Walcott & Sturridge in?

the colonel

Would these signings improve the squad and give it some 'balls'?

Sturridge (28yrs) total 48 goals in 98 appearances for Liverpool.

17-18 league 9 appearances 3 goals

16-17 league 20 appearances 3 goals

Walcott (28yrs) total 65 goals in 265 appearances for Arsenal

17-18 League 4 appearance 0 goals

16-17 League 28 appearances 10 goals

Both proven goal scorers both out of favour.

Our league stats (I don't have the figures) have Saints up there with the top half of the league for creating chances but at the bottom for goal conversion.

Would both be keen to get their careers going again and be big assets or both looking for pay day contracts to see out the last 5 years of their careers?

Or will neither suit the formation we are playing?

For me, get them in they both are better than anything we currently have.

No to Sturridge. Maybe to Walcott.

Trouble is, agents know we have money and are in a spot if bother, so every want-away, greedy or has-been "thinks he's a big shot" will be touted our way at ridiculous prices and demanding stupid wages.

We may need one experienced player to cement things together, but otherwise I'm still hoping for young hungry players with potential.

Trouble us Saints aren't as attractive now as they were a couple of years ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Amazed anyone wouls turn down Daniel Sturridge on loan.

We struggle to score goals. He is one of the beat finishers in the league.

A couple of seasons ago he would have cost £50m+.

Loan would be a no brainer and he would definitely score.

As long as he's not on the treatment table. [emoji852]️

Would he, though? Good players are having a hard time in our system.

He's only played 30 Prem games in two years. Worth a punt on loan, for sure, but not with us.

Would these signings improve the squad and give it some 'balls'?

Sturridge (28yrs) total 48 goals in 98 appearances for Liverpool.

17-18 league 9 appearances 3 goals

16-17 league 20 appearances 3 goals

Walcott (28yrs) total 65 goals in 265 appearances for Arsenal

17-18 League 4 appearance 0 goals

16-17 League 28 appearances 10 goals

Both proven goal scorers both out of favour.

Our league stats (I don't have the figures) have Saints up there with the top half of the league for creating chances but at the bottom for goal conversion.

Would both be keen to get their careers going again and be big assets or both looking for pay day contracts to see out the last 5 years of their careers?

Or will neither suit the formation we are playing?

For me, get them in they both are better than anything we currently have.

I think this is proof they aren't goalscorers.

With all our current problems people are forgetting that our transfer policy over the last 6 or so years has worked really well and that didn't involve following West Ham's model of buying up rejects from the big 6 who's careers are on a downward trajectory.

Wouldn't mind either of these players as a one off, as we do need some proven quality and experienced heads, but is Sturridge the sort of person to galvanise our dressing room?

He isn't one of the best finishers in the league. When they had to rely on him the last two years, including games against us, he let them down time and again. He's lost pace, lost form and is an incredibly selfish player. Heard many say it before and I completely agree, you wouldn't want him in a relegation scrap.

Bad enough we'll try and fight our way clear with Tadic and Redmond. Throw in Sturridge and you'll really perfect the underperforming, blaming other teammates, stroppy crap.

I wouldn't want you in a relegation scrap either. it's be whinge, whinge, moan, moan, sulk, sulk. You really are one of the biggest saps to ever have broadband.

A fit and motivated Daniel Sturridge would be the best striker we have had since Shearer.

However, he's a massive bellend and is unavailable most of the time.

Walcott would obviously improve the team but I'd be slightly worried he'd suffer the same fate as Gabbiadini Ie. good runs ignored the majority of the time by timid teammates.

In theory though, a front four like this:

Gabbi---------Boufal---------Walcott

-----------------Sturridge------------------

ought to be mint.

Or if we want to play three at the back, or a diamond, Boufal behind Sturridge/Gabbi and Walcott ought to be decent.

Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in the current manager getting the best out of any group of players.

To get both would be great, provided Sturridge is a loan which makes him pretty low risk. Remember he's got a big point to prove if he wants to make the World Cup squad.

Having Theo back would be brilliant. He's not unlike Long in terms of pace but with the added ability to score goals. I think it's a bit harsh to call him a has been, he's only 28 and has a good few years of football in front of him. I get the feeling he's a bloke who needs to be loved and seen as the main man, and he'd get that here.

Both are not what we need IMO. This has shades of 2005 all over it.

Only this time it looks like we are going to give the Argentinian Wigley the transfer window to **** up along with the rest of the season so far. As for Sturridge I'd be surprised if he was fit for even half of our remaining games. Walcott would be welcome - at the very least to get Redmond off the teamsheet. I think we may get the latter on loan with an option to buy which we obviously won't if we go down.

Buying players that are already up-to-speed in the Prem is a must in our circumstance. So, Sturridge on loan and a Walcott purchase would mean there wouldn't be that period that most foreign players take to get used to the pace.

With that in mind, I can't think of many others that would be good and affordable. Even if they both come with their own risks.

As has been mentioned above it does seem to hark back to days gone by when we seemed to hoover up players who had had glittering careers but were deffo in the twilight of them. Kerry Dixon goal machine at Chelsea, bit tired when he arrived with us, Sparky Hughes rattled them in everywhere he played, scored one I think in a Saints shirt, Barry Venision - Broken before they had taken the lid off the pen to sign his contract with. Obviously we did get some good years out of a few "old boys" Alan Ball and Jimmy Case being the most notable.

