Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 350 of 479

Thread: Liverpool agree world-record £75m deal for Virgil van Dijk

  1. #301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Who said we have to before we buy?
    Subtext of the Wilson tweet about getting the money up front as we plan on buying in Jan.

    Is this a controversial interpretation? I assumed it was commonly accepted that our debt-laden owners don't have the proverbial pot to piddle in.

  2. #302

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,646

    Default

    They'll have a lot more debt unless they invest


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #303

    Default

    Seems to me as if the club wasted the Sky money on giving our underperforming players massive new deals

  4. #304

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,759
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The new Phil Babb.

  5. #305

    Default

    Should have been a condition of sale that Forster, Redmond and Tadic went with him.

  6. #306

    Default

    Always sad to see a player of his ability leave the club, but glad the whole thing is over with now.

  7. #307

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Contrast vvd with Morgan who moaned and then knuckled down and gave us a year of good service before departing with our thanks. Terrible from virgil and I wish him nothing but failure. I'm actually fed up of every player treating us like our club doesn't matter a jot. Depressing.
    It's not just us though, it's nearly all clubs. Few seem to care so it's foolish for any club to revel in it. There's a few more loyal players but it's rare. Players will ditch Liverpool for the real top sides, players leave Arsenal for more money, players ditch Spurs to win a title at City.

    I started watching in 93 and the money has had a real impact in the relationship between players and fans. You'd accept limited talent and hard work before and players knew they had to show commitment, there was more pride in wearing the shirt. You'd be watching people rich compared to normal life, but ultimately normal people who were very good at football. It's got more and more than you're just watching multi-millionaire idiots who happen to play football. Fans aren't going to be so patient or loyal to people like that and it's going to get worse. Paying big money to go and watch a thick multi-millionaire teenager put in a half arsed shift for a club you dreamt of playing for won't appeal forever.

    Personally I'm looking forward to the bubble bursting. Far too much hype and obsession with finances over actually trying to play football. If half the league are focused on getting 7 or 8 men behind the ball every game and keeping it tight it's really lost it's way. We were rubbish for years, but would usually have a go and attack. Yet so many fans have been brainwashed to think if you try and play football, you'll get relegated. If you try and win a cup, you'll get relegated. And relegated is death...if you ignore the fact that it's a really entertaining league with some great clubs to visit.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Seems to me as if the club wasted the Sky money on giving our underperforming players massive new deals
    It probably upped VvD's fee though.

  9. #309

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Was that the Cortese who flogged Alex Oxlade Chamberlain?
    I think we'd still have sold players, but we'd have kept some too. AOC being sold whilst we were in the Championship is hardly a benchmark for the wholesale flogging we've experienced whilst in the top division.

  10. #310

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    6,857

    Default

    Next time we play them send big Stu on up front for the last 5 mins to do him , I'll chip in for his fine and the ban won't matter

  11. #311

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Bordeaux
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Footballers are like anyone else in life; good or bad, rich or poor, some have integrity and class, some don't. Good riddance.

  12. #312

    Default

    Hopefully a large chunk of the money will be used as Pellegrino's compensation package.

  13. #313

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    24

    Default

    So we 'stand firm' in the summer and then Sell Out now whilst allowing a player and his agent get their way AND cost us morale, points and half a dozen league positions in the process!

    I cannot see that Reed can claim any integrity after this and the club has been made to look toothless after all their self-righteous posturing - anywhere BUT Liverpool and preferably abroad would have been acceptable even for 50m or 60m in the summer - then invest and build at that point.

    This way, despite the extra cash we still cow-tail to the bully clubs and have had the season ruined.

    Unless there is a miracle in our other transfers we will be unable to recover to the level of development and growth that we had attained before Koeman got poached (using the same agent) and we started employing managers who are not up to the job.

    I have wished most of our previous players well in the past even if I disagreed with their moves but as far as VVD is concerned I am so angry that I hope he crashes and burns with a ruined career before the season ends.

    Getting to the point where I wonder what the point is supporting the team or following the supposed sport anymore!

