Now VVD has (almost) gone what's your honest opinion of him as a player?

Bad Wolf

From the first time I saw him at West Brom away it was obvious he was class. Strolled through the easier games and was barely ever outclassed by the best strikers in the league.

Sad that he's now ruined any love I had for him by acting like a massive bellend.

The best center back i've seen at Saints except for Mark Wright. And like Mark Wright he did the simple things brilliantly so nothing stood out as spectacular. His reading of the game is phenomenal and he's classy on the ball, at points last season he dragged us through games and got us results we shouldn't have got. That from a center back is incredible.

As a person though he's an utter d*ck, his attitude, his agent, the money, the lack of professionalism and the snidey way he went about everything (and the way he acted after) has actually chipped a bit off my enjoyment of the sport as a whole, and makes me dislike most professional footballers just a little more.

Honest assessment is he is absolute class, way too good for Liverpool, but hey ho. However, I still think Toby is the best CB I’ve seen at the club.

IMO, Toby is the best CB in the league, with VvD not far behind him (as shown by Tottenham ‘dip in form’ this season). Both 2 good for their respective clubs and could easily be a pairing at the best clubs in the world.

Great defender, but for that money he has to chip in with goals. He is up for every corner and set piece, there have been good deliveries from players like Bertrand and JWP but Virgil has missed a number of decent chances to score. Six goals in about 75 appearances for Saints... Doesn’t seem enough for the Worlds most expensive defender.

Greaty defender, apart from the odd lapse in concentration and looks good because he can carry the ball out of defense well.

Toby on the other hand reads the game better than any centre half I have ever seen, always in the right place. Toby also has a £25 million release cluase in his contract this summer, so £75 million for VVD is a great deal for Saints.

Probably the best defender I’ve seen in a Saints shirt in the last 40 years.......that’s before the Vardy inflicted injury.

Been pretty ordinary this season, I hope that continues :lol:

Spot on post.

Arguably best central defender in Saints shirt I have seen during my many, many years as a Saints fan when on song

Rather disappointing recently due to injury/attitude problem

Great defender, but for that money he has to chip in with goals. He is up for every corner and set piece, there have been good deliveries from players like Bertrand and JWP but Virgil has missed a number of decent chances to score. Six goals in about 75 appearances for Saints... Doesn’t seem enough for the Worlds most expensive defender.

This is true. He has missed some sitters.

Or Michael Svensson ....VVD was good but not as good as him.

I was about to say Michael "Killer" Svensson hasn't had a mention yet, not only was he a great CB but he also got Claus to stop being distracted by the Butterflies that often fluttered through his mind when he should have been concentrating on his defensive duties at critical moments.

Celtic then at Saints he has been a big fish in a small pond, now he enters the big sea be interesting to see how he fairs.

In my time of watching Saints the outstanding CHs have been Wright, Deano, Killer, Toby and Virgil.

I'd put Toby as the best and Killer/Virgil 2nd. Commanding in the air, great attacking distribution and a threat up front.

Toby was a better out and out defender though and no coincidence that we had a mean defence when he was here.

Not as consistent as Toby, but has the potential to be world class. Bit airy fairy & causal sometimes and has shown he’s a massive bell end. Clearly head and shoulders above any other Liverpool defender, but they need to sort out the defensive side of their midfield & their keeper before they’ve got any chance of winning the league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was a class player until he didn’t get his own way, then he turned into a brat kid who couldn’t kick a ball, just another moody foreigner who thinks the world Owes him something.

If I’m honest I think he’s lost it mentally and it will take a long time to get him back to what he was, I think Liverpool fans will have to wait to see him at his best and I’m glad we got shot of the mug.

We only really got half a season out of him, then he was injured and then he was crap so Liverpool are taking an expensive gamble.

Top class defender but still think Alderweireld was better. Will be a success at Liverpool like Mane i reckon

Agreed, VVD is excellent but Alderweireld was/is the best CB I've seen in a Saints shirt since Mark Wright.

Although it's obviously been soured by the events of this year, I've still got some good memories from his time at Saints.

- I remember being at the Hawthorns for his debut, and even in his first game he looked a class above. I recall commenting on the way home, slightly tongue-in-cheek that he wouldn't be with us in a year's time - so with hindsight maybe it's good he stayed with us long as he did...

- His outstanding performance at Stoke two seasons ago when we were clinging on to a 2-1 lead for 40 minutes, I recall he was like a one-man brick wall repelling their attacks, and we hung on for the win. Around that time his form was so good that I remember making comments like "he's the best defender I've ever seen" and "if we had 11 van Dijks on the pitch we'd win every game". Perhaps slight exaggerations but it didn't feel too far from the truth at the time.

- Fond memories of his goal against Inter, memorable not least because it's the only time I've ever been in the Chapel Stand.

I've always felt he should score more goals than he does, considering his ability to get in good positions from set pieces and how sweetly he can strike the ball as evidenced by his last minute equaliser against Sunderland a couple of seasons ago. 4 goals in 67 league games is a slightly disappointing return, with his ability he should be a 4-5 goals per season defender. Depressingly, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him become that for Liverpool...

Although it's obviously been soured by the events of this year, I've still got some good memories from his time at Saints.

- I remember being at the Hawthorns for his debut, and even in his first game he looked a class above. I recall commenting on the way home, slightly tongue-in-cheek that he wouldn't be with us in a year's time - so with hindsight maybe it's good he stayed with us long as he did...

- His outstanding performance at Stoke two seasons ago when we were clinging on to a 2-1 lead for 40 minutes, I recall he was like a one-man brick wall repelling their attacks, and we hung on for the win. Around that time his form was so good that I remember making comments like "he's the best defender I've ever seen" and "if we had 11 van Dijks on the pitch we'd win every game". Perhaps slight exaggerations but it didn't feel too far from the truth at the time.

- Fond memories of his goal against Inter, memorable not least because it's the only time I've ever been in the Chapel Stand.

I've always felt he should score more goals than he does, considering his ability to get in good positions from set pieces and how sweetly he can strike the ball as evidenced by his last minute equaliser against Sunderland a couple of seasons ago. 4 goals in 67 league games is a slightly disappointing return, with his ability he should be a 4-5 goals per season defender. Depressingly, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him become that for Liverpool...

Don't worry, he'll be following coutinho to barca before long. Celtic are our feeder club, we're liverpools, and they're barca's

I think he's superb, he's even been good for us this season, making some key blocks. He's still not worth £75m even with 4½ years on his contract, but hey, they're paying it. Alderweireld was still better for us.

As for how he does for Liverpool, I'd like his legs to fall off on Wednesday next week. I think their fans will slaughter him for being lazy because of his laid back mannerisms and tendency to switch off a little when things are going well, but we can all hope he Lovrens it up massively.

As an aside, his at the time absolutely inexplicable step upfield at Anfield to basically create a simple channel to allow them to score should now lead to a life ban (after we've got the money, of course). That was the only time this season I thought he wasn't giving his all for the first team, and what a coincidence.

Very good in the air and fast for a player his size. His built-up play is a bit poor and he made too many awful mistakes playing for the Dutch national team. I reckon he will do very well at Liverpool but he lacks the sheer quality to make it all the way to clubs like Barcelona or Real Madrid.