Ralph Kreuger Interview

vivasadio

To be fair at least the second part had some actual answers that related to the question asked. I really hope they don't come out with some meaningless management speak pledges in February now though just while we are embroiled in a relegation battle. That would be beyond foolish and would highlight their tone deafness still further.

i don't think the pledges are a bad thing and like everything we do the planning is crucial and this is evident by the timing. We will be bottom by the end of February so a nicely timed and worded pledge from Ralph will give us all a lift at that difficult moment. It'll be great to hear all about the "Saints pledge for a continued striving to excellence" as this small club battles gamely against relegation.

Agree its not a bad thing that the Goas haven't jumped in head first and gone all vince tan. They may just be following the old chinese strategy of hiding their strength and biding their time (韬光养晦). Which is perfectly sensible.

On the other hand, at what stage does humility become paralysing, at what point do they feel confident enough to take bolder action and will it then be too late (assuming things don't turn around drastically)? Hopefully as they watch and learn, they are soaking up info from football people not only inside the club but also outside it.

Agree with this - and if we don't see affirmative action in the next week or so I will place Goa and co into the "worse than current" column. I'm expecting them to drive action to protect their investment.

You can stick your f**king pledges up your arse, Ralph.

Completely. What would it cost him to just say “we are looking at form and league position and trust me we are concerned”? No chance. Looks like he lacks that basic integrity. Just one of those guys that has been around business and found a way to talk a good living out of it, from the outskirts. The world is full of them.

He reminds me a bit of Clive Woodward, minus the Footballing nous in at least one of the codes. Kreuger's words are mostly mealy mouthed platitudes of well worn political/bureaucratic cliches and BS. I actually feel a bit sorry for the Chinese owners having bought into Saints with Kreuger and Reed in charge.

Part 2 of Kruegar interview with Echo.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15804864.BIG_INTERVIEW__Krueger_outlines_Gao_s_ambitions/

Full of **** as per usual. What is clear though there will be no on field investment from owners. It's all about expanding the brand into China and developing land around stadium is my take on it.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Interior upgrades have been planned for a while and nothing to do with Gao, so dont know why Krueger mentions that.

It was very clear before it happened, our club has been sold to someone that has no idea, reliant on staff from previous owner.

Unless we see serious changes from Gao, i want him to put the club up for sale.

True, though the packers have completely neglected their defense. And Hundley is really, really raw and their WRs outside Adams have already seen their best days. Had the QB been marginally better -journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown level, they might have made the playoffs. The Vikings have shown this season you can be competitive without a star QB as long as the rest of the roster is well-rounded. But I agee I don't think a good CF or any position for that matter is as important as a good QB.

True, McCown is actually a very underrated QB - especially later in life. Did a good job at the Browns, did an excellent job with the Jets.

With the amount of injuries in the NFL, I am surprised that back-up QB isn't taken more seriously. Eagles have the right idea in keeping hold of Foles who (apart from the year at the godawful Rams) is a decent replacement level player.

He doesn't help himself with the way he speaks, just typical management waffle from a yank.

But as has been alluded to above, one thing I think we can be slightly reassured by is that they haven't come in and tried to make brash statements - like the Veny's, Cardiff's owners, Brums owners etc. That's one of the small positives I can take from this whole charade so far.

Will be interesting to hear in Feburary, given where we will likey be in the league, those 'Pledges' may change.

He doesn't help himself with the way he speaks, just typical management waffle from a yank.

But as has been alluded to above, one thing I think we can be slightly reassured by is that they haven't come in and tried to make brash statements -like the Veny's, Cardiff's owners, Brums owners etc. That's one of the small positives I can take from this whole charade so far.

Will be interesting to hear in Feburary, given where we will likey be in the league, those 'Pledges' may change.

Was just coming on here to say exactly that.

"Mauricio, you've taken some criticism this season because of your turgid style of play"

"it was the vvd situation"

"you've also had some flack for continually changing the team so there's little consistency"

"it was the vvd situation"

"but what about the lack of goals and games where players have appeared to give up?"

"vvd"

"OK but how can you explain players like Forster, Romeu and JWP who have regressed even from the average performances of last season? Shane Long hasn't scored in almost an entire calendar year. Gabbiadini has got much worse, Bertrand has put in half hearted performances, Tadic has been largely anonymous for long periods."

"I'll just record myself saying the Virgil Van Dijk situation and leave it playing on a loop for you to save my voice"

Classic!

Agree its not a bad thing that the Goas haven't jumped in head first and gone all vince tan. They may just be following the old chinese strategy of hiding their strength and biding their time (韬光养晦). Which is perfectly sensible.