  14. Default

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...rgil-van-dijk/

    An update from the club's favourite journo - no sign of Pellegrino departing sadly.

  15. #315

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Meon Valley
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    We might as well go down and then bed in our youngsters and go back up. Build some up some momentum again with a new squad. Best we can hope for.

  16. #316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmp View Post
    So we 'stand firm' in the summer and then Sell Out now whilst allowing a player and his agent get their way AND cost us morale, points and half a dozen league positions in the process!

    I cannot see that Reed can claim any integrity after this and the club has been made to look toothless after all their self-righteous posturing - anywhere BUT Liverpool and preferably abroad would have been acceptable even for 50m or 60m in the summer - then invest and build at that point.

    This way, despite the extra cash we still cow-tail to the bully clubs and have had the season ruined.

    Unless there is a miracle in our other transfers we will be unable to recover to the level of development and growth that we had attained before Koeman got poached (using the same agent) and we started employing managers who are not up to the job.

    I have wished most of our previous players well in the past even if I disagreed with their moves but as far as VVD is concerned I am so angry that I hope he crashes and burns with a ruined career before the season ends.

    Getting to the point where I wonder what the point is supporting the team or following the supposed sport anymore!
    All driven by the Chinese. Want the money but only once they benefit. I’ll be amazed if we see more than a third of the headline figure reinvested in the next two windows. We needed to do this in the summer but realistically o can’t see Les getting too much quality in to arrest our slide in Jan.

    But on the flip side Van **** has backed the wrong horse. If city were in any way interested he would have been getting a free hit on the prem, at least one domestic cup and possibly the CL. Liverpool? No ducking chance at all in the near future.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    It's not just us though, it's nearly all clubs. Few seem to care so it's foolish for any club to revel in it. There's a few more loyal players but it's rare. Players will ditch Liverpool for the real top sides, players leave Arsenal for more money, players ditch Spurs to win a title at City.

    I started watching in 93 and the money has had a real impact in the relationship between players and fans. You'd accept limited talent and hard work before and players knew they had to show commitment, there was more pride in wearing the shirt. You'd be watching people rich compared to normal life, but ultimately normal people who were very good at football. It's got more and more than you're just watching multi-millionaire idiots who happen to play football. Fans aren't going to be so patient or loyal to people like that and it's going to get worse. Paying big money to go and watch a thick multi-millionaire teenager put in a half arsed shift for a club you dreamt of playing for won't appeal forever.

    Personally I'm looking forward to the bubble bursting. Far too much hype and obsession with finances over actually trying to play football. If half the league are focused on getting 7 or 8 men behind the ball every game and keeping it tight it's really lost it's way. We were rubbish for years, but would usually have a go and attack. Yet so many fans have been brainwashed to think if you try and play football, you'll get relegated. If you try and win a cup, you'll get relegated. And relegated is death...if you ignore the fact that it's a really entertaining league with some great clubs to visit.
    Plus one for me. I’m sick of the ‘who are ‘ya?’ Culture from mindless away Neanderthals whose success is pretty much directly proportional to the owner’s whim eg United sending us down in 05 when their striker cost as much as our entire squad pretty much or Liverpool sense of entitlement when nicking an away win yet Suarez and Carroll costing more than our ****ing stadium. PL is a disgrace and the fair play rules can tuck themselves up Abramovich’s tight A hole, dip the parchment in kerosene and light the ****ing lot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #318

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Llandrinegddino
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintadam View Post
    Cheer up we got 75 million ffs. The club has done absolutely brilliant business here.
    Wooo! Can’t wait to see the open top bus parade for winning the transfer window

  19. #319

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,294

    Default

    Lovren can’t be too happy.

  20. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...rgil-van-dijk/

    An update from the club's favourite journo - no sign of Pellegrino departing sadly.
    True, but it's not the worst quote ever:

    The structure and timing of the transfer reflects Southampton’s desire to now make major signings of their own and they are committed to reinvesting the entire fee. They hope to add an attacking player next week and are also lining up other deals.

