Liverpool agree world-record £75m deal for Virgil van Dijk

SuperSAINT

So we 'stand firm' in the summer and then Sell Out now whilst allowing a player and his agent get their way AND cost us morale, points and half a dozen league positions in the process!

I cannot see that Reed can claim any integrity after this and the club has been made to look toothless after all their self-righteous posturing - anywhere BUT Liverpool and preferably abroad would have been acceptable even for 50m or 60m in the summer - then invest and build at that point.

This way, despite the extra cash we still cow-tail to the bully clubs and have had the season ruined.

Unless there is a miracle in our other transfers we will be unable to recover to the level of development and growth that we had attained before Koeman got poached (using the same agent) and we started employing managers who are not up to the job.

I have wished most of our previous players well in the past even if I disagreed with their moves but as far as VVD is concerned I am so angry that I hope he crashes and burns with a ruined career before the season ends.

Getting to the point where I wonder what the point is supporting the team or following the supposed sport anymore!

So we 'stand firm' in the summer and then Sell Out now whilst allowing a player and his agent get their way AND cost us morale, points and half a dozen league positions in the process!

I cannot see that Reed can claim any integrity after this and the club has been made to look toothless after all their self-righteous posturing - anywhere BUT Liverpool and preferably abroad would have been acceptable even for 50m or 60m in the summer - then invest and build at that point.

This way, despite the extra cash we still cow-tail to the bully clubs and have had the season ruined.

Unless there is a miracle in our other transfers we will be unable to recover to the level of development and growth that we had attained before Koeman got poached (using the same agent) and we started employing managers who are not up to the job.

I have wished most of our previous players well in the past even if I disagreed with their moves but as far as VVD is concerned I am so angry that I hope he crashes and burns with a ruined career before the season ends.

Getting to the point where I wonder what the point is supporting the team or following the supposed sport anymore!

All driven by the Chinese. Want the money but only once they benefit. I’ll be amazed if we see more than a third of the headline figure reinvested in the next two windows. We needed to do this in the summer but realistically o can’t see Les getting too much quality in to arrest our slide in Jan.

But on the flip side Van **** has backed the wrong horse. [emoji23]If city were in any way interested he would have been getting a free hit on the prem, at least one domestic cup and possibly the CL. Liverpool? No ducking chance at all in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just us though, it's nearly all clubs. Few seem to care so it's foolish for any club to revel in it. There's a few more loyal players but it's rare. Players will ditch Liverpool for the real top sides, players leave Arsenal for more money, players ditch Spurs to win a title at City.

I started watching in 93 and the money has had a real impact in the relationship between players and fans. You'd accept limited talent and hard work before and players knew they had to show commitment, there was more pride in wearing the shirt. You'd be watching people rich compared to normal life, but ultimately normal people who were very good at football. It's got more and more than you're just watching multi-millionaire idiots who happen to play football. Fans aren't going to be so patient or loyal to people like that and it's going to get worse. Paying big money to go and watch a thick multi-millionaire teenager put in a half arsed shift for a club you dreamt of playing for won't appeal forever.

Personally I'm looking forward to the bubble bursting. Far too much hype and obsession with finances over actually trying to play football. If half the league are focused on getting 7 or 8 men behind the ball every game and keeping it tight it's really lost it's way. We were rubbish for years, but would usually have a go and attack. Yet so many fans have been brainwashed to think if you try and play football, you'll get relegated. If you try and win a cup, you'll get relegated. And relegated is death...if you ignore the fact that it's a really entertaining league with some great clubs to visit.

Plus one for me. I’m sick of the ‘who are ‘ya?’ Culture from mindless away Neanderthals whose success is pretty much directly proportional to the owner’s whim eg United sending us down in 05 when their striker cost as much as our entire squad pretty much or Liverpool sense of entitlement when nicking an away win yet Suarez and Carroll costing more than our ****ing stadium. PL is a disgrace and the fair play rules can tuck themselves up Abramovich’s tight A hole, dip the parchment in kerosene and light the ****ing lot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/27/liverpool-agree-world-record-75m-deal-virgil-van-dijk/

An update from the club's favourite journo - no sign of Pellegrino departing sadly.

True, but it's not the worst quote ever:

The structure and timing of the transfer reflects Southampton’s desire to now make major signings of their own and they are committed to reinvesting the entire fee. They hope to add an attacking player next week and are also lining up other deals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/27/liverpool-agree-world-record-75m-deal-virgil-van-dijk/

An update from the club's favourite journo - no sign of Pellegrino departing sadly.

Oh, so the reason Pellegrino is ta tactically clueless was that VVD was hanging around making a bad smell. Now he has gone he will be Pep. Righhht

Couldn't agree more the big 6 are killing the game and the smaller clubs have no chance competing against them if they come in for one of there players, guess its a fact of life for smaller clubs but it will not last forever if enough people vote with there feet and stay away then this bubble will burst and we'll see how the top 6 cope then, it can't come soon enough for my liking.

