Spurs 5 Saints 2 - Post Match

St Chalet

5 goals is an embarrassment. The worst part of today was how our defending seems to have declined. What's the point of keeping VVD to have him on the bench? Over recent years we've had a defence to be proud of. What's happened?

Nice to get two goals from open play. Something at least.

Mouth of in public then, would be poor but I repeat you have not idea what chats they had..... None at all

A lot of managers do it, depends on your definition. If you have what you need from your DoF fine but by comment consent Puel didn’t from two dreadful windows by Reed and Wilson. Remind me who got the sack in the summer - Reed or Puel.

I rest my case

It's basic stuff too. Romeu for the first goal lined up with Kane goal side if him and had no chance after that. He even pushed him to the ball. Get goal side and you give yourself a chance. Simple Sunday morning defending that shouldn't even need coaching. It's common sense more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's utterly embarrasing it's that bad. It's inexcusable when the mistakes are those that you'd try and cut out of a 12 year olds game! Not defending goalside against Kane, I mean ffs!!

Overplaying under pressure

Not putting enough on the ball when clearing

Trying to get something on the ball when they should just shield and see it out of play.

Terrible terrible defending.

It's micky mouse stuff.

Is there any evidence of this?

Let’s see:

Lots of rumours on here in RK final season of unhappiness of his management style and level of control despit top 6 finish

Reed’s ‘he’s done alright’ comment at awards dinner which brought astonished laughter

Guan and K Billy posts on a new or change of direction

Puel appointed but Redmond signed as a feeble Mane replacement well before he arrived

The dreadful August window leaving us with a record number of top flight games and 3 strikers. Puel is too intelligent to swallow the Redmond as a striker stuff but must have thought he had little choice

January’s dreadful window and the CB cock up

DoF tells manager in June to either change style or part company

Considering none of us really know who led on the appointments of Adkins and MP, it’s hard to know who to credit there. Reed got the credit for Koenan and wasn’t shy in lapping it up. Much slower in the press on his last 2 failures though yet both partially set to fail by being given unbalanced squads. The last 18 months dramatic slump coincides with the new direction. Perhaps you believe in coincidences - I’m not sure I do

Let’s see:

Lots of rumours on here in RK final season of unhappiness of his management style and level of control despit top 6 finish

Reed’s ‘he’s done alright’ comment at awards dinner which brought astonished laughter

Guan and K Billy posts on a new or change of direction

Puel appointed but Redmond signed as a feeble Mane replacement well before he arrived

The dreadful August window leaving us with a record number of top flight games and 3 strikers. Puel is too intelligent to swallow the Redmond as a striker stuff but must have thought he had little choice

January’s dreadful window and the CB cock up

DoF tells manager in June to either change style or part company

Considering none of us really know who led on the appointments of Adkins and MP, it’s hard to know who to credit there. Reed got the credit for Koenan and wasn’t shy in lapping it up. Much slower in the press on his last 2 failures though yet both partially set to fail by being given unbalanced squads. The last 18 months dramatic slump coincides with the new direction. Perhaps you believe in coincidences - I’m not sure I do

Sums it up well.

Reed won't let managers choose their own players... and if they do, it has to get past the transfer committee of Les, the hobbit etc so it's no surprise how unbalanced and ill-fitting some of our recruits have been

Literally no one in that team I see fighting for us in a relegation battle, such a weak team.

Agree, new manager will need to get some backbone in during January, plus some balance and pace for whatever their preferred system is, will mean lots of transfers out which I am not sad about in the slightest. Starting with VVD and Tadic hopefully

A lot of managers do it, depends on your definition. If you have what you need from your DoF fine but by comment consent Puel didn’t from two dreadful windows by Reed and Wilson. Remind me who got the sack in the summer - Reed or Puel.

I rest my case

Puel could not sack his boss could he?

There’s not much else to say other than the performances are getting worse. All of the backwards and sideways passes in our own half against a high pressing team invite pressure. Forward passing and long balls over the high line are a way to deal with the pressing and surely one of the reasons to have Long’s pace and Redmond’s supposed pace is to exploit the high line.

This was a thrashing. I’m at the point where I am doubting the competence of the board in persisting with Pellegrino, who after an underwhelming start is proving to be a woefully inadequate manager. He needs to go before Man U, and the board better already have his replacement signed up.