On the other hand, at what stage does humility become paralysing, at what point do they feel confident enough to take bolder action and will it then be too late (assuming things don't turn around drastically)? Hopefully as they watch and learn, they are soaking up info from football people not only inside the club but also outside it.

Shurlock, are you Chinese?

In terms of the Gao’s will they provide concrete investment in the club as well as just the purchase at some point?

"There is definitely interest from him to invest, but he is a very shrewd and clever business mind and he wants to make sure these are responsible projects.

Our financial and commercial team were over in China recently and we are looking for projects where that is possible."

How about some investment in the first team Ralph? You know, that thing that's way more important than anything else you could possibly do.

We're in a relegation scrap and he decides to come out and talk about anything but. I know that's his job but seriously, now is not the time. At least we'll have that record £6m/year Virgin Media shirt sponsorship you're so proud of when we lose the £60m/year premier league money, right Ralph?

The clubs priorities have become maximising profit over winning football matches. Lunacy.

We are working on pledges that should be coming out in the first quarter of this year that will come directly from Mr Gao and the leadership, so you can look forward to that being the first clear statements of strategy coming from them.

They are evolving at the moment. I believe we are at five pledges and the terminology is already on my desk and we will probably get them out after my meetings in February.

So, as everyone can see I have been very harsh and unfair in my representations of the board, they are bloody hard at work sorting out our situation. And not on meaningless PR guff, either.

While some 'fans' (let's face it, probably pant wetting panic merchants), are concerned that we are only above the relegation zone on goal difference bottom of the so-called form table, Ralph has the terminology of the pledges on his desk. ON HIS DESK - SO STOP MOANING.

Now all he needs is a month to undergo the torturous process of altering 20 words using grammarly (it ain't easy being a chairman of a small club) before releasing the final proofs and jetting off for another 3 months. Which will completely revolutionise our tactics and positional sense on the pitch. I mean, if we get the document out in February. We 'probably' will. But you've got to understand, 30 days is a tight turnaround time for a couple of pieces of A4.

As you can see, this resolves the issue with the team management and club direction, so stop your talk of social media disruption and chanting against the manager and board, and get behind the team FFS you bunch of crybabys. It's worked for 22 games so far!

So, as everyone can see I have been very harsh and unfair in my representations of the board, they are bloody hard at work sorting out our situation. And not on meaningless PR guff, either.

While some 'fans' (let's face it, probably pant wetting panic merchants), are concerned that we are only above the relegation zone on goal difference bottom of the so-called form table, Ralph has the terminology of the pledges on his desk. ON HIS DESK - SO STOP MOANING.

Now all he needs is a month to undergo the torturous process of altering 20 words using grammarly (it ain't easy being a chairman of a small club) before releasing the final proofs and jetting off for another 3 months. Which will completely revolutionise our tactics and positional sense on the pitch. I mean, if we get the document out in February. We 'probably' will. But you've got to understand, 30 days is a tight turnaround time for a couple of pieces of A4.

As you can see, this resolves the issue with the team management and club direction, so stop your talk of social media disruption and chanting against the manager and board, and get behind the team FFS you bunch of crybabys. It's worked for 22 games so far!

Like it!

It's probably already written and ready to go out... He's probably just waiting a month or 2 as he may need to change the line:

We will be back playing European football in 3 years

with

We will be back playing Premier League football in 3 years

Doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence that anything that’s required to save our season is going to be done does it? A month to finalise five meaningless sentences? Ridiculous. Here’s my advice Ralph, save the paper, as you’ll need to throw those pledges out the window in May if we are in the Championship.

But as has been alluded to above, one thing I think we can be slightly reassured by is that they haven't come in and tried to make brash statements - like the Veny's, Cardiff's owners, Brums owners etc. That's one of the small positives I can take from this whole charade so far.

same way i see it too.

at the end of the day I don't want an owner to be really public and say yes, we will spend £200m and be all arrogant about it only to hit us in the ar*e. Maybe staying quiet means we can hide from all other clubs how much we really do have to spend.

Part 2 of Kruegar interview with Echo.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15804864.BIG_INTERVIEW__Krueger_outlines_Gao_s_ambitions/

Full of **** as per usual. What is clear though there will be no on field investment from owners. It's all about expanding the brand into China and developing land around stadium is my take on it.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Reading that you'd barely know he was talking about a football club. VVD is less a cloud, more a smokescreen. The real issue for the Board is the change of ownership. No clarity of purpose. The board has taken its eye off the ball with potentially dire consequences.

I found Ralph’s draft pledges for the new owner held down by a hockey puck paper weight on Ralph’s desk. They really ought to help Mr. Gao fit in with the corporate culture at Saints’ head office as they look at the club’s problems problem from 40 thousand feet and employ some blue sky thinking to help get us out of this mess. The draft pledges are as follows...

