Why???

OldNick

The club has no excuse to not have made a signing as soon as the window opened. They seem to be able to grease the wheels when they are selling.

VVD was obviously gone 2 weeks before the window opened and so we had plenty of time to get our ducks in a line to buy.

It is laughable how slow we are to get these things done, we had a head start in knowing we had the funds coming in

The club has no excuse to not have made a signing as soon as the window opened. They seem to be able to grease the wheels when they are selling.

VVD was obviously gone 2 weeks before the window opened and so we had plenty of time to get our ducks in a line to buy.

It is laughable how slow we are to get these things done, we had a head start in knowing we had the funds coming in

I expect we had a few players lined up as we knew VVD was leaving 3 weeks ago.

Problem is that player probably knows the mess we are in and decided elsewhere.

Would you board the titanic on its maiden journey if you knew what we know now?

We are only 3 days into the window but it is ridiculous that other sides have already started signing players (Hudds have made a very decent loan signing already) whilst we dither as usual. We knew the money was coming in and so we should have had deals lined up. That said, I'm not sure I want Pellegrino around to have any input into who we signed or to apply his "coaching" to any new players. Would have given the fans a big lift if we'd immediately brought someone in but as usual we sell our players ASAP at the start of the window and then dither about getting players in. I'm all for getting the best price and that would be fine in normal circumstances but we are at the stage where every game counts and having players come in and hit the ground running would give us a big lift.

Its dreadful to even think it. But some posters have said it already.

Gao has a very large loan to service, and that's where the VVD money may be heading... :scared:

Hopefully not though.

Yep. There's no excuse, even though Wreck-It-Ralph tried yesterday to make some nevertheless....

The window has only just opened. How many players have changed clubs already yet the pitchfork brigade are already out in force. In fact they were out yesterday as a thread on the subject was started then.
Well Liverpool didn't hang around. The secret is to be there early and get the deal in. Allowing us to strengthen as January starts not at the end of the month.

Its dreadful to even think it. But some posters have said it already.

Gao has a very large loan to service, and that's where the VVD money may be heading... :scared:

Hopefully not though.

I thought Gao used his own funds to buy the club. If that is the case the club has no debt. I guess he can recoup his money spent by paying himself a big dividend. Can he do that through a company loan? doesn't sound possible to me, but I'm sure someone on here will explain.

I expect we had a few players lined up as we knew VVD was leaving 3 weeks ago.

Problem is that player probably knows the mess we are in and decided elsewhere.

Would you board the titanic on its maiden journey if you knew what we know now?

Would you support Saints all those years ago knowing what you now now?

Teams aren't just going to give us players, they are going to negotiate to get the best deal. They likely know we are desperate.

Not just that ...players will be waiting to view their options. It is the likely reason that we buy late IMO. Why wouldn't you, if a few clubs were interested, play them off against each other and get the best deal you can before committing?

Anyone committing to Saints before the window opened would either be getting a great deal of money more than they were on (eg three times your 60k salary in double VD's case) or know you are not be good enough to find another club.

Get this every window year after year. Why do people think the club is unique? Do they just not notice other clubs also don't sign players immediately? Or ignore it?

Transfers take ages, selling clubs might not want to sell, players look for best options.

Whatever the deadline is, loads of deals will take place late. That's just players, agents and clubs looking for the best deal. No idea why some fans can't grasp that one. They find it easier to believe multi-million pound businesses haven't thought of making signings earlier instead.

Then there's the point specific to Saints - signings will make fck all difference under MP anyway.

Normally you could be correct, but this is quite unique, where the transfer was announced before the window was opened. We must have been working on that for 2-3 weeks, and so we could have done the same. By not doing so and getting pre agreement any signings we are now going for will be millions more. And so the good price we got will be eroded

We have a better record for buying early than most teams. It’s frustrating in the meantime but that’s the truth.

we brought in Bagpuss' son on January 4th back in 2005. Just saying.

2017/18 - July 12th Bednarek, Jan ?

2016/17 - July 11th Hojbjerg, Jan 30th Gabbiadini

2015/16 - July 1st Harry Lewis, Jan 16th Austin

2014/15 - July 8th Tadic, Jan 3rd Eljero Elia (loan)

2013/14 - June 14th Lovren, None in Jan

2012/13 - 6th June Davis, 18th Jan Forren/26th Tadanari Lee