Pellegrino won't be sacked this season

davefoggy

With the recent run of defeats (only 1 win in 10) everyday I wake up thinking, 'today will be the day' but now I am realising MP will NOT be sacked this season. If we was, he would have been by now for sure. Reasons below:

Reed won't accept they messed up with this appointment

They probably can't afford to sack another manager (despite the VVD money)

They have no clue who would replace him

They probably think there are 3 times worse than us this season, so relegation isn't an issue (I think Swansea & West Brom are gone, 1 other from 7 or 8, including us)

They will back him in Jan transfer window

Personally, I think if we don't sack him now we are certain to be relegated and with the new owners, surely this is not an option? I'm still utterly amazed he is still in employment as it's clear the players aren't playing for him. Danny Murphys assessment on MOTD was damning but so true. We ARE an embarrassment and this is not 'The Southampton Way'

As a club we are going backwards so fast it's unbelievable

I think they are gambling on point 4, always a dangerous game to play we definitely arent too good to get relegated if anything its looking increasingly likely

Just like 04/05 then and look how that turned out. Lowe and cronies thought they could ignore the fans but they were pleading for our help post relegation.

The pundits don't seem to think he'll be sacked either. They're saying he has one of the safest jobs in the league because Les Reed won't want to admit that he's made a mistake. They're also starting to say that they think we'll be relegated because we don't score goals and we're now leaking goals. Basically the press are saying that the years of selling our best players have finally caught up with us and you can't do what we've done without it having a negative effect in the long run.

Weren’t we told that the clubs scouting setup is always one step ahead and that players and managers have already been earmarked in anticipation?

yes, yes we have been told.

most important thing to take from this is that we have been lied to.

point two makes no sense whatsoever............. how much compensation are we talking probably 1.5 million tops.......... hardly going to make any difference when weve taken in 75 mil

probably about £6-10m I reckon to sack him- if he is on £4m on a three year contract then we need to pay rest of that off I believe.

The pundits don't seem to think he'll be sacked either. They're saying he has one of the safest jobs in the league because Les Reed won't want to admit that he's made a mistake. They're also starting to say that they think we'll be relegated because we don't score goals and we're now leaking goals. Basically the press are saying that the years of selling our best players have finally caught up with us and you can't do what we've done without it having a negative effect in the long run.

You see, I disagree on that last bit. I think our business model is the best chance a club like ours has to achieve sustainability and some success. Also, if we don’t adopt such a policy the alternative is to support more TV money and higher player spend, which doesn’t sit well with me.

Where our model falls down is the failure to scout, attract and ultimately appoint the best/right managers. Koeman did well but I’m not sure how good he was, Puel was a bit left field but failed to push us on, and Pellegrino has been dreadful.

We still have a decent squad of players, so there is a chance to turn it round, but the risk we have is that a team finishing 15th in the PL (for example) is going to find it harder to attract players like Mario Lemina than one finishing 8th or 9th. So even if we don’t get relegated, we are still very much on a downward spiral and if we don’t snap out of it this season we will find it difficult to do so full stop. Our business model stops working effectively if we’re not seen as a viable “best of the rest” contender.

You see, I disagree on that last bit. I think our business model is the best chance a club like ours has to achieve sustainability and some success. Also, if we don’t adopt such a policy the alternative is to support more TV money and higher player spend, which doesn’t sit well with me.

Where our model falls down is the failure to scout, attract and ultimately appoint the best/right managers. Koeman did well but I’m not sure how good he was, Puel was a bit left field but failed to push us on, and Pellegrino has been dreadful.

We still have a decent squad of players, so there is a chance to turn it round, but the risk we have is that a team finishing 15th in the PL (for example) is going to find it harder to attract players like Mario Lemina than one finishing 8th or 9th. So even if we don’t get relegated, we are still very much on a downward spiral and if we don’t snap out of it this season we will find it difficult to do so full stop. Our business model stops working effectively if we’re not seen as a viable “best of the rest” contender.

I do agree with you in the model which worked well for a few years. I think finishing 6th scared the club and the parochial ‘amp shire mentality kicked in again as it did in 2003. The business model relies on the drive to recruit the very best players and managers you can afford.

yes, yes we have been told.

most important thing to take from this is that we have been lied to.

probably about £6-10m I reckon to sack him- if he is on £4m on a three year contract then we need to pay rest of that off I believe.

No way is he on anywhere near those figures, that would make him paid as much as a top four sides manager

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Point 1, I think is the most relevant. REED has an ego to protect, and sacking MP, makes him & his "BLACKBOX"/ scouting network, look a bit semi-pro. Players are replaced/added to. As its expected. Managers are not, but we seem to be the replacing type. Despite Reed trying to tie a (good) manager down. Last 2 yrs have been, some what of a Clusterf**k!!

Yet, had they ignored the vocal minority and appointed Hoddle then we probably would not have been relegated.
F*!king hell you bring up hoddle at every possible opportunity, why are you fixated on the past?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

What pundits have said this about Reed?

The pundits don't seem to think he'll be sacked either. They're saying he has one of the safest jobs in the league because Les Reed won't want to admit that he's made a mistake.

I've not heard or read any pundits say this.

Most pundits haven't actually registered that we are having a season that warrants much analysis, mainly because we have been boringly mid-table all season so not on the radar.

I think the pundits you refer to are just the voices in your head.

Edited by CB Fry

My feeling is Puel was sacked because the players underperformed, they blamed it on the manager and so the idea the past summer was keep the squad, add 1-2 players and a new manager will bring more out of underperforming players.

The same thing has happened again; whether or not MP is the right man, the players have underperformed for 18 months. So now instead of sacking yet another manager, the players themselves are being changed. Kind of makes sense to me.

I've not heard or read any pundits say this.

Most pundits haven't actually registered that we are having a season that warrants much analysis, mainly because we have been voting mid-table all season so not on the radar.

I think the pundits you refer to are just the voices in your head.

Quote, Paul Merson "Pellegrino has one of the safest jobs in the Premier league. There's no way Les Reed will want to admit he made a mistake in sacking Claude Puel".

He then goes on to say that he thought Puel's appointment at Leicester was a strange one but he's changed his opinion of him as he's having a real go. He also says that it shows that the problems at Southampton were probably player related rather than a management issue.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

On paper the squad we have already even without V-VD, ought to be plenty good enough to survive without being relegated. However, that relies on us getting a successful striker or two and a CB replacement in the January transfer window and not selling the likes of Bertrand. Even then, it is patently obvious that Pellegrino has neither the tactical ability, nor the motivational qualities to succeed, almost regardless of the abilities of the players he is likely to have at his disposal.

Pellegrino isn't suddenly going to become a competent PL manager even with the astute expenditure of the V-VD monies on quality replacement players where there are weaknesses in the team.

If we lose the next two and he isn't sacked post Palace then I don't think he will be sacked this season. I can't see him surviving a defeat at home to Palace.

I'd be very surprised if we lose to Palace and he isn't sacked - though I think the problems are higher up and Pellegrino might be ok if he was allowed his ideas. This is based on nothing other than similarities with certain tendencies last season and the fact there's only one common factor though.

Where as Rolf Harris is clearly yours.

FWIW, Merson is now saying that he thinks Pellegrino will be sacked if we put in another performance like we did against Spurs.

So the pundit you relied on as the go-to guy for your "all the pundits are saying Pellegrino has the safest job in football and won't be sacked" claim is now saying, about two days later, that he thinks he will be sacked this season. So much for the safest job in football.

That pretty much sums up the pair of you, the idiot gifts that keep on giving.