Spurs 5 Saints 2 - Post Match

St Chalet

Just for a bit the players seemed to give up with all that negative defensive pass it back rubbish that made them frightened to play. Rather bizarrely Saints could have had more than 2. But then again Spurs could have had more than 5. If that Lemina shot had sneaked in under the bar then who knows?

That's what happens when you allow an incompetent manager to destroy your very talented squad, and then hire an equally terrible manager straight after.

Only Puel wasn't incompetent. Defensive, yes - but then look at the players at his disposal. The current manager is, however, 100% incompetent.

He'll never get his head round it.

The point being that if Puel had been left in position and backed, we wouldn't be sliding into the relegation zone as 2017 draws to a close. The fact is we didn't have a European football-level manager ready to sign on the dotted line to replace him so he shouldn't have been sacked.

Spurs barely played above walking pace and still managed to score five. I hope two late consolation goalkeeping errors aren't going to falsely convince anyone that they can see green shoots of progress in the last 15 minutes.

Bit harsh to put Boufal's goal down to a goalkeeping error; it was a very decent strike from Boufal. You're right though, the two goals shouldn't delay the exit of Pellegrino.

The point being that if Puel had been left in position and backed, we wouldn't be sliding into the relegation zone as 2017 draws to a close. The fact is we didn't have a European football-level manager ready to sign on the dotted line to replace him so he shouldn't have been sacked.

That may be right but the whole "fans who wanted Puel out are getting what they deserved" is tiresome and wrong. Nobody asked for Pellegrino to be inflicted upon us.

That was simply embarrassing.

He has to go - how have we manag d to coach so many players into such regression? Forster, Romeu, Redmond, Gabbbiadini, long, Davis. All far worse today than 12-18 months ago. And now add lamina to the list. First game he was an immense presence, today a completely anonymous bystander.

In footballing terms, this is a proper crisis and needs some very quick decisive action.

That may be right but the whole "fans who wanted Puel out are getting what they deserved" is tiresome and wrong. Nobody asked for Pellegrino to be inflicted upon us.

Just for a bit the players seemed to give up with all that negative defensive pass it back rubbish that made them frightened to play. Rather bizarrely Saints could have had more than 2. But then again Spurs could have had more than 5. If that Lemina shot had sneaked in under the bar then who knows?
And Long put away his one on one. 2-2.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Are the five Spurs goals enough ammunition for the board to sack Pellegrino? I do hope so. When we first announced that we were signing him, I thought that they were talking of the other one, the silver fox that managed City. What a pity that it wasn't him instead of Mauricio P, Mk11, (but nowhere near in the same class), ex-international Argentinian CB.

It was nostalgic watching the original and best Mauricio demolish us with his trademark high press that used to entertain us so much.

Even the commentators were talking about how passive we were. A team plays in the character of its manager. Standing off the ball and not pressing hard has cost us dearly this season. We need a manager that believes in attacking the ball not passing it around until the opponents press takes it back. As soon as we got on the front foot and got the ball up front quickly and attacking the ball we were so much better. Forster has lost his way he is so hesitant he is a liability. Redmond's thoughtless back pass that opened us up was awful,

We need to get rid of Pellegrino for starters, change the goal keeping coach and apart from strengthening the side, play the strongest team all the time. I thought Romeu and Hojbjerg were better together but Lamina could be an attacking midfielder. For me add Long, Boufal and Gabbiadini and we have the makings of a competitive team.

Reminds me of Portvliet.

Poortvliet 32 points from 32 games with what was a diabolical squad for the championship and no money to spend. MP = 19 points from 20 matches with a side that a decent/average manager could easily guide to a higher position.

No cohesion. No drive. No urgency. Second to the ball most times. Dalying in possession. Static when attacking. Cumbersome when defending. Slow reactions all over the pitch. For me, that was a horror show. Either the players are being coached to play that way, or MoPe has completely lost any of the dressing room he had. Either way, I think his time is up. Even he should be praying for it now. I'm not normally one to call for a sacking, in fact I think time should be given in most cases, but the deterioration in our performances in terrifying. Surely it can't continue for any longer. We are in a relegation battle, and there seems to be an acceptance from the players, like it already a given. There is no fight, no character. Many of these players were challenging for European football not so long ago, so it stands to reason that they have the ability. I can see no other reason for our predicament than **** poor management. As much as I would love to see MoPe admit it is step too far for him and fall on his sword, it just isn't going to happen. He needs to be replaced poste haste, for his and the teams benefit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reminds me of Portvliet.

It's a different situation. Poortvliet was given a terrible squad. Even then, you could see what he was trying to do though and there was evidence of some positive coaching.

This squad is not one of the worst in the division but there is no evidence the manager has any clue how to do anything.

Spurs were excellent for the win and we are lucky to have conceded only 5.

Are Spurs better than Man City? It took them until 6 seconds past full time and added on time to beat us. For all that we were torn apart by Spurs, having Van-Dijk, Bertrand and Cedric alongside Hoedt and Yoshida might have made a difference. Unlucky not to have our first choice full backs, but Van-Dijk might have kept out Kane for one or more of his goals and might also have done something about the Son and Ali goals too.

I'm quite amazed that we scored two without Austin and those goals not being from a striker. Nearly had one courtesy of Rose too. Bertrand is a far better player than him.

He has to go; he's had long enough. We have a decent enough squad, with the exception of Redmond and Forster ( who seem to be the only certain picks each week yet have been ****ing abysmal).

The whole of the backroom staff needs an overhaul too. I really do hope Les has had a back up plan, otherwise relegation is a massive possibility

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

He has to go; he's had long enough. We have a decent enough squad, with the exception of Redmond and Forster ( who seem to be the only certain picks each week yet have been ****ing abysmal).

The whole of the backroom staff needs an overhaul too. I really do hope Les has had a back up plan, otherwise relegation is a massive possibility

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Les Reed's backup plan will be to appoint another yes man.

There’s not much else to say other than the performances are getting worse. All of the backwards and sideways passes in our own half against a high pressing team invite pressure. Forward passing and long balls over the high line are a way to deal with the pressing and surely one of the reasons to have Long’s pace and Redmond’s supposed pace is to exploit the high line.

This was a thrashing. I’m at the point where I am doubting the competence of the board in persisting with Pellegrino, who after an underwhelming start is proving to be a woefully inadequate manager. He needs to go before Man U, and the board better already have his replacement signed up.

They say it's the hope that kills. I've now passed the hope stage and moved into the reluctant acceptance that we are sh*** and are inevitably going down without so much as a whimper. But then I'm a pessimistic old Saints fan, unfortunately it appears that the Saints players have also lost faith in themselves and most importantly the manager. Just get rid of that useless idiot Mope, at least we can all get behind his replacement and give it a go no matter who it is.