Pledge 1: I will do nothing over a prolonged period of time in the face of an urgent need for action and will simply hope that things will work out by themselves. That ought to fix things.

Pledge 2: I will blame Virgil van Dijk for everything.

Pledge 3: If people laugh at me when I apply Pledge 2, I will blame Puel instead. That ought to do the trick.

Pledge 4: I will visit a tattooist and pay him to emblazon the words “We are a small club” prominently on my skin, right under my “single digits” tattoo. When anyone asks me why things are going wrong, I will simply bare my new tattoo.

Pledge 5: I will tell myself repeatedly every morning after I’ve brushed my teeth That Premier League football really is just like hockey.

That does sound to me alot like they don't trust him to get the job done. I mean, why else would senior management get involved at that level. What they are doing is MPs job. That is what is happening, no matter how he publically spins it. He must realise this. LR and RK are attempting to repair some damage. To me, this says the writing is on the wall for the manager. Steady the ship, deal with the players, and hope to start the fix before the new man starts. If I were in a management position and my bosses got more hands on, I would certainly not be appreciative. I would be planning my next move elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Words fail me. The fans do not care whether Lees Reed or Kruger go for a mass bowling session/lunch/orgy or whatever with the players - we want to know what will you do about Pellegrino and will you buy any players in this window, how is progress going in that regard?

FFS, i couldn't care less if Kruger and the players eat curry together.

I'm really not sure what people were expecting re:Gao's investment into the club? Many of us that have been close to the buy out have been repeating for a long time (even pre buyout) that's it's not a good thing.

Gao isn't interested in the football side of things and that this is an investment about bringing his company into Southampton to do building work and infrastructure work.

We're just an easy in to the city, and a relatively cheap buy for getting influence and leverage in Southampton.

Obviously most people have ignored this because they don't want to believe it, but it's the truth, hence why i warned before the buyout it was a bad thing.

My only hope is that the club having premier league status is of importance to the way he's seen in China which forces him to act, but i'm not holding my breath, and i'm definitely not expecting anything in terms of investment on the football side of things.

What Guan has been saying about things taking backwards steps rings true about many things, although Guan if i can address you directly there are a couple of things that i'm interested in, firstly i know that non playing staff have had "issues" with getting pay rises, is that one of the things that's causing the leavers? And i assume new hires are being taken on at a lower rate?

The other part is something you said about Krueger flying in, i'm sorry but that doesn't ring true to me (i need to be careful here) but I know for a fact he's had meetings in Southampton pre xmas (semi regularly) as has Gao as i know someone involved in those meetings. I also know that those meetings stopped for two weeks because "football business" (translation VVD) had taken precedence.

Of course the board etc. do conferences, and from what i understand some of the senior members have been setting up something along the lines of our academy in China recently, but they're also actively working with people in Southampton Football club and in the city, particularly around the integration of the board and Gao's.

So i'm interested to know Guan if that's what you're alluding to? Or are you speaking longer term/historically.

Last post of the day from me sorry.

“We work as a unit but results are part of life and when we play a game you have to be ready to lose. If not don’t play.”

oh oh we are certainly ready to lose under you ! What a bloody stupid statement from our glorious manager

Personally I think it is not a bad thing that the Chinese haven't made huge drastic changes - we don't want to be unveiling Gianfranco Zola anytime soon - and I am pleased they haven't come out with outlandish promises that ultimately wouldn't be fulfilled.My expectation was that Goa would be equal or worse than the Leibherrs in terms of investment/dedication so on that score I can't say I am disappointed because I've never for a minute thought they were going to "take us to the next level" (ie come in and pi ss a load of money away on fees and wages and make "statement" signing all over the shop).

Goa hasn't done anything to disappoint me yet. The issues are all more immediate and operational - we have a dreadful manager and we are listing into the Championship. The current leadership team, not just the new owners, should be acting and being seen to act. Which in the first instance is sack that useless pri ck Pellegrino immediately.

I agree with you 100%. When Les and Co started talking about getting into the CL and not having to sell people it set unrealistic expectations here.

However on the other hand he hasn't actually made any promises at all, not even talked about his plans. The bit about investment in the club is worrying to me because it sounds as though he doesn't plan to do that and will follow Kats plan of loaning the money to the club with the intention of getting it back + interest. Which is fine as its a business after all. But right now we are showing what happens when you don't invest and you stand still. Even if it isn't his own money a lot of the vvd money needs to go into the club and buy players. Good players. That won't be cheap in the January window. But that is a consequence of poor planning and action from the board in previous windows. We have to spend money now due to their mistakes.

He's dining with the players now, apparently.

Our problems are over.

