Crystal Palace (H) Thread

whelk

Not the best example, Nicholl suffered brain damage from a career of heading a ball (like Jeff Astle and others), other than that I'd agree with you about the "nation of softies"/over-pampered footballers.

Draw best I can imagine for us tonight.

I didn't know Nicholl had brain damage, how sad. Not surprised though, he would put his head where others wouldn't even put their boots. Absolute beast of a player.

Lose this and Pellegrino will go. But I think we'll win 2-1 - Bertrand and Tadic. Townsend will, of course, score a Townsend Goal because we seemingly have no concept of closing down players well known for 25-yarders when they're just outside the box.

But if the statue isn't in goal it will be harder for them to score a 25-yarder.

But if the statue isn't in goal it will be harder for them to score a 25-yarder.

You just know he’ll pick him. And that will mean we’ll need to score at least two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No excuses tonight. We have to win.

Looked at our remaining fixtures earlier. We have 4 home games left against non top 6 sides, 2 of which are derbies.

Time and favour are running out

This is spot on. I am optimistic given Old Trafford result, and crucially we have the greatest advantage you could ask for in terms of Palace three games in five days.

This is our chance to get ahead of the dreaded “point per match” ratio which is the absolute minimum needed to stay up. Failure to win would be very grim I fear given the makeup of our remaining home games...

I was optimistic after Everton.

Unfortunately, that optimism was subsequently dashed by rubbish performances. Until Old Trafford, which has renewed optimism...

... oh dear!

Same. I'm actually kinda looking forward to tonight, I wonder how misguided that will proove...

Seems a daft move to me. Banged his head on Saturday, can't play on Wednesday! We really are a nation of softies.

Chris Nicholl wouldn't have played 50 games for us if this was the case back then.

It's that the same Chris Nicholl suffering with memory and health issues now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was optimistic after Everton.

Unfortunately, that optimism was subsequently dashed by rubbish performances. Until Old Trafford, which has renewed optimism...

... oh dear!

That's the story of our season , Mostly put on a decent performance when we expect to lose (dippers and spurs excluded) then have a shocker Vs the teams we should be doing better against !

Boufal has to play. He's the only player we have capable of using that "Le Tissieresq" piece of magic that's capable of unlocking what will be a tight and compact and organised defence.

What about the player who is second only to Le Tissier in terms of the number of Southampton Premier League assists?

That's the story of our season , Mostly put on a decent performance when we expect to lose (dippers and spurs excluded) then have a shocker Vs the teams we should be doing better against !

True.

Raising your game for the 'big' teams is natural, but really we should be raising our game for the 'similar' teams (ie. not 'top 6').

The forecast is awful tonight I'm going to watch it on ManiaHD. It's not the match so much as the walk after in heavy rain and storm force winds. After the results this season I just don't fancy being ****ed off and soaked. They might actually do better if I'm not there as I missed the WBA and Everton games through sickness, probably clutching at straws.

Form be damned, I can see a win for us tonight. Improved performance against United for confidence, home tie, fresh new year, and while Palace have improved since the start of the season, they're still beatable. Long will score too.

Quite simply, a six pointer but if we don't get all three points, then Pellegrino has to go. Has to. One of the only teams we can do the double over this season. I envisage a 3-1 thriller.

At least not quite as many changes. The problem is though his positional tactics which are dire!

Watch as soon as we have possession in the hands of our defensive midfield JWP is instructed to sprint infield players to the centre circle where he is marked and restricts the outlet pass. Why? God knows because this results in a lot of recycling of the ball around our back four and back to the goalkeeper whilst our opponents get organised.

Pellegrino must demonstrate tonight that he understands the counter attack and stretching the opponents across the pitch. This was beautifully shown by Huddersfield when they visited us last week.

They probably didn’t have one player that would make selection in our team, however their Manager completely out thought Pellegrino...

A decent enough line up considering injuries to Hoedt, and Lemina’s ankle may still be bothering him. I thought Long played a good game against Man U, but still he’s still a striker who has not scored in 35 games or thereabouts.

Pellegrino does not rate Gabbiadini at all, it seems.

Zaha, Benteke and Townsend look much more dangerous than Long, Tadic and Ward-Prowse......only Boufal gives some hope Saints attack will have some bite. At least MP has given the right side some width and run with Pied selected and McCarthy's retention is well merited.