Saints 1 Palace 2 - Post Match

St Chalet

Assuming we can now attract decent reinforcements in the transfer window, I don’t want Pellegrino anywhere near them. He simply cannot string two decent performances together. He can’t even string two average performances together.
He can't string to half's of average performance together...

that is not the managers fault. Players first touches are not good enough and we have not enough players with the ability, stength and technique to play forwards. Players instead play it safer because they are not good enough or confident enough. Romeu a case in point. Almost every forward ball he played tonight was intercepted, so in the end stopped trying them.
he's sucked the confidence and any thought of attacking play out of the team, At least with Puel you could see structure in the play, ok it was too slow for thehome games but at least we created chances

Davis - past it

Stephens - a youngster who is being ruined

Boufal- utterly inconsistent

Soares- poor and lacking bottle

Bertrand- going through the motions

Jwp- good crosser of a ball, everything else below average or worse

Lemina- started well now as bad as anyone else

Romeu- chalk and cheese from last year. Abysmal by comparison.

Long - runs a lot and never ever scores.

Yoshida- error prone and unreliable.

Redmond - our poorest performer this year and that's really saying something.

Just a few of the absolute tossers we have on show this year. I genuinely struggle to think of anyone apart from Hojbjerg who has been even average or above this season. Utterly abysmal and the entire management should be ashamed.

Yet we could have won that with a manager who has any clue. Do we have the Guinness book of records for length of time making a sub? Why go to bring on Lemina then dont?

What was Davis going to do when we were being over run instead of JWP?

Change it when they brought on Sahko you tool...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Davis - past it

Stephens - a youngster who is being ruined

Boufal- utterly inconsistent

Soares- poor and lacking bottle

Bertrand- going through the motions

Jwp- good crosser of a ball, everything else below average or worse

Lemina- started well now as bad as anyone else

Romeu- chalk and cheese from last year. Abysmal by comparison.

Long - runs a lot and never ever scores.

Yoshida- error prone and unreliable.

Redmond - our poorest performer this year and that's really saying something.

Just a few of the absolute tossers we have on show this year. I genuinely struggle to think of anyone apart from Hojbjerg who has been even average or above this season. Utterly abysmal and the entire management should be ashamed.

Agree with all that except Cedric, who I think is one of the better players at the club.

Agree with all that except Cedric, who I think is one of the better players at the club.

There are 1 or 2 drops of quality in an otherwise mediocre squad. Romeu has always been pretty average and I must admit I've never been a huge fan of Cedric. Not a bad player, don't get me wrong, but he always flatters to decieve for me.

We've managed to assamble one of our biggest premier league squads with such a glaring lack of genuine ability in key area's.

I'm with you. Almost every post on here focuses on MP, with the odd mention of Reed and Krueger. The players get a complete pass. That cant be right. It's a squad full of mediocrity. Massive trouble.

Sorry but it’s team selection and really poor or non existent tactics which are killing us. Watch closely the players are only carrying out instructions to the letter.

Tonight was just a repeat of the previous games. No outlet because he compressed everyone in the bloody centre circle, sit deep and sub off our best players...

That is what this buffoon does every match!

At 60 minutes CP started getting on top. It was screaming out for fresh legs. Our manager did nothing, and predictably we went 1-0 down. FFS please sack the clueless idiot now!

The game was teetering on about 55mins, neither side really doing anything. Palace's manager, the OAP, saw that and brought on fresh legs who changed the game. We stood still and brought on Davis.

I've always been a fan of Davis, but his legs are gone now. He's no longer a top level player.

Sorry but it’s team selection and really poor or non existent tactics which are killing us. Watch closely the players are only carrying out instructions to the letter.

Tonight was just a repeat of the previous games. No outlet because he compressed everyone in the bloody centre circle, sit deep and sub off our best players...

That is what this buffoon does every match!

Wake up pal. We’re bang average, manager or no manager. It doesn’t take much to get sucked into a dogfight.

It is hard to defend the manager in any way shape or form tonight (and I have been against sacking him).

Did the wind suit the long ball team with nothing but pace/power players?

Even so, there was no passion from our players second half. We got 1-0 up and then we sat deep and took no risks... We basically invited a team of long ball merchents to hoof it into our box and shoot from range. What the hell did we think would happen with the wind blowing towards our goal.

