Man Utd 0 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Because he was dog turd last season (and pre-season) it seems a great bit of man management by MoPe to stick him in the under u23s it seems to have given Hoj the kick up the arse he needed to start performing.

That's just ******. He needed a decent run that was all he needed. Never got the chance that we've given Redmond, JWP etc etc.

I thought every one of those players played very well. We nullified their attacks and defended superbly. Some great attacking play too. If we didn't get anything from that game it would have been very harsh! Sure Utd were nowhere near their best but we showed a lot of character.

Now we need to continue to show that in every game not just against the bigger clubs.

We played with our reserve keeper, without our first choice left and right backs and CB and without our main striker. And on the balance of play during the 90 minutes, we were often the side carrying the greater threat and desire. This result was totally unexpected following on from the Spurs debacle, but when there were many players who didn't seem up to putting in a shift against them, tonight it would be almost churlish to pick a single player out as having put in less than 100% effort into getting that result.

Well deserved point, at least. We didn't even park the bus and went relatively toe to toe with United.

McCarthy was perfectly competent - saved the ones you'd expect a keeper to save, came and caught the crosses you'd expect a keeper to catch. What a difference it makes. I doubt he's the long term solution, but he did his job today.

Stephens was gutsy out of position at right back against much faster wingers, but I don't fancy him getting isolated 1 v 1 against Zaha against Palace. We need a proper RB, I think.

All the defence did well, though. McQueen is a very decent all round football, in my opinion. Hoedt had his best game.

But for me Hojbjerg was again the outstanding player. So much drive and energy. How has he played so little? If he doesn't start against Palace, Pellegrino should be sacked regardless of the result.

We're obviously not going to score many with Long up front, and Gabbiadini seems like he's off, so reinforcements are desperately needed at that end of the pitch asap.

Anyway, a good result. And more importantly, a team performance where everyone at least gave it everything.

Onwards.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Because he was dog turd last season (and pre-season) it seems a great bit of man management by MoPe to stick him in the under u23s it seems to have given Hoj the kick up the arse he needed to start performing.

Certainly Hoj has been our best player since returning to the side. If this is a management tactic, can we please banish Forster to playing with the U18s until he loses some bulk and gains something approaching some agility? Even if he doesn’t, coaches should verbally hammer him with expletives every time he gets gluefoot to his line. Something along the lines of clucking foward.

So much to glean from that. Firstly, as a saints fan I'm delighted with that point.

McCarthy ... Why haven't we tried him before, much better.

Stephens is still not a right back. If mkhitaryan could cross and benteke stayed on the pitch I think we'd have lost.

Yoshida, didn't give a goal away through a sloppy mistake. Well done.

Hoedt - joint motm for me, he's one half of a proper premier league defensive partnership.

McQueen, ahead of targett IMHO

Romeu, well played

Hojberg - motm, now can we stop rotating him please

Jwp - played wide right against Everton and had his best game in months. Played wide right next game against afcb and was so bad he was subbed at half time. Been average / awful since and then had a solid game today. Get some consistency and you might just make it, if not you won't.

Bouffal class, our most creative force even though it's frustrating at times. Until we get better he has to start every week.

Tadic. Infuriatingly decent display, against the big sides you deliver, against the rest you spend your time diving and waving your arms at refs and team mates. Apply yourself every match and your great, don't and rather like jwp you're done.

Long. Great effort as usual, but you still can't score. Admittedly you didn't fall over on your face with today's chance (possibly half chance) but we will never score a goal with you as our striker.

Gabbi, look gone mentally. No effort when you came on. If you're home sick I hope we can ship on and replace. Shame as you have real class.

Lemina. Are you injured or not? Put in more effort in 2 minutes today than the whole of the first half at Spurs. Why?

Redmond. Pointless. And we're a better team without you.

Pellegrino. We're happy with a backs against the wall point, but how are we going to actually win games we should win? Today should give you an idea as to who you need to play when fit, and stick to that team. And we need a striker.

Squad overall. So who are the bad eggs affecting team morale? Difference between today and Spurs was a chasm. Guess VvD is an obvious one, but who else? Need to get rid. Is it any of the three on the treatment table? Gabbi? Or is the poison gone. Work it out and get rid accordingly because that line up which in some ways looked weaker than the Spurs one, we showed character, determination and desire, and that will be far more important than star players with big egos underperforming in a relegation scrap. And we are definitely in a relegation scrap.

