Liverpool agree world-record £75m deal for Virgil van Dijk

SuperSAINT

Strange to have a deal announced so early before the window opens too.
I guess the club decided they were conceding and didn't want another saga like the summer. Get it over with and move on.

And, if the promise to reinvest is genuine, gives us time to buy. Albeit at stupid prices as everyone knows we need fresh blood and have money.

Which is why I seriously hope we already have two or three deals tied up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thought Reed said we don't need to sell anyone anymore due to the amount we get through tv deals?

I think the important question which that guy was alluding to is it's a great deal if we get to spend it. If we don't we have just made a relegation threatened team weaker. I don't think that is moronic imo.

That's just PR speak like most of the stuff coming out of the club but are people seriously trying to suggest that Reed should turn down 75 million for a defender with reportedly the majority up front? That's probably a third of the clubs entire worth in one player! These are enormous sums and no business in their right mind- because that is what it is- would ever turn down that amount. Are the people moaning about this also the same people who wanted to force VVD to play with the kids all season? Things like that just don't happen in the real world and the club can talk all they like about not having to sell but as even Neymar showed, every player has their price.

Oh and the guy never mentioned anything about not spending it. No club our size would turn down that amount- lets not pretend otherwise.

75 million? Jesus ****ing christ! Does he need a lift up there? For that much I'll drive him!

Guy didn't play well for the whole of 2017. He has a dreadful attitude. Cannot believe they got 75m for him!

Look forward to seeing how he copes in a team that attacks and without 2 holding midfielders in front of him. From memory, Dejan Lovren has found life up there a little tougher than he did down here.

Lovren, Clyne, VVD, Mané, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain

They're literally going to be able to line up against us with more than half their team ex Saints, five of them bought directly from us.

Good price, really good price, but **** off, that's ****ing ridiculous.

No doubt it’s a lot more money (50%) than they wanted to pay so that’s something. But I’m still sick that he’s going there. I so wanted all those Liverpool-luvvies in the media to be wrong, not to mention all their self-righteous fans.

I also think he will make them significantly better, has been amusing seeing them fall apart at the back time and again.

I am very angry at the board, they know a sale to Liverpool will be hard to stomach for the fan base yet they still went ahead with it.

Got to laugh at his desperation to join an also-ran. Bizarre. Might win a league cup or something if he's lucky.

I think they're better than united and not far behind chelsea while tottenham are vulnerable if they lose one or two players. City are currently head and shoulders above the rest; but they blow hot and cold, so no guarantees they will dominate again next season.

Lovren, Clyne, VVD, Mané, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain

They're literally going to be able to line up against us with more than half their team ex Saints, five of them bought directly from us.

Good price, really good price, but **** off, that's ****ing ridiculous.

what have they won though, except a massive wage. Strangely enough they could have won a trophy here if they had stayed, but of course its not really about trophies, just money

Would add Lemina but that's about it.
And potentially Hojbjerg and last season's Romeu. Cedric could be attractive.

And a few more if the whole team gets motivated by a decent manager and starts playing to their potential.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Crabby, you seem very confident of this statement.Where do you think he is going???

Usual plausible deniability horse**** from the grandmaster of stating the obvious. Everyone knows he's off at some point - the question is whether he's leaving this january or in the summer.

Looks like Bertrand is off as well judging by fontes comment on VVD's instagram. Anyone who thinks fonte is a "saints legend" needs to think again

Is there anyone who thinks that he is? Always assumed everyone was in agreement he’s a massive, massive **** and Dani Osvaldo should’ve done him in properly.

Well if they are prepared to fork out £75 million then I’m happy to drop my “anyone but Liverpool” stance.

This. Just found out about it as been asleep since finishing work at 3. In the summer I said I'd sell to anyone if we got £70 million plus, as it shows we won't be bullied. We've got more than we wanted. Liverpool have paid a premium to get a player that's rarely had a good game in a year, and I'm pleased. Yes it smacks of Alan Shearer/record transfer syndrome, but we do need to invest in the team and this will help. Of course I'd have preferred it weren't to Liverpool but at least they put their money where their mouth is.

Virgil throwing his toys out the pram in the summer is everything that's wrong with the game, but we made an admirable stand in the summer and kept him. Was it the wrong decision? Had we got £50 or so million this January then perhaps, but to get such a huge amount of money shows our stand was justified.

Liverpool Football Club acted terribly in the summer and were found out, and Virgil acted terribly. They deserve each other, and as good as he can be on his day, I'd say we've been suitably compensated, even after Celtic get their share. Now invest the whole bloody lot and sort the team out! (Starting with the manager!) As for Virgil, I hope he has another brush with Vardy...

It's great that such a huge sum has been agreed but how much of it will be reinvested back into the squad, not £75 I reckon. It should be enough to stave off relegation this year though, January is a difficult time to pick up decent players so I hope we choose wisely. His heart wasn't in it here, it's best for both clubs that he went.