Kelvin Davis made first team coach

DT

More than qualified to be an assistant coach, given MP already has two other assistant coaches. Fran Alonso had never had any pro level coaching or playing experience when he held the role previously.

As Black played a prominent role then it makes sense that one of Tamarit or Compagnucci will step up.

Pellegrino clearly going nowhere imminently.

Kelvin as caretaker for Crystal Palace then.

Hmm maybe you are right you know.

Maybe Pellegrino will be sacked soon so whilst we look for the next manager we are now able to delegate caretaker role to Kelvin, similar to the way Leon Britton did it for Swansea.

meh, one can dream.

Also major irony that everyone says this move has been done to appease the fan, but if anything, everything ive read or seen actually has made fans more disgruntled!

And, let us be honest, the worst goalie we've had for a good 25 years. Like Kelvin as a man, but he was awful between the sticks

Excluding of course ones so bad that they never played in the first team (Tommy Fourpast).

Loyalty should not be mistaken for talent.

I'll see your Kelvin and raise you a Frannie.

Obviously, I have no idea about Kelvin’s coaching skills or how influential his player-liaison role has been, but it seems pretty clear that there has been a serious trust/respect problem between the players and the management/board over the last 18 months. Coincidentally, the period since Kelvin was appointed.

Maybe he’s just been a loyal servant of Puel/Pellegrino, maybe he’s been too junior to have any impact on player morale or maybe he’s given the players a route to moan to the board over the head of Puel/Pellegrino (and may have helped persuade Les to sack Puel).

Whichever of these three is true, it’s hard to see how he can have had any positive impact on the trust between the players and management/board to have earned himself this promotion.

The only way I can imagine he’s had a positive impact is if he’s managed to prevent the players’ attitudes over the last 18 months from being even worse. Hard to imagine!

Kelv=Supergrass?

Kelvin has had a very easy ride since 2012, so it's about time he did some work. Personally, I went off him after NA was sacked, when he did not acknowledge the great job Nigel did. Also, his body language toward NA in the video of that testimonial game was not good - the one in which he referred to the fans as "that lot out there."

We do actually know he is not the first team coach, but assistant first team coach, right?

Yep. Presumably this does mean he does some coaching rather than just putting out the cones or that really is paying for old rope.

Thanks to Crab Lungs above to have explained that he probably got the A licence quicker than normal and would have probably got onto the B licence programme in preference to a non-pro even though said non pro might actually be better than him because the FA want to promote ex-professionals, presumably because they see them as 'better' even though as many have pointed out there is no evidence overall that this is the case. Actually, I think Monk said that too.

Not impressed - he was pretty invisible in the artificially created liaison job. I have always thought the club over-rated his skills. This smells like an exercise in fan appeasement.

This is my opinion as well. Not impressed. cheap option.

Not like this forum to right someone off without any actual reason to do so

Not saying I endorse it but give it a chance to be bad ffs

With respect, we are a premier league club with one of the most expensive squads in europe.

We should not be "giving people a chance" we should be hiring the elite, the best we can possibly aquire. Not giving out jobs for the boys and hoping they come good.

Club is being run like amateurs by amateurs.

With respect, we are a premier league club with one of the most expensive squads in europe.

We should not be "giving people a chance" we should be hiring the elite, the best we can possibly aquire. Not giving out jobs for the boys and hoping they come good.

Absolutely.

Are we in a position 'to see if it goes bad'

No, we're not. Underwhelming "pipe and slippers" appointment - building a momentum of mediocrity. Get rid of the dud Manager for feck's sake...SFC decision makers. And I use the words decision makers very tentatively!!

He's been employed to assist with some coaching a fairly minor role I suspect but in our current situation

he may help to improve the " mood" (if that's the right word) of the squad, we are led to believe he gets on well with them

I suspect that it will have little known effect either way to be honest.

We do actually know he is not the first team coach, but assistant first team coach, right?

Stop talking sense - it would seem that it's compulsory to flap and moan about having a well respected recent former player on the training ground, changing room and dugout during a time of crisis. Heaven forbid he may actually help motivate an unmotivated bunch of players.

I think you will find KD whilst of friendly nature, is pretty steely in many ways. He will not take any nonsense and is fiercely loyal to our club.

As I have posted before, he cares and he had 2 of our players by the throat at half time during a game, as they didn't care or weren't trying. We might need someone who the players respect but also know they cant take liberties

I think you will find KD whilst of friendly nature, is pretty steely in many ways. He will not take any nonsense and is fiercely loyal to our club.

As I have posted before, he cares and he had 2 of our players by the throat at half time during a game, as they didn't care or weren't trying. We might need someone who the players respect but also know they cant take liberties

I agree. Lets have some stalwarts running our club, people who genuinely care.

This is my sentiment as well.

The manager and coaching staff are key to success and are a must to have the best! With this bell-end of a manager and now this so called coaching staff…We are a frigging joke!!! It’s like putting a Mini engine in a Roll Royce. Sh!t in Sh!t out!!! How the hell are we going to get to the next level with this complete miss management of the club?