Finally, not that I care, today also shows spurs are vastly superior to Manure.

Good performance by the team - PEH my MOTM as he was excellent all over the pitch. Defence solid - McCarthy impressed me and should keep the gloves.

Once again, despite a good performance by Boufal and much running by Long, we can't score. It's clear to me, if we had 2 really decent forwards alongside Boufal we would be closer to 7th place than 17th. Need to get those new signings in Les.

Well deserved point, at least. We didn't even park the bus and went relatively toe to toe with United.

McCarthy was perfectly competent - saved the ones you'd expect a keeper to save, came and caught the crosses you'd expect a keeper to catch. What a difference it makes. I doubt he's the long term solution, but he did his job today.

Stephens was gutsy out of position at right back against much faster wingers, but I don't fancy him getting isolated 1 v 1 against Zaha against Palace. We need a proper RB, I think.

All the defence did well, though. McQueen is a very decent all round football, in my opinion. Hoedt had his best game.

But for me Hojbjerg was again the outstanding player. So much drive and energy. How has he played so little? If he doesn't start against Palace, Pellegrino should be sacked regardless of the result.

We're obviously not going to score many with Long up front, and Gabbiadini seems like he's off, so reinforcements are desperately needed at that end of the pitch asap.

Anyway, a good result. And more importantly, a team performance where everyone at least gave it everything.

Onwards.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Yep, pretty fair summary

Well done The Manager. Criticised pre game for playing Long & leaving out Lamina on pre game thread, but tactically got it spot on. Proved here and at City that he can set sides up to contain the big boys, just needs to prove he can break down sides that sit back at our place. The jury's still out for me, but nobody can doubt the players played for him tonight. Well deserved point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's not be fickle after a decent result. We were good tonight but doing it at Old Trafford should not obliterate the memory of a woeful performance v Spurs just four days ago. The Palace match will be a vital indicator, trouble is, I fear more team changes will lead to a bad performance, fans then up in arms demanding MP's head and so the merry-go-round goes on and on. Remember when Cortese ditched Adkins after a draw at Chelsea and we were all horrified?

I remain steadfastly in the Pellegrino out camp.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Much better second half. Really enjoyed how we got between the lines. I thought we needed to be a little more positive once we had got between midfield and defence. Boufal looked excellent, again. Not sure why he was subbed, but f it means he starts the next game I can live with it. Long should have scored.

That's just ******. He needed a decent run that was all he needed. Never got the chance that we've given Redmond, JWP etc etc.

bollix I watched him loads last season and he was terrible second half of last season, despite plenty of playing time. His confidence was so shot by the end of last season he couldn't manage a 5 yard pass to a team mate. Taking him out of the team has totally the right thing to do and has played dividends. Fair play to Hoj to put in the effort to raise his game.

So much to glean from that. Firstly, as a saints fan I'm delighted with that point.

Stephens is still not a right back. If mkhitaryan could cross and benteke stayed on the pitch I think we'd have lost.

Yoshida, didn't give a goal away through a sloppy mistake. Well done.

Hoedt - joint motm for me, he's one half of a proper premier league defensive partnership.

McQueen, ahead of targett IMHO

Romeu, well played

Hojberg - motm, now can we stop rotating him please

Jwp - played wide right against Everton and had his best game in months. Played wide right next game against afcb and was so bad he was subbed at half time. Been average / awful since and then had a solid game today. Get some consistency and you might just make it, if not you won't.

Bouffal class, our most creative force even though it's frustrating at times. Until we get better he has to start every week.

Tadic. Infuriatingly decent display, against the big sides you deliver, against the rest you spend your time diving and waving your arms at refs and team mates. Apply yourself every match and your great, don't and rather like jwp you're done.

Long. Great effort as usual, but you still can't score. Admittedly you didn't fall over on your face with today's chance (possibly half chance) but we will never score a goal with you as our striker.

Gabbi, look gone mentally. No effort when you came on. If you're home sick I hope we can ship on and replace. Shame as you have real class.

Lemina. Are you injured or not? Put in more effort in 2 minutes today than the whole of the first half at Spurs. Why?

Redmond. Pointless. And we're a better team without you.