Also, palace were on top and we waited and waited to change things. Then when we did, we bypassed our midfield and hoofed it with players that are ill equipped for that style of play.

There can be no excuse from the manager (or the players) for that second half in a must not lose game!

But when all is said and done. The squad is simply terrible. And it is no surprise where we are.

We used to have Forster, Bertrand, Cedric, Toby, VVD, Fonte, Morgan, Wanyama, Davis, Mane, Tadic, Pelle.

We have lost everyone in bold, and despite apparently making loads of money from tv revenues, sales, sponsorship etc etc etc... we have replaced every single one of them with a player who is no better and is often worse. That can only be the fault of this board. They fell out with Poch, they fell out with Koeman, they ripped up both their squads, hired puel, hired mopey... They are responsible for all of this and the club is in freefall.

Did anyone see the supporters on the pitch?

It was some teenagers. One went up to Bertrand, the other one fell over then didn't know what to do so jogged around for a bit before running towards the Itchen where he got ushered away by the stewards.

Of course, V-VD has only just left, so we can't expect a transformation in the team immediately. It will take a few more games and pep talks from Krueger, the great motivational speaker until the team spirit returns and then we will be unbeatable. The first sign ofn this turnaround happened earlier than expected when Long scored.

Seriously though, Pellegrino must go before he gets us relegated and if Krueger and the board aren't prepared to countenance the drastic action that is required, then perhaps it is time to get on their backs with organised protests.

Had Long been a decent striker, he could have had a brace before a minute and a half. The match was a tale of two halves, when having scored, we dominated possession and frustrated Palace. But not having scored again when we had the momentum, Hodgson had time for a tactical assessment of how they could turn the match and he made a change immediately the second half began. As time wore on, Palace came more into it, gained more possession, won more of the 50/50 balls in midfield and gradually pinned us further into our own half. It was only a matter of time until they equalised and having done so, their heads were up and ours went down. Hodgson made two tactical substitutions before Pellegrino even made his first and having seen that our midfield was being overrun, Pellegrino decided to weaken it still further by taking off Hojbjerg for Davis. From that moment on Palace could have scored even more.

It was a pleasant surprise to see both Gabbiadini and Long up front together, but the match was already lost by the time he did it. Why it never occurs to him that the time to have two strikers up front at home is from the first whistle, I don't know. Quite why Lemina wasn't played, or why Hoedt didn't start is beyond me.

If this clown gets us relegated, I don't think that I could be bothered continuing to watch this dross that his teams serve up in the league below. If the football we play is at least entertaining and full of commitment, then fair enough. But it hasn't been since the end of last season, and I've pretty well had enough of it.

Hoed has possible concussion.

that is not the managers fault. Players first touches are not good enough and we have not enough players with the ability, stength and technique to play forwards. Players instead play it safer because they are not good enough or confident enough. Romeu a case in point. Almost every forward ball he played tonight was intercepted, so in the end stopped trying them.

It is if he tells you that is how to play. I don't mean to deliberately have a bad touch etc. rather the approach - wasn't it OR that said openly in an interview early in the season that MP had them playing differently - something along the lines of their first thought even when Saints had possession particularly in the opposition half was what if I lose the ball, how can I set up to win it back? Confidence is a big thing in football, specially when attacking, so if you set up for recovery, mentally you are not giving everything going forward or at pace. So players are thinking mustn't give the ball away, mustn't give the ball away, and if I do need to be in front of their player to win it back - guess what you slow down, over think it, mind plays tricks and you lose the ball, make a bad pass and the urgency goes out of the game. Did you notice how many times NR pulled out of crossing to the box and pass backward / sideways? 3 to 4 times in one move alone - he was scared to do so.

Look at MP's previous jobs - everyone is exactly the same - exactly. In a slower league you might get away with that approach, but not in the PL. Reed either point blank lied about getting a manager with a faster / more exciting / quicker attacking style of play, or is no longer capable of spotting that - either way needs to jog on and enjoy his retirement. Personally I believe he though he had Touchel in the bag and pulled the trigger on Puel and when it didn't come off, panicked and went for MP - when it seemed like Palace were about to appoint him.

