Liverpool agree world-record £75m deal for Virgil van Dijk

SuperSAINT

The only thing that ultimately worries me about this whole saga is that, after Saints made a very principled stand against tapping-up and grasping agents encouraging transfer requests, tantrums, strikes and go-slows to get what they want, it's happened anyway.

Something really has to be done to restore a shred of integrity to the game.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Saints, along with 99% of clubs, are not in a position to turn down £75m.....for long anyway.

What on earth was the point in poisoning the dressing room, having him mincing around for weeks, just to sell him in Jan. Poor poor decision to dig our heels in during the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. It’s easier to recruit players with the money in the summer, as well.

The only thing that ultimately worries me about this whole saga is that, after Saints made a very principled stand against tapping-up and grasping agents encouraging transfer requests, tantrums, strikes and go-slows to get what they want, it's happened anyway.

Something really has to be done to restore a shred of integrity to the game.

I agree with this as well. VVD has shown that if a player acts sufficiently reprehensibly, he will get what he wants.

Pathetic decision. Well your best player when you are in a relegation battle. Don't know what is worse us selling or people thinking we will actually put that money back into the team...

If you think a club like saints would ever be able to turn down that amount of cash for a wantaway player who is affecting morale then quite frankly you are a moron.

Wow that is an awful lot of money and so fair play in achieving the sale price. Now, who gets to spend that kind of money plus any past profits ? Suspect any potential players we show interest in have just gone up in value by £10m or so...gulp.... Losing 5-2 to Spurs will also indicate that we DO NEED to spend and that will also add to any value we are asked to pay ..... Oh well, not my money and so spend it and see what happens. Have fun and looking forward to January to see what happens.

It’s difficult to evaluate the deal without knowing the details but it does rather seem like we pulled their trousers down in public. For that reason I can overlook the whole he’s going to the arseholes that tapped him up bit.

In what way? We've sold them our best player. I'd rather have him than any money

A bit torn on this one. On one hand:

1. This is an incredible fee for a club of our size.

2. This is a great opportunity for the club to sort itself out after some less than impressive decisions the last 18 months. Considering our predicament, its lucky as well. Don't mess it up Saints.

3. He wasn't playing like a £75m player at all, though I'd argue him sulking and playing still means hes a better players than his central defensive colleagues this season.

On the other hand:

1. We said we wouldn't sell to Liverpool and we are.

2. It's an example of the board standing strong and the player winning. You can't always control how a player reacts of course, but Saints don't look too clever.

3. It's another numbing example of how Saints will never amount to anything big - we had chances to break through and players still wanted to leave. That is perhaps one of the biggest disappointments - we all know the reality of course, but secretly we all hope Saints can push on. A few opportunities the last 4 years have gone because the game simply doesn't allow a club to challenge the established hierarchy.

"I can’t wait to pull on the famous red shirt for the first time in front of the Kop and will give everything I have"

Which is obviously what I have been careful not to do for the last three months.

And I know now how to force through a move. Can't wait to do it again.

In what way? We've sold them our best player. I'd rather have him than any money

That amount of money (if spent competently) can get us a decent replacement, and get us the decent attacking players we sorely need. There’s a few ifs in there, but ultimately VVD did not want to play for the team.

If you think a club like saints would ever be able to turn down that amount of cash for a wantaway player who is affecting morale then quite frankly you are a moron.

Affecting morale?! What a load of rubbish. I guess Morgan and Wanyama affected morale too right? As for the second part are you seriously saying we couldn't wait until the summer?! Think it's you who is the moron if you believe that.

#YNWA at present I wouldn't mind if it was Youll never walk again, but its only football and have to live with it.

I console myself that every goal that Liverpool let in now, will be dissected to see if it is VVD's fault. He will be right in the microscope

No point in keeping your best player if he isn't prepared to be your best player (in terms of performance). The club were right to keep him in the summer mind, a stand needed to be made, and one simply couldn't predict that the guy would sulk indefinitely. Edit: and that we would be in such a precarious position. Far easier to hold firm when relegation isn't a possibility.

Edited by Donatello

I bet you believe in Santa as well. I don't believe the fee for one minute. What do Celtic get and what are the add ons. Face saving BS if you ask me

According to Blackmore the vast majority is guaranteed...

It’s my understanding the vast majority of the 75M is guaranteed.

Re-investment is needed by #saintsfc and will boost squad and fans.

@VirgilvDijk could be the most commanding centre-back in @premierleague at his best.

Pity the summer mess damaged his reputation.

Affecting morale?! What a load of rubbish. I guess Morgan and Wanyama affected morale too right? As for the second part are you seriously saying we couldn't wait until the summer?! Think it's you who is the moron if you believe that.

Did either of them hand in a transfer request? Did either of them play noticeably badly during the time they wanted to leave? The fact is a club like saints would never be able to turn down that amount of money and no we can't wait until the summer to sell a player that hasn't done an awful lot this year and whose sale will actually allow us to bring in some quality that we clearly need to prevent us being relegated. VVD could get an ACL injury had we decided to keep him until the summer and we are simply too small a club to turn down 75 fecking million for any player.

Bertrand next?

Needs careful handling: we don't want another disrupted summer. I'd tell him now that, if he gives 100% for the rest of the season, he can go for an acceptable offer.

Agreed, I think McQueen can be a quality premier league left back anyway.

Did either of them hand in a transfer request? Did either of them play noticeably badly during the time they wanted to leave? The fact is a club like saints would never be able to turn down that amount of money and no we can't wait until the summer to sell a player that hasn't done an awful lot this year and whose sale will actually allow us to bring in some quality that we clearly need to prevent us being relegated. VVD could get an ACL injury had we decided to keep him until the summer and we are simply too small a club to turn down 75 fecking million for any player.
I agree, VVD has not shown that he is anywhere near the player he was

well at least we have helped stop them make a challenge for the league this season.
But helped to get us relegated. I know which is more important to me!

It's disgusting, but he's proved that he no longer gave a toss about Saints, would only ever play at about 50% and was happy to see the club fall apart thanks to his disruptive influence.

Blimey. That is a lot of cash.

Good work Saints.

Now invest it properly. And soon.

The challenge of course is that the price of our targets just went up!

I'd have hoped we've already got 1 or 2 of our 'main' targets quite far down the line, the release of this news was seemingly on both parties wishes.

That's a boat load of cash. All up front I hope. It's also a nice carrot to dangle in front of any prospective managers as a transfer fund. Oh, and good riddance VvD you have been crap since you came back from injury.

But helped to get us relegated. I know which is more important to me!

It's disgusting, but he's proved that he no longer gave a toss about Saints, would only ever play at about 50% and was happy to see the club fall apart thanks to his disruptive influence.

Perhaps now we may get a couple of players to stop relegation. I don't believe that he is the major reason of our fall

Thought Reed said we don't need to sell anyone anymore due to the amount we get through tv deals?

I think the important question which that guy was alluding to is it's a great deal if we get to spend it. If we don't we have just made a relegation threatened team weaker. I don't think that is moronic imo.