Pellegrino. We're happy with a backs against the wall point, but how are we going to actually win games we should win? Today should give you an idea as to who you need to play when fit, and stick to that team. And we need a striker.

Squad overall. So who are the bad eggs affecting team morale? Difference between today and Spurs was a chasm. Guess VvD is an obvious one, but who else? Need to get rid. Is it any of the three on the treatment table? Gabbi? Or is the poison gone. Work it out and get rid accordingly because that line up which in some ways looked weaker than the Spurs one, we showed character, determination and desire, and that will be far more important than star players with big egos underperforming in a relegation scrap. And we are definitely in a relegation scrap.

Finally, not that I care, today also shows spurs are vastly superior to Manure.

Benteke? :lol:

Surely you aren't disputing that he was progressively awful last year? :lol: But credit where credit is due, he's improved as the season has gone on.

Edited by Donatello

bollix I watched him loads last season and he was terrible second half of last season, despite plenty of playing time. His confidence was so shot by the end of last season he couldn't manage a 5 yard pass to a team mate. Taking him out of the team has totally the right thing to do and has played dividends. Fair play to Hoj to put in the effort to raise his game.

Agree - his form nosedived in the second half of the season. His passing, in particular, was a mess. Good to see him returning to his early, early form.

It’s not bull****, peh himself said that he wasn’t working hard enough in training last year, that he had the wrong attitude in training, and that this season he appreciated the need to give more on the training pitch if he wanted to get in the team. He’s worked his way into the first team through sheer bloody mindedness, and part of that comes from decent man management by mope.

Let's not be fickle after a decent result. We were good tonight but doing it at Old Trafford should not obliterate the memory of a woeful performance v Spurs just four days ago. The Palace match will be a vital indicator, trouble is, I fear more team changes will lead to a bad performance, fans then up in arms demanding MP's head and so the merry-go-round goes on and on. Remember when Cortese ditched Atkins after a draw at Chelsea and we were all horrified?

I remain steadfastly in the Pellegrino out camp.

when the onus is on us to attack we have come unstuck. Anyone can hold on for grim life, admittedly it wasn't quite like that today, but taking it to teams and creating chances AND keeping clean sheets is another matter. Let's hope it's a new dawn. Getting Betrand back to mark Zaha would be handy

Benteke? :lol:

Look, I needed a lot of alcohol to get through that game :blush:

Of course I mean Lukaku. And I should add I thought Stephens did well, just unfairly exposed and with proper crossing and heading we'd have been behind at the break.

And there might have been an FA inquiry into secret ManU transfers! :D

Just kidding, we know you meant Kaka... no, Bakayoko?... wait, Efan Ekoku?... erm, JJ Okocha?... hang on, Lukaku?

Surely you aren't disputing that he was progressively awful last year? :lol: But credit where credit is due, he's improved as the season has gone on.

Along with many others. Agreed. The rotating rubbish seemed to hurt him more noticeably than others, probably due to his first season in the PL. In and out and all over the park in different positions with different formations.

Just got back to the hotel. Massive improvement in both attitude and performance. We had chances to sneak the win and it wouldn't have been undeserved if we had.

Hojbjerg my MotM.

The only negative for me was that our subs seemed more off the pace than the players who had been on the pitch all game. Long chases everything whereas Gabbi and Redmond give up the chase most times. And Lemina was sloppy when he came on.

And a special shout out to McCarthy who was confident in goal and that seemed to rub off on the defenders. Has to be our first choice now for the foreseeable future IMO.

Shame that we probably won't start with the same 11 vs Palace (due to certain players being knackered?), as that line up deserves another crack of the whip.

Here's hoping we don't take our foot off the pedal vs Palace.

Great point and a very good performance. Could probably have nicked it. Most importantly, the players played for the manager... and hopefully now that the VVD cancer has left the club we will see this continue.

I know most disagree, but I think we have a good manager here and I hope he is given the chance (and the backing) to show it!

Wow - interesting - did you see how tactically inept he was against Udders and for the previous 19 games! Don’t go overboard ....

Decent effort and some really good play at times but we could have lost that in the first half an hour, where they kissed a couple of sitters.

Also, we really should have scored.

Still, got to be happy with a point there.

Palace game is key to building a bit of momentum and we don't have many winnable home games left so the pressure is still on.