Man Utd 0 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Don't get me wrong today was a good point no doubt about that, but the number of people now claiming MP is now suddenly good enough for saints after one draw against a top team is ridiculous!

The palace game will see if anything has really changed

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My usual pub don't have BT Sport - I hadn't checked who was showing it so had to jog to the next village and pub and got there in time to see Lukaku on a stretcher. "Shame", I thought...

Anyway, different pub, different anaesthetic beers and different performance too. Even the away Saints fans came over well with the sound turned down (so I didn't get to hear Scholes -more shame, it would appear..). With the New Year's Day railway schedules as they are I'm going to have to drive and won't have my mild pre-match sedative, but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about the game.

No bad performances, a few decisions could have been better but hey, and there was certainly no lacking in heart. What has Shane Long got to do to a) get a foul in his favour b) a goal? His honest running kept Phil Jones on his toes at least.

I'd have to think Kelvin was responsible for FF being dropped, but the increased commitment all round tonight was typical of him.

Is this a master stroke?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Shroppie, you only have to look at the Kelvin made coach thread to see that it will not be down to any of his influence by so many on here. Now if it was Sammy Lee it would be a masterstroke in many fans eyes

Was visiting my grandad up in Epping today and timed my trip back so I could listen on the radio. Commentators on 5live were pretty complimentary about how we played and said we thoroughly deserved a point, if not more. They were very impressed with Boufal, Tadic and Long.

All that chat about Yoshida's 'handball' which only Mourinho and Scholes though was a penalty and very little mention of that elbow on Tadic on the goal line which was a definite pen and sending off offence. Likely that Young will be suspended for that which is no consolation to us.

Moanrinho was asked about that, but amazinly he hadn't seen that incident.

Much better second half. Really enjoyed how we got between the lines. I thought we needed to be a little more positive once we had got between midfield and defence. Boufal looked excellent, again. Not sure why he was subbed, but f it means he starts the next game I can live with it. Long should have scored.

Yes, Boufal coming off was strange; thought he was excellent today, great running, touch, control and passing - only those two rather petulant fouls on Young spoiled the performance. Has to play against Palace.

What do you mean? Yes we are in the thick of it, but we can fight our way out of this.

Blimey! what a difference one good performance makes - even Dalek is sound more optimistic.

Don't care if it's VVD finally going, Kelvin inspiring the players, MoPo giving more players a chance to prove themselves or my 1 point from 6 prediction,

let's take this into the Palace game and give them a drubbing :D

Please?

Come on you Saints!!!

Yes, Boufal coming off was strange; thought he was excellent today, great running, touch, control and passing - only those two rather petulant fouls on Young spoiled the performance. Has to play against Palace.

Except for the two or three occasions when Long made a great run and he could have put him through, yet he chose to continue to hold on to the ball and was forced out wide/lost the ball.

There's no doubt that the lad has exceptional talent and I like his direct, positive running and unpredictability, but I thought there were times this evening (particularly the above when he could have attempted to put Long through) when his decision-making let him down. As a result, I certainly wouldn't call his performance 'excellent'.

My usual pub don't have BT Sport - I hadn't checked who was showing it so had to jog to the next village and pub and got there in time to see Lukaku on a stretcher. "Shame", I thought...

Anyway, different pub, different anaesthetic beers and different performance too. Even the away Saints fans came over well with the sound turned down (so I didn't get to hear Scholes -more shame, it would appear..). With the New Year's Day railway schedules as they are I'm going to have to drive and won't have my mild pre-match sedative, but I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about the game.

No bad performances, a few decisions could have been better but hey, and there was certainly no lacking in heart. What has Shane Long got to do to a) get a foul in his favour b) a goal? His honest running kept Phil Jones on his toes at least.

Sue, you do know the game is on Tuesday, not New Year’s Day?

Think he was lucky to get away without a second yellow for that tug on young (?) Manager probably thought it was safer to get him off.

Haven’t seen the game but listened to the commentary and we sounded much improved and even the commentators were complimentary.

Who knows but perhaps Forster being dropped and Kelvin’s involvement had an affect, but as everyone has mentioned the Palace game is a must win game and might well determine Pelligrino’s future, but well done today.

Sue, you do know the game is on Tuesday, not New Year’s Day?

Oh sod me, so it is. Thank you. Mind you, using Southern Railways for an evening match is equally risking it. They have a habit (a regular habit) of not running the last direct Littlehampton train and you risk going via Fratton, or they start the train from Fareham but don't tell anyone that they may be able to get there in time via Eastleigh/Botley.

I’m hoping Pellegrino took him off so he won’t be knackered for Tuesday.

Also, we have an extra day’s rest for that game. That has to be a good thing.

Let's not be fickle after a decent result. We were good tonight but doing it at Old Trafford should not obliterate the memory of a woeful performance v Spurs just four days ago. The Palace match will be a vital indicator, trouble is, I fear more team changes will lead to a bad performance, fans then up in arms demanding MP's head and so the merry-go-round goes on and on. Remember when Cortese ditched Adkins after a draw at Chelsea and we were all horrified?