This is a very good post. I am dreading the long drive north on Saturday. Not sure how much came across on TV but the booing of Redmond was widespread, not just vocal minority, and the chant of “sacked in the morning” again had mass support. For those who travel to games we enjoyed good trips under Puel, 4 at Watford and Sunderland, 3 at Bournemouth and Wet Spam, wins at WBA, Boro, and of course fantastic wins in the League Cup at Arsenal and Liverpool. Previous season under RK wins at Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd etc. This season we have one away win, and the away fans are absolutely low as a snakes belly. Putting money and time in and minimum expectation is commitment. Currently I don’t see that commitment from too many. Redmond backing out of tackles, Lamina a shadow of his former self.

The historically poor decision to fire Puel was explained by some (albeit not those who know) as having lost the dressing room. So how are those precious wallflowers who didn’t like him getting on now?

We are sleepwalking to relegation under MP and he needs to go tonight.

Sadly, things are developing as I feared they would when we started the season so lethargically. We needed to come out of the blocks running hard but MP seemed to want to ease his way in with cautious football - exactly what we're meant to believe got CP the sack.

But not really surprising, from his track record. On balance I wanted to give Puel another season, or few months at least.

The stupid decision was, if we were going to change, to appoint a weaker version of the man we sacked. Which suggests that Les Reed and/or the black box are programmed to find a very definite style of manager.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

This is a very good post. I am dreading the long drive north on Saturday. Not sure how much came across on TV but the booing of Redmond was widespread, not just vocal minority, and the chant of “sacked in the morning” again had mass support. For those who travel to games we enjoyed good trips under Puel, 4 at Watford and Sunderland, 3 at Bournemouth and Wet Spam, wins at WBA, Boro, and of course fantastic wins in the League Cup at Arsenal and Liverpool. Previous season under RK wins at Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd etc. This season we have one away win, and the away fans are absolutely low as a snakes belly. Putting money and time in and minimum expectation is commitment. Currently I don’t see that commitment from too many. Redmond backing out of tackles, Lamina a shadow of his former self.

The historically poor decision to fire Puel was explained by some (albeit not those who know) as having lost the dressing room. So how are those precious wallflowers who didn’t like him getting on now?

We are sleepwalking to relegation under MP and he needs to go tonight.

Redmond booing was noticeable. Heard the “you’re not fit to wear the shirt” chants as well.

Puel could not sack his boss could he?

He could have lobbied for a 4th striker and a Fonte replacement though. Although it was hinted by one of the ITKs that Puel wanted to get rid of Fraser in the summer but Reed refused and inexplicably gave him a new 5 year deal. Reed should have been sacked for that alone. Puel is better off out of that - the fans aren’t so lucky

He could have lobbied for a 4th striker and a Fonte replacement though. Although it was hinted by one of the ITKs that Puel wanted to get rid of Fraser in the summer but Reed refused and inexplicably gave him a new 5 year deal. Reed should have been sacked for that alone. Puel is better off out of that - the fans aren’t so lucky

Do you claim to have contacts at the club or just cobbling bits and pieces from here?

That will not help his confidence, which must be fragile at this point.

Nor does getting up at 6am, to catch a coach at 7am to blow £100 plus for me and 2 lads to watch them roll over and get their stomachs tickled.

Redmond spends his time blaming everyone else during a game, left Targett exposed two against one all game

Let's see - when was this game lost?

Before we started - OK it is my opinion but here are my main thoughts about where it has been going wrong for the last season and a half.

1. Agent Power - Koeman and Van Dyke (both the same agent) sucked away (1 actually and 1 already mentally) and therefore the team distracted from building on the clubs 8 successive seasons of development and improvement before the season started.

2. Long-term Lack of Wisdom/Foresight from the Board - Puel without relevant experience was never going to succeed with his management style until he learnt the hard way - guess what - he has learnt but at Saint's expense - so what do they do but repeat the same mistake over again with this bloke who is clueless and inept.

3. Keeping Van Dyke in the summer when he was already gone in his head was madness - he should have been shipped out to anywhere other than Liverpool or even the Premiership at a reasonable price and the money invested in players that were committed to wanting to wear the shirt.

4. Playing Van Dyke over this season - again Madness! He has not only cost us goals but the team/mood is defeat orientated - if they were going to keep him then let him warm the subs bench in the reserves as a punishment and then get rid.

I'm sorry as many of you may disagree and write this off as a rant but these are the things that I have been thinking and saying for 18 months because I could see the way it could unfold and have seen all the good work of the past few years pretty much thrown away.

I am in despair about our situation and can only hope that the new owner will not accept this state of affairs - act now and get a manager in who can get the best out of the squad, move out the players who are not turning up and fill three key positions.

We need someone who 'gets' the Southampton way and is more astute in his tactics - otherwise we are down and everything the club has achieved prior to 18 months ago will have been for nothing!