It is hard to defend the manager in any way shape or form tonight (and I have been against sacking him).

Did the wind suit the long ball team with nothing but pace/power players?

Even so, there was no passion from our players second half. We got 1-0 up and then we sat deep and took no risks... We basically invited a team of long ball merchents to hoof it into our box and shoot from range. What the hell did we think would happen with the wind blowing towards our goal.

Also, palace were on top and we waited and waited to change things. Then when we did, we bypassed our midfield and hoofed it with players that are ill equipped for that style of play.

There can be no excuse from the manager (or the players) for that second half in a must not lose game!

But when all is said and done. The squad is simply terrible. And it is no surprise where we are.

We used to have Forster, Bertrand, Cedric, Toby, VVD, Fonte, Morgan, Wanyama, Davis, Mane, Tadic, Pelle.

We have lost everyone in bold, and despite apparently making loads of money from tv revenues, sales, sponsorship etc etc etc... we have replaced every single one of them with a player who is no better and is often worse. That can only be the fault of this board. They fell out with Poch, they fell out with Koeman, they ripped up both their squads, hired puel, hired mopey... They are responsible for all of this and the club is in freefall.

I don't post much if at all but this sums up how I feel. Time to look elsewhere.

I don’t know what he said to the players at half time but that must go down as one of the most demotivational speeches ever.

Would you have been inspired by MP, Reed or Krueger, or similar bs merchants during your career? No me neither.

If I was anywhere as bad as that trio at my day job my organisation would have sacked me long ago

Terrible conditions which obviously favoured the team playing away from the Chapel.

Both teams were poor with passes going astray all over the place. Even when on top in the first half we were passing almost as often to a Palace player as our own.

The players being down on their haunches at the end pretty much signals to me that the fight has gone.

With only Brighton, Bournemouth and Stoke to play at Home where we should get points I think we may as well start planning for the next level...

Would you have been inspired by MP, Reed or Krueger, or similar bs merchants during your career? No me neither.

If I was anywhere as bad as that trio at my day job my organisation would have sacked me long ago

Those players tonight didn’t care about the board. The first half was competent and encouraging. They came out for the second and gave Palace the initiative.

Those players tonight didn’t care about the board. The first half was competent and encouraging. They came out for the second and gave Palace the initiative.

How many times did we test the keeper in the first half? We’ve managed to put a new spin or wrinkle on the old dilemma of going ahead too early.

Listening to the audio commentary you could hear that a capable manager was making all the difference. Adam and Dave described the change of tactics and substitutions by Hodgson to which Pellegrino had no answer. Already by half-time the outcome was looking very predictable. It's almost too late to save the season because if the board hasn't already realised that a new manager has been needed for months, why should they realise it now?

State of the pitch tonight. Even our usually excellent groundsmen are struggling now. What is going on at the club

Issue with the drainage. Worst I've ever seen it, they had to make the best of it.

Typical that the away side used the conditions to their advantage though whilst we continued to fanny around with it.

So a team that gave us a 21 point start is now ahead of us. Miracle now required.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

How to you work out that they gave us a 21 point start? Surely that would have only been true if we'd won our first 7 games.

Still dreadful though - granted.

Just what the hell is Kruger up to?????

The lack of urgency is completely baffling and incomprehensible....

Is he blind or just plain incompetent?

Does he actually believe all that total nonsense in that corporate waffle he spouted today????

If you really are captain of this ship you better change course right now mate because there’s an iceberg straight ahead - are you listening ?

No - thought not!

How to you work out that they gave us a 21 point start? Surely that would have only been true if we'd won our first 7 games.

Still dreadful though - granted.

Palace lost their first 7 games, ergo dropped the first 21 points.

Excellent, we can get Hughes in to sort this mess out.

Have no doubt that Hughes would keep us up no problem. He's just been at Stoke too long and has been a bit unlucky with injuries and Saido not working out.

On basic competence he's Alf Ramsay compared to our bloke.

Have no doubt that Hughes would keep us up no problem. He's just been at Stoke too long and has been a bit unlucky with injuries and Saido not working out.

Would be ok with Hughes - not exactly abundant options

Can't believe that I'm now actually ****ed off that we missed the bus with BFS, never thought I'd say that.