I remain steadfastly in the Pellegrino out camp.

Good post. Mirrors my thinking too.

Good solid performance, with no one letting us down. Nice to see a change in keeper, might benefit Forster to have a break and relieve some of the pressure he has been under.

As for those expressing the view players now seem to be 'playing for the manager', thats an interesting interpretation.

Another might be, 'the club has a war chest to spend, numerous players being linked with us and my place might now be in danger, I'd better put in a shift'.

I hope that latter version is not the case but call me Mr Cynical, it seems strange some players actually stepped up today

Excellent performance. Who saw that coming?

Good to see the team playing with some spirit and confidence again.

Three things stood out for me: 1) having a confident goalie, who was willing, for example, to stride out and grab a high corner kick; 2) Saints players constantly challenging the opposition's man on the ball; 3) how quickly the midfield slotted the ball through to the attack, with no aimless dithering.

Don't get me wrong today was a good point no doubt about that, but the number of people now claiming MP is now suddenly good enough for saints after one draw against a top team is ridiculous!

The palace game will see if anything has really changed

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kelvin won it.

The United faithful are less than impressed with their team, from the red cafe:

Unknown keeper*

No Soares

No Bertrand*

No VVD*

No Austin

No Redmond

Great!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

It's the point I made earlier. Despite the excuses made for United that they looked jaded, they still have a depth of player quality that we could only dream about. And it isn't too fanciful to claim the possibility that had we had those absentees playing, we might have actually beaten that United team today (well without Forster and Redmond, obviously :lol:)

Edited by Wes Tender
Under the weather; silly mistake saying Bertrand instead of Redmond

Very surprised, and delighted, by that performance.

The big question is whether Pellegrino can build on this against Palace, or will mess it up with too many changes.

I hope he doesn’t rotate any players to save them for Fulham. The FA Cup is far less important at this moment.

If someone can explain how Hojbjerg hasn't been an automatic starter every game this season, it would be good to hear.

Best player on the pitch on either side - at Old Trafford, no less.

Because last season and preseason he was terrible for us. Going through a good patch at the moment but it seems every day you are on here talking him up.

Also, the Irish commentator - Long gives a freekick first couple of mins on Matic - *yeah definately foul not sure why Long made the challenge* - no mention of Matic falling over a few strides later when he knew he couldn't get the ball after v.minimal contact...few minutes later *Shaw definitely made contact but Boufal made the most of it* - Boufal nutmegs Shaw and then he gets checked :mcinnes:. Lots more examples of this throughout the game, best to watch mute these days. Forget there are two teams playing.

It's the point I made earlier. Despite the excuses made for United that they looked jaded, they still have a depth of player quality that we could only dream about. And it isn't too fanciful to claim the possibility that had we had those absentees playing, we might have actually beaten that United team today (well without Forster and Bertrand, obviously :lol:)

We were better than them at SMS early in the season to. Utd ended up with like 5CBs and 3 DMs by the end of that game to squeak a 0-1. Both games against Utd this season could have been saints wins if we had more proficient attacking options.

Also, the Irish commentator - Long gives a freekick first couple of mins on Matic - *yeah definately foul not sure why Long made the challenge* - no mention of Matic falling over a few strides later when he knew he couldn't get the ball after v.minimal contact...few minutes later *Shaw definitely made contact but Boufal made the most of it* - Boufal nutmegs Shaw and then he gets checked :mcinnes:. Lots more examples of this throughout the game, best to watch mute these days. Forget there are two teams playing.

Bit like Owen Hargreaves on BT Sport saying Utd were unlucky not to be given the offside ‘goal’. Unlucky that the linesman and referee applied the laws of the game...

Sadly I didn’t get to see the match, but did we create and have chances to score?

Couple of decent chances, but overall far more composed, sharper and motivated.

Looked again like a team we could be proud of. Pressing, good energy, seemed to go forward again with more numbers.

I moaned about the imagination in the final 3rd, but in reflection was a very decent away performance.

United were poor, but we seemed to be dictating the pace and until the last 3 minutes had them on the back foot more than us.

Great point and a very good performance. Could probably have nicked it. Most importantly, the players played for the manager... and hopefully now that the VVD cancer has left the club we will see this continue.

I know most disagree, but I think we have a good manager here and I hope he is given the chance (and the backing) to show it!

So you think VVD and possibly Bertrand were a huge bad influence in the side ? intresting how they turned up at OT but not Wembley?.Pleasently surprised at the result to be fair team showed enough about themselves to suggest things might just be ok.The team certainly looked more together than in previous games more or a unit rather than fragments,pleased that Boufal is getting game time aswell as PEH.

Couple of decent chances, but overall far more composed, sharper and motivated.

Looked again like a team we could be proud of. Pressing, good energy, seemed to go forward again with more numbers.

I moaned about the imagination in the final 3rd, but in reflection was a very decent away performance.

United were poor, but we seemed to be dictating the pace and until the last 3 minutes had them on the back foot more than us.

Agree with all that in particular line three as I did the same, we could have won with a bit more intent and invention