Pellegrino - Half Season Verdict

St Chalet

What Should The Board Do?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. What Should The Board Do?

The canker of complacency that was gnawing away, unseen, during Koeman's era, infected and rotted the first team under both Puel and Pellegrino. Yes, Puel had to go, and so now does Pellegrino. But there needs to be far-reaching change higher up, and a return to the electrifying club we had only a few seasons back. Southampton needs corporate operational leadership that will rejuvenate the moribund academy as well as the first team.

Won just 4 games.

vs West Ham. Got a lucky last minute penalty to bail us out of throwing away a 2 goal lead vs ten men.

vs Palace. A club that was in disarray at the time.

vs West Brom. Needed a wonder goal from a player he clearly doesn’t rate ahead of his pets (Tadic and Redmond)

vs Everton. Another club in that was in utter disarray at the time.

Drab, boring, blunt edged football. Defence is an utter shambles. Doesn’t know best formation, doesn’t know strongest lineup, doesn’t use substitutes to change games or try and counter a change made by the opposition. Clueless. Thanks narrow defeats vs the big clubs is good. Doesn’t inspire players, doesn’t appear to have any tactics other than pass it sideways and backwards while attacking slowly so not to risk gettibg scored on (which happens anyway, because decent managers have their teams play with pace and decisive passing tactics).

Looks completely out if his depth. 0/10. Every second he is still at Saints is a second too long.

The canker of complacency that was gnawing away, unseen, during Koeman's era, infected and rotted the first team under both Puel and Pellegrino. Yes, Puel had to go, and so now does Pellegrino. But there needs to be far-reaching change higher up, and a return to the electrifying club we had only a few seasons back. Southampton needs corporate operational leadership that will rejuvenate the moribund academy as well as the first team.

Post of the week.

Pellegrino has been worse.

Giving both managers the same time, we've conceded 9 more goals but scored 4 more. So Puel certainly had us more organised but also more toothless. Puel has the edge especially considering we had more fixtures (although I can't forgive him for fielding weakened teams in the Europa league).

Having said that, we've been better than the tail end of last season where we failed to score in six of our last 7 matches. We seemed to get worse over the course of the season.

Personally, I find the argument over who was better pointless seeming as both failed to get the best out of the team.

Giving both managers the same time, we've conceded 9 more goals but scored 4 more. So Puel certainly had us more organised but also more toothless. Puel has the edge especially considering we had more fixtures (although i can't forgive him for fielding weakened teams in the Europa league).

Having said that, we've been better than the tail end of last season where we failed to score in six of our last 7 matches. We seemed to get worse over the course of last season.

Personally, I find the argument over who was better pointless seeming as both failed to get the best out of the team.

I see what you are saying, but lets flip this, maybe Puel was getting the best out of a team that was essentially not as good as we like to think it is. Reason: Lack of investment and poor buys. Responsibility ? Les and the board.

4 . Who voted to back him and why ?

If you click on the number of votes you can see who. As for the why? **** knows, not one single decent performance this season. Even the 4-1 win vs Everton was pretty mostly a poor performance against a team that were in the mire at the time. 4-1 utterly flattered us.

I see what you are saying, but lets flip this, maybe Puel was getting the best out of a team that was essentially not as good as we like to think it is. Reason: Lack of investment and poor buys. Responsibility ? Les and the board.

The ultimate blame definitely lies in the boards poor movement in the transfer window and their questionable appointments regarding staff and management. They need to learn that you can't go cheap in the league of BIG money.

Edited by Disco Stu

Spot on. We replaced Mane with a whole clutch of crocks and journeymen.

Pretty much this. Been saying Reed should go for 2 years now as it was very clear from some of his statements and videos that he was very complancy and in a comfort zone.

I'm hoping the Gao family are decisive and ruthless, and although we heard that they wanted not to disrupt the ethos of the club they do need to change some key person ell who are driven to succeed. Reed especially seems to be cruising to retirement and his no doubt huge pension. Far enough but unless he goes the club may well be in the same place it was when he arrived!!

Spot on. We replaced Mane with a whole clutch of crocks and journeymen.

That's rubbish I thought we replaced Mane with Boufal Juanami by Redmond Wanyama by PEH and then brought in Gabbi

Replaced Fonte by Hoedt and added Lemina

Not sure there is much wrong in theory with these signings

I did, I think Puel and and Pelligrino have proved we have a huge issue in our squad that goes far beyond the manager.

I can't really argue with that but it's the fact that he changes team and tactics EVERY week even when we have played well (ish) at least Puel had the excuse of European football.

As said in the other thread. He is just the fall guy for Reeds poor decisions and shadowy dealings. The poor guy doesn't even seem to know if vvd is being sold even after Les told him he wasn't but was not available to be picked to play. Just a poor gullable chump being thrown under the bus by Reed.

If you click on the number of votes you can see who. As for the why? **** knows, not one single decent performance this season. Even the 4-1 win vs Everton was pretty mostly a poor performance against a team that were in the mire at the time. 4-1 utterly flattered us.

There’s some poor deluded souls who wish we still had Burley in charge.

