Man Utd 0 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Except against Everton we have not looked really convincing against the weaker teams. We've had periods in games where we've dominated but then we cede the advantage by dropping off - under his instructions. Spurs aside, our form against the bigger sides has been better, results and displays like last night are great but won't be enough if we continue to under perform against the cr@p teams. It's been going on for over half a season now, I remain unconvinced he can turn it around and we're taking a big risk by continuing to give him the chance to do so.

On SFR sport the french previewed the game with a 10 minute montage of Mourinho going into gradual meltdown over the past few weeks and now they will have another clip to add to it before their game at Goodison, home of the dugout.

I thought everyone played their part, although the centre backs need to stop letting team get one free header per game. Hoedt won everything, was composed in possesion but crucially, would row z it if required. Stephens had a much better game than at Wembley, perhaps he needs JWP in front of him like in the Arsenal game. McQueen had a good game, aside from that one run uo field in the first half , when he kept his head down so much he ended up surrounded by 5 red shirts. Mc Carthy looked more composed in goal, and actually came for a few crosses.

On one of the podcasts earlier this season, a pundit said that we needed to get Tadic closer to whoever was up front, and after yesterday you can see his point. The whole attack was much better.

Man of the match though was Hojdberg . He is the real leader in midfield that we need. He was everywhere, and put in loads of good tackles, even after a silly early boooking. Starting to remind me of a certain mr Williams from the 80's. .

It will be interesting to see if any action is taken on Ashley Young, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, the PL's Review of Dangerous Play by Teams Outside the Big Six has a bit of previous .

Thought long and hard before driving up yesterday having been full of cold and seen so many disappointments of late, notably Wembley. Just goes to show why we love football so much and you can never tell! A few thoughts:

- haven’t seen it on TV yet but we all thought it was handball at the time down our end!

- Good to see the passion/anger between Yoshida and Hoedt when Lukaku got between them for the header. We need to see this much more

-thought that apart from that one moment both centre backs, Romeo and Hojberg were excellent base backed up by hard work from JWP, Tadic and Boufal. Boufal really looks a class player

-after a nervous start with distribution, McCarthy settled well

- unlike Wembley when frustration boiled over, the fans were positive and supportive from minute 1

-my disappointment was with Lamina and Gabbi who were woeful when they came on. Their only remit was to use energy, win the ball and retain it to wind the clock down, but this seemed beyond them. What on earth has happened to them?

- finally my daughter thought that Redmond bug*ered off down the tunnel rather than join his team mates in thanking the fans at the end. Any one else confirm?

Tuesday is massive....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well done The Manager. Criticised pre game for playing Long & leaving out Lamina on pre game thread, but tactically got it spot on. Proved here and at City that he can set sides up to contain the big boys, just needs to prove he can break down sides that sit back at our place. The jury's still out for me, but nobody can doubt the players played for him tonight. Well deserved point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree - needs to follow it up by keeping McCarthy and Hoj in on Tuesday.

From the BBC Sport website:

"Manchester United full-back Ashley Young has been banned for three matches after accepting a Football Association charge of violent conduct.

Young, 32, appeared to strike Southampton's Dusan Tadic with an elbow in Saturday's 0-0 draw at Old Trafford.

The incident was not spotted by referee Craig Pawson.

Young accepted the charge on Sunday and his argument the three-game suspension was excessive was rejected by a regulatory commission."

Umm, "appeared to strike"??

He rammed his elbow into Tadic's stomach! How about "struck..."?