But in the case of Sturridge and Walcott both have medical files thick enough to put a car up on and have the wheels away from, Sturridge I think will be divisive in the dressing room as he is a bit billy big whatsits and would have others believe he is doing us a favour, Walcott though might work, as well as being a nice chap, he has always remembered where he came from (yes I know he was at Swindon before us) keep him fit and with all his experience gained since he left us coupled with his seemingly good nature could prove to be an asset.

Oh do give over...having these two on our books will make us worse. Both are injury prone...We will be paying shed loads of money for two players that hardly play.

Sounds about right. As for 40 + million for Walcott, soon to be 29 and injury prone to boot, well that's just not going to happen. Personally I'd not take him on any long term deal involving money, perhaps a try to buy loan but those don't really happen.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Given that our 'model' of buying younger players with potential future resale value has brought us to this point in time, ie. Two points off the revelation zone, is it perhaps time for a change in approach and trying to land a bigger name/marquee signing??
No.

I can't believe that fans are so sniffy about the prospect of a Sturridge LOAN. Yes he is an injury risk but any signing we make could suffer a bad injury within a fortnight of signing. Go for it I say.

Also Walcott has the pace that so many crave.

Yes any player we sign could get injured Sturridge on the other hand will, without a doubt, get injured does he really seem like the sort of player with the bottle for a relegation scrap..I don't think so. Theo might at least have a bit of affinity with saints to fight hard to stop us going down.

Klopp confirmed Sturridge has picked up a thigh injury in training this week. Steer well clear, not what’s we need in a relegation scrap. (Potentially a great player thoug).

this would be the problem, keeping him fit for more than three games in a row looks virtually impossible. Those that moan about Austin being injury prone wouldn’t be able to cope with this glass ornament of a footballer.

Given that our 'model' of buying younger players with potential future resale value has brought us to this point in time, ie. Two points off the revelation zone, is it perhaps time for a change in approach and trying to land a bigger name/marquee signing??

Its a balancing job. A balance we have not got right.

Buying the players with potential is all well and good but for every Mane there's a Redmond, Juanmi and Ramirez.

A mix of potential and proven talent is what ive always encouraged.

Signing Walcott and or Sturridge would certainly confirm that Les "in charge of everything" Reed is no longer pulling all the strings.

Our attack certainly needs a shot in the arm and these two would give it that, but the injury problems should not be ignored. Every signing is a risk, but if you can't get players out on the field then we aren't going to see results improve. Imagine paying these two close to a million pound a month combined only for them to spend most of their time in the physio table

Embarrassing for them to have to move to Southampton according to the idiot Durham on Talk****e. 'Sturridge would be signing for a club well below the level of his skills! Southampton are club with no ambition or direction.'
It's what he does, another professional troll trying to drum up a reaction by being outspoken. On the occasions that I find myself listening to his show I find him and Gough bloody embarrassing. Awful presenters who have resorted to such depths in order to get people to phone and contribute. Crap.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

So, its a 'no' to Sturridge and 'maybe' to Theo, this one's moving along nicely.

Hmmm...or a No to both. Sturridge too injury-prone we all agree, Theo okay but would be breaking the golden rule 'never go back'. Besides, I believe we'd do better looking for the next Theo. I'd do Dembele before either and a new goalkeeper before anybody else (anybody have ideas who?)

People are talking as if Walcott is 34.

He’s only 28, the same age as Bertrand. No one suggests Bertrand is a has-been with no re-sale value (or Tadic who’s an ancient 29).

As for ‘never going back’, we released Kevin Phillips aged 18 and bought him back aged 30 and he did pretty well for two years *****il the Carphone Warehouse manager intervened anyway).

I’ve never been too impressed with Sturridge, but I think he’d improve our options. Prefer him on loan though to see how it goes. I imagine he thinks he’s too big for Saints anyway.

It's what he does, another professional troll trying to drum up a reaction by being outspoken. On the occasions that I find myself listening to his show I find him and Gough bloody embarrassing. Awful presenters who have resorted to such depths in order to get people to phone and contribute. Crap.

The only blessing is that we don't have anyone with Durham's wind-up abilities on this forum...

I don't think Saints will be taking either of them , Sturridge looked good when Suarez played with him but that was a while back now , since then he has been slagged off for attitude and injuries by 2 managers . Walcott had a good spell a while back then was granted his wish to play up front but squandered too many chances and got phased out plus his injuries , looked like Wenger gave him his chance and he was found wanting . He is not a 'natural' goalscorer ie given time to think he dallies then misses.

Either player on loan for rest of the season would be an advantage, with a world cup coming up.

We are most likely battling relegation in the second half of the season so we need players committed to the cause neither of those two on loan would give a **** if we were relegated or not as it would have little effect on them.

Edited by doddisalegend

I don't think Saints will be taking either of them , Sturridge looked good when Suarez played with him but that was a while back now , since then he has been slagged off for attitude and injuries by 2 managers . Walcott had a good spell a while back then was granted his wish to play up front but squandered too many chances and got phased out plus his injuries , looked like Wenger gave him his chance and he was found wanting . He is not a 'natural' goalscorer ie given time to think he dallies then misses.

They just aren't the type of players Saints have recruited since being back in the Prem. Then again, our Prem status hasn't been so uncertain for a decade or so and that was when Henri Camara was brought in - and did a job. Strengthening of the attack is urgently needed but I fear if the Manager is here much longer we are staring at the Championship abyss.