Been thinking for a long time. Why Liverpool, why so often? Taking each transfer Lallana has had one reasonably good season in three but has never hit the heights he did with us, Lovren has just been a disaster, and Clyne can't get a game. The only player with world class potential, and I stress potential, to make the move was Mane who has done OK. So what have the bin dippers got out of it all. Effectively, and because they can they seem to have bought from us to stop us from progressing and threatening their presence in the top echelons of the Premier League. In 2014 under Pochettino we were the next big thing, unfortunately because we didn't have the financial clout to back it up we were deemed to have forgotten our place in the football food chain. This is payback. A reminder of where we belong. Personally I think the board played a blinder with the six year contract as a means to extract the highest possible fee and just should have acknowledged that it was put in place to do exactly that, rather than go through the charade of the last six months.

Couldn't agree more the big 6 are killing the game and the smaller clubs have no chance competing against them if they come in for one of there players, guess its a fact of life for smaller clubs but it will not last forever if enough people vote with there feet and stay away then this bubble will burst and we'll see how the top 6 cope then, it can't come soon enough for my liking.

Just keep the faith. It's never really been any different.

Just hope Les has been working as hard on new signings as he has on selling our best player. Christ, we could do with some good news after the last week. Top scorer out long term, spanked on Boxing Day and now sold our best player (admittedly for a huge fee but means nothing to us fans if it’s not used to improve things on the pitch).

Great fee, more than even I expected - accepted he was going soon a week ago, slightly perturbed he's gone to Liverpool but overall decent business - removes one of the obvious sources of difficulty in the squad.

Now let's see if anyone else is going and whether/where we reinvest in the squad.

Just hope Les has been working as hard on new signings as he has on selling our best player. Christ, we could do with some good news after the last week. Top scorer out long term, spanked on Boxing Day and now sold our best player (admittedly for a huge fee but means nothing to us fans if it’s not used to improve things on the pitch).

This is exactly correct. As much as I'm annoyed it's to bloody Liverpool at least the board got an amazing deal. Would like to think that we will bring a replacement in.

Been thinking for a long time. Why Liverpool, why so often?

My theory on this is because they're the only club with the money to spend that are convinced they will actually improve their squad with some of our best players. They don't seem to have any recruitment plan other than "signing good players and hoping they fit". They are to West Ham as Spurs are to us. Same approach, more money.

Ffs we don't need a fresh start- we need to rid ourselves of this awful manager.

Exactly - did the VVD situation force him into bizarre midfield selections, implementing no discernible shape or style and us generally being a pretty crap side? He hasn’t been in or around the squad for the last two games and we’ve been woeful. If MP gets a stay of execution because of VVD then Virgil has done us even more damage than we first thought. Makes me sick to think we are not even close to sacking the clown.

My theory on this is because they're the only club with the money to spend that are convinced they will actually improve their squad with some of our best players. They don't seem to have any recruitment plan other than "signing good players and hoping they fit". They are to West Ham as Spurs are to us. Same approach, more money.

The worst thing is that VVD will make a massive difference. And they'll be well in profit after Coutinho goes to Barca. All after the way they acted, and we got huffy about for a bit. And then bent over to accept the readies. Despicable.

Oh, so the reason Pellegrino is ta tactically clueless was that VVD was hanging around making a bad smell. Now he has gone he will be Pep. Righhht

It just shows how desperate they are to clutch at any straw rather than face the fact this manager is a complete **** up.

It just shows how desperate they are to clutch at any straw rather than face the fact this manager is a complete **** up.

Ridiculous that we will let him oversee possibly the most significant month we’ve had since we went down. Cock this up and we are toast. A loss against United is inevitable so we need a big performance against Palace. We won’t get it from Pell.

Glad it's all done and dusted. Ridiculous fee that you have to give credit to our management team for negotiating.

We'll see if he actually wins anything there. Lallana, Lovren etc have won bugger all so far...

Fingers crossed we can get a couple of new faces in and get moving in the right direction.

Can’t believe some are moaning about this. £75 million, world record, is great business and may help attract a good replacement soon with a war chest for MP replacement. I hate seeing good players move on but he hasn’t been the same player this season as we all know.

It's amazing really how, since Leicester upset the apple cart, the natural ordered has been restored through hundreds and hundreds of millions of pounds investment in those big clubs (still not enough according to Jose).

That season where the big clubs struggled has triggered inflation resulting today in £75 million being spent on a defender!

Meanwhile the rest of the league have become ****e, scrabbling around trying to concede as few as possible, and just bit parts in the overall product, which is those 6 teams.

Can’t believe some are moaning about this. £75 million, world record, is great business and may help attract a good replacement soon with a war chest for MP replacement. I hate seeing good players move on but he hasn’t been the same player this season as we all know.

The problem is that the club may be treating it as a war chest for Pellegrino, not his replacement.

I don’t know why everyone is saying it’s £75m. If the figures in the press are correct we get £63m (Celtic get 10%) with possibly a further £4.5m to follow .Still a lot but it’s not £75m.
Everyone is saying £75m because it is the reported figure: £70m plus £5m add-ons (which feels low for add ons).

We have to give Celtic the sell-on, fair enough. But all the reports are pretty consistent with the £75m figure.

£70m without the add ons is mental money for a centre back.

Everyone is saying £75m because it is the reported figure: £70m plus £5m add-ons (which feels low for add ons).

We have to give Celtic the sell-on, fair enough. But all the reports are pretty consistent with the £75m figure.

£70m without the add ons is mental money for a centre back.

NO idea about the Celtic one. Who knows, maybe we got LFC to stump that up as well.