I don't think we have a poor squad. There are one or two positions where we could do with upgrades, but overall I believe we have a group of players who are capable of much better performances than they have been dishing up. I think that our squad evolution and investment over recent years was all geared towards signing players to play a particular system, and both Puel and Pellegrino have tried to get them playing a different way and it just hasn't worked. You could argue that a professional athlete should be more adaptable, but I don't believe our decline is the players' fault. A new manager who understands the demands of the PL and knows how to get the best out of his squad would be doing much better with what's available to him IMO.

The football wasn't great under Puel, but at least we were creating chances, just failing to take them. This year with the same group of players we are not creating enough chances let alone taking them, and that can only be down to the system they are being asked to play.

We won't improve under Pellegrino. We have failed to win the games we should and need to be winning against the teams around us, and that is because he hasn't set us up right. I understand the need for a defensive strategy against the top 6 sides, but we need to be fully taking the game to our opponents at home against our rivals, and the fact that we are still being ultra defensive and only playing one up front in these games is unacceptable.

Time for a change of manager.

I voted stay. Because I support the club .no amount of crying on a website is going to make any difference to those in charge. I know it is not a popular approach but patience is required and if we get relegated ....someone has to. SFC will still be there and I will still support them. To be perfectly honest I enjoyed the times we have spent in the lower divisions both now and back in 1974-78. Lawrie McMenemy got us relegated in his first season in charge and that didnt work out to bad.

I voted stay. Because I support the club .no amount of crying on a website is going to make any difference to those in charge. I know it is not a popular approach but patience is required and if we get relegated ....someone has to. SFC will still be there and I will still support them. To be perfectly honest I enjoyed the times we have spent in the lower divisions both now and back in 1974-78. Lawrie McMenemy got us relegated in his first season in charge and that didnt work out to bad.

You're allowed an opinion. Do you think he's doing well?

The point of the poll isn't to whinge and cry, it's to gauge opinion. Because it's interesting.

what’s really worrying is how poor we are at holding onto leads. Even wham game which we ended up winning it was after we’d blown a 2 goal lead. The football itself hasn’t been terrible especially of late though.

Given the quality I think we have the current points haul is very sub par.

The only card he has in his favour is the lack of an obvious candidate out there. As wba have shown just sacking a manager without having a good replacement up your sleeve is dodgy. So i’m Still somewhat on fence. I’ll wait to see what club decide. Just hope if they do sack him it isn’t just to appease the baying mob and they actually have a plan in place.

I agree, but the manager isn’t helping either. Puel got the very best out of a limited squad, Pellegrino has made them worse.

I think we got weaker (obviously) at end of 2015/16 season and the stood still in the last window. Most other squads have improved and now we’ve got a bang average squad, bang average manager, bang average stadium and bang average fans. There has been a massive arrogance in “the Southampton way” by some smug, complacent fat cats and as ever, the fans suffer while they walk away loaded. You’ve gotta love the premier league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon you'd of stayed on the Titanic because you believed it was unsinkable. Sometimes you need to open you eyes and see what's staring you in the face!!!

The bloke is clueless. Reed is past his sell by date and Kruger should go back to ice hockey. When we sink into Championship oblivion again will you change your mind?

I've supported Saints for over 40 years but I still have my own opinion. The last time I felt this strongly was this time last year!!!

I am struggling to give Pelligrino even a point. Should never have been appointed in the first place, there was nothing in his past credentials that indicated he could introduce exciting and positive football and ironically it has been even worse than what Puel produced.

For this reason I feel a bit sorry for Pelligrino as he should never have been approached for the job, it is like asking a car washer to service your engine. The fault lies straight in the laps of those who appointed him and they should get the hell outa dodge.

Next they will be hiring Pullis to bring fast attacking football.

Lets hope our new owners have advisors not associated with Reed and co as I fear for our safety if those clowns are their only source of guidance.

Edited by Saint Billy

We are not clicking. We do not look like clicking. We have got no-where near the side under Puel at our best, and we have brought in more players since then. Redmond and Tadic have regressed. Gabbiadini has gone from essential to a spare part. The best signs are whether players are improving under a managers guidance. None have progressed over half a season.

Sack him.

I reckon you'd of stayed on the Titanic because you believed it was unsinkable. Sometimes you need to open you eyes and see what's staring you in the face!!!

The bloke is clueless. Reed is past his sell by date and Kruger should go back to ice hockey. When we sink into Championship oblivion again will you change your mind?

I've supported Saints for over 40 years but I still have my own opinion. The last time I felt this strongly was this time last year!!!

Last post for me today.I couldnt care less what division we are in. In fact not having to watch the big six ponce about and fall over six times a year is quite appealing.

He’s clearly out of his depth. Still doesn’t know his best line up, looks to me like he is trying to stumble across a winning formula.

There is nothing in his CV to suggest he has the ability to get us out of this mess, his appointment was a gamble - just get rid.

The later we leave it the less of a chance the new guy will have if keeping us up, when I look at the fixture list I fear Reed’s dithering may already have cost us though.

I think we got weaker (obviously) at end of 2015/16 season and the stood still in the last window. Most other squads have improved and now we’ve got a bang average squad, bang average manager, bang average stadium and bang average fans. There has been a massive arrogance in “the Southampton way” by some smug, complacent fat cats and as ever, the fans suffer while they walk away loaded. You’ve gotta love the premier league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. This crisis did not happen overnight.