People are making an awful lot of assumptions on this thread; even more than normal and that's saying something, about his role and function, skill levels, what the club intend to do. Setting up and knocking down strawman arguments.

I was going to ask whether he was appointed as THE first team coach or as A first team coach. A quick look at the OS says he's been appointed as an assistant coach, so not quite as shock horror as some of you are making out. He's done his coaching badges and this is an opportunity to continue learning, I'm certainly not going to make any guesses about the club's future intentions.

Tough but true

Having met him a couple of times I always thought what a nice chap, but also felt Velvet Glove - Iron Fist.

I have mentioned this before, but many readers will remember Dennis Rofe - ex player - came out on the pitch at half time sang songs and did the Kenzie bit back then, then he found his way onto the bench on the coaching staff, you always knew he was there as he was the only nutter when the temperature was minus 20°c in a training tee shirt and shorts - memorably squared up to Souness in one game. In the relegation season he was taking turns on the pitch with Kevin Bond to give a pep talk as the players were doing exercises on the floor, pre that fantastic game v Norwich Rofe was whipping them up, couple of weeks later final game Man U Bond was doing the geeing up by comparison, it was weak and weary just like our capitulation.

If Kelvin can spark a bit of fire into the team, then seeing as Pellegrino is seemingly living on an extended Honeymoon period, I want to see a bit of fight and if Kelvin is the man to do it then fair play to him. Sammy Lee always came over as a nice fun chap, but showed lots of passion on the touchline, as Koemans said, half the time we don't understand a thing he is saying - but he does enjoy using the word f**k at every opportunity.

Edited by John Boy Saint

:lol:

101 reasons to hire Kelvin:

1. He has a strong chokehold

2. ....

He’s assistant coach, he puts the cones out, has a bit of banter with the lads and does what the coach tells him.

I think a career in professional football and the relevant badges more than qualify him - it’s not rocket science.

Having said that it looks very much like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Would be interesting to know if this was Pellegrino’s idea or something imposed on him by Reed.

First team coach= laying out cones, distributing bibs, implementing the manager's training sessions (because the manager has better things to do than freeze his b*****ks off) and generally engaging in motivational bantz.

Like his predecessor Eric Black, his influence will be limited. The rest is mongboard melodrama.

This. Pure histrionics. The professionally outraged.

Stop talking sense - it would seem that it's compulsory to flap and moan about having a well respected recent former player on the training ground, changing room and dugout during a time of crisis. Heaven forbid he may actually help motivate an unmotivated bunch of players.

Yep, silly me. Of course he and the club should be slagged off before he has shown either way whether his appointment is a success or not (despite the fact that he is actually only an assistant). I am just as much an amateur as the amateurs running this club and will go and stand in the corner - although it is getting rather crowded with Mr Gao, Nelly, Kat Liebherr, Ralph, Les and Mauricio already there. Thankfully I can take the spot vacated by Eric Black.

;)

Yep, silly me. Of course he and the club should be slagged off before he has shown either way whether his appointment is a success or not (despite the fact that he is actually only an assistant). I am just as much an amateur as the amateurs running this club and will go and stand in the corner - although it is getting rather crowded with Mr Gao, Nelly, Kat Liebherr, Ralph, Les and Mauricio already there. Thankfully I can take the spot vacated by Eric Black.

;)

:lol:

Torn as it does seem really amateur, but then I don't especially think any coach would make a difference under MP anyway so fck it.

Just make sure the new manager is allowed to bring in his own people.

Funnily enough Liverpool and Manchester Utd in their pomp used to have ex players in the backroom staff and also coaches

Well, I say good luck to Kelvin. At least he is a man who clearly cares about the club as a few others have said.

I suspect this is probably only a temporary appointment though while the club continues to dither over what to do about the manager. It seems inevitable that MP will be removed at some point over the next few weeks but for whatever reason those in charge seem determined to wait until we are actually in the bottom 3 before pulling the trigger! Once a new manager comes in, back room staff will change again no doubt.

Wouldn't have made any difference after 1 game, given that he's been around the first team for months. The VVD situation was possibly holding a cloud over us though.
Apparently he was on the pitch pre match speaking to our players, Motivation perhaps

Wouldn't have made any difference after 1 game, given that he's been around the first team for months. The VVD situation was possibly holding a cloud over us though.
But it might. This is the first game where he's had any official clout. He has to have been involved in FF being dropped. He could have changed the mood.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There’s been some proper ****e spouted on this thread. When he was appointed to the liaison role, it was stated, if memory serves, that the club were supporting him through his coaching badges. It was always the plan, IMO, that he would get this role.

It may even be the case that the plan is to develop our own for the number one job. Makes sense.

Oh... and another thing .... I was quoted by someone from the club who, like already has been mentioned on here, could do with extra help ‘off the pitch’ but it’s in very short supply.

FF? Seems to have some form of OCD as he spends more time pulling up his socks than concentrating on the game going on in front of him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk