Now 'til end of season. How many points?

marc_saint

January

Watford (A) Draw

Spurs (H) Loss

Brighton (H) Win

February

West Brom (A) Draw

Liverpool (H) Loss

Burnley (A) Draw

March

Stoke (H) Win

Newcastle (A) Loss

Swansea (A) Win

West Ham (A) Loss

April

Arsenal (A) Loss

Chelsea (H) Loss

Leicester (A) Loss

Bournemouth (H) Win

May

Everton (A) Loss

Man City (H) Loss

So I reckon 15 points taking us upto 35 points at the end of the season. Squeaky Bum time!

We certainly need some reinforcements and soon! Not in the last hour of January 31st

January

Watford (A) Loss

Spurs (H) Loss

Brighton (H) Win

February

West Brom (A) Win

Liverpool (H) Loss

Burnley (A) Loss

March

Stoke (H) Win

Newcastle (A) Loss

Swansea (A) Draw

West Ham (A) Loss

April

Arsenal (A) Loss

Chelsea (H) Loss

Leicester (A) Loss

Bournemouth (H) Draw

May

Everton (A) Loss

Man City (H) Loss

11 and relegated

Split the games into four categories:

City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham (H), Arsenal (A) - maybe 1 point from one of these games somewhere.

Everton, Leicester, Burnley, Newcastle (A) - difficult places to go, might get a win or a couple of draws at best.

Watford, West Ham, West Brom, Swansea (A) - probably our best chance of picking up points away from home, but if they're still in the relegation dogfight when we play them won't be easy. A couple of wins and a draw, optimistic?

Stoke, Bournemouth, Brighton (H) - must win games, but I doubt we will, especially as Bournemouth & Brighton have extra bite. 2 wins and a draw.

So, being fairly optimistic - because, given what we've seen this season, what evidence is there that we can beat any team that isn't in disarray? - that gives us 5 wins and 4 draws. 20 + 19 = 39.

Jeez, that's not good. Not good at all.

If Pellegrino stays I can only really see us picking between 10 and 15 points and therefore going down.

I am confident we have the players to stay up. I am concerned in equal measure that we don't have a team good enough to stay up. A new manager (more-or-less anybody will be better than the current incumbent) could turn things around quite quickly. Sadly, after Mr Kreuger's interview yesterday, a change of manager seems unlikely.

On the bright side, only three clubs can be relegated and there are several other candidates who may be worse than us.

We had such a straight forward start to the season, that's where we needed to accumulate our points to give us a cushion during our normal winter slumber. We didn't, and thus we are now in for a long 2nd half of the season where we will somehow need to perform better and get more points from a tough set of games. It's very worrying.

I am confident we have the players to stay up. I am concerned in equal measure that we don't have a team good enough to stay up. A new manager (more-or-less anybody will be better than the current incumbent) could turn things around quite quickly. Sadly, after Mr Kreuger's interview yesterday, a change of manager seems unlikely.

On the bright side, only three clubs can be relegated and there are several other candidates who may be worse than us.

Trouble is a few weeks ago people were claiming Palace were one of those and as every game goes by that list is getting shorter

Under the current set up, with no new faces, will we lucky to reach 30 pts. IF things change then you would hope that we may get more than that, but we are looking at relegation, it has been total mis-management from the very top down.

The damage has been done and now we have to overachieve to stay up.

We lost points again and again early in the season:

Swansea - 2

Watford - at least 1

Man U (h) - 1. Yes, we should have got a point

Stoke at least 1. Very poor team.

Newcastle 2

Burnley 3

Add to that late dropped points v Arsenal and Man C and we're down 13 points.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

January

Watford (A) Loss

Spurs (H) Loss

Brighton (H) Draw

February

West Brom (A) Draw

Liverpool (H) Loss

Burnley (A) Loss

March

Stoke (H) Win

Newcastle (A) Draw

Swansea (A) Draw

West Ham (A) Loss

April

Arsenal (A) Loss

Chelsea (H) Loss

Leicester (A) Loss

Bournemouth (H) Draw

May

Everton (A) Draw

Man City (H) Loss

Under the current clown.

A bad season for us when the top 6 reassert the gap on the rest?

16 games left but only 7 at home. Of the home games 4 are against top 6 sides. Which leaves just 3 against teams in places 10 to the bottom, all of which are likely to be relegation fights. One draw vs the top 6 and 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss against the bottom 10 produces just 5 points for the home games.

Of the 9 away games, 1 is vs a top 6 and 3 are vs 7th,8th and 9th (Burnley, Everton & Leicester). Can we nick a win from them? Looks doubtful. We need some luck otherwise, 2 draws at most from these.

Which leaves 5 away games against the "bottom" sides. One win, 2 draws and 2 losses. = 5 points.

Overall a total of 12 more points. Which takes us to 32 points same as the prem relegation season.

In the past ten seasons, the average number of points required to keep out of the relegation zone is 36.

The schedule looks very tough unless we can nick a few extra wins against the form. Pray for a couple of those or that Stoke, West Brom and Swansea do worse.

It doesn't look good. I'm still hoping for a turnaround, but we've left the new manager option too late.

The damage was done early on when we had easier fixtures but didn't build a solid base. The alarm bells should have been ringing, but because we were apparently mid-table there was too much complacency.

Edited by Shroppie

Waste of time, we're as good as down now and I'm an optimist!

How can we possibly get the equivalent of 6 wins from the remaining fixtures when we've managed 4 all season.

By all means have a go at me for being negative but please be realistic before you have a pop.

The more i look at the detail, the worse it looks. The same form to date would bring us to 34 points, but many teams have got better than the earlier part of the season and our recent form is bottom of the table.

It doesn't look good. I'm still hoping for a turnaround, but we've left the new manager option too late.

We haven't left it too late, we're just not going down that route, he has the boards full confidence and backing.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

It does look that way. As several posters earlier have said, we dropped points under this manager vs easier fixtures and then went into December knowing that it was a) going to get tougher and b) that we needed a new manager in place ready to agree signings right now.

fwiw, Leicester were on 21 points and in 17th on the 12th Feb last year - after 25 games. They finished on 44.

Although the key caveat there is that they changed their manager after the 12th Feb. But they did just keep the 'caretaker' on rather than appoint new.

Edited by S-Clarke

Waste of time, we're as good as down now and I'm an optimist!

How can we possibly get the equivalent of 6 wins from the remaining fixtures when we've managed 4 all season.

By all means have a go at me for being negative but please be realistic before you have a pop.

You're probably right, but I'll be 'enjoying Saints in the EFL' while you debunk to the Emirates in the interim!