Now VVD has (almost) gone what's your honest opinion of him as a player?

Bad Wolf

Great in the air, good on the ball and such an asset to bring the ball out of defence. Sometimes has suspect positioning and does switch off from time to time.

Main difference between him and Hoedt (Who is pretty similar) is he has good acceleration/pace which is such an bonus for a centreback.

The thing is hes an amazing player when on form but if hes even slightly miffed in any way he can just give up on the pitch as we have witnessed..... Liverpool will have to keep him happy to get the best out of him.... may feel he is too good for Liverpool too in a year or two

The only saints player I've ever seen who would be worth a place at Barcelona. And I include le tiss in that assessment. He's that good.

And yet bizarrely, if i could pick my all time centre half pairing (noting that I'm just too young to rate mark wright) I'd choose aldewiereld and sevensson.

Pure quality. When he first came here you could see his class, so comfortable on the ball, top notch passing and never looked flustered. After the injury it remains to be seen, he was out a long time although obviously we don't know how much of that time was really due to the injury. If he gets back to the same player he was then I can easily see him at one of the elite world clubs in a couple of seasons.

Astounded that he's chosen Liverpool when he could have his pick of clubs. Class player, arrogant ****.

Is he though? He wants to go on to bigger and better things. I can't say I blame him. Of course, he could have gone about it differently but that's neither here nor there.

I don't wish him well but I don't wish him ill-fortune either. When his name is read out on Liverpool's teamsheet when we play them, it'll be a "Meh" reaction from me. Somewhere between Lambert and Lovren

Pure quality. When he first came here you could see his class, so comfortable on the ball, top notch passing and never looked flustered. After the injury it remains to be seen, he was out a long time although obviously we don't know how much of that time was really due to the injury. If he gets back to the same player he was then I can easily see him at one of the elite world clubs in a couple of seasons.

Would agree with your assessment if he is fully recovered from that Vardy injury. It may that his head wasn’t quite right or lack of a proper pre season but looked well off his best this year. Loved the fact he was an offensive threat at set pieces as well. Will have to tighten up on concentration with that price tag. Up there with the best Saints CBs, just behind Svensson and Mark Wright in my time as a fan

Clearly a good player but who knows how it will pan out. I thought Morgan was Class, I thought Clyne was class, I thought Shaw would go on to be a top top player, I thought Ox would have achieved more than he has you can never tell whether players have the mental side of the game to handle a big club move until they go. He could go on to be excellent for them and I wouldn't be surprised though if he goes on to be ****e I shall laugh my bollix off.

good player massive dickhead.

If his poor form was down to his attitude and not the injury , He can be a top player for Liverpool but like Lallana if he had played the game properly and treated the club with a bit of respect we wouldn't have known how much of a **** he was !

Clearly a good player but who knows how it will pan out. I thought Morgan was Class, I thought Clyne was class, I thought Shaw would go on to be a top top player, I thought Ox would have achieved more than he has you can never tell whether players have the mental side of the game to handle a big club move until they go. He could go on to be excellent for them and I wouldn't be surprised though if he goes on to be ****e I shall laugh my bollix off.

good player massive dickhead.

Good post - only really Mane and to some extent Lallana have worked out. Morgan apart from the very start at Everton as not looked the same as at SFC which was a surprise. Shaw was just getting into his stride but that horror injury v PSV and Mourinho doesn’t rate his approach to the game, something that was hinted at by the ITKs here at the time.

It'll be interesting to see how he does given that most players that leave us for bigger and better things rarely seem to improve.

Of the following players which are better, worse, or about the same since leaving Saints?

Clyne - I'd say about the same.

Lovren - Worse.

Mane - Better.

Lallana - Can't call this one. Liverpool fans say he's a better player but I'm not convinced.

Shaw - Worse.

Schneiderlin - Worse.

Wanyama - Better.

Alderwiereld - Better.

Is he though? He wants to go on to bigger and better things. I can't say I blame him. Of course, he could have gone about it differently but that's neither here nor there.

I don't wish him well but I don't wish him ill-fortune either. When his name is read out on Liverpool's teamsheet when we play them, it'll be a "Meh" reaction from me. Somewhere between Lambert and Lovren

I hope he gets a career ending injury in his first game for them.

Same as always.

Natural sportsman.

Too lazy to work hard enough to get to his best.

Has lapses in concentration.

Not good enough to be one of the very best.

Still better than 75% of what's out there mainly because of his speed but if he was that good why wasn't he the first name on the Dutch national team teamsheet?

He'll end up becoming one of the best CB's in the world at Liverpool. He was on his way there for us but his head was turned and he became disinterested. He's got the move he wanted now and will assert himself and when he does that, there are few CB's better than him.

Decent cb who works well in a defensive team setup where he can afford to drift out of position. Doesn’t have the concentration of a world class player, but if he does apply himself he could play for a top 3 prem team, and I assume he will automatically become a regular in the Dutch team now he is at Liverpool. Think he is going to his level, he’s good enough for Liverpool, but not good enough for the big teams. Think he’ll do ok, probably similar career wise to lovren, can see him going to a West Ham or Everton in a few years.

He'll end up becoming one of the best CB's in the world at Liverpool. He was on his way there for us but his head was turned and he became disinterested. He's got the move he wanted now and will assert himself and when he does that, there are few CB's better than him.

This.

When Alderweierld left I thought we would never see a better cb at the club. I was wrong.

VVD was insanely good last year, if he carries on like that he won’t stay long in Liverpool. He is a complete CB.

Clearly a top player but let’s not get carried away, Lovren looked like a top player at Southampton but he’s one of the worst ever Liverpool centre backs. I remember all the ****ing over Schneiderlin and he couldn’t cut it at a top club. Walcott was supposed to be the next Pele and turned out to be an Arsenal bit part player.

No question he is a very good player but I never got the hype surrounding him.

For all his good points he:

Missed quite a few easy headers

Missed quite a few easy shots

Switched off at times

Played a bit lazy at times

Attitude surrounding the move and his lazy play after the injury and refusing to play makes me wonder if he’ll be able to hack it at a big club.

We’ll see I guess.

The only saints player I've ever seen who would be worth a place at Barcelona. And I include le tiss in that assessment. He's that good.

And yet bizarrely, if i could pick my all time centre half pairing (noting that I'm just too young to rate mark wright) I'd choose aldewiereld and sevensson.

Did you never see Bale?

I see on BBC Sport Neil Warnock says Sol Bamba is better than VVD - tongue firmly in cheek surely?

Talking of CBs, Caulker leaves QPR by mutual consent. Sad, wasn’t a loan that worked out here but seemingly troubled individual

Moved to Liverpool after Saints sent him back.....and played as striker if I remember.