Saints kit 1930,s - 1940,s

Matthew Le Tissier

Hi, just after a little help from anyone who has any old photos !!

I recently required a what is believed to be a Saints away shirt.

It came from a saints player who signed in 1940 and played until 47, then went to arsenal for 10 years and came back to us 58/59.

The family believe it’s a saints white away shirt.

From the research I’ve done I think it is to, late 30,s /40,s.

I know we had a white away, I’ve seen a team photo from 38/39 but after some more photos as mine has a double collar and it’s hard to tell from images I’ve seen of our shirt.

I think we would have only needed the white away against Brentford and maybe any cup games with clashes.

I have no idea how to attach a photo here but it can be seen on my Twitter @ saintsshirts

Reason I need to pin point a photo is it could also possibly be an arsenal shirt from 40,s when he won the league with them as they also used white away!!

The double collar should narrow it down , I’ve seen the Home shirt with a double collar so that’s a good sign, I think this shirt would have been supplied by toomers possibly ?

Would be nice to find a photo of the shirt also as once it’s confirmed will be going on display at the museum .

Any help would be appreciated

Pretty sure he's after some photographic evidence rather than a remade assimilation which is lacking a lot of the detail of the kit. I'd be guessing he almost certainly knows of these sites already too (except maybe the last one which rips an image directly from the source anyway which is here)...

If it's any help there's a 1940s home shirt team photo here:

which also shows the double collar on some of the players, appears to be from 47/48:
but I guess that's what you're referring to above? Edited by The9

Yes mate All spot on , that’s the time period of the shirt ! Just trying to find images of us using it!!

Wasn’t many teams we needed a change against though , Brentford was one but that came later I think ! Would have been used but finding a photo is proving hard! They are out there but where I don’t know !!