddersfield and I felt most of the crowd were half expecing that result as soon as we scored and then sat back,

Go get Rodgers or maybe try Benitez, the team needs a shake up from a manager who will instantly get their attention

He’s clearly out of his depth. Still doesn’t know his best line up, looks to me like he is trying to stumble across a winning formula.

There is nothing in his CV to suggest he has the ability to get us out of this mess, his appointment was a gamble - just get rid.

The later we leave it the less of a chance the new guy will have if keeping us up, when I look at the fixture list I fear Reed’s dithering may already have cost us though.

This 100% we may have already left it too late!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I got a new job about a year ago and had a 6 month probation period, after which my employer could terminate my contract without any reason. Glad to say, they were happy with me and kept me on. Apparently that is very common these days, so just wondering why it's not done in football? Would be a great way to check suitability both ways IMHO.

We know that even if Pellugrino did have better players he wouldn’t play them most of the time so the argument is utterly pointless ....

He doesn’t know who his best players are now !

Absolutely abysmal. Baffling team selections, baffling tactics, negative, boring football, we're progressively getting worse as the season goes on, the only teams we've beaten have been ones who've been utterly sh*te. Best players not performing,players who've done well not getting picked,bizarre rotation policy, poor game management. Been a disaster and shown nothing to suggest its going to get better.

I'm not one for knee jerk reactions and don't normally call for the manager's head. I didn't especially like Puel's style of football but wouldn't have been too upset if he'd stayed. But we are simply poor under Pellegrino. Yesterday we were good for about 5 minutes before our goal and for the rest of the first half. For the rest of the game we were awful. And it's been like that for too many games. The performances against Everton and Arsenal were exceptions but, instead of building on those, he changed the system and the team and we have reverted to boring, unsuccessful football.

We have talented players in Boufal, PEH and Gabbiadini. Why are we not building our team around them? Redmond is talented but his decision making is poor. Why is a coach not helping him to improve? Why do other teams break on us with speed and purpose while we seem to give them a sporting chance to get back into position before attacking and then passing it back?

I'm sorry, my patience is exhausted. He needs to go.

BAck him. He was given Shyte in Redmond and Tadic. Davis is starting to go down hill. Despite his poor start to his role I can’t see anyone that we could realistically get it that would change things. Give Him some cash for a couple of decent attacking players and I think we can avoid the drop. Reassess in the summer when better options are available.

You have lost it mate.

Agree with 90% posters on here in their criticism of Pelligrino so won't add to the list. He should have gone weeks ago...just hoping that the board are busy lining up a replacement which is why he is still hanging around but suspect that this is just wishful thinking. One of the most worrying things it that other underperforming clubs have acted swiftly to try to get out of a mess and picked up the available competent managers. Thought I would never say it but I really wish we had gotten Allardyce....Christ things must be bad, and we were laughing at Everton only a couple of weeks ago and now look where they are.

The people who claim there was nothing on his CV to merit getting the job make me laugh. Top player, schooled as a coach under Rafa and did a pretty good job at a small Spanish side. The next step up for him was a premier league club. It was a risk, and hindsight’s a wonderful thing, but I don’t blame the board for appointing him. Obviously I blame them for not giving Puel more time, but not for the decision to try this guy.

I’ve always advocated giving managers time, but I’m slowly coming round to believing it’s gone beyond that. I just wish I knew what was going on behind the scenes. Are there some toxic players at the club, what’s his training sessions like, do the players respect him. It’s very easy to just blame the manager, Les Reed has all the facts to hand and hopefully he’ll do the right thing, whatever that is.

The article posted was ok but I would challenge one aspect of it, the playing of youth players. Puel did that, preferring Jack Stephens to an experienced international, giving others a chance, developing them, clearly looking towards the future. Then what happened? Sacked. There’s no way on Earth a Saints Manager will take a gamble with youth, let them learn through making mistakes, because when it goes wrong, they’re out. It’s not a failing of his, not playing youth, it’s driven by the past year and what happened to Puel. You have to be secure in your job to do that, have to think you’re safe and won’t be sacked. We’re just like every other club now, instead of having ethos that we’re slightly different. Being like other clubs the solution is like other clubs. We can not afford another gamble, we have to get it right even if it’s just for 5 months. Tony Pullis has his attraction , as he’d probably do it on a temp basis. Personally, I’d go back to an old forum favourite. Martin O Neil, great motivator, charismatic, organised and hopefully will bring Roy Keane along to rattle a few cages. If he wants one last premiership hurrah, he’s not going to get too many better opportunities. 2 year deal, with the option of a 3rd. He could even move upstairs and replace Les after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I was told this week that Pellegrino had told Austin earlier in the season, that he was not his type of player and should look to find another club., if we can get 7 m. Austin apparently was happy to go to China if that opportunity arose.

Whether Pellegrino has changed his mind now, I don’t know, but I suspect he has after the goals have come from Austin alone

I was told this week that Pellegrino had told Austin earlier in the season, that he was not his type of player and should look to find another club., if we can get 7 m. Austin apparently was happy to go to China if that opportunity arose.

Whether Pellegrino has changed his mind now, I don’t know, but I suspect he has after the goals have come from Austin alone

Which begs the question....where on earth did he see the goals coming from???

Absolutely abysmal. Baffling team selections, baffling tactics, negative, boring football, we're progressively getting worse as the season goes on, the only teams we've beaten have been ones who've been utterly sh*te. Best players not performing,players who've done well not getting picked,bizarre rotation policy, poor game management. Been a disaster and shown nothing to suggest its going to get better.

thats pretty much it in a nutshell for me.

4 wins in 19 makes a 21% win rate, this puts his current record below that of these legendary Southampton managers....

Jan Poortvliet

Mark Wotte

Stuart Gray

Ian Branfoot

Only 2 managerial set ups have been worse in club history from a results standpoint.

The pairing of Gorman and Dodd

Steve Wigley

4 wins in 19 makes a 21% win rate, this puts his current record below that of these legendary Southampton managers....

Jan Poortvliet

Mark Wotte

Stuart Gray

Ian Branfoot

Only 2 managerial set ups have been worse in club history from a results standpoint.

The pairing of Gorman and Dodd

Steve Wigley

And somehow we’re 13th, which shows just how awful some of the teams are in this league.

We had 14 points after 19 games in 2004-05, so we’re not quite at Wigley/Redknapp levels