That may be right but the whole "fans who wanted Puel out are getting what they deserved" is tiresome and wrong. Nobody asked for Pellegrino to be inflicted upon us.

Perhaps - but who else was available who was willing to come? The decision to sack Puell is coming back to bite us in the arse big time. We did not score many but we sure as hell did not concede many either. Sack Pelligrino by all means but who else do we bring in that is a) available and b) better.

Do you claim to have contacts at the club or just cobbling bits and pieces from here?

Partially drawing together what the seemingly more reliable ITKs - Guan, KBSS and LeG - have posted and my own observations of what I’ve seen. Pretty plain that only 3 strikers last season come September 16, one of them injury prone, one of them never the same since a major injury and the other never prolific - was madness and needed opposing or at least some oversight. The sale of Fonte was good business but quite why there wasn’t a succession plan even pre VVD injury is baffling and even the likes of MLG thought Reed had a disastrous window, hence the panic hire if Cacares. Some will shoot that down but the evidence on the pitch of a series of appalling errors is more than circumstantial and the club is clearly in some significant difficulties.

The only solution has to be MP gone and Reed banished from first team business. He needs to focus on the academy - that is drier than a river bed in July 1976

We 'virtually' drew with City if you discount the ET cheating. We drew with Arsenal. We thrashed Everton at heir worst. We are STILL the top of the "hit woodwork" league.

Personally I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet.

Retrospectively we should have sold VVD. Maybe the club caved to fan pressure. What is VVD achieving for us this season?

Very poor of the fans to boo Redmond. He's always been inconsistent and now seems to be lacking confidence when attacking, which he never used to. Pressure has made him worse.

Bollo*** he's a typical I couldn't give a f*** about the team, he's paid massive money and just maybe if he knuckled down and got on with it fans would appreciate him more, all he does is moan like fu** to other players thinking he's never wrong, he's a typical brainless rich footballer with a huge ego......

The body language of some of our 'players' told its own story.I also can't believe they scored from 'our' throw in in their half but they did.

Why not? The number of times our own corner becomes a counter attack for our opponents.

Long can **** off and all.

that's all I can add for now

I am no Long fan, but all I keep reading is that fans can forgive players for lacking ability as long as they show the right attitude and work rate (finger being firmly pointed at Redmond), but that's ********. We want talented players that work hard.

Long is not a goal scorer, he has never been one. He is a handy support striker to someone clinical/better (i.e Mane/Pelle) and he will probably chip in with the odd goal, but having him as a 'focal' point is destined to end as a faliure. Not sure why the club can't see that. Might as well just get shot of him.

Long is not a goal scorer, he has never been one. He is a handy support striker to someone clinical/better (i.e Mane/Pelle) and he will probably chip in with the odd goal, but having him as a 'focal' point is destined to end as a faliure. Not sure why the club can't see that. Might as well just get shot of him.

Agreed, but then Tadic, Redmond, Davis all fall into the same boat and are absolutely bloody useless. Boy did I swear at the TV screen when Tadic celebrated his goal.....sums him up.

Agreed, but then Tadic, Redmond, Davis all fall into the same boat and are absolutely bloody useless. Boy did I swear at the TV screen when Tadic celebrated his goal.....sums him up.

Pretty much, it shouldn't really be a surprise that we're strugging to score goals when those are our creative force. Boufal and Hoj should play every week for me, let them build up some understanding and form. Midfield 3 of Hoj, Lemina with Romeu sitting deepest. Boufal playing off of Gabbiadni and.....our new signing...(whoever that may be). Push Cedric and Bertrand forward to create the width, get Hoj and Lemina to cover full back when they push forward as they're the most mobile. We kinda played that way against Everton at home and it worked, but then we changed it again.

Although one positive, we haven't had many blanks recently.......it's just the other end that is screwed now.

I couldn't watch the game today (luckily for me, it appears) but I've seen a couple of comments from people being p!ssed at how Tadic celebrated his goal. What did he do exactly?

Celebrated it in quite an over the top manner given we were 5-1 down.

Pretty much, it shouldn't really be a surprise that we're strugging to score goals when those are our creative force. Boufal and Hoj should play every week for me, let them build up some understanding and form. Midfield 3 of Hoj, Lemina with Romeu sitting deepest. Boufal playing off of Gabbiadni and.....our new signing...(whoever that may be). Push Cedric and Bertrand forward to create the width, get Hoj and Lemina to cover full back when they push forward as they're the most mobile. We kinda played that way against Everton at home and it worked, but then we changed it again.

Although one positive, we haven't had many blanks recently.......it's just the other end that is screwed now.

Agree with you completely. Some stability would go a long way