  21. #321

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    6,857

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1514412461112.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	2577 what a **** Fonte turned out eh !

  22. #322

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...rgil-van-dijk/

    An update from the club's favourite journo - no sign of Pellegrino departing sadly.
    Oh, so the reason Pellegrino is ta tactically clueless was that VVD was hanging around making a bad smell. Now he has gone he will be Pep. Righhht


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. Default

    Isn't Fonte just pointing out to Bertrand that we've sold yet another of our top players. And showed a total lack of ambition. So if you ever want to win anything you need to leave? He's right. But not to West Ham (though as bad as they are they are only 1 pt below us).

  24. #324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmp View Post
    Getting to the point where I wonder what the point is supporting the team or following the supposed sport anymore!
    Couldn't agree more the big 6 are killing the game and the smaller clubs have no chance competing against them if they come in for one of there players, guess its a fact of life for smaller clubs but it will not last forever if enough people vote with there feet and stay away then this bubble will burst and we'll see how the top 6 cope then, it can't come soon enough for my liking.

  25. #325

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Grinding, not spinning up Alpe d'Huez
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Been thinking for a long time. Why Liverpool, why so often? Taking each transfer Lallana has had one reasonably good season in three but has never hit the heights he did with us, Lovren has just been a disaster, and Clyne can't get a game. The only player with world class potential, and I stress potential, to make the move was Mane who has done OK. So what have the bin dippers got out of it all. Effectively, and because they can they seem to have bought from us to stop us from progressing and threatening their presence in the top echelons of the Premier League. In 2014 under Pochettino we were the next big thing, unfortunately because we didn't have the financial clout to back it up we were deemed to have forgotten our place in the football food chain. This is payback. A reminder of where we belong. Personally I think the board played a blinder with the six year contract as a means to extract the highest possible fee and just should have acknowledged that it was put in place to do exactly that, rather than go through the charade of the last six months.

  26. #326

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,646

    Default

    Oh. We played a blinder. Righto


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  27. #327

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Grinding, not spinning up Alpe d'Huez
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IOWSaintDaz View Post
    Couldn't agree more the big 6 are killing the game and the smaller clubs have no chance competing against them if they come in for one of there players, guess its a fact of life for smaller clubs but it will not last forever if enough people vote with there feet and stay away then this bubble will burst and we'll see how the top 6 cope then, it can't come soon enough for my liking.
    Just keep the faith. It's never really been any different.

  28. #328

    Default

    Glad to get a good fee, get it early and especially glad to hear we’re reinvesting it all.

    We’ll see in time what impact the saga was having on team spirit.

  29. #329

    Default

    Glad it's all over with, just hope we hurry up with the signings and don't **** around like we have done in previous windows!

  30. #330

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    Glad it's all over with, just hope we hurry up with the signings and don't **** around like we have done in previous windows!
    Prepare to be underwhelmed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #331

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 34
    Posts
    2,702
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Just hope Les has been working as hard on new signings as he has on selling our best player. Christ, we could do with some good news after the last week. Top scorer out long term, spanked on Boxing Day and now sold our best player (admittedly for a huge fee but means nothing to us fans if it’s not used to improve things on the pitch).

  32. #332

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,735
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Great fee, more than even I expected - accepted he was going soon a week ago, slightly perturbed he's gone to Liverpool but overall decent business - removes one of the obvious sources of difficulty in the squad.

    Now let's see if anyone else is going and whether/where we reinvest in the squad.

  33. #333

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Blackfield, Southampton
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Just hope Les has been working as hard on new signings as he has on selling our best player. Christ, we could do with some good news after the last week. Top scorer out long term, spanked on Boxing Day and now sold our best player (admittedly for a huge fee but means nothing to us fans if it’s not used to improve things on the pitch).
    This is exactly correct. As much as I'm annoyed it's to bloody Liverpool at least the board got an amazing deal. Would like to think that we will bring a replacement in.