They will go out and perform just to avoid his Yank management-speak disturbing their lunchtime..

Jesus.

Do you think he'd have tried to go all hip and relative to them?...trying to 'relate'. Would he be sharing management-speak snippets of wisdom?

Wonder what the squad have nicknamed him?!

He's dining with the players now, apparently.

Our problems are over.

They will go out and perform just to avoid his Yank management-speak disturbing their lunchtime..

:lol:

Stop projecting big fella.

Edited by shurlock

Words fail me. The fans do not care whether Lees Reed or Kruger go for a mass bowling session/lunch/orgy or whatever with the players - we want to know what will you do about Pellegrino and will you buy any players in this window, how is progress going in that regard?

FFS, i couldn't care less if Kruger and the players eat curry together.

Coukd you imagine the reaction of someone like big Sam if the chairman decided to start lending his advice to his players over lunch at Everton?

Don't like this comment. What does it mean?

“For me it’s great. Even Les Reed has been working as a manager. "

Arguably something lost in translation. Misuse of the present perfect progressive tense which implies he’s currently managing. My sense is that he means Les has past experience of football management, so also has advice and ideas to share.

So first he's saying he needs help on and off the pitch then he tells us the fab 3 are running things at the training ground ?

Perhaps one of the fab 3 could join Pellegrino on the bench during games. They could explain tactics, pro-active substitutions and how to react to the other team’s formation and personnel changes in the second half. It’d be great.

Don't like this comment. What does it mean?

“For me it’s great. Even Les Reed has been working as a manager. "

Les is an ideal sounding board for Pellegrino. He knows exactly what it’s like to be the worst manager in a clubs history

I'm really not sure what people were expecting re:Gao's investment into the club? Many of us that have been close to the buy out have been repeating for a long time (even pre buyout) that's it's not a good thing.

Gao isn't interested in the football side of things and that this is an investment about bringing his company into Southampton to do building work and infrastructure work.

We're just an easy in to the city, and a relatively cheap buy for getting influence and leverage in Southampton.

Obviously most people have ignored this because they don't want to believe it, but it's the truth, hence why i warned before the buyout it was a bad thing.

My only hope is that the club having premier league status is of importance to the way he's seen in China which forces him to act, but i'm not holding my breath, and i'm definitely not expecting anything in terms of investment on the football side of things.

What Guan has been saying about things taking backwards steps rings true about many things, although Guan if i can address you directly there are a couple of things that i'm interested in, firstly i know that non playing staff have had "issues" with getting pay rises, is that one of the things that's causing the leavers? And i assume new hires are being taken on at a lower rate?

The other part is something you said about Krueger flying in, i'm sorry but that doesn't ring true to me (i need to be careful here) but I know for a fact he's had meetings in Southampton pre xmas (semi regularly) as has Gao as i know someone involved in those meetings. I also know that those meetings stopped for two weeks because "football business" (translation VVD) had taken precedence.

Of course the board etc. do conferences, and from what i understand some of the senior members have been setting up something along the lines of our academy in China recently, but they're also actively working with people in Southampton Football club and in the city, particularly around the integration of the board and Gao's.

So i'm interested to know Guan if that's what you're alluding to? Or are you speaking longer term/historically.

Last post of the day from me sorry.

You seem a bit confused. It’s one thing to say that the deal raises lots of red flags -lots of people have expressed concerns, you’re not particularly in a minority here, despite what you think; it’s quite another thing to say that Gao is only interested in raising his visibility in the city so his company can secure building and infrastructure work. With all due respect, I suggest you don’t know much about how Chinese businessmen have viewed the UK as a destination for investment and place to do business.

Edited by shurlock

I suppose it's a matter of what you're used to. To my ear, he doesn't have an American drawl at all.

We’re not at all used to our Chairmen ever saying ‘hockey coach’ or ‘aiming for single digits’ in interviews. That combined with a North American accent - I can see where he was coming from

What Guan has been saying about things taking backwards steps rings true about many things, although Guan if i can address you directly there are a couple of things that i'm interested in, firstly i know that non playing staff have had "issues" with getting pay rises, is that one of the things that's causing the leavers? And i assume new hires are being taken on at a lower rate

Can I just add something to this..... apparently (well I know at least 1 person is and I’d imagine whispers go round) a number of people are a bit ****ed off that Kelv “unjustifiably & unwarranted” promotion to the first team. Especially when, as you’ve said, others who apparently do a decent job, struggle to get any sort of pay rise at the moment.

Thanks for the rest of your information though... it truly does appear that Kat has sold us down the river to any Tom, **** or Harry.

I do wonder if this has any correlation to why Gareth Rogers left the club. Something that (to me anyway) was kept extremely secret.