40 years ago today

humber

Didn't go to that game but do have good memories of the 1977-78 promotion season, and the away following we used to take, many of whom seemed 'up for it', not that I'm looking to glorify it !. As a teenager getting into away games and all the fun of it, these trips were quite an eye opener.

The latter end of the season in particular was a special time, Cardiff even though we lost, Luton, Fulham and of course Leyton Orient will long stay in the memory.

That was a good day from memory. Saints fans hanging off the floodlight pylons, half a dozen docker types attacking the whole Brighton end before the game - all the Brighton fans ran away and onto the pitch, which provided some general amusement (how times have changed). I think Stevie Williams scored that day, although time may be playing tricks on my memory. I do remember the fight in the park afterwards with Police running everywhere. My mates brother actually borrowed Totton College sixth form minibus to take us all down there (we were all still at Noadswood school apart from him). Tottenham away a few weeks earlier was a complete nightmare - stabbings the lot. I certainly wouldn't like a return to those days, although as a youngster it was all quite exciting.

My first away game football special to Hove.

Saints fans in the pylons. Tomato sauce!.

1-1. Skates waiting at fareham station .

Happy days I was 14

Ha Ha ..... one of my mates got hit on the head by a Bottle of Heinz Ketchup!!

Memory playing trick on me, I know it was a 1-1 draw and I think it was Williams who scored, but for some unknown reason I thought it was an early season game.

But I was terribly terribly drunk at the time!!

Ha Ha ..... one of my mates got hit on the head by a Bottle of Heinz Ketchup!!

Memory playing trick on me, I know it was a 1-1 draw and I think it was Williams who scored, but for some unknown reason I thought it was an early season game.

But I was terribly terribly drunk at the time!!

Bit mean of them not to include a hot dog and bun with it!

Thinking of the Arnie one-line after being egged - 'that guy owes me bacon'