  34. #334

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,735
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnersaint View Post
    Been thinking for a long time. Why Liverpool, why so often?
    My theory on this is because they're the only club with the money to spend that are convinced they will actually improve their squad with some of our best players. They don't seem to have any recruitment plan other than "signing good players and hoping they fit". They are to West Ham as Spurs are to us. Same approach, more money.

  35. #335

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,766
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katalinic View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...rgil-van-dijk/

    An update from the club's favourite journo - no sign of Pellegrino departing sadly.
    Ffs we don't need a fresh start- we need to rid ourselves of this awful manager.

  36. #336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Prepare to be underwhelmed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I know, it's the hope that kills....

  37. #337

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    53 miles west of venus
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    Won't we have to shift some more players out of the PL squad in order to bring new players in?

  38. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teamsaint View Post
    Won't we have to shift some more players out of the PL squad in order to bring new players in?
    That's a good point actually.

  39. #339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teamsaint View Post
    Won't we have to shift some more players out of the PL squad in order to bring new players in?
    VVD and long potentially frees up 2 spaces, can only see us bringing in 2/3 players max anyway

  40. #340

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 34
    Posts
    2,702
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Ffs we don't need a fresh start- we need to rid ourselves of this awful manager.
    Exactly - did the VVD situation force him into bizarre midfield selections, implementing no discernible shape or style and us generally being a pretty crap side? He hasn’t been in or around the squad for the last two games and we’ve been woeful. If MP gets a stay of execution because of VVD then Virgil has done us even more damage than we first thought. Makes me sick to think we are not even close to sacking the clown.

  41. #341

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The9 View Post
    My theory on this is because they're the only club with the money to spend that are convinced they will actually improve their squad with some of our best players. They don't seem to have any recruitment plan other than "signing good players and hoping they fit". They are to West Ham as Spurs are to us. Same approach, more money.
    The worst thing is that VVD will make a massive difference. And they'll be well in profit after Coutinho goes to Barca. All after the way they acted, and we got huffy about for a bit. And then bent over to accept the readies. Despicable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #342

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Just hope Les has been working as hard on new signings as he has on selling our best player.
    Hope to **** he has been working harder than that. How hard was it to call Liverpool and say, "£75m and he's yours"?

  43. #343

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Grinding, not spinning up Alpe d'Huez
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Makes me sick to think we are not even close to sacking the clown.
    Make sure you put a bucket or a bowl by the side of your bed tonight then.

  44. #344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Oh, so the reason Pellegrino is ta tactically clueless was that VVD was hanging around making a bad smell. Now he has gone he will be Pep. Righhht


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It just shows how desperate they are to clutch at any straw rather than face the fact this manager is a complete **** up.

  45. #345

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Block 34
    Posts
    2,702
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beatlesaint View Post
    It just shows how desperate they are to clutch at any straw rather than face the fact this manager is a complete **** up.
    Ridiculous that we will let him oversee possibly the most significant month we’ve had since we went down. Cock this up and we are toast. A loss against United is inevitable so we need a big performance against Palace. We won’t get it from Pell.

  46. #346

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South of the middle of Mid Devon
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Glad it's all done and dusted. Ridiculous fee that you have to give credit to our management team for negotiating.

    We'll see if he actually wins anything there. Lallana, Lovren etc have won bugger all so far...

    Fingers crossed we can get a couple of new faces in and get moving in the right direction.

  47. #347

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,646

    Default

    Vvd will be happy he's finally with his fwend wilnajdum. Diddums


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #348

    Default

    Can’t believe some are moaning about this. £75 million, world record, is great business and may help attract a good replacement soon with a war chest for MP replacement. I hate seeing good players move on but he hasn’t been the same player this season as we all know.

  49. #349

    Default

    Great bit of business to get £70 - £75m for the snake but by god we'd better invest that money wisely. New manager required and the squad's in a **** state.

  50. #350

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,766
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Ridiculous that we will let him oversee possibly the most significant month we’ve had since we went down. Cock this up and we are toast. A loss against United is inevitable so we need a big performance against Palace. We won’t get it from Pell.
    Lose to Palace and he